What'S The Story On This Sign?

Baloo22

Saw this sign hanging in two separate locations on Chang Moi Road a couple of weeks ago. I'm new to Chiang Mai and curious about it.

post-152848-0-32482300-1334500605_thumb.

First; Does anyone know if it is connected to any specific action? (From the wording of the English, I suspect it was a Thai person (or other non-native english speaker) that put it up.)

Second; If it concerns the actions of a Thai government agency, why would the person concerned put it in English? What would this person expect Falang to do? If one of us Falang went to the Thai agency and complained about their running their government, I can foresee them telling us to "shut up', "get lost" and "don't come back".

Just curious and and wondering if anyone knows what it is about? Thanks in advance!

And in case some of you don`t know where this place is located?

Go to Mike’s Burger bar and just follow the trail of empty beer cans, blood pools and vomit on the sidewalk. This will lead you to a burnt out police car that is right outside the front entrance of the Spice.

• Like 1

semper

re .. Don't worry about it. There is a place called Spicy (sp)

its now called ;; the spice

dave2 .. turned into the spelling police for a change ; )

Looking at the pic, the building is repainted quite nicely..

I think most other Chang Moi residents/shop owners can take an example from that, instead of wasting their paint on whiny little signs. Some road-side buildings went decades without some paint.

semper

re .. Don't worry about it. There is a place called Spicy (sp)

its now called ;; the spice

dave2 .. turned into the spelling police for a change ; )

Looking at the pic, the building is repainted quite nicely..

I think most other Chang Moi residents/shop owners can take an example from that, instead of wasting their paint on whiny little signs. Some road-side buildings went decades without some paint.

There are signs written in Thai that make it more clear what their beef is. They aren't comlaining of "neglect" in the sense of neglecting to do maintainance.

Edited by OriginalPoster

The sign is written in English because it is the foreign customers, both tourist and expat, that keep Spice in business. It doesn't mention Spice specifically because the poster of the sign could expect significant trouble if he were specific.

All he wants is for legal closing times to be enforced and noise kept to a bearable level in this mixed residential/business area. A reasonable expectation, but one that won't be met.

• Like 2

Go to Mike’s Burger bar and just follow the trail of empty beer cans, blood pools and vomit on the sidewalk. This will lead you to a burnt out police car that is right outside the front entrance of the Spice.

The sign is written in English because it is the foreign customers, both tourist and expat, that keep Spice in business. It doesn't mention Spice specifically because the poster of the sign could expect significant trouble if he were specific. All he wants is for legal closing times to be enforced and noise kept to a bearable level in this mixed residential/business area. A reasonable expectation, but one that won't be met.

Thanks to all for your replies. Never been to Spice/Spicey and from what I have read here on TV, I won't be going there. I am getting the impression that it's a good thing that I settled down in the North-West area of the city (just off of Huay Kaew Road). In other words, the opposite side of the city!! So far, it's been nice and quiet up here. (Songkran excepted, but hey, that was only three days and the big band stopped playing around 2200!)

The sign is written in English because it is the foreign customers, both tourist and expat, that keep Spice in business. It doesn't mention Spice specifically because the poster of the sign could expect significant trouble if he were specific. All he wants is for legal closing times to be enforced and noise kept to a bearable level in this mixed residential/business area. A reasonable expectation, but one that won't be met.

Thanks to all for your replies. Never been to Spice/Spicey and from what I have read here on TV, I won't be going there. I am getting the impression that it's a good thing that I settled down in the North-West area of the city (just off of Huay Kaew Road). In other words, the opposite side of the city!! So far, it's been nice and quiet up here. (Songkran excepted, but hey, that was only three days and the big band stopped playing around 2200!)

Have to agree. I moved out by KSK about 6 months ago, and although it took a little adapting I have discovered that it is really a nice location. Closing hours for the bars seems enforced but I still have literally 60 or 70 of them within a 10-15 minute walk (between Siri Mangkalajarn Rd and Nimmana Rd and another spot up on Teparak Rd) - . I still miss the folks down off Loi Kroh (was there last night as a matter of fact) but, a songthaew down for 20 baht and a tuk-tuk home for 100 and all's well.

Without bars a key aspect of Thai culture would be lost. Really silly, this Taliban attitude. And counter-productive; not sure what kind of business the sign-writer has, but if you take 'bars' out of the domino-stack then ultimately his business would be affected too, via reduced tourist spending, meaning reduced income to people in the tourism business, meaning less spending and investment by them on everything else. It's madness.

Look at for example Pattaya 30 years ago: nothing there; a dusty fishing village. Now look at it, it may actually overtake Chiang Mai in terms of its economy. There need to be MORE and BETTER bars, not fewer.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Without bars a key aspect of Thai culture would be lost. Really silly, this Taliban attitude. And counter-productive; not sure what kind of business the sign-writer has, but if you take 'bars' out of the domino-stack then ultimately his business would be affected too, via reduced tourist spending, meaning reduced income to people in the tourism business, meaning less spending and investment by them on everything else. It's madness.

Look at for example Pattaya 30 years ago: nothing there; a dusty fishing village. Now look at it, it may actually overtake Chiang Mai in terms of its economy. There need to be MORE and BETTER bars, not fewer.

It doesn't require a "Taliban" attitude for someone to think that Pattaya is not a good role model for Chiang Mai and that Loy Kroh Rd is not a good role model for Chang Moi Rd .

Edited by OriginalPoster

It doesn't require a "Taliban" attitude for someone to think that Pattaya is not a good role model for Chiang Mai and that Loy Kroh Rd is not a good role model for Chang Moi Rd .

I agree with the OP. Besides I don't read anything in the sign to indicate that he wants all bars and pubs closed. He probably lives near Spice and wants the damned thing closed when the law says it should be closed.