Death Threat To Thaksin Remains: Defence Minister

webfact

The PTP are hardly likely to mess about with the Lese Majeste Law are they? They're not as stupid as most of you think. At least any Lese Majeste cases that arise from now on will not be used as a political tool.

Another of their promises down the drain?

There is a time and a place, I think you'll understand even if you are just looking for negatives all the time. What do you think will happen if they campaign now to amend lese majeste. They had a flavour of that already with Nitarat.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The online freedom of expression they are talking about is with regard to Lese Majeste cases. All of the cases mentioned were actioned in Abhisits reign.

The PTP are hardly likely to mess about with the Lese Majeste Law are they? They're not as stupid as most of you think. At least any Lese Majeste cases that arise from now on will not be used as a political tool.

You start to sound a wee bit desperate, dear PPD. Maybe not a self-imposed exile, but a short sabbatical leave may benefit you and recharge your batteries.

I'm not talking about PTP neither is the RSF article. It's 'the government' which in this case may be Dept. PM Pol. Captain Chalerm who's in charge of a 'clean internet' campaign if I remember correctly. Maybe you should tell him he has the wrong priorities?

The reference to LM cases is probably related to what we discuss, internet filtering, with you condoning as you suggest it might be done without being a political tool. Maybe I should ask RSF what they think of that?

This is getting ridiculous. You post a link about lack of freedom of expression which is all about Lese Majeste cases and you pull me up because I said PTP instead of PTP government. You knew who I was talking about and are trying to wriggle. Chalerm has said he's going to clear up lese majeste violating internet sites so you don't remember correctly

Deputy Prime Minister Pol Capt Chalerm Yubamrung is set to begin his crackdown on websites offensive to the monarchy

http://prachatai.com/english/node/2947

. What do you expect him to say, he's going to ignore them?

Edited by phiphidon

The online freedom of expression they are talking about is with regard to Lese Majeste cases. All of the cases mentioned were actioned in Abhisits reign.

You start to sound a wee bit desperate, dear PPD. Maybe not a self-imposed exile, but a short sabbatical leave may benefit you and recharge your batteries.

I'm not talking about PTP neither is the RSF article. It's 'the government' which in this case may be Dept. PM Pol. Captain Chalerm who's in charge of a 'clean internet' campaign if I remember correctly. Maybe you should tell him he has the wrong priorities?

The reference to LM cases is probably related to what we discuss, internet filtering, with you condoning as you suggest it might be done without being a political tool. Maybe I should ask RSF what they think of that?

This is getting ridiculous. You post a link about lack of freedom of expression which is all about Lese Majeste cases and you pull me up because I said PTP instead of PTP government. You knew who I was talking about and are trying to wriggle. Chalerm has said he's going to clear up lese majeste violating internet sites so you don't remember correctly

Deputy Prime Minister Pol Capt Chalerm Yubamrung is set to begin his crackdown on websites offensive to the monarchy

http://prachatai.com/english/node/2947

. What do you expect him to say, he's going to ignore them?

So, when you complain about the Abhisit government clamping down on internet sites stating some number of total sites blocked (no indication since when though), you're still happily smiling when the next government (aka Yingluck government) does something similar? You're really happy with the RSF article? You still want to continue with 'yeah, but that migt be another reason to block sites'?

Mind you, I'm willing to return to the topic of "Death threat to Thaksin"

• Like 1

Read the report or at least the extract I provided. All the info you need is there. Amongst other methods the CRES were blocking blocks of IP addresses, 300, 600 at a time. Do you think the CRES are going to hand over any paperwork to the PTP?

The current staff at the new "blocking centre is about 12 I believe, how long do you think they are going to spend unblocking sites when they're being told to block new Lese Majeste violating sites? Who do they want to please most? Be realistic.

OK. I'll just put it down to you not being IT literate.

You can put it down to what you like

So, when you complain about the Abhisit government clamping down on internet sites stating some number of total sites blocked (no indication since when though), you're still happily smiling when the next government (aka Yingluck government) does something similar? You're really happy with the RSF article? You still want to continue with 'yeah, but that migt be another reason to block sites'?

Why do you people not read the posts properly. The dates are on there.

I'm not over impressed that sites are being blocked because of article 112 but as long as it remains in existence they really haven't got a lot of choice.

I was mightily peed off when abhisits mob banned websites left right and centre supressing any kind of expression from red shirts and used article 112 as a political tool.

The two actions by different governments are nowhere near "similar".

I'll get back on topic when people stop posting lies and expect everybody to just lap them up.

I'm not over impressed that sites are being blocked because of article 112 but as long as it remains in existence they really haven't got a lot of choice.

I was mightily peed off when abhisits mob banned websites left right and centre supressing any kind of expression from red shirts and used article 112 as a political tool.

I'll get back on topic when people stop posting lies and expect everybody to just lap them up.

Some quotes from the RSF article again:

"The status of Thailand’s online freedom of expression began to deteriorate from the moment the new Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra assumed power in July 2011. Abusive recourse to the politically exploited lèse-majesté law has led to an increase in litigations and strict censorship."

"The Thai government has distanced itself from this initiative, stating that it does not want to modify Article 112."

"The Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRCT), set up under the previous government advocated a lèse-majesté law reform in January 2012, deeming the existing one “too harsh.”"

There is nothing in the RSF to suggest that the current government is not using the LM law to block sites they don't like, similar as the Abhisit government did. Mind you I've seen some sites blocked later. The site and contents owners would really be prosecuted back in Europe, even in the UK!

So wiggle you wurm if you like, but you're just getting more pathetic in your excuses. IMHO

• Like 1

"The status of Thailand’s online freedom of expression began to deteriorate from the moment the new Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra assumed power in July 2011. Abusive recourse to the politically exploited lèse-majesté law has led to an increase in litigations and strict censorship."

"The Thai government has distanced itself from this initiative, stating that it does not want to modify Article 112."

"The Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRCT), set up under the previous government advocated a lèse-majesté law reform in January 2012, deeming the existing one “too harsh.”"

There is nothing in the RSF to suggest that the current government is not using the LM law to block sites they don't like, similar as the Abhisit government did. Mind you I've seen some sites blocked later. The site and contents owners would really be prosecuted back in Europe, even in the UK!

So wiggle you wurm if you like, but you're just getting more pathetic in your excuses. IMHO

I'm not wriggling. As far as I'm aware the present government have not used LM to liturgate against anybody - as I said all the cases they mention were brought under the abhisit government. Please provide proof of any brought under this government.

As far as strict censorship of lese majeste violating sites is concerned what are they supposed to do?

There is nothing in the RSF to suggest that the current government is not using the LM law to block sites they don't like, similar as the Abhisit government did.

Now that is a pathetic statement - there is nothing in the rsf to suggest that they are using the LM law to block sites they don't like. If they had examples don't you think they would have mentioned them!

So my supposedly "pathetic" excuses are in fact valid statements of fact.

Good Night.

Smacks of desperation, doesn't it?

Well, I only went out for 30 minutes to do some shopping! You all absolutely hate this man to death no wonder theres reports of assasination attempts. Whats the point to these threads if your all batting for the same team? I have my point of view and you have yours. Freedom of speech and all that is a part of democracy.

This is the best you can do in answer for your pompous claims?!

I'm not wriggling. As far as I'm aware the present government have not used LM to liturgate against anybody - as I said all the cases they mention were brought under the abhisit government. Please provide proof of any brought under this government.

As far as strict censorship of lese majeste violating sites is concerned what are they supposed to do?

There is nothing in the RSF to suggest that the current government is not using the LM law to block sites they don't like, similar as the Abhisit government did.

Now that is a pathetic statement - there is nothing in the rsf to suggest that they are using the LM law to block sites they don't like. If they had examples don't you think they would have mentioned them!

So my supposedly "pathetic" excuses are in fact valid statements of fact.

Good Night.

The red shirt sites were blocked because of LM content or because they were breaking laws inciting violence. What was the previous government supposed to do?

The site lists would be easily available from the ISPs or the ministry, so there is no excuse that the current government can't remove the blocks. They have an extra 400,000 million baht. It's not like they need to search for the sites that are blocked. The red shirts can tell them, as they've been complaining about it for ages.

But maybe they can't be unblocked because of the LM content. What is the government supposed to do?

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

• Like 1

If he (Thaksin) had any respect for Thailand & Thai Law & Thai people ...

Cambodia and Laos both seem to have no respect for Thailand & Thai Law & Thai people as they have allowed, the criminal fugitive, Thaksin to visit recently. Both, like Thailand, are ASEAN members. So much for co-operation between neighboring countries.....

This topic has strayed WAY, WAY, WAY off-topic. The thread is about Death Threats to Thaksin. Further off-topic posts will be deleted and result in suspensions if necessary.

The topic please.

Sukampol added that criticism of Thaksin’s recent moves might hamper national reconciliation and had not taken into consideration that Thaksin had the right to travel and his actions were acceptable.

It's interesting that the Defence Minister thinks that someone who is on the run to avoid a jail sentence has the right to travel.

Well,they gave his passport back,didn't they.TIT

I firmly believe these attempted assasinations of Thaksin are publicity stunts and the claims of death threats are an attempt to perpetuate that publicity. When I read something like.......... "

A doctor at Vajiraj Hospital in Bangkok said that doctors were operating on Sondhi Limthongkul, who had a bullet in his head.

Mr Sondhi's car was attacked at a petrol station near the central bank at around 5am local time (2200 GMT), a spokesman for his People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) said.

The PAD was not part of the latest political violence in Thailand, which involved the red-shirted supporters of Thaksin Shinawatra, a former prime minister who was ousted in a 2006 coup and now lives in self-imposed exile. Thailand's capital is still under emergency rule. "....................Then I will believe it.

Edited by waza

Sukampol added that criticism of Thaksin’s recent moves might hamper national reconciliation and had not taken into consideration that Thaksin had the right to travel and his actions were acceptable.

It's interesting that the Defence Minister thinks that someone who is on the run to avoid a jail sentence has the right to travel.

Well,they gave his passport back,didn't they.TIT

Seems one hand doesnt know what the other is doing. This is a classic symptom of a lack of leadership.

Of course. That is why the government gave the criminal back his passport!

The Troll has entered the forum, Checked your internet latelyvon the subject of this threae then you will find this link from the Penom Phen Post about the mistaken information that led the defence minister to makecthe death threat comment. Oh and by the way sticks and stones can break my bones but words will never hurt me. http://www.phnompenhpost.com/index.php/2012041855626/National-news/death-threats-news-to-thaksin-intimates.html

The Troll has entered the forum, Checked your internet latelyvon the subject of this threae then you will find this link from the Penom Phen Post about the mistaken information that led the defence minister to makecthe death threat comment. Oh and by the way sticks and stones can break my bones but words will never hurt me. http://www.phnompenh...-intimates.html

From the link.

Jarupan Kuldiloke, the spokeswoman of Thaksin’s Puea Thai party, said

"It is a local red shirts leader in Chiangmai said this news."

So it's not the PTP's Defense Minister that is claiming death threats. It's a Red Shirt Leader that is.

same, same...coffee1.gif

If I were Mr T I would never come back, sure there are lots who love him but there also lots who dont, thats my impression. How much is the cost of "disappearnce" 10000bts? Then there is the fame, short lived though it may be it appeals to some people. The death threat is real always will be.

If I were Mr T I would never come back, sure there are lots who love him but there also lots who dont, thats my impression. How much is the cost of "disappearnce" 10000bts? Then there is the fame, short lived though it may be it appeals to some people. The death threat is real always will be.

i agree, thailand is the most dangerous place in the world for thaksin.

i dunno, i think the country is heading for political disaster whether he comes back or not and probably (to a high degree) based on him coming back or not.

some people say all he has to do is stay away (for peace), i don't agree with that viewpoint... and i certainly don't think him coming back is the answer.

Edited by nurofiend
  • Like 1

i dunno, i think the country is heading for political disaster whether he comes back or not and probably (to a high degree) based on him coming back or not.

some people say all he has to do is stay away (for peace), i don't agree with that viewpoint... and i certainly don't think him coming back is the answer.

You don't agree with most of the possibilities, which seems to bring us right back to death threats.

You don't agree with most of the possibilities, which seems to bring us right back to death threats.

sorry could you translate that?

sorry could you translate that?

You don't think him staying away will bring peace, you don't think him coming home will bring peace, which restricts his position to DED, unless you have another alternative,

You don't think him staying away will bring peace, you don't think him coming home will bring peace, which restricts his position to DED, unless you have another alternative,

oh i see, no i personally don't have an alternative but i'm hoping there is one.

an alternative could still entail either him coming home or staying away, but with things as they stand... neither would bring peace.