Resolved: Thais Are The Cutest People On The Planet: Discuss

Jingthing

aneliane

Does have a point. Fashion sense here is how you'd expect it in any 3rd world country that is heavily concerned about face. It's quite poorly done, tacky and usually concerns itself with how to inflate perceived status. Very tacky. Ever been to Shanghai? It's like that. Wearing some expensive brand labels from head to toe to inflate status. Thais seem to do this but with less money even than the moneyed Chinese, with poorer fabrics, and knock-offs that make them look quite silly to anyone who has lived in a REAL chic city -- Seoul, Tokyo, Paris, New York, LA.

It's just like the purchasing of all these average BMWs and MERCs. Just for face. No true style sense of their own. They could care less. They want to create an image (even it's a poor one).

In Thai, it is called "srang paap" which means "to create a picture". Like most other things in this laidback beach-like nation, the picture is more important than anything else. It's why Thais are rather good at design but poor in engineering. Good at copying latest fashion but poor at understanding that some of true style is the quality of fabrics and the fit etc.

Sorry, but aneliane is correct.

If you're concerned about Thai women's fashions, be grateful that it's now and not 15 years ago, when the clothing was really bad. In comparison, IMO, the stuff they wear now is pretty good.

I think the opposite, when I came here first in 2000, women had real Thai style elegance, some women were still wearing traditional Thai clothes, not the one you see now like the Karen women in Kao san Rd who wear horrid-green plastic slippers, cheap western style shorts and quickly slap on their karen hat to sell you a hammock.

Some stalls in Chatuchat were selling some traditional outfit with great fabrics with a modern design, but now they all been replaced by fake aromatherapy shops

I was amazed by the simplicity and the sheer quality of the clothes. And most important they looked distinctively Thai.

Nowadays, it's difficult to difference a young Thai from let's say a Taiwanese, or Korean.

They all wear the same cheap nylon copies and are all dolled up and trying to look like Japanese girls in cheaper version

It sounds like every high street in the UK on a saturday night.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

aneliane

Does have a point. Fashion sense here is how you'd expect it in any 3rd world country that is heavily concerned about face. It's quite poorly done, tacky and usually concerns itself with how to inflate perceived status. Very tacky. Ever been to Shanghai? It's like that. Wearing some expensive brand labels from head to toe to inflate status. Thais seem to do this but with less money even than the moneyed Chinese, with poorer fabrics, and knock-offs that make them look quite silly to anyone who has lived in a REAL chic city -- Seoul, Tokyo, Paris, New York, LA.

It's just like the purchasing of all these average BMWs and MERCs. Just for face. No true style sense of their own. They could care less. They want to create an image (even it's a poor one).

In Thai, it is called "srang paap" which means "to create a picture". Like most other things in this laidback beach-like nation, the picture is more important than anything else. It's why Thais are rather good at design but poor in engineering. Good at copying latest fashion but poor at understanding that some of true style is the quality of fabrics and the fit etc.

If you're concerned about Thai women's fashions, be grateful that it's now and not 15 years ago, when the clothing was really bad. In comparison, IMO, the stuff they wear now is pretty good.

I think the opposite, when I came here first in 2000, women had real Thai style elegance, some women were still wearing traditional Thai clothes, not the one you see now like the Karen women in Kao san Rd who wear horrid-green plastic slippers, cheap western style shorts and quickly slap on their karen hat to sell you a hammock.

Some stalls in Chatuchat were selling some traditional outfit with great fabrics with a modern design, but now they all been replaced by fake aromatherapy shops

I was amazed by the simplicity and the sheer quality of the clothes. And most important they looked distinctively Thai.

Nowadays, it's difficult to difference a young Thai from let's say a Taiwanese, or Korean.

They all wear the same cheap nylon copies and are all dolled up and trying to look like Japanese girls in cheaper version

Exactly. Traditional Thai clothing is not only beautiful, it was often made with rather luxurious fabrics (like silk and linen) and it was rather appropriate for the climate. It's like the beautiful traditional Thai homes and living quarters. They were gorgeous, smartly built for this hot @ss climate and done in wonderful hardwoods that, to this day, are highly regarded around the world. They are increasingly being replaced with cheaper, Western-style homes or very poorly constructed/designed condos (aka: ovens). They are losing their way in this regard by poorly copying the West and rich East Asia (Korea, Japan, China).

Yep the clothing is beautiful, but people don't want to live in the past and the with the cost of teak now (plus termites) you'd have to be mad to think about building a house in it to modern standards let alone a condo block.

Edited by arthurwait

aneliane

Both my wife and brother in law have shops in Platinum and have a clothes factory the quality of fabric is chosen on cost due to most people not being able to afford the retail price on more expensive fabrics. It's about the money people have it's not cultural as Aneliene states.

Do you and Aneliene really believe that these girls that are into fashion would be shopping in Platinum and markets (which is what the majority of girls have to as most earn 20K/month or under) if they could afford to buy designer clothes at Paragon prices instead like the wealthy/rich girls do ?

As said before the 'cute' girls and many others follow Japanese and Korean treands not western. They have different tastes and styles , why are they wrong just because they aren't the same as western tastes ?

Is being so concerned about fashion and thinking yours is better than others not about face too ?

For someone who started a thread about living on little money and not wanting to be like the farangs spending money on western things it does seem strange that now she seems to be concerned about the quality of peoples clothes.

There are plenty of Thais who understand fit, cutting clothes , style etc, but there is a lot more that don't just the same as every country when there is range of people wearing and making them. When the expensive clothes are often made for western figures and then imported here they won't fit thin Asian girls well.

The fit of clothes will get better just like everything does with better education and training. It's easy to sit in judgement of others when you've had a western education.

a/ My name is Aneliane not Aneliene

b/ The "buying lots of clothes at patunam every week and throwing them out the next week" thing has been explained by a Thai girl on 20k a month. They want quantity not quality. It's also the shopping experience that counts.Shopping is getting a huge thing here.

c/ There is a middle way between Paragon and Pathunam.

d/ I am not concerned about fashion, I just keep myself informed like everyone.

e/ I never said Thai people don't understand cut or fits, I said cute culture people here have no understanding of fashion CODES, which is totally different

f/ I am not judging, I give my opinion on CUTE which was the subject of the topic, remember ? smile.png

h/ cheap looking clothes are not cheap looking because they don't fit, but because the fabric is wrong: Example: a 1940's French années folles outfit made out of silk and laces is the latest craze. In Paris all the cheap shops like zara h&m are going to get their own designer to integrate a bit of lace there and there on the usual jumper or top. They are not going to try to replicate the all out because they KNOW with cheap nylon it would look crap. In Thailand they do exactly that and don't care how cheaply or wrong it looks.

Edited by aneliane

Now this has turned to a debate on fashion..Well, maybe it's just me, but i don't care much about people clothes..If i think about cuteness, i think about gentle manners.

Style in behaviour is more important than style in clothing IMHO.

If i think about beauty, a slim body and a straight back are better than any well studied make-up.

• Like 1

aneliane

Both my wife and brother in law have shops in Platinum and have a clothes factory the quality of fabric is chosen on cost due to most people not being able to afford the retail price on more expensive fabrics. It's about the money people have it's not cultural as Aneliene states.

Do you and Aneliene really believe that these girls that are into fashion would be shopping in Platinum and markets (which is what the majority of girls have to as most earn 20K/month or under) if they could afford to buy designer clothes at Paragon prices instead like the wealthy/rich girls do ?

As said before the 'cute' girls and many others follow Japanese and Korean treands not western. They have different tastes and styles , why are they wrong just because they aren't the same as western tastes ?

Is being so concerned about fashion and thinking yours is better than others not about face too ?

For someone who started a thread about living on little money and not wanting to be like the farangs spending money on western things it does seem strange that now she seems to be concerned about the quality of peoples clothes.

There are plenty of Thais who understand fit, cutting clothes , style etc, but there is a lot more that don't just the same as every country when there is range of people wearing and making them. When the expensive clothes are often made for western figures and then imported here they won't fit thin Asian girls well.

The fit of clothes will get better just like everything does with better education and training. It's easy to sit in judgement of others when you've had a western education.

b/ The "buying lots of clothes at patunam every week and throwing them out the next week" thing has been explained by a Thai girl on 20k a month. They want quantity not quality. It's also the shopping experience that counts.Shopping is getting a huge thing here.

e/ I never said Thai people don't understand cut or fits, I said cute culture people here have no understanding of fashion CODES, which is totally different

f/ I am not judging, I give my opinion on CUTE which was the subject of the topic, remember ? smile.png

a) meh.

cool.png It's name is Platinum not pathunam.

Do you not think they don't want quality as well and even one item of western quality would cost a months to 20% of a months wages depending on their wage. That's a lot after rent, food, bills, transport or supporting other family members. 300B is a lot easier to find.

http://www.gracieopulanza.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/platinum-fashion-mall.jpg

c) yes but most stuff is of similar quality or just come from the same sources or again made by Thais or imported western stuff at similar prices to paragon and central world etc.

d) Not concerned, but over both this and your thread you judge other peoples fashions.

e) someone did.

f) cheesy.gif .

Edited by arthurwait

aneliane

a) meh.

Do you not think they don't want quality as well and even one item of western quality would cost a months to 20% of a months wages depending on their wage. That's a lot after rent, food, bills, transport or supporting other family members. 300B is a lot easier to find.

http://www.gracieopu...ashion-mall.jpg

c) yes but most stuff is of similar quality or just come from the same sources or again made by Thais or imported western stuff at similar prices to paragon and central world etc.

d) Not concerned, but over both this and your thread you judge other peoples fashions.

e) someone did.

f) cheesy.gif .

Platinum is the building I was referring to the actual shopping area called PATHUNAM,which features more places

Again I don't judge, I have an opinion and when asked -like here- I give it with plenty of examples to make my point unlike many people here

Edited by aneliane

aneliane

a) meh.

http://www.gracieopu...ashion-mall.jpg

e) someone did.

f) cheesy.gif .

Platinum is the building I was referring to the actual shopping area called PATHUNAM,which features more places

Again I don't judge, I have an opinion and when asked -like here- I give it with plenty of examples to make my point unlike many people here

cheesy.gif

h/ cheap looking clothes are not cheap looking because they don't fit, but because the fabric is wrong: Example: a 1940's French années folles outfit made out of silk and laces is the latest craze. In Paris all the cheap shops like zara h&m are going to get their own designer to integrate a bit of lace there and there on the usual jumper or top. They are not going to try to replicate the all out because they KNOW with cheap nylon it would look crap. In Thailand they do exactly that and don't care how cheaply or wrong it looks.

Aneliane, Aneliene. Leonowens or whatever your name is.

I can tell you why we think Thai woman are cute and enjoy them so much

They would not get all upset if you mispronounced / misspelled their name. They would not list out a bunch of reasons to support their argument in and a,b,c,d,e,f format. They do not about cuts and fits for their smaller body sizes - they are not gargantuan in size - maybe that upsets you. Most Thai girls I know are fashionable. They ARE concerned about fashion and do generally go out in dirty track suits with their hair up in a bun like farang women shopping at Walmart. A high price does not always equal fashionable nor does it mean it is high quality. My wife buys a lot of fashionable clothing, but that does not mean the most expensive clothing either. She buys things that will look good on her and that are not over priced. I can tell you that when we travel to the US people always comment that she dresses to a "T". A lot of women we know want to know where she bought what she is wearing. Thai women do not sit around ripping Western women apart for their behavior, looks, fashion sense or shopping practices. They are easy going - it is refreshing and it is why we like them.

Here is some advice I have heard from a few farang women that have lived here for years - "Farang girls could learn a lot from Thai women - how to dress, hot to walk, hot to stay fit, how to speak politely, how to be graceful, and mostly how to treat their men - because if Western women keep on the path they are on, there will be a whole lot of men marrying women from Thailand (or other countries far away from the US) or deciding to stay single.

aneliane

Are you and Aneliane purporting to be some sort of fashion experts? I would love to see how you guys dress because I'm relatively sure neither of you will come close to the "REAL chic (folks) in Seoul, Tokyo, Paris, New York, LA." Get real. Normal people dress for comfort and appropriate for the occasion, and they wear what they think looks good on them. It's the same most everywhere. Unless your gospel is "The Devil wears Prada," I doubt if you're cut-out for that scene. So putting down the Thais when you're really not much better is rather presumptuous.

• Like 1

aneliane

Are you and Aneliane purporting to be some sort of fashion experts? I would love to see how you guys dress because I'm relatively sure neither of you will come close to the "REAL chic (folks) in Seoul, Tokyo, Paris, New York, LA." Get real. Normal people dress for comfort and appropriate for the occasion, and they wear what they think looks good on them. It's the same most everywhere. Unless your gospel is "The Devil wears Prada," I doubt if you're cut-out for that scene. So putting down the Thais when you're really not much better is rather presumptuous.

Well just get out on the street and see for yourself how many people wear nylon, instead of cotton, plastic instead leather, acetone, viscose and all those really sticky and super uncomfortable fabrics just because they look just like the catwalks lol

In your definition, I am normal, since I too believe the best is to suit the weather and situation,but 99% of Thai ppl don't

Edited by aneliane

aneliane

Well just get out on the street and see for yourself how many people wear nylon, instead of cotton, plastic instead leather, acetone, viscose and all those really sticky and super uncomfortable fabrics just because they look just like the catwalks lol

All I can say is...have you been to America lately? How does the average American dress? That's the point. Very few Americans/Thais are truly fashion savvy. And that goes for every other nationality.

As for xth's contention that it's all about "inflate perceived status"....how in God's name would he know that? Perhaps he's envious that certain Thais can afford the MERC's and BMW's and he can't. Jealousy is a terrible thing.

aneliane

All I can say is...have you been to America lately? How does the average American dress? That's the point. Very few Americans/Thais are truly fashion savvy. And that goes for every other nationality.

As for xth's contention that it's all about "inflate perceived status"....how in God's name would he know that? Perhaps he's envious that certain Thais can afford the MERC's and BMW's and he can't. Jealousy is a terrible thing.

oh we are wayyy past trying to be savy.

We are talking uncomfortable (all these plastic made fabric on 45 deg climate) inappropriate (super high heels in bbk) and cheap looking clothes, when they had beautiful traditional perfectly comfy and suited for the climate clothes

Now this has turned to a debate on fashion..Well, maybe it's just me, but i don't care much about people clothes..If i think about cuteness, i think about gentle manners.

If i think about beauty, a slim body and a straight back are better than any well studied make-up.

As yes, the prototypical Asian virtue of subservience. I too like it. This is certainly one way to define cuteness.

Another way could be to find it cute when a Japanese girl allows a man to ejaculate into her closed mouth while looking at him as if to say "I don't understand. What is happening." Some people find this kind of thing cute.

So, we all have different views of what constitues cuteness. And that's fine, imo.

Edited by xthAi76s

We are talking uncomfortable (all these plastic made fabric on 45 deg climate) inappropriate (super high heels in bbk) and cheap looking clothes, when they had beautiful traditional perfectly comfy and suited for the climate clothes

Aneliane, your posts are screaming - I can't find any clothes in Thailand I can squeeze my size 14 body into and I hate Asians and Thais for it!

Edited by Koratpat

aneliane

You've said much while I was away. Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you.

I know you know some of this, Berkshire, because I've seen some of your more intelligent posts. I would know about inflating perceived status because I've read books on it, discussed it with Thai intellectuals and my wife and her family. I encourage you to go to your nearest Asia Books and purchase and read "National Identity and It's Defenders - Thailand Today", ISBN: 9789747551884. It touches on these kinds of things. Thai society is among the most hierarchical in the world and Thai people are concerned quite seriously with status, how to detect it and how to promote or display it. That's common "Thai 101" knowledge for a knowledgable person living in Thailand which I know you are.

Anyway, I am not a fashion expert. You are correct there. I only stated my opinion.

I am not jealous of Thai people with MERCs or BMWs. I don't drive in Thailand and neither do I want to. I won't tell you how financially secure I am in my young age because I'm sure you were baiting for an answer of that sort ;)

I hope I answered everything, Berkshire.

Thanks

As yes, the prototypical Asian virtue of subservience. I too like it. This is certainly one way to define cuteness.

Another way could be to find it cute when a Japanese girl allows a man to ejaculate into her closed mouth while looking at him as if to say "I don't understand. What is happening." Some people find this kind of thing cute.

Anyway, as another counter to yours, I'd be willing to bet that many of the things we find cute about women concern social behaviors coerced or forced onto women by horny, selfish men. How about that?

So, we all have different views of what constitues cuteness. And that's fine, imo.

Touchy, touchy... We can all agree on to disagree. Everybody has their own opinion. I find women who dress like school girls and try to imitate them in every way is def. NOT cute but that only speaks for one group of Japanese women doesn't it?

You're right. I think the hot weather is getting me out of my typically mild disposition.

Yes, the point is that we all have different opinions and that we shouldn't be attacked for our opinions. Sorry about that, mauGR1.

It's true, though, that many men find subservience in women cute. The entire Japanese cute tradition is created around this central concept. Same thing in Korea. Actually, before I am crucified, it's the same male chauvinism all over the globe.

Edited by xthAi76s
  • Like 1

Do you suggest that Thai women should go back to traditional Thai dress? A hundred or so years ago, many Thai women went topless. I am guessing that would enrage you a bit!

• Like 1

Do you suggest that Thai women should go back to traditional Thai dress? A hundred or so years ago, many Thai women went topless. I am guessing that would enrage you a bit!

product_83386_1_orig.jpg

You're right. I think the hot weather is getting me out of my typically mild disposition.

Yes, the point is that we all have different opinions and that we shouldn't be attacked for our opinions. Sorry about that, mauGR1.

It's true, though, that many men find subservience in women cute. The entire Japanese cute tradition is created around this central concept. Same thing in Korea. Actually, before I am crucified, it's the same male chauvinism all over the globe.

Did you attack my post...?

Sorry, i did not notice.. Well, thank you anyway..It seems that what i call gentle manners you call subservience..Never mind.smile.png

product_83386_1_orig.jpg

Pfff It's like cliches after cliches

Why would I enrage at topless thai wowen?

As I said ^previously I have come to LOS for 12 years, and I knew exactly what was the deal here.

I am here because men "who like their women never to use words like unecofriendly" are giving me a break,all the more if thai girls were naked

product_83386_1_orig.jpg

Pfff It's like cliches after cliches

Why would I enrage at topless thai wowen?

As I said ^previously I have come to LOS for 12 years, and I knew exactly what was the deal here.

I am here because men "who like their women never to use words like unecofriendly" are giving me a break,all the more if thai girls were naked

I think we all agree men are giving you a break because of the words you use.

Thais ARE the cutest people on the planet.clap2.gif

But this thread ... not so cute. sick.gif

On basis do you make your opinion? In what ways are they the cutest?

Opinion? No, you misunderstand. It is RESOLVED. No credible challengers were proposed so the motion carries ...