Hun Sen Attacked For 'Excess Generosity'

Lite Beer

If The Nation cites 50,000, the real figure could be much higher, could it not ???

At least 50,000 people travelled to a foreign country to see an ex prime minister.

Must be a reason for that.

AFP

Up to 30,000 people had gathered at the site, according to Siem Reap deputy provincial governor Bun Tharith, although an AFP reporter at the scene said the crowd appeared closer to 10,000.

http://www.thaivisa....-at-mass-rally/

And in addition to that:

Thaksin leads 20,000 red-shirts to make merit in Siem Reap

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, his son, sister and Pheu Thai MPs led about 20,000 red-shirt people to make merit at the Angkor Wat in Cambodia's Siem Reap Sunday.

They gave alms to 265 monks on the occasion of Songkran festival.

Accompanying Thaksin were his son, Pantongtae, his sister, Yaowapha Wongsawat, leading Pheu Thai MPs and red-shirt leaders.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-15

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So , it's pretty clear.

About 50,000 people attended.

Looks like Calgary had a point.

Sarcasm, right?

Wrong, sorry.

Sarcasm for sure.

Red shirts given free transportation to Angkor Wat and free admission in to it.

Even if Thaksin hadn't been there most of them would have accepted the freebie.

Which brings up the point of money. The turn out in Lao was lousy. could Thaksin's spin doctors have wised up and got him to pay 500 baht a day to come. It worked for a big picnic he hosted in Bangkok a few years ago.

That's right my pretty, feed the paranoia, feed the paranoia of the farangs. Fill their empty heads with fears. .

No need to 'feed the paranoia.' I'll just analyze it based on facts and statements.

- "Thaksin thinks, PTP does." This one pretty says it all.

- "No more bombs in Thailand anywhere." Well, except for maybe a few more in southern provinces, but who cares about that?

- "Reconciliation now!" As long as PTP calls the shots.

- "Transparency now!" Well... except for where is the PM when you need her for a vote.

- "Don't worry about the flooding." Unless you're Western Digital, Toyota, Honda, Sony, Singha....

- "One tablet per child." Someday.

- "300 THB minimum wage." Starting in Bangkok?!

Why only "feed" the paranoia? There's so much obvious BS here to have a smorgasbord of distrust.

Be nice to the man he is just rambling on. Have you not learned yet that you can not expect common sense from a Thaksin devotee?

So , it's pretty clear.

Calgary's point being that you can make up numbers as you go? 50000 people expected to go to Ankor Wat, not 50.000 Red Shirts crossed the border to stroke Thaksin's ego.

LOL. Yes, these Thais were going to take advantage of the freebie at the wat. RRRRRRRRRRRRRight.

After you get tired of treading in the sea of farang despair, please have the decency of apologizing to Calgary before you drown.

Thanks.

So are you suggesting that in a normal year no Thais would visit Angkor during the holiday? Laughable to say the least, especially given the Khmer figures of less than 8,000 red shirts. Trying to claim all 50,000 Thais taking a holiday in Siem Reap are there for your lord and master is pathetic.

So , it's pretty clear.

Calgary's point being that you can make up numbers as you go? 50000 people expected to go to Ankor Wat, not 50.000 Red Shirts crossed the border to stroke Thaksin's ego.

The article reported that Sa Keaw Immigration deputy superintendent Pol Lt-General Ben-chapol Rodsawat said some 164 buses, van, pick-ups and cars caried 7,432 red-shirts to Cambodia.

That number (7,432) indicated red-shirts and not the 50,000 Thais expected on a holiday weekend.

So far the official figures are around 1000 to Laos and 7500 to Cambodia. Instead of indulging in TAT type projections let's just wait and see what the final figures are and judge how successful the whole thing has been then.

• Like 1

What's really interesting is a few posts here is the eternal number game. Well let me put in my seven cents:

The number of Thai crossing the border with Cambodia the last few days hovers between 0 <= x <= 1,000,000 with an expected error margin of hardly 95%.

Lots normally cross over during Songkhran and may use the opportunity to go to Angkor Wat as it's free of charge. Keep in mind THB 600 is a lot of money for ordinary Thai (btw, is that per head?). The OP mentioned a bit more than 7,000 red-shirt at one borderpoint. It seems fair to assume that more than 20,000 or even 30,000 people went to see k. Thaksin, some not even red-shirts.

I don't know about the normal spenfding pattern Thai show when visiting Cambodia. With HunSen paying for some expenses that may be the reason some Cambodian business people or not happy with this invasion.

For English people there seems to be nothing strange in all this. They also had no problem with some Irish being feated in Ireland even though those might have been classified as fugitives.

What's really interesting is a few posts here is the eternal number game. Well let me put in my seven cents:

The number of Thai crossing the border with Cambodia the last few days hovers between 0 <= x <= 1,000,000 with an expected error margin of hardly 95%.

Lots normally cross over during Songkhran and may use the opportunity to go to Angkor Wat as it's free of charge. Keep in mind THB 600 is a lot of money for ordinary Thai (btw, is that per head?). The OP mentioned a bit more than 7,000 red-shirt at one borderpoint. It seems fair to assume that more than 20,000 or even 30,000 people went to see k. Thaksin, some not even red-shirts.

I don't know about the normal spenfding pattern Thai show when visiting Cambodia. With HunSen paying for some expenses that may be the reason some Cambodian business people or not happy with this invasion.

For English people there seems to be nothing strange in all this. They also had no problem with some Irish being feated in Ireland even though those might have been classified as fugitives.

clap2.gif

Was there any free food? The local Cambodian people would have surely gone if there was, as they are quite poor. All they would have needed to do is put on a red-colored shirt to qualify for the freebies. I do wonder what proportion of the crowd were actually Cambodian.

Based on the World Happiness Report 2012, Cambodians are amongst the most miserable people in the world (see this post for charts: ), so an event with free food and entertainment would have brightened up their sad lives for a day.

So , it's pretty clear.

The article reported that Sa Keaw Immigration deputy superintendent Pol Lt-General Ben-chapol Rodsawat said some 164 buses, van, pick-ups and cars caried 7,432 red-shirts to Cambodia.

That number (7,432) indicated red-shirts and not the 50,000 Thais expected on a holiday weekend.

Why let the facts get in the way of a supporting exaggeration?

The red shirts went wild as soon as Thaksin arrived at the hotel City Angkor in Siem Reap, flocking to greet him, pulling his arms, embracing him and having their picture taken with him. Thaksin calmed them down, saying they have time as he would stay there several days.

I'm surprised, shocked even. Did HunSen drop the ball? People pulling k. Thaksin's arms, embracing him. Where was the security detail to prevent this? Only a few days ago we had the assassination rumour and now this ? Luckily no-one with an umbrella pricked k. Thaksin in his leg or so.

Mind you the assassination rumour might have started when it became clear the numbers in Laos would be disappointing with few going (or allowed by Lao govrm. to go), and the Lao government less forthcoming and helpful than eternal fiend HunSen. At least the Lao government knows how to protect VIP's smile.png

Edited by rubl

I think this two a_holes are cooking

something up together, and it´s not

a Thai TV cooking show.

That's right my pretty, feed the paranoia, feed the paranoia of the farangs. Fill their empty heads with fears. .

So it dosen´t bother you that your "Idol" is a very good friend with Hun Sen?

It helped put an end to the yellow shirt provoked military conflict didn't it?

If it means that people along the border not live in fear of an artillery shell or a bullet or a disruption of their lives, who are we to protest? Most of the world has normaized diplomatic relations with the Hun Sen led government. Are you saying that Thailand should not?

a Thai TV cooking show.

If it means that people along the border not live in fear of an artillery shell or a bullet or a disruption of their lives, who are we to protest?

Well, me, I will.

I live on that border, not sitting in a comfy chair in Bangkok or Phom Phen, and I was very close to that little incident.

Do you remember at that time there was some serious stuff going on in Cambodia that their brave leader needed a distraction, the whole thing was orchestrated, if it hadn't have been there would have been much more damage.

But now the two great leaders and eternal friends are both in charge again, so what did you expect would happen?

Both of them sacrifice pawns, without a care in the world.

a Thai TV cooking show.

If it means that people along the border not live in fear of an artillery shell or a bullet or a disruption of their lives, who are we to protest? Most of the world has normaized diplomatic relations with the Hun Sen led government. Are you saying that Thailand should not?

Still, my question is not answered.

If The Nation cites 50,000, the real figure could be much higher, could it not ???

At least 50,000 people travelled to a foreign country to see an ex prime minister.

That number does not correlate with what I saw at the rally sire on Saturday night.

My estimate of 10/15,000 is probably more consistent with 7,500 travelers through Poipet and others through Chong Chom and Chong Sa Ngam.

That number does not correlate with what I saw at the rally sire on Saturday night.

My estimate of 10/15,000 is probably more consistent with 7,500 travelers through Poipet and others through Chong Chom and Chong Sa Ngam.

Which considering the population of the country is a pretty poor turnout.

So , it's pretty clear.

The only point ClagaryII made was :

you can make up numbers until you get banned,

and then you have to stop making up facts to back your political skreeds.

• Like 2

Sa Kaew Immigration deputy superintendent Pol Lt-General Ben-chapol Rodsawat said some 164 buses, vans, pick-ups and cars carried 7,432 red shirts to Cambodia.

So, how much did each of these people pay for their bus tickets?

whistling.gif

Of course, the owners of the bus lines just happen to be FOT (Friends of Thaksin). Keep on milkin em, Thaksin doesn't have enough billions.

Do not worry Cambodians! The expense of this meeting will be repaid to Hun Sen a thousand fold. Some of the billions that Hun Sen steals through corrupt oil dealings in the Gulf of Thailand thanks to his eternal friendship with Thaksin will surely trickle down to the peasants. Be prepared to feast on the crumbs my friends.

Be interesting to interview the cockroach on Hun Sen's shoulder which is looking down and seeing the money coming and going thanks to deep pockets Thaksin and cohorts.

I can picture Hun Sen smirking in front of his bathroom mirror, while thinking of the discord which will likely well up within the adversarial country next door. Fanning flames of Red Shirts hair-trigger mass anger, will likely fan future flames in Bangkok. A weaker Thailand strengthens Cambodia, at least from the perspective of the head of armed troops tip-toeing around land mines at a contentious Hindu temple on their borders.

600B entrance fee to Angkor wat !? is that why its called ''WAT"? ,......... has it been moved to London or WAT ? , I was planning to visit in the near future , hope they have double pricing similar to thailand , i'll just send the wife in with a camera ! biggrin.png

600B entrance fee to Angkor wat !? is that why its called ''WAT"? ,......... has it been moved to London or WAT ? , I was planning to visit in the near future , hope they have double pricing similar to thailand , i'll just send the wife in with a camera ! biggrin.png

just wear a red t-shirt and rub some brown boot wax on your face, and voila - you'll probably get in free, thanks to that wonderful guy, Hun Sen (no relation to Atilla the Hun, I assume).

According to the credible source, Thai red shirt group had caused a traffic accident during their return to Thailand from Siem Reap. Their car had hit Khmer people in Pouk area, they killed 1 Khmer and injured few people but the [Cambodian] police didn`t stop them, but just allowed them to go back to Thailand freely. We are like animal."

After Hun Sen had spent about $3 million of Cambodia's money to give them free entry to Angkor Wat and deploying 4500 to protect them, is this what they had paid back in kind to the Khmer people?