Stunt Airplane At Cm Airport This Morning.......

theblether

I know there are quite a few experienced pilots in CM, I was at Tesco Lotus and noticed a stunt airplane performing at CM airport, I would say around about 10.30ish. I know next to nothing about things aeronautical but I was impressed with some of the manouvres, especially when he appeared to stall the plane at a relatively low altitude and started twisting rapidly.

Did anyone see the display? Know what type of plane? Why was there a display? I am the nosey type, I like to know what I am looking at biggrin.png

ps I worked on Spangdahlem Airbase in Germany for a couple of years, it was interesting to watch the displays there at the annual event. I was there 92/93, were any of you guys in the US airforce at the time?

Yes; the chiang mai mail reported there is an airshow at wing 41 by the Thai Air Force on thursday.

its to celebrate 100yrs of Thai aviation. Free to get in it reports.

should be quite a spectacle, but hope it goes safely- airshows have hit the news many times for the disasters that can happen.

see below

BANGKOK, 17 April 2012 (NNT) - The Royal Thai Air Force (RTAF) is gearing up to host an exciting air show, which will be open to the public in Chiang Mai on Thursday without any charges, in celebration of the 100th anniversary of Thai aviation.

The show, featuring aerial acrobatic performances by experienced pilots, will be held at Wing 4...1 Air Force Base in Chiang Mai on the occasion of 100th anniversary of Thai aviation. The pilots will be rehearsing tomorrow prior to the actual show on Thursday. Show begins around 9 AM

As part of the celebrative event, other activities as well as an exhibition on Thai aviation are also being organized from today until Friday. As for the aerial show, there will be performances by GRIPEN 39C and F-16A aircrafts, both of which are fighter jets, as well as the first ever air stunt by the Blue Phoenix fleet.

Edited by eyecatcher
  • Like 1

Having been to a ton of airshows in my lifetime, I can say with certainty that most of the performers do a practice rehearsal the day before the actual show.

So today they went through the whole thing... military fighter jet (one o the Saab built ones), then a painted up F-16, then an older stunt plane, then a group of 5 older planes...

There'll likely be a few more things in the show, but I'm pretty close so I've been hearing it and seeing it all day.

• Like 1

should be quite a spectacle, but hope it goes safely- airshows have hit the news many times for the disasters that can happen.

see below

BANGKOK, 17 April 2012 (NNT) - The Royal Thai Air Force (RTAF) is gearing up to host an exciting air show, which will be open to the public in Chiang Mai on Thursday without any charges, in celebration of the 100th anniversary of Thai aviation.

The show, featuring aerial acrobatic performances by experienced pilots, will be held at Wing 41 Air Force Base in Chiang Mai

looney-tunes---wile-e-coyote--c_crop_340x234.jpg

• Like 1

Will they be showing their skills at helicopter mountain rescuing?

Either way, 5/1 on a fatality due to human error.

I think you will find that in the official report it will say the ground swung up and hit the 'copter.

• Like 1

Yes; the chiang mai mail reported there is an airshow at wing 41 by the Thai Air Force on thursday.

its to celebrate 100yrs of Thai aviation. Free to get in it reports.

see below

The show, featuring aerial acrobatic performances by experienced pilots, will be held at Wing 4...1 Air Force Base in Chiang Mai on the occasion of 100th anniversary of Thai aviation. The pilots will be rehearsing tomorrow prior to the actual show on Thursday. Show begins around 9 AM

As part of the celebrative event, other activities as well as an exhibition on Thai aviation are also being organized from today until Friday. As for the aerial show, there will be performances by GRIPEN 39C and F-16A aircrafts, both of which are fighter jets, as well as the first ever air stunt by the Blue Phoenix fleet.

Well thats my day sorted for tomorrow then.......thanks very much for that information clap2.gif

Are you coming to the show Winnie?

OP: I was walking out of California Wow at the Airport Plaza @ 10:30am and the sound was the first thing to alert me?... "man that sounds like an American Fighter" ok my years (1st Gulf War Vet) on a USAFBase in late 80s helped where we had F-16's but when I saw the jet I was pretty sure it was a Falcon/F-16. The F-15 is a Navy jet and larger....think movie "Top Gun"....pretty sure it was an USAF made fighter and I doubted it was F-18...think Blue Angels in USA in the past...

Likely F-16...less expensive, less advanced, air to air fighter and can assist ground troops or close air support...F-16 is a hell of a jet but its as old as the Space Shuttle Program or near

just my 2 cents...

OP: I was walking out of California Wow at the Airport Plaza @ 10:30am and the sound was the first thing to alert me?... "man that sounds like an American Fighter" ok my years (1st Gulf War Vet) on a USAFBase in late 80s helped where we had F-16's but when I saw the jet I was pretty sure it was a Falcon/F-16. The F-15 is a Navy jet and larger....think movie "Top Gun"....pretty sure it was an USAF made fighter and I doubted it was F-18...think Blue Angels in USA in the past...

Likely F-16...less expensive, less advanced, air to air fighter and can assist ground troops or close air support...F-16 is a hell of a jet but its as old as the Space Shuttle Program or near

just my 2 cents...

The F16 is still a front line fighter in many Air Forces even though it is old tech'. The Dutch do fab' routines with them at European Airshows every year. BTW the Aircraft used in 'Top Gun' were F14 Tomcats. The F15 is an Airforce jet and the F18 is a Navy jet.

Edited by trainman34014
  • Like 1

just my 2 cents...

I remember the F-16s and I am pretty sure they were on Spangdahlem AB at the time, my office was about 300 yards from the runway and I will never forget the sight and in particular the sound of watching those flights take off in pairs.

I worked as a civilian on US army bases at the time of the first Gulf War, primarily with the 11th ACR in Fulda, Germany........that was also an interesting experience

just my 2 cents...

The F16 is still a front line fighter in many Air Forces even though it is old tech'. The Dutch do fab' routines with them at European Airshows every year. BTW the Aircraft used in 'Top Gun' were F14 Tomcats. The F15 is an Airforce jet and the F18 is a Navy jet.

Ok I know I'm only 46 but I just knew I was going to get something wrong...you are so right the F-14 and 15 look alot alike but Top Gun was for sure a F-14 ....my bad, I do know the 15 is an AF jet but I'm getting thick in my mid 40's

and OP, you are so right....hearing an F-16 take off 1000's of times....that was the sound that came to mind too but for the past 20 years I have mainly heard only the Blue Angels screem across the skyline late summers in Seattle for the boat races yearly...maybe the Angels aren't even using the 18's anymore.

What I thought was kinda funny was airshow not come to mind when I hear the thunder...my first thought was possibly some joint Thai/US show of force after N. Korea thingy. I'm glad it is an airshow but I have to admit once I realized it was likely an F-16 screem across the sky I was kinda proud seeing all so many Thai's looking up...wow...while I walk to my manly motorbike, not

And yes the F-16 is used by many countries and is a real work horse...kinda like the F-4 of years ago as they finally retired the 4 while I was in the AF. And most of the jets have an ABCDE...version as the technology goes up....I think I remember an F-15E in 1990 but my memory is fading as I have seen Top Gun like 20 times and I forgot it was a F-14...ok sorry I'm rambling now

Glad someone asked because I was curious if my ears were right? As I am learning in my 40s I can trust my ears more than my eyes ;) PS my American proud was not due to being able to show force but being proud the jet was likely made in America!

• Like 1

No photos, but I was there for about 90 minutes. It was HOT. Very much so. Big crowds too. Decently organized I'd say, considering the locale. Most people either had umbrellas or they hid under the wings of the static displays. There was a sitting section with plastic chairs under a thin canopy, but there were far too many people for there to be any open seats. Not to mention, the canopy would've effectively meant not seeing the airshow. Can't exactly see the sky when hiding from the sun.

A few places were selling water, juice or soda- and it was relatively cheap. No one was trying to gouge, imo.

After 90 minutes, the gf turned to me and said "hun-nee, I'm think too hot... we can go home now and look at show from our apartment?"

Sure. So I watched the propellered stunt plane act and the precision flying team (5 prop aircraft) from the comfort of my aircon'd bedroom.

All in all, for something that was free, it was pretty enjoyable.

Edited by WarProfiteer

Some photos here:

https://plus.google.com/photos/108742140855645263728/albums/5733067429769133121?authkey=CL6jmsS9zvvAZA

We left during the F-16 demo because the kids were too hot. I was impressed that there was easy access to free cold water under the tents. The event seemed well organized, and the officers were friendly to me. (The airmen pretty much ignored me.)

Despite the heat, we enjoyed the show!

~ After 90 minutes, the gf turned to me and said "hun-nee, I'm think too hot... we can go home now and look at show from our apartment?"

Sure. So I watched the propellered stunt plane act and the precision flying team (5 prop aircraft) from the comfort of my aircon'd bedroom.

All in all, for something that was free, it was pretty enjoyable.

We spotted you leaving just ahead of us, the heat got to us too! It was a good show, my wife thoroughly enjoyed the Gripen and F16 low passes and slow fly-bys... amazing how slow they can go without dropping out of the sky.

The show started at 0930 with F16's doing 'bombing runs' over CNX and they had explosives set up in the run-off area to emulate strikes... I was too slow with my camera to catch them. Here's a few pics I did get >>>

AirShow3.JPG

AirShow6.JPG

AirShow7.JPG