Bueng Kan

riepan963

Does anyone living around Bueng Kan know if/when the new hotel next to Tesco (The One?) is open yet?. We passed through there last week and forgot to look in. We will be in the area again in a few months and would like to stay there.

Thanks

Not exactly the centre of the universe but only an hour and a half drive from where I live, looking forward to the report as well. We really enjoy the weekend of 'Dragon Boat' racing in September each year. Will be good to see another hotel as getting reasonable accommodation is a pain during that period.

It will take me four months before I will be back in that area. Maybe we'll visit BKL again in sept. Most recent review of The One Hotel carries yesterdays timestamp, the 21th of March 2012, of Mr. Gottfried B. from Switserland.

Accurate reading is not one of my strenghts anymore: "yesterdays timestamp, the 21th of March 2012" is not exactly yesterdays timestamp.

Btw. in that area, when your back is not used to sitting on the floor anymore inside your own house, you’ll also be able (by asking locals) to find a group of skilled furniture makers living all closely together in a rather small village who are each quite capable of producing nice looking Flintstone-like large family tables and corresponding chairs for frequent shipments to Bangkok.

• 2 weeks later...

Went past it yesterday and it looks to be open now. Signs are advertising a promotional price of 790 baht.

i second that i went past the day before and they have a huge sign advt 790 baht per night ..place looks ok fairly modern ....

Thanks for all the info guys. If anyone can get me the telephone number for 790/night that would be great -- better than the 1,400 with Agoda. I have tried 1133 directory enquiries and all web-sites but still cannot find a number. All touring thaivisa members can get a good deal if we can have a number posted on here ..........

Glad you got the info, I was out voted after tree planting and we went to do some fishing and have another picnic so I didn't get time to get the number for you. And yes, it was pretty hot out there today but all the trees are in the ground now. Bring on the rain!

• 3 weeks later...

My gf is going there at the end of May for a meeting as part of her work so I found this while looking. I would normally go for the deluxe room or more particularly at these prices but the promotion price is too good to miss and at least with a new hotel it won't be falling to pieces.

I was lucky last weekend when looking for a cheap place to stay in Khon Kaen. I've had some problems with lost credit and debit cards so I needed to save as much of my cash as possible. I found the Boss Grand tower (stupid name if you ask me) near the railway station. Very basic, most only have a small window but it's only about 4 months old so everything is new. Not sure what it'll be like in a few years though. It also has one of these windows between the bed and the bathroom. Seen one before at the Eastin in BKK but you can't see the toilet in that one. This is the full width for a reason I can't fathom. Not sure if these are elsewhere or not.

Anyway back to the topic. What is Bueng Kan like as I'll be on my own most of the day. My Thai is not good yet which is a pity as it can make things difficult as I doubt there's much English spoken around that area.

• 3 months later...

I checked in today.. Really is a very nice place clean new and good everywhere seems a big surprise to come across this nice and clean hotel right in the middle of nowhere after a long drive from nong khai to Nakhon phnom and belive it or not for just 790 baths including breakfast for 2 and the lotus superstore next to it ,a ptt fuel station nearby and krungthai bank across the road is almost everything I need to continue my jurney next day. Room is tidy and everything brand new. Tomorrow I,look around bung kan....good night. Oh yes this is the forum that got me here ..thanks to all.

• 3 weeks later...

There is one small bar in town directly across from immigration office. cafe de buengkan run by Tom. Tom's a Thai guy who speaks very good english. It's not a girlie bar but I suppose asking what's available might get you some where. Otherwise, just have a few drinks and conversation with a local or two.

There is some sort of disco looking place in the town but have never been and no other local falang mention it.

• 5 months later...

There is one small bar in town directly across from immigration office. cafe de buengkan run by Tom. Tom's a Thai guy who speaks very good english. It's not a girlie bar but I suppose asking what's available might get you some where. Otherwise, just have a few drinks and conversation with a local or two.

There is some sort of disco looking place in the town but have never been and no other local falang mention it.

Thank you for your help mate.

I am due to go to Bueng Kan soon so this information is invaluable.

Thanks again.

Edited by tlcwaterfall

There is a place called baan bung kan on the main road towards nong khai.

Its the last unit in a row of town houses about 800m (right side of road) from the main intersection into town. Next to the CAT office.

Typical thai club with live band and dj, the locals will tell you its rough but I have been there several times always had a decent night and never seen any trouble.

• 2 weeks later...