'Political Racism' Must Be Ended Before It's Too Late: Thailand

webfact

BURNING ISSUE

'Political racism' must be ended before it's too late

Pravit Rojanaphruk

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- When it comes to the ongoing political rift, what Thai society is facing is nothing less than mutual political racism.

By political racism I mean total discrimination against those with differing political views who - once categorised as belonging to the opposite political camp - induce a sense of hatred and discrimination.

Three key issues appear to be deployed to help identify whether one in Thailand belongs to the opposite political camp or not. These are one's attitude towards the monarchy and lese majeste law, towards Thaksin Shinawatra, and towards the 2006 military coup.

If you oppose the lese majeste law you are automatically branded as red shirt and anti-monarchist. You are also almost without exception branded as red shirt too if you were against the 2006 military coup which ousted Thaksin - while if you had supported it, then you are branded as yellow shirt, multi-colour shirt or a supporter of the Democrat Party.

For people infected with political racism, it is as if there exist only two political camps in Thailand. These people want to reassure themselves that the current political struggle is between good versus evil and under such a crude dichotomy, there is not room for diversity beyond the two camps.

When one is conveniently categorised as being "the enemy", the sense of political racism ensures that the classified person is not to be trusted or treated equally. This makes it easier for such people to react to their opponents. It makes their world easy to comprehend. It is rather difficult for these people to live with irony, ambivalence and the absence of a clear-cut notion of good versus evil - of us versus them. These people who succumb to political racism also tend to believe there exists only one correct political way - their way.

Deep down, political racism and the accompanying labelling of someone as a political friend or foe, enables these people to suspend their ability to listen to the reasoning of their opponents. Since they have branded their opponents as enemy and evil, there is no need to listen to those who think differently, period.

When that occurs, the hope that there could be any meaningful dialogue or debate ceases to be possible. Learning about different points of view is thus replaced by the reinforcement of hatred and discriminatory views. Reasonable exchange is almost impossible when you do not trust the person speaking to you.

This writer still thinks however that there are many Thais in various political camps who have not totally succumbed to political racism. These people will have to do more to constructively engage and exchange with people who think differently, be it within their group or outside.

They must resist attempts by those totally influenced by political racism to stereotype others as either saint or evil, and make more room for the understanding that virtually all camps have made mistakes or committed errors over the past six years - that learning to peacefully and democratically compete and co-exist with those who think differently is a major challenge in today's Thailand.

Political racism must be resisted at all costs if Thailand is to avoid heading toward political annihilation. More open-minded members of all political camps must seek to build bridges and dialogue instead of repeating the dominant discourse of political hatred.

If you cannot bear to listen to the extremists among the red, yellow or multi-colour shirts, try to seek an exchange and forge acquaintance with the more open-minded members of those political groupings instead.

Extremists with political racism and hatred have a way of making their noises heard louder than others - but it's time people tried to rein them in with more measured political voices before the only political space left in Thailand is that of hatred and distrust.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-18

The writer might actually want to investigate the meaning ofthe word "racism!" It has nothing to do with anything he is writing about. What he is writing about is simply partisan politics and it exists everywhere and will forever!

• Like 1

The writer hasn't got a clue about what he/she is trying to say. A previous poster already identified "partisan politics" as the issue. One would have to wonder what this writer is professionally trying to do here by using the term "racism" throughout this tripe masquerading as journalism. Is the writer attempting to engender conflict by using this term or what is their unprofessional point?

• Like 1

"partisan politics"

???

All politics are "partisan". That's the beauty of the system.

This is a prime example of why Democracy in Thailand will never work as Thai politics is all about who can convince the proles who is the most "Thai". They then vote and go back to slurping their noodle soup in happy ignorance....

• Like 2

The writer might actually want to investigate the meaning ofthe word "racism!" It has nothing to do with anything he is writing about. What he is writing about is simply partisan politics and it exists everywhere and will forever!

Well in Europe they start to use the word "racism" now for many things. Whatever group, is criticized is calling it racism.

If you are against the way Muslims slaughter animals you are called a racist. If you are against gay marriage you are called racist. If you have an opinion on the Israel-Arab conflict, you are called racist from the other side.

Very handy word....whenever you don't agree with someone call him a racist....

• Like 1

"partisan politics"

???

All politics are "partisan". That's the beauty of the system.

This is a prime example of why Democracy in Thailand will never work as Thai politics is all about who can convince the proles who is the most "Thai". They then vote and go back to slurping their noodle soup in happy ignorance....

No, it is who can make enough money with corruption so he can do enough vote buying to come to power again. They would vote for Hun Sen if he can hand out 1000 Baht to everyone. And the constitutional court would rule that it is just a honest mistake to don't be Thai, if some millions flow......

It is all about the money.....everything else is just show.

• Like 1

Unfortunately descrimination in Thailand is still accepted as part of the culture there. Even the word 'Farang' implies that you are a Foreigner, or someone that is Non-Thai meaning that you are not part of the general population. In most civilised countries, such language could not be used as a literal term since it would be perceived as being derogatory in it's meaning; i.e literally racist and therefore would not be allowed in the same context.

Until Thailand accepts Foreigners as equals then unfortuantely the country will never be able to move forward. The lack of rights and xenophobic legislation that Thailand continually adopts is well-known throughout the world. In many ways this has damaged the reputation of the country. However it is hoped through time, that Thailand will eventually conform. Naturally we must acknowledge that the country is still evolving and it may be some time before the country is ready to deal with these issues.

Edited by reader
  • Like 1

Unfortunately descrimination in Thailand is still accepted as part of the culture there. Even the word 'Farang' implies that you are a Foreigner, or someone that is Non-Thai meaning that you are not part of the general population. In most civilised countries, such language could not be used as a literal term since it would be perceived as being derogatory in it's meaning; i.e literally racist and therefore would not be allowed in the same context.

Until Thailand accepts Foreigners as equals then unfortuantely the country will never be able to move forward. The lack of rights and xenophobic legislation that Thailand continually adopts is well-known throughout the world. In many ways this has damaged the reputation of the country. However it is hoped through time, that Thailand will eventually conform. Naturally we must acknowledge that the country is still evolving and it may be some time before the country is ready to deal with these issues.

you are confusing something: If I name someone by the way he looks like:

white

black

farang

longnose

yellow

than this is not racist. People look different and it is silly to think we are all the same. No one will look at me and think I am an Isaan rice farmer. And if I would do that job, I would already have died from skin cancer white as I am....

People are different in body and culture and there is nothing wrong naming it.

Racism is if you don't buy at Jewish, if you don't let black in the restaurant or maybe when Ocean World charge Farangs double.

It is not racism if you don't like people with other political views, or if you don't like some religions.

"Extremists with political racism and hatred have a way of making their noises heard louder than others - but it's time people tried to rein them in with more measured political voices before the only political space left in Thailand is that of hatred and distrust."

------

Sure do don't they!

Did you write this so the likes of Chalerm, Nittinut, Shinawanctra and family may listen, or before the next big noise happens from them, or did you write this for self indulgence? Some reasonable people have been trying to rein them in kindly, with sensical and measured advice for some time, only for those same said to be criticised for being reasonable people who are simultaneously hated and distrusted.

-mel.

• Like 1

Would seem that most posters did not read the first line of the piece in which the author made it clear why you used the term racism.

By political racism I mean total discrimination against those with differing political views who - once categorised as belonging to the opposite political camp - induce a sense of hatred and discrimination.

Partisanism does not adequately describe what the author is talking about. This goes beyond just a blind, prejudiced, and unreasoning allegiance. It’s about just because somebody disagrees with one part of your viewpoint, you must be an evil person that supports everything bad that you oppose.

Many of us have had, or at least attempted to, discussion with CalgaryII. In virtually every case when faced with a reasoned balanced point, the response has been one of categorizing the person as a yellow shirted, coupeist, Bangkok elitist amart.

There is no room for agreement on anything, you are either like me or I hate you. I think the term political racism is pretty accurate as that is exactly how a true racist reacts to someone of another race he hates.

TH

political intolerance, political discrimination

Racism is the belief that inherent different traits in human racial groups justify discrimination.

Edited by waza

Thai-ness means social racism.

You have money - big face. (No one aks you where the money comes from - drugs, illegal gambling)

You don't have money - no face.

You are farang you need big money - small face

You are a Hilltribe with good money to put on the local bank, they accept the money, but still no face.

Would seem that most posters did not read the first line of the piece in which the author made it clear why you used the term racism.

Partisanism does not adequately describe what the author is talking about. This goes beyond just a blind, prejudiced, and unreasoning allegiance. It’s about just because somebody disagrees with one part of your viewpoint, you must be an evil person that supports everything bad that you oppose.

Many of us have had, or at least attempted to, discussion with CalgaryII. In virtually every case when faced with a reasoned balanced point, the response has been one of categorizing the person as a yellow shirted, coupeist, Bangkok elitist amart.

There is no room for agreement on anything, you are either like me or I hate you. I think the term political racism is pretty accurate as that is exactly how a true racist reacts to someone of another race he hates.

TH

political intolerance, political discrimination

Racism is the belief that inherent different traits in human racial groups justify discrimination.

And political racism would then mean the inherent different traits in political groups justify discrimination.

Right?

TH

And political racism would then mean the inherent different traits in political groups justify discrimination.

Right?

The word "racism" comes from the word "race", which, based on Google, is defined as "Each of the major divisions of humankind, having distinct physical characteristics." We are only talking about the people of Thailand, which is (generally) one race. Maybe "political prejudice" is a more appropriate term.

Edited by hyperdimension

I do remember the breakfast news a few years ago, there was an argument being put forward that Abisit wasnt 100% Thai so shouldnt be in politics..so suppose there is racism in Thai politics, although a different way to the article.

Divisive cant worthy of the sand pit

The author needs a proof reader

As others suggest cash is god ,no darma no baraka no grace virtue nor ethics.

Gangsters ,pimps ,gamblers etc can all rise when the spectacle is adulation and esteem based on base slaevry to gold.

I often wondered why rent a mobs of all hues would camp for months at demos.

Well 500 a day free food entertnment and sanook is an ugrade to phrai of Esan upon whom democratic mandate depends.In a country where editors ,opponents and low life can be bought ,silenced or worse for weeks US welfare not surprising how jejeune their prospects are.

Edited by RubbaJohnny

I think Pravit used the word "racism" instead of intolerance. He correctly points out that there is no culture of political tolerance in Thailand. That people with different political views are readily labeled as enemies that leads to discriminatory or even violent behavior towards them. I see this as a symptom of deeper insecurity and fear of anything different to what one considers as a Thai norm. And that of course also includes the foreigners. I think that Thai society could only benefit from learning from other cultures if they were not so hermetically close-minded in their "Thainess". But that's the only way they know without much education or ability to travel. A perfect breeding ground for xenophobia and hater.

• Like 1

Extremist partisanism (or partisanship?) would be more correct terminology to what the writer is trying to say.

His point is valid that some extremists only see two sides, and that people must choose between one or the other. Myself, I am anti-Thaksin because he is a hugely corrupt megalomaniac, but that does not make me pro-Democrat party nor pro-coup nor pro-monarchy. I am pro-clean and constructive politics, which is why I am pro-Abhisit as he is not corrupt nor self-serving, intelligent, an excellent communicator and has good personal qualities. I know some anti-Abhisit people would nitpick and bring up a few instances in which he may have turned a blind eye to some corruption in his party whilst he was prime minister, but in relative terms they can't compare to the corruption and violent tendancies of Thaksin and many others around him.

I am not too keen on the old establishment trying to cling onto power either, nor do I support the military meddling or having power in politics, but that definitely doesn't make me a supporter of the Red Shirt movement, as it is first and foremost pro-Thaksin.

Very well said. From most of the previous posts I think they all agree with you None of them attacked the principals just the name. Many of them feel quite comfortable with the spelling police. The rest is meaningless to them.