Eu Currencies Problem

Namphonny

My daughter will shortly be visiting several EU countries on a conducted tour. Although accommodation and meals are included she will need to use local currency for out-of-pocket expenses. The itinerary includes countries that use the Euro as well as those that do not such as Czech Republic and Slovakia. Rather than lose out on the exchange rate by taking Baht, I plan to provide her with GBP Sterling notes (of which I have plenty available) in the hope that she will be able to exchange these as required. Can anyone advise whether this is the best strategy? and also where is the best place to make an exchange? She will be travelling mostly by train or bus.

As the countries you mention are centered on Germany Eur's would be the best bet.

Changing Euro's to local currency in the countries mentioned, try the exchange bureau's.

If changing GBP to Euro's in Europe the banks start to smile already.

Carrying a reasonable large amount of cash while travelling isnt advisable...cant she just use her Thai Bank card..I know SCB hardly charges anything for withdrawls abroad...other than that Sterling will be changed at any Beurea de Change...

Thanks for your comments. I take the points made but am not sure about the banks smiling - do you mean that they offer a poor rate of exchange?

Nam

use €URos! in most cities of the Czech Republic and Slovakia the € is well accepted in shops and even fast-food chains. that was the case even 20 years ago before the two states carved out of Czechoslovakia joined the European Union. GBP will be considered as foreign as Angolan Kwanza.

• SK=Slovakia has changed to EUR!!! a few years ago-away with that Koruna. As you mention GBP I assume you are brit-it always surprises/amazes me how ill-informed the |Brits seem to be re matters EU-to which they belong. But perhaps thats due to living in Th too long now.

use €URos! in most cities of the Czech Republic and Slovakia the € is well accepted in shops and even fast-food chains. that was the case even 20 years ago before the two states carved out of Czechoslovakia joined the European Union. GBP will be considered as foreign as Angolan Kwanza.

The euro is particularly well accepted in Slovakia since they switched from using the koruna to the euro in 2009 smile.png .

Sophon

tongue.png Here's another strategy.

On arrival at whatever airport she lands at tell her to look around for one of those prepaid cash debit card booths.

They are usually near the money exchange places.

There is a putchase fee for them...but they are convienent to use and can get you local durrency in ATMs in most train/bus stations around Europe,

You can purchase them in GBP on arrival at airports, and take out funds in Euro or other local currency if that applies.

Yes, buying a prepaid cash debit card gas some fees attached to it...but you're not carrying cash around, the cards are easily used in ATM s, and if lost/stolen you can stop their use with one telephone call.

They have a pin number....so don't lose that pin.

And always keep the purchase reciept and pin code seperate from the card...so you won't lose that stuff with the card.

There is a telephone number to call if your card is lost or stolen...they then freeze access to the balance left in that card.

To freeze the balance there is purchase number on that purchase recipet you can use over the phone to freeze any remaining balance on that card.

Then you have to go in person to one of that company's office with I.D. to get a new card or a refund for the balance remaining.

If the cars is lost or stolen there is a fee for freezing the remaining balance....but at least you don't lose everything as you would carrying a wad of cash around.

Just remember...this is not a free service...so there are some charges involved at purchase...but you're paying for secutiry and conveinence of use.

And like I said....most bis/train station ATM machine will accept them....even in another European country from where you purchased the card originally.

rolleyes.gif

The euro is particularly well accepted in Slovakia since they switched from using the koruna to the euro in 2009 smile.png .

Sophon

caught me smile.png last time i visited Bratislava was 2001.

Horrible idea. They are exceedingly poor value.

It also doesn't make sense to purchase a Euro Prepaid card with Pounds. Of course they will exchange the Pounds to Euros and then apply the Euros to the card. Then you will have additional fees when you use the card. Just a terrible idea. You might as well use Baht in that case.

Sorry.

tongue.png Here's another strategy.

On arrival at whatever airport she lands at tell her to look around for one of those prepaid cash debit card booths.

They are usually near the money exchange places.

There is a putchase fee for them...but they are convienent to use and can get you local durrency in ATMs in most train/bus stations around Europe,

You can purchase them in GBP on arrival at airports, and take out funds in Euro or other local currency if that applies.

Yes, buying a prepaid cash debit card gas some fees attached to it...but you're not carrying cash around, the cards are easily used in ATM s, and if lost/stolen you can stop their use with one telephone call.

They have a pin number....so don't lose that pin.

And always keep the purchase reciept and pin code seperate from the card...so you won't lose that stuff with the card.

There is a telephone number to call if your card is lost or stolen...they then freeze access to the balance left in that card.

To freeze the balance there is purchase number on that purchase recipet you can use over the phone to freeze any remaining balance on that card.

Then you have to go in person to one of that company's office with I.D. to get a new card or a refund for the balance remaining.

If the cars is lost or stolen there is a fee for freezing the remaining balance....but at least you don't lose everything as you would carrying a wad of cash around.

Just remember...this is not a free service...so there are some charges involved at purchase...but you're paying for secutiry and conveinence of use.

And like I said....most bis/train station ATM machine will accept them....even in another European country from where you purchased the card originally.

rolleyes.gif

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu