3 Murders As Songkran In Thailand Turns Ugly

webfact

It's much the same in the west at holiday times, there was always an upsurge in both domestic and public violence at Christmas, Easter and Bank holidays in the U.K.

Uniformed plods would indeed be very busy then trying to defuse assorted ( often alcohol fueled) confrontations, most ended well though, however there were the inevitable losers who got banged up and put up in front of the beak.

Happy days ??????

Christmas Days in Germany are the most violent days inside families. Many policemen have to standby, no holidays for them.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reads just like another day in New York, Chicago or Miami. Thailand is becoming more and more Americanised every day.

I don't think Americans, or any westerners for that matter, take opportunity to throw ice blocked cold water, talc filled water, or any other filled water into the face of oncoming traffic, anywhere near a main road or highway that has fast approaching traffic, do they?

Can't say it's like another day in a western city. Can say the death rates may be similar for a similar day - but there isn't a similar day in the west. Even in New Year we don't thow water at somebody. You'd be arrested and jailed on the spot. I'm not knocking Thai custom of Songkran either, at all, but over the last 10 years it has become more vindictive, less fruitful, and further from the real meaning and intent of the celebration.

-mel.

A lot of valid and worthwhile comments about Songkran. This was my first one, and I fully intend to attend another one. But only for one day!!!! The rest of the time is hell really with most businesses closed and having to get soaked every time you leave the house. The soaking started on Thursday in Chiang Mai and there are still kids on canal road chucking water at motorcyclists today (Monday). I think that foreigners should enjoy the fun along with the Thais - be a kid for a day. But perhaps the Thais should try and understand that we think differently to them and have been brought up (in our ordered Capitalist world) to know when enough is enough. It is also probably in our nature to dangerously swerve while driving to avoid a 3 litre bucket soaking or a hosepipe. 5 DAYS IS TOO LONG, and BUCKETS / HOSES HAVE NO PLACE ON THE ROADSIDE. Or am I "Thinking too much" ???

Get used to the fact that Thais can be jolly fellows but they have a dismal sense of safety. Look at all those motorcycles (before, during and after Songkran) with 3 or 4 people (sometimes 2 of those are children) without helmets and riding onto the oncoming traffic as a matter of routine. As loving as they are of their own children they would not think twice about riding an overloaded motorcycle with them unprotected. Check out all the dangling high tension cables within arms length of anyone on the streets and pedestrian bridges. Remember that electrical devices with a green wire in Thailand is not "necessary" to make them work. Lastly, why do the push a cart in a supermarket, walk on the street and even drive going in one direction while looking at something 90 degrees on the side and out of their peripheral vision? Thais are like children and have no real sense of what safety is. Charming and dangerous at the same time.

• Like 2

Last year, i had a cataract removed from one eye on Songkran day at Bumrungrad. Unable to find a taxi i walked to my hotel at the bottom of soi4. Despite the fact that my eye was bandaged and padded, the idiots still threw water into my face. This is the real problem, no one seems able to use common sense, they seem to go straight for the face.

Reads just like another day in New York, Chicago or Miami. Thailand is becoming more and more Americanised every day.

I don't think Americans, or any westerners for that matter, take opportunity to throw ice blocked cold water, talc filled water, or any other filled water into the face of oncoming traffic, anywhere near a main road or highway that has fast approaching traffic, do they?

Can't say it's like another day in a western city. Can say the death rates may be similar for a similar day - but there isn't a similar day in the west. Even in New Year we don't thow water at somebody. You'd be arrested and jailed on the spot. I'm not knocking Thai custom of Songkran either, at all, but over the last 10 years it has become more vindictive, less fruitful, and further from the real meaning and intent of the celebration.

-mel.

Death rates or killed rates? Sorry couldn't help it....I'm an idiot!tongue.png

It's tragic but not wholly unexpected. I choose to hole up in my apartment while most of the festivities are going on, only venturing out for one good soaking. Here, in Phuket, ice water is the order of the day, which makes me sick as a dog with the heat of the day, air-conditioning and normal water. When you have to go out, have no choice, there is no opt-out of the craziness.

Anyhow, Happy traditional new year to everyone.

Does anyone know why when you try to reply to someones post the system denies you and says something to the effect like "" you posted over the limit of blocks for this message". ?

Too many quotes in the post.

No, i think its too many quotes on the PAGE !

Thai New Year. Water splashing festival? I don't get it.

How many millions of cubic meters of water will be used to soak people, streets and vehicles all over Thailand while over a dozen provinces are going through a drought?

Never mind! I just remembered the age old device to keep the masses entertained and defused: bread and circus.clap2.gif

Don't worry, alot of the water being used is polluted. :0)

Edited by LPCustom69

Barbaric!

Sounds like the UK on an average Friday or Saturday night. People are getting shot and knifed almost daily in the UK. Better ban all activities and lock everyone up for their own safety.

I don't know what part of the UK you came from? but it definately isn't the same as mine.

Please tell us where,so it can be avoided?

-mel.

Murder rates, idiot! giggle.gif

-mel.

• Like 1

I've no doubt this will become a trend! Next year we won't be counting deaths by wreckless and drunk driving, but the number of murders. sad.png

It really is time to clamp down and control the revelling. Limit it to controlled areas, where those who want an official soaking go to meet.

One really does sick and tire of songkran after some lengthy time living here!

-mel.

One of the things I like about Thailand is it doesn't have all of the over protective rules of my home country. The LAST thing I want (which will eventually happen anyway because there is a lot of money in laws) is the "clamping down" of everything. Every time a new law/rule (like limiting to CONTROLLED areas) gets put into place it takes Thailand one step closer to being where I come from. I often have to remind myself of this when I find myself wanting a "clamp down" on things I don't like, things that inconvenience me or things I am not comfortable with.

Sonkran isn't the same for me as it was when I first came here either but that doesn't mean the tradition of an entire country should be uprooted just so, for a few days out of the year, I can get to Starbucks without getting wet.

• Like 1

Chiang Mai Songkran was lots of fun. As always I stayed away from the touristy areas and enjoyed the new year with the Thai's. The bar and pub area was closed off to cars and motorbikes this year and let the Tourists play their ruff water fights. Good move. See the videos I took

and

Cheers,

Randy

I've no doubt this will become a trend! Next year we won't be counting deaths by wreckless and drunk driving, but the number of murders. sad.png

It really is time to clamp down and control the revelling. Limit it to controlled areas, where those who want an official soaking go to meet.

-mel.

One of the things I like about Thailand is it doesn't have all of the over protective rules of my home country. The LAST thing I want (which will eventually happen anyway because there is a lot of money in laws) is the "clamping down" of everything. Every time a new law/rule (like limiting to CONTROLLED areas) gets put into place it takes Thailand one step closer to being where I come from. I often have to remind myself of this when I find myself wanting a "clamp down" on things I don't like, things that inconvenience me or things I am not comfortable with.

Sonkran isn't the same for me as it was when I first came here either but that doesn't mean the tradition of an entire country should be uprooted just so, for a few days out of the year, I can get to Starbucks without getting wet.

As long as you promise us that when/if you or someone you care about are wronged/harmed in some way by this more 'free' system and you have none of the recourse for fairness that you were accustomed to in your (Western, I presume) homeland, that you will not bitch and moan, but rather you will take it as par of for the course of such a 'free' system, and you will adopt the flipside, associated attitude of 'maipbenrai'.

• Like 1

We know that road accidents are more prominent in Thailand than some countries. We know drink driving is more prominent in Thailand than some countries. We know that when there is a 4-5 day national holiday there's the chance that many people will likely drink more and yep, unfortunately as a result there will most probably be more alcohol related problems. However I do feel that many of the people that focus so much on the negative points of Songkran... well... they just like to have something to moan about. You got wet? Ah that's a bummer. Count to 10... it will be okay.

SONGKRAN: A festival that was originally designed to show respect has been perverted into an excuse for people to act like complete morons for an entire week. What is wrong with people, see this asshol_e spraying a lady driving a motor bike in the face at close range with a water cannon, he should be arrested for assault. But the mentality is, this is all done in "fun", She could have easily wrecked her bike and been seriously hurt. But, nothing will be done about this insanity. I really feel sorry for the 58 year old guy on his way to a funeral, I was once totally soaked about 10pm at night near Nana Plaza by an idiot like the guy who attacked him, he was just looking for a fight, I have never been so angry. He was a big Thai guy with long hair over 6 feet tall and much bigger than me, I calmed down and walked away but wanted to go back and for revenge:

fool.jpg

If anybody does this to me, i will drive straight at him.....regardless. Maybe next time he will target the body.

You can see how dumb the Farang is by shooting water to the face. I pure act of wanting to hurt someone. I go to the areas away from the dumb, drunk, mean tourists and this does not happen. This is not how to throw water,

: and Get as grip the festival is not about fights but
with a little fun added in.

Thanks for the photo to prove my point.

Randy

-mel.

Murder rates, idiot! giggle.gif

-mel.

Aah, that old chestnut! Must brush up on 'causes of not being in the realm of the living any more' rolleyes.gif

Songkram is a great holiday as usual we have the complainers who complain about all things Thai.

Well most of my neighbors, Thais, are hiding in their condos. They are also openly complaining about the number of accidents, dangerously drunk creeps roaming the streets and the fact that there are hardly any taxis available. Shame on those Thai complainers of everything that is Thai!

Songkran could indeed be a great festival, but has turned the last into a 3 day binge drinking idiocracy.

Let me get this straight.."Well most of my neighbors, Thais, are hiding in their condos." Far be it for me to puncture your bubble but most Thai's, believe it or not, don't live in condo's! They're just common dog faeces living and working in and around the street! Perhaps if you all took up a petition and presented it to the government to move these "lower classes" into a more appropriate area...perhaps a walled ghetto, so you could go about your business undisturbed? wai.gif

Meanwhile, a male transvestite was fined Bt500 yesterday for dancing topless at a party in Ayutthaya, after relatives delivered him to police. Sarawuth Sapharb, 20, was roundly criticised after video clips of him dancing were posted online.

????

A transvestite is a guy that dresses up in women's clothing right?

Once the dress and bra is off, he is still a guy, right?

Why then would a shirtless guy be considered offensive? People are walking around shirtless all the time.

Do they mean a guy with fake boobs? If so that would be a transgender, wouldn't it?

Not right. A transvestite is a person that changes gender. A man dressing as a woman is in drag.

Actually, you are incorrect (not that it matters much in this situation!). A transvestite wears the clothes of the opposite sex. A person that changes gender is a transsexual. A man in drag is usually a stage act.

Still, if the guy (?) had implants, breasts are breasts to some in government officials and aren't allowed to be displayed in public during Songkran. Not sure about other times. Wanna be like a lady, act like one or suffer the consequencies!

Summed up by TiT!

-mel.

When I was a kid people with guns would shoot them off at midnight on New Years Eve.

Sure I get tired of being soaked but it's a great festival and don't think it should be changed at all. The road accients and very small handful of assults is no doubt sad but I love this country for just taking things to the next level. You know Songkran is going to happen so it's not as if it's a surprise - if you don't like it just batton down your hatches and call 1112. If you do like it then just be grateful that you are living in this crazy whacky country where they like to have fun.

Right on.

Most Thai's unlike farongs are not afraid to live and enjoy it while it lasts.

Farang ! Farang ! Farang ! get it ?

Apparently you got it.

How many people know that Thailand is ranking FOURTH in the world for number of murders pro capita?...Big surprise isn't it?Truth is there is a huge underneath violence, and when the standard smiles cracks, anything can happen, without any warning.Land of smile, land of murder....May be a good slogan for the next TAT campaing to promote tourisme??!!...

Maybe you CHECK your statistic source again

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_per_100_peo-murders-per-100-000-people

Thailand is on 48th Place from more than 100 countries, greetings from the TAT.wink.png

-mel.

As long as you promise us that when/if you or someone you care about are wronged/harmed in some way by this more 'free' system and you have none of the recourse for fairness that you were accustomed to in your (Western, I presume) homeland, that you will not bitch and moan, but rather you will take it as par of for the course of such a 'free' system, and you will adopt the flipside, associated attitude of 'maipbenrai'.

No problem.

If I was so tied into the nanny state in North America I would still be there.

I strongly suggest any one who has problems accepting Thailand is not a Nanny Country might want to reexamine their decision to live here.

And Yes In North America I do have friends and no problem finding women my income allows me enough to live a comfortably life there also. I am here because I like the idea of taking some responsibility for my well being. And the culture is great with lots of friendly people.

Edited by hellodolly

How many people know that Thailand is ranking FOURTH in the world for number of murders pro capita?...Big surprise isn't it?Truth is there is a huge underneath violence, and when the standard smiles cracks, anything can happen, without any warning.Land of smile, land of murder....May be a good slogan for the next TAT campaing to promote tourisme??!!...

http://www.nationmas...-100-000-people

Thailand is on 48th Place from more than 100 countries, greetings from the TAT.wink.png

Those are 2004 figures you are using.

I had heard they were sixth.

The murder rate was high because the average Thai never learns any coping skills. They just except every thing and at a point over react.

Just what I have been told.

You are free to leave of living here is no longer enjoyable for you. Some of us are happy to join in with the fun. And don't forget that these are isolated incidents. Millions have enjoyed themselves. You get deaths and major events in almost all countries. Just look at the UK and USA. There are plenty getting shot and knifed every day, not just during festivals.

Ahh.. the 'You May Leave Its Not Your Country"-trump card! Be assured that the other millions of Thais are not enjoying themselves! The whole Thai New Year has gotten out of hand, turned in a tyranny of the drunk. It's getting too dangerous, also for a lot of Thais who are hiding in their homes for 3/4 days and should they leave as well?

Songran has become a Drinking, Driving, Dying Fest! The whole concept has been lost. That said if the police had a mind to limit the road carnage they could get up off their ar*es and do something.

http://www.nationmas...-100-000-people

Those are 2004 figures you are using.

I had heard they were sixth.

The murder rate was high because the average Thai never learns any coping skills. They just except every thing and at a point over react.

Just what I have been told.

-hellodolly-

So, than bring your statistics if you think the Murder Rate in THAILAND jumped from 9 per 100.000 in 2004,

in 7 years to 37 per 100.000, that is the 6th place 2004 Venezuela.

Thai Murder rate must than got up in last 7 years 400 % ! You believe that?

So bring your LINKS, or shut up!

And, not write here say, what "somebody" told you ! Or are you just unreasonable?

http://chartsbin.com/view/1454 = 5,9 Murders per 100.000 in 2008

http://en.wikipedia....l_homicide_rate = 5,4 in 2009 - 2010

Same everywhere about place 40-50 so midfield !

Edited by ALFREDO

These kinds of incidents happen year round. These are hitting the English press because this is Songkran. I believe that the lesson to be learned is that "small" matters can quickly and easily go off the deep end in the land of smiles.

This is a society where "Mai pen rai" is the standard answer to all bad situations. Unfortunately, things do matter and eventually, when they reach the breaking point, many will react way over the top. Any time, any place, your little remark, or rude action, might just be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

I don't think the violence or abuses many have noted are limited to Thai people. In the US we have had multiple instances of "celebrations" that have ended up turning into riots. Colleges or cities where their sports teams have just won championships have provided several examples of such idiocy. Last year we saw riots in Vancouver, Canada, upon the loss of hockey game. True, it was the Stanley Cup, but still a hockey game! That covers the US and Canada. Shall we go to Europe? How many riots have happened after or even during football games? I’m sure some Australians can provide some examples from their neck of the woods also. Nuff said!!

You can have a crowd of people pretty much anywhere with 90 percent just wanting to have fun and no problems. Add some booze and 10 percent trouble-makers and you can end up with some bad happenings.

• Like 1