Can I Still Get Free Health Treatment In Australia?

giddyup

One thing that really gives me the woops being self funded is if I/we ever decide to return to Australia full time after I turn 65 I cannot get things like a 'Seniors' card or any pensioner benefits. That's pure discrimination and putting 'shlt' on anyone who works toward their retirement.

Do you mean you can never get them or you have to wait 2 years?

Of course they had no idea I was even phoning from Thailand

If they knew you were no longer living in Australia for years then I doubt you would be getting a new card. So long as they don't know then you're okay but if they ever find out you might run in to a few problems.

Edited by kkerry

Of course they had no idea I was even phoning from Thailand

If they knew you were no longer living in Australia for years then I doubt you would be getting a new card. So long as they don't know then you're okay but if they ever find out you might run in to a few problems.

How long is a Medicare card issued for, is it 10 years? Theoretically you could be issued with a card just prior to leaving Australia and be away for 10 years without Medicare being any the wiser. When you present your Medicare card at a hospital in Australia they don't ask if you've been out of the country for any length of time. Now I've given a change of address, all new cards will be sent there. It's only when cards are returned (as mine was) that you run into problems.

Edited by giddyup

Maybe it has changed but my cards used to be valid for two years.

The point is, most Australians living overseas for longer than five years are no longer entitled to Medicare. Misrepresenting your residential status to obtain benefit would constitute fraud I would have thought...

Maybe it has changed but my cards used to be valid for two years.

The point is, most Australians living overseas for longer than five years are no longer entitled to Medicare. Misrepresenting your residential status to obtain benefit would constitute fraud I would have thought...

I've only been in Thailand 2 years, so I'll still be legal for another 3 years.

@Old Croc, I find it strange that your accountant wiped his hands of you --- being a self funded retiree and assuming you receive your gratuities from Australian investments.

I'm in that situation and had the same accountant for more years than I can remember. He hints that what I'm doing is "if'y" but seeing as though my only source of income are investments within Australia and I'm still paying tax although not physically being in the country he is happy with it. As I said earlier I'm into my 11th year.

AND On a more positive side I was stimulated nicely a couple of years ago along with most of Australian tax payers!

One thing that really gives me the woops being self funded is if I/we ever decide to return to Australia full time after I turn 65 I cannot get things like a 'Seniors' card or any pensioner benefits. That's pure discrimination and putting 'shlt' on anyone who works toward their retirement.

Edit: Typos

My accountant is worried he may jeopardize his license by misrepresenting my status. I did tell him all my money originates in Australia, and that that I can never be considered a resident here in Thailand. I felt the ATO rules were meant to even out the tax burden of expats who earn big money overseas and therefore were not intended for someone in my boat.

However he's not prepared to risk it. Can't really complain, his services have always only cost me the price of a good bottle of white wine!

I also was stimulated several times during the GFS, as I met the criteria for several different handouts!laugh.png

I've been outside Australia for two years now. ( I'm nearly 64yo) My new Medicare card has been sent to my mailing address at a friend's place, and another friend will bring it to me soon when visiting.

I'm a self funded retiree (about 85,000 pm) and had a small top-up CL DSP which expired after 13 weeks away.

My accountant has stated he won't do my tax any more because ATO rules class me as a non resident and I will lose the tax exempt status. (will mean a difference of about $3000) He has suggested I do it myself on Etax if I want to keep claiming to be a resident.

In just over a year I will be 65, and will have been away for 3 years. If I front up and apply for the OAP will I have to meet the two year thing or does that only apply to people away for 5+ years?

I'm pretty sure you have to be living in Australia continuously for two years prior to turning 65. I know my friend who had been in Thailand for 5 years had to go back and spend two years in Australia before they would grant him the OAP. That meant he was actually 67 before he got the pension. I didn't decide to live in Thailand full-time until I'd turned 65, so I already had the pension before I came. The aged pension is means tested, so if you get 85,000 baht pm, you won't get a full pension. I have a superannuation pension of about A$1100 pm, plus bank interest on term deposits, total of about $26,000 a year, and Centrelink pays me $550 pm.

Yes, I can only ever get a top-up with the OAP because of my other income.

When I lived in Australia I was receiving a partial DPS which came to about $300 pm. The big advantage was the card which gave me big discounts on meds, utilities, and services of all kinds. These wouldn't be available living in Thailand, so it may not be worth my while even applying for the OAP next year.

I was just wondering if I would avoid the 2yr qualifying period having been away only 3 yrs. Might make a difference if I bother or not.

I'm happy to stay outside the public purse and support myself permanently on my superannuation and investments, but would be really pissed if the ATO wanted to rip extra tax from me! bah.gif

And of course I want to keep the option of having valid medicare if I need it. I certainly paid my dues over 45+ years!

Edited by Old Croc

@Old Croc, I find it strange that your accountant wiped his hands of you --- being a self funded retiree and assuming you receive your gratuities from Australian investments.

I'm in that situation and had the same accountant for more years than I can remember. He hints that what I'm doing is "if'y" but seeing as though my only source of income are investments within Australia and I'm still paying tax although not physically being in the country he is happy with it. As I said earlier I'm into my 11th year.

AND On a more positive side I was stimulated nicely a couple of years ago along with most of Australian tax payers!

My accountant is worried he may jeopardize his license by misrepresenting my status. I did tell him all my money originates in Australia, and that that I can never be considered a resident here in Thailand. I felt the ATO rules were meant to even out the tax burden of expats who earn big money overseas and therefore were not intended for someone in my boat.

However he's not prepared to risk it. Can't really complain, his services have always only cost me the price of a good bottle of white wine!

I also was stimulated several times during the GFS, as I met the criteria for several different handouts!laugh.png

I'm not sure that you can never be considered a resident (unless you pass some very stringent tests) here in Thailand is a consideration by either the ATO or Centrelink. It's the fact than you become a Non-resident of Australia because of time out of the country, not that you become a resident elsewhere. Are you still receiving a "top up" pension from Centrelink? You say that it may not be worth your while ($300 pm?) to apply for an OAP again. Centrelink pays the OAP wherever you live.

Edited by giddyup

I've been outside Australia for two years now. ( I'm nearly 64yo) My new Medicare card has been sent to my mailing address at a friend's place, and another friend will bring it to me soon when visiting.

I'm a self funded retiree (about 85,000 pm) and had a small top-up CL DSP which expired after 13 weeks away.

My accountant has stated he won't do my tax any more because ATO rules class me as a non resident and I will lose the tax exempt status. (will mean a difference of about $3000) He has suggested I do it myself on Etax if I want to keep claiming to be a resident.

In just over a year I will be 65, and will have been away for 3 years. If I front up and apply for the OAP will I have to meet the two year thing or does that only apply to people away for 5+ years?

I'm pretty sure you have to be living in Australia continuously for two years prior to turning 65. I know my friend who had been in Thailand for 5 years had to go back and spend two years in Australia before they would grant him the OAP. That meant he was actually 67 before he got the pension. I didn't decide to live in Thailand full-time until I'd turned 65, so I already had the pension before I came. The aged pension is means tested, so if you get 85,000 baht pm, you won't get a full pension. I have a superannuation pension of about A$1100 pm, plus bank interest on term deposits, total of about $26,000 a year, and Centrelink pays me $550 pm.

Yes, I can only ever get a top-up with the OAP because of my other income.

When I lived in Australia I was receiving a partial DPS which came to about $300 pm. The big advantage was the card which gave me big discounts on meds, utilities, and services of all kinds. These wouldn't be available living in Thailand, so it may not be worth my while even applying for the OAP next year.

I was just wondering if I would avoid the 2yr qualifying period having been away only 3 yrs. Might make a difference if I bother or not.

I'm happy to stay outside the public purse and support myself permanently on my superannuation and investments, but would be really pissed if the ATO wanted to rip extra tax from me! bah.gif

And of course I want to keep the option of having valid medicare if I need it. I certainly paid my dues over 45+ years!

I don't know how long it takes to be eligible again for a Centrelink card once you return to Australia. Maybe you just have to prove that you are living permanently in Australia. The Centrelink card is certainly worth having, discounts on utilities, free doctor's visits (for those that bulk bill), free transport, cheap medicines, discount on council rates etc.

I'm not sure that you can never be considered a resident (unless you pass some very stringent tests) here in Thailand is a consideration by either the ATO or Centrelink. It's the fact than you become a Non-resident of Australia because of time out of the country, not that you become a resident elsewhere. Are you still receiving a "top up" pension from Centrelink? You say that it may not be worth your while to apply for an OAP again. Centrelink pays the OAP wherever you live.

I know of one person who successfully argued with CL that he was still a resident of Australia, because the alternative would mean he'd be stateless. He did own property in Australia which may have swayed the decision. As we know different branches and different people in CL often come up with different decisions!

As I said my partial DSP stopped after 13 weeks away. I think I could restart it for another 13 weeks by visiting Australia, but as it is only a partial benefit, it's not worth the travel costs. I believe many on the full pension do return every 3 months to retain the benefit. This may be changing with new legislation.

What I'm saying is it wouldn't be worth applying for the OAP if I have to live in Australia for 2 years to qualify.

Edited by Old Croc

I'm not sure that you can never be considered a resident (unless you pass some very stringent tests) here in Thailand is a consideration by either the ATO or Centrelink. It's the fact than you become a Non-resident of Australia because of time out of the country, not that you become a resident elsewhere. Are you still receiving a "top up" pension from Centrelink? You say that it may not be worth your while to apply for an OAP again. Centrelink pays the OAP wherever you live.

I know of one person who successfully argued with CL that he was still a resident of Australia, because the alternative would mean he'd be stateless. He did own property in Australia which may have swayed the decision. As we know different branches and different people in CL often come up with different decisions!

As I said my partial DSP stopped after 13 weeks away. I think I could restart it for another 13 weeks by visiting Australia, but as it is only a partial benefit, it's not worth the travel costs. I believe many on the full pension do return every 3 months to retain the benefit. This may be changing with new legislation.

What I'm saying is it wouldn't be worth applying for the OAP if I have to live in Australia for 2 years to qualify.

Sorry, I didn't realise it was a DSP.

hello , it all depends on how urgent it is , if its just a knee or something you have had for a while and now you want it treated for nothing then yes you have to wait but if in some way you can make it look like its a emergency and go into the casualty department in any hospital they will treat it . the other road one could take is to join a private health fund for around 100 Aus a month and wait one year and then get it done .

Cheers .

Without going any further off topic, another issue arising from living overseas long term and not informing the ATO is that you are probably still getting the tax free threshold i.e. not paying tax on the first eight? thousand dollars of your income. I'm not an accountant but as I understand it, non resident tax payers aren't entitled to the exemption. Like Old Croc, my accountant was not willing to carry on doing my tax unless I sorted out the residency issue, knowing I lived overseas.

hello , it all depends on how urgent it is , if its just a knee or something you have had for a while and now you want it treated for nothing then yes you have to wait but if in some way you can make it look like its a emergency and go into the casualty department in any hospital they will treat it . the other road one could take is to join a private health fund for around 100 Aus a month and wait one year and then get it done .

Cheers .

That probably wouldn't work. Health funds are not likely to pay out to pay out to operate on a chronic condition that existed when you started the contract. You won't fool a doctor as it's pretty obvious if a knee condition is chronic, or a result of an injury.

There will be questions you need to answer about your physical condition when you sign up and if you get caught out lying you could end up being done for insurance fraud. These guys weren't born yesterday.

Edited by tropo

Cheers .

That probably wouldn't work. Health funds are not likely to pay out to pay out to operate on a chronic condition that existed when you started the contract. You won't fool a doctor as it's pretty obvious if a knee condition is chronic, or a result of an injury.

There will be questions you need to answer about your physical condition when you sign up and if you get caught out lying you could end up being done for insurance fraud. These guys weren't born yesterday.

My understanding that banning people from joining who have preexisting conditions is illegal under Australian law. They do require a waiting period for up to a year, but this is sometimes waived if you have had a policy with another company.

Cheers .

My understanding that banning people from joining who have preexisting conditions is illegal under Australian law. They do require a waiting period for up to a year, but this is sometimes waived if you have had a policy with another company.

What if you had a chronic pre-existing condition that was going to cost thousands in medical treatment? I couldn't imagine the health funds would be happy about insuring you when all they get is one year's subscription before you hit them with the big bucks.

Cheers .

What if you had a chronic pre-existing condition that was going to cost thousands in medical treatment? I couldn't imagine the health funds would be happy about insuring you when all they get is one year's subscription before you hit them with the big bucks.

There is a reason why the health funds get a 30% subsidy.....

http://www.phio.org.au/facts-and-advice/the-pre-existing-conditions-rule.aspx

Premiums are also capped, so that they can't sting you more than someone else without any problems.

Thankfully, the Australian system isn't the American system....

ps...

I believe there are ways before you leave Australia to temporarily stop your private insurance so that when you return you don't have to re-sit wait times.

I had full private health insurance before I left. I talked to my provider and they said I could suspend paying premiums, but keep all benefits (no waiting periods) for a period of four years. I just had to advise them in writing.

ps...

I believe there are ways before you leave Australia to temporarily stop your private insurance so that when you return you don't have to re-sit wait times.

I had full private health insurance before I left. I talked to my provider and they said I could suspend paying premiums, but keep all benefits (no waiting periods) for a period of four years. I just had to advise them in writing.

Medibank Private told me 3 years but I was only out of Aus for 2 years and 10 months.

Hello , i simply suspend my medibank private while i am overseas and when i return and if i do need a operation i must tell them its pre existing wait a year and i can get it taken care of and claim it through medibank private . but if it is a energency and you cant walk or in the opinion of any G.P you are in a desperate situation you will get treatment through the emergency department .

Cheers .