Burning Man / Burners In Thailand

JoelC

Hi I'm Joel, I'm an Artist, DJ, VJ, and Party Organizer from Austin Tx. I became a Burner in 2007 and since then I've never found a more diverse and loving mixture of people and worldly ideals anywhere else. It is such a wonderful mix of all the best elements I've seen all over the world and from all it's time periods of past, present, and future. The Burning Man Principles (link blocked) teach a way of experiencing and celebrating life with others in a way that's been perfected over decades into a beautiful blend of everything the world has to offer but also to respect the land and people of the earth. It's a way of partying with a mutually positive etiquette and also in a more expressive way.

Let's form a local tribe, to cooperate and help these principles spread through events here in Thailand. For those that respect the wonderful beauty of this land and her peoples. Let's join together and get something started and educate those unaware. On FB I've created a group to gather other artists, musicians, djs, and BM lovers of all types that want to see these kinds of events happening here, and also to form up with groups to travel to other places for them as well. I know there's lots of you out there! Let yourselves be known! *Namaste!

Please join our group here and tell others you think who'd fit in well! Since I can't post a link here. On FB just search for the group name: Burning Man / Burners in Thailand.

Edited by Crossy
Font set to default
  • Like 1

What you burning?? paper wood, gas coal, sounds good, lets torch summat sometime.jap.gif

Oh yeah u gotta work permit to do all this burning right?

I hear the local Wat pretty much have the burning issue sorted here though?

Edited by travelmann

Sounds to me like lots of mind altering drugs are involved.

What is Burning Man?

By Molly Steenson

Hurtling down the road to the Black Rock Desert, the colors paint themselves like a spice cabinet — sage, dust, slate gray. Maybe you're in your trusty car, the one that takes you to and from work every day. Perhaps you've got a spacious RV, your Motel 6 on wheels for the next days in the desert. Or you're driving your glittering art car, complete with poker chips and mirroring to do a disco ball proud.

The two-lane highway turns off onto a new road. You drive slowly onto the playa, the 400 square mile expanse known as the Black Rock Desert. And there you've touched the terrain of what feels like another planet. You're at the end — and the beginning — of your journey to Burning Man.

You belong here and you participate. You're not the weirdest kid in the classroom — there's always somebody there who's thought up something you never even considered. You're there to breathe art. Imagine an ice sculpture emitting glacial music — in the desert. Imagine the man, greeting you, neon and benevolence, watching over the community. You're here to build a community that needs you and relies on you.

You're here to survive. What happens to your brain and body when exposed to 107 degree heat, moisture wicking off your body and dehydrating you within minutes? You know and watch yourself. You drink water constantly and piss clear. You'll want to reconsider drinking that alcohol (or taking those other substances) you brought with you — the mind-altering experience of Burning Man is its own drug. You slather yourself in sunblock before the sun's rays turn up full blast. You bring enough food, water, and shelter because the elements of the new planet are harsh, and you will find no vending.

You're here to create. Since nobody at Burning Man is a spectator, you're here to build your own new world. You've built an egg for shelter, a suit made of light sticks, a car that looks like a shark's fin. You've covered yourself in silver, you're wearing a straw hat and a string of pearls, or maybe a skirt for the first time. You're broadcasting Radio Free Burning Man — or another radio station.

You're here to experience. Ride your bike in the expanse of nothingness with your eyes closed. Meet the theme camp — enjoy Irrational Geographic, relax at Bianca's Smut Shack and eat a grilled cheese sandwich. Find your love and understand each other as you walk slowly under a parasol. Wander under the veils of dust at night on the playa.

You're here to celebrate. On Saturday night, we'll burn the Man. As the procession starts, the circle forms, and the man ignites, you experience something personal, something new to yourself, something you've never felt before. It's an epiphany, it's primal, it's newborn. And it's completely individual.

You'll leave as you came. When you depart from Burning Man, you leave no trace. Everything you built, you dismantle. The waste you make and the objects you consume leave with you. Volunteers will stay for weeks to return the Black Rock Desert to its pristine condition.

But you'll take the world you built with you. When you drive back down the dusty roads toward home, you slowly reintegrate to the world you came from. You feel in tune with the other dust-covered vehicles that shared the same community. Over time, vivid images still dance in your brain, floating back to you when the weather changes. The Burning Man community, whether your friends, your new acquaintances, or the Burning Man project, embraces you. At the end, though your journey to and from Burning Man are finished, you embark on a different journey — forever. red_paragraph_end.gif

Well I'm sorry for those who choose to belittle what you don't understand. I personally don't smoke or drink. If you were to look further, you'll find it's much more than what you're expecting and it's spreading all over with regionals in most developed countries around the world. Most cities have large Burner communities and they are the absolute best people to invite to parties and a much safer, happier, fun and respectful people than your average Thailand party kids and bar hoppers. Please review the 10 main Burner principles. Especially the one about leave no trace. This is an ideal sorely lacking in Thailand from foreigners.

RADICAL INCLUSION

Anyone may be a part of Burning Man. We welcome and respect the stranger. No prerequisites exist for participation in our community.

GIFTING

Burning Man is devoted to acts of gift giving. The value of a gift is unconditional. Gifting does not contemplate a return or an exchange for something of equal value.

DECOMMODIFICATION

In order to preserve the spirit of gifting, our community seeks to create social environments that are unmediated by commercial sponsorships, transactions, or advertising. We stand ready to protect our culture from such exploitation. We resist the substitution of consumption for participatory experience.

RADICAL SELF-RELIANCE

Burning Man encourages the individual to discover, exercise and rely on his or her inner resources.

RADICAL SELF-EXPRESSION

Radical self-expression arises from the unique gifts of the individual. No one other than the individual or a collaborating group can determine its content. It is offered as a gift to others. In this spirit, the giver should respect the rights and liberties of the recipient.

COMMUNAL EFFORT

Our community values creative cooperation and collaboration. We strive to produce, promote and protect social networks, public spaces, works of art, and methods of communication that support such interaction.

CIVIC RESPONSIBILITY

We value civil society. Community members who organize events should assume responsibility for public welfare and endeavor to communicate civic responsibilities to participants. They must also assume responsibility for conducting events in accordance with local, state and federal laws.

LEAVING NO TRACE

Our community respects the environment. We are committed to leaving no physical trace of our activities wherever we gather. We clean up after ourselves and endeavor, whenever possible, to leave such places in a better state than when we found them.

PARTICIPATION

Our community is committed to a radically participatory ethic. We believe that transformative change, whether in the individual or in society, can occur only through the medium of deeply personal participation. We achieve being through doing. Everyone is invited to work. Everyone is invited to play. We make the world real through actions that open the heart.

IMMEDIACY

Immediate experience is, in many ways, the most important touchstone of value in our culture. We seek to overcome barriers that stand between us and a recognition of our inner selves, the reality of those around us, participation in society, and contact with a natural world exceeding human powers. No idea can substitute for this experience.

But I'm not out to convince people. I'm here to find Burners who are spread around Thailand and want to find each other for events they relate to and want to contribute to, and be connected with others of like minds; However, The Community is open to everyone, but there are rules of conduct and etiquette to understand. Thanks for your interest. =)

Well I'm sorry for those who choose to belittle what you don't understand. I personally don't smoke or drink. If you were to look further, you'll find it's much more than what you're expecting and it's spreading all over with regionals in most developed countries around the world. Most cities have large Burner communities and they are the absolute best people to invite to parties and a much safer, happier, fun and respectful people than your average Thailand party kids and bar hoppers. Please review the 10 main Burner principles. Especially the one about leave no trace. This is an ideal sorely lacking in Thailand from foreigners.

RADICAL INCLUSION

Anyone may be a part of Burning Man. We welcome and respect the stranger. No prerequisites exist for participation in our community.

GIFTING

Burning Man is devoted to acts of gift giving. The value of a gift is unconditional. Gifting does not contemplate a return or an exchange for something of equal value.

DECOMMODIFICATION

In order to preserve the spirit of gifting, our community seeks to create social environments that are unmediated by commercial sponsorships, transactions, or advertising. We stand ready to protect our culture from such exploitation. We resist the substitution of consumption for participatory experience.

RADICAL SELF-RELIANCE

Burning Man encourages the individual to discover, exercise and rely on his or her inner resources.

RADICAL SELF-EXPRESSION

Radical self-expression arises from the unique gifts of the individual. No one other than the individual or a collaborating group can determine its content. It is offered as a gift to others. In this spirit, the giver should respect the rights and liberties of the recipient.

COMMUNAL EFFORT

Our community values creative cooperation and collaboration. We strive to produce, promote and protect social networks, public spaces, works of art, and methods of communication that support such interaction.

CIVIC RESPONSIBILITY

We value civil society. Community members who organize events should assume responsibility for public welfare and endeavor to communicate civic responsibilities to participants. They must also assume responsibility for conducting events in accordance with local, state and federal laws.

LEAVING NO TRACE

Our community respects the environment. We are committed to leaving no physical trace of our activities wherever we gather. We clean up after ourselves and endeavor, whenever possible, to leave such places in a better state than when we found them.

PARTICIPATION

Our community is committed to a radically participatory ethic. We believe that transformative change, whether in the individual or in society, can occur only through the medium of deeply personal participation. We achieve being through doing. Everyone is invited to work. Everyone is invited to play. We make the world real through actions that open the heart.

IMMEDIACY

Immediate experience is, in many ways, the most important touchstone of value in our culture. We seek to overcome barriers that stand between us and a recognition of our inner selves, the reality of those around us, participation in society, and contact with a natural world exceeding human powers. No idea can substitute for this experience.

But I'm not out to convince people. I'm here to find Burners who are spread around Thailand and want to find each other for events they relate to and want to contribute to, and be connected with others of like minds; However, The Community is open to everyone, but there are rules of conduct and etiquette to understand. Thanks for your interest. =)

Boring ad ..............next?

http://galleries.bur...ideo#pastheader

hmmmmmm yeah man far out, just make sure all the Farang burners have the required work permit, and good luck with getting that.

Edited by travelmann

Thanks for the info - the principles are sound and I hope that they sometimes develop into something. There's nothing like a really good party, but hedonistic self indulgement only gets you so far after all. It would be nice if there was some communication network that didn't involve a facebook group, but good luck with getting something different started.

RADICAL INCLUSION

GIFTING

DECOMMODIFICATION

RADICAL SELF-RELIANCE

RADICAL SELF-EXPRESSION

COMMUNAL EFFORT

CIVIC RESPONSIBILITY

LEAVING NO TRACE

PARTICIPATION

IMMEDIACY

RADICAL INCLUSION

GIFTING

DECOMMODIFICATION

RADICAL SELF-RELIANCE

RADICAL SELF-EXPRESSION

COMMUNAL EFFORT

CIVIC RESPONSIBILITY

LEAVING NO TRACE

PARTICIPATION

IMMEDIACY

I think this is all very well, but, I think many members on the forum (I'm not included) are more interested in getting drunk and get laid.

Thanks for the info - the principles are sound and I hope that they sometimes develop into something. There's nothing like a really good party, but hedonistic self indulgement only gets you so far after all. It would be nice if there was some communication network that didn't involve a facebook group, but good luck with getting something different started.

Ha 3 posts by you and 4 posts by your buddy? Oh well.

It might have been naive of the OP to post this here, but that might be his only mistake in Thailand to date.

OP Try the other Thailand forum involving specific wooden entrance portals and good luck finding like minded people (there are plenty of like minded people on this forum, you just probably won't like what they have in mind l, but that's OK by you).

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Perhaps if the OP let posters know some of the other things that go on at Burning Man - nubile young women roaming around the desert semi naked (so I've been told) he might have a more receptive audience.

Just saying...

My sincere apologies for raining on your parade Joel but I think you'd have more luck on the Stormfront forum advocating the contribution hip hop has made to music over the past 30 years rather than getting us lot involved in your project.

Now if your group was up for a discussion about pensions, car tyre pressures and how Thaksin is the Anti-Christ you'd be onto a winner.

• Like 1

Perhaps if the OP let posters know some of the other things that go on at Burning Man - nubile young women roaming around the desert semi naked (so I've been told) he might have a more receptive audience.

Just saying...

As Samran finds himself involved in a scene reminiscent of the "Wicker Man" ending.

^ That seems a bit understated and subtle compared to some of the intercity buses I've seen pounding the Bangkok - Isaan route on Mittraparp.

I reckon they should have gone the "pounding luk-thung, Close Encounters spotlights and Finding Nemo paintjob" route

Burning man is for artists, musicians, free thinkers and various creative types.... the types that so many TVF posters hate. Fun participitory events would be a good alternative to the stale drunken party scene on many of the islands and probably also be well recieved in the northern mountain areas.

Just saying...

As Samran finds himself involved in a scene reminiscent of the "Wicker Man" ending.

If it involves multiple young women, yeah why not....

Just saying...

Well if you can handle getting burnt alive inside a pagan wicker effigy while praying to God for salvation yeah...why not indeed!

Just saying...

Well if you can handle getting burnt alive inside a pagan wicker effigy while praying to God for salvation yeah...why not indeed!

As long as they are naked, MCA, as long as they are naked....

Now that's dedication mate!

"GOD.....GOD......PREPARE TO RECEIVE THY SERVANT............HOLD ON.................LOOK AT THE NORKS ON THAT......LIKE A DEAD HEAT IN A ZEPPELIN RACE"

I thought the cool-consumer crowd co-opted the festival, then took on SXSW the same way, and will keep doing so at whatever kind of cool gathering pops up. You are what you buy, Steve Jobs appointed saviour etc.

A modern-day philosophy that doesn't involve buying something? I'm impressed.