PAD Sets Off Crusade Against Thai Charter Rewrite

webfact

Whats that got to do with the untruth you told?

"Do you really know anything about the process of the 2007 constitution referendum? If you did you wouldn't be spouting about it being 'voted for by the Thai people." birdpooguava on 23 minutes ago, said

Well why are you trying to tell us that the last constitutional referendum was democratically valid when it obviously wasn't?

No doubt because you haven't done the research.

Do you know what a 'democratic' vote actually means?

Just admit you didn't know the facts and the discussion is over. No hard feelings, you were just poorly informed.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats that got to do with the untruth you told?

"Do you really know anything about the process of the 2007 constitution referendum? If you did you wouldn't be spouting about it being 'voted for by the Thai people." birdpooguava on 23 minutes ago, said

Well why are you trying to tell us that the last constitutional referendum was democratically valid when it obviously wasn't?

No doubt because you haven't done the research.

Do you know what a 'democratic' vote actually means?

Just admit you didn't know the facts and the discussion is over. No hard feelings, you were just poorly informed.

So that's a 'no' then!

It will be interesting to see how much popular support they get, since I have a feeling that the public protest seasons of Thailand have come to an end. No one will ever be allowed to paralyse the city centre of Bangkok again.

After the ring leaders accident with automatic gunfire, whether they really have the stomach (or engine block) for this so called "popular fight". At the end of it all, the only way the PAD can enforce anything is by desperately wishing for a coup, and after the last few years, and the army's rather humbling experience last time at trying to put a government together also, I doubt this will go anywhere significant.

birdpooguava, on 23 minutes ago, said:

Do you really know anything about the process of the 2007 constitution referendum? If you did you wouldn't be spouting about it being 'voted for by the Thai people.'

http://en.wikipedia...._the_referendum

Try reading your own references then you would realise your telling lies..........

A Permanent Constitution for the Kingdom of Thailand was drafted by a committee established by the military junta that abrogated the previous 1997 Constitution. On August 19, 2007, a referendum was held in which 59.3% of the voters voted in favor of the constitution. The current constitution succeeded the former supreme law of Thailand, the 2006 Interim Constitution.

A referendum on the new constitution was held in Thailand on 19 August 2007.[1] Had the draft been rejected, the military government would have had the freedom to choose any previous constitution to adapt and promulgate instead.[2] The turnout was around 60%.[3]

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Waz,

It is hardly as thought the proposition of the 2007 constitution was entirely free. It was illegal to campaign "against" it, and plenty of the country was still under emergency control, with the tacit understanding that if it wasn't approved, the army wouldn't relinquish power.

I am not arguing that a new constitution may or may not have been necessary (after all it was necessary to absolve the coup makers of wrongdoing) but it can hardly be claimed that the vote was held in a completely free and fair way, with open debate and discussion. So it ultimately doesn't hold enough legitimacy just because of the way it was forwarded to the country.

The PAD the organization that nearly plunged Thailand into war with Cambodia rears its ugly head again. Surely for an organization that crippled the Thai international airport and made the lives of countless stranded tourists a misery should be banned by the constitutional court. Maybe thats what Thaksin is asking Prem during their meeting together.

They all went unpunished.

Untrue.

what about the red shirts over 90 dead as a result of their actions and tremendous damage done in a effort to burn Bangkok down and one of their leaders gets elected to parliament.

actually there are an astounding 12 Red Shirts in Parliament.

Edited by Buchholz

I was never stopped going to shopping areas where the reds protested. They were polite and courteous even when being shot by the army.

Thought you lived in the south.

He's confusing his various fictional backgrounds. The shopper in red areas was supposed to be posted by another.

I am in Hat Yai and Songkhla.

The PAD the organization that nearly plunged Thailand into war with Cambodia rears its ugly head again. Surely for an organization that crippled the Thai international airport and made the lives of countless stranded tourists a misery should be banned by the constitutional court. Maybe thats what Thaksin is asking Prem during their meeting together.

They all went unpunished. The law doesn't apply to them obviously so they will do what they like. Very sad indeed. In the West we hi-jack planes. In Thailand they hi-jack airports and get off scot free. Perhaps that could be the phrase for the Amazing Thailand marketing compaign

It is all at the court and the courts are slow.....All cases against Thaksin are even older and not finished.

79 yellow shirts were given prison sentences in December 2010 - they're still out on bail.

yes because they appealed and it goes to the next higher court. What is wrong?

It was up to the people to vote for the Charter just as it was up to them to vote for whichever party they chose in any of the elections. Of course people are fooled all the time in Thailand and it's unlikely to ever change.

Oh did you also read the parts about;

'the junta-appointed National Assembly elected 200 of its members as candidates for the Constitution Drafting Assembly. The voting was fraught with irregularities.'

And also;

'100 were approved by the junta to act as potential constitution drafters. The 100 included prominent anti-Thaksin critics'

How about;

'The junta directly appointed 10 drafters to join the Constitution Drafting Assembly. They included anti-Thaksin activist and former National Security Council head'

Oh and let's not forget;

'The Committee on Information and Public Dissemination of the Constitution Drafting Assembly led an advertising campaign to persuade voters to favour the draft constitution. Media used included all television, cable and radio stations, websites, print media outlets, government agencies, education institutions, billboards and places where crowds gather. All state-run schools and universities were involved in the campaign. Spots were aired from 6 am until 10 pm with the message "Approve: New Constitution, close to the people". Billboards saying, "Love the King Care about the King. Vote in a referendum. Accept the 2007 draft charter." were placed throughout the Northeast.'

So the illegal thing was that the government made promotion for their constitution? And only deciding the constitution in parliament like for the 1997 is more democratic?

Making some changes in parliament without referendum to help some super rich is democratic?

And by the way what are the bad things in the 2007 constitution? Name some.

It was up to the people to vote for the Charter just as it was up to them to vote for whichever party they chose in any of the elections. Of course people are fooled all the time in Thailand and it's unlikely to ever change.

'the junta-appointed National Assembly elected 200 of its members as candidates for the Constitution Drafting Assembly. The voting was fraught with irregularities.'

And also;

'100 were approved by the junta to act as potential constitution drafters. The 100 included prominent anti-Thaksin critics'

How about;

'The junta directly appointed 10 drafters to join the Constitution Drafting Assembly. They included anti-Thaksin activist and former National Security Council head'

Oh and let's not forget;

'The Committee on Information and Public Dissemination of the Constitution Drafting Assembly led an advertising campaign to persuade voters to favour the draft constitution. Media used included all television, cable and radio stations, websites, print media outlets, government agencies, education institutions, billboards and places where crowds gather. All state-run schools and universities were involved in the campaign. Spots were aired from 6 am until 10 pm with the message "Approve: New Constitution, close to the people". Billboards saying, "Love the King Care about the King. Vote in a referendum. Accept the 2007 draft charter." were placed throughout the Northeast.'

So the illegal thing was that the government made promotion for their constitution? And only deciding the constitution in parliament like for the 1997 is more democratic?

Making some changes in parliament without referendum to help some super rich is democratic?

well, i can definitely think of one lol

i'll be honest tho, i haven't read through it all, have you?

And also;

How about;

Oh and let's not forget;

No I haven't read it, but I read parts of it, comments about it. Actually I disagree with many things, but it is still better than the 1997.

As well I think their idea about rewriting the constitution all the time seems strange. Why not look at other countries and copy something that is working well?

I was never stopped going to shopping areas where the reds protested. They were polite and courteous even when being shot by the army.

Thought you lived in the south.

He's confusing his various fictional backgrounds. The shopper in red areas was supposed to be posted by another.

What does it add to the chat where I live? I have lived in Bangkok for many years and the reds protests did stop me going to that area as shopping areas were closed on some days because of the protests. One good thing was I could take off my helmet because of the heat and I ride along sukhumvit amongst the protests in Ratchaprasong knowing there was no way the police would bother stopping me - they had their mind on other things. Multinational company employees in Silom were told to stay away during the execution of armed and unarmed (Sadaeng) protestors - clearly showing it was orchestrated. I was walking on the BTS the day before a hand-grenade was thrown on it. And when Big C got burnt down, well I could not go there any longer. I lived very close to Silom and used to enjoy walking around that area and Ratchaprasong so yes it did affect me especially after buildings burnt down. BUT you must remember this is Thailand. They permit such rage here. This is why the PAD airport hijackers went unpunished - as they are seen as the defenders of Thailand and the red ratchaprasong protestors are seen in the same way. Their violence stance to protect thailand is reverred. All these pending legal cases are just to appease foreigners, a show for foreigners. Power seized by violence is respected. Power is money. Money is respect in the kow tow society. Doesn't matter how one gets it. Everyone else who thinks differently is viewed as a bufallo. There is no intention to convict any. They call it "rai". Some say it is even a good thing. These kinds of people are the ones who fended of the Burmese and Laos. The Thais have deep respect for these alpha male types so you are really barking up the wrong tree when you use a Western perspective. Violence is respected - that's why the army could slaughter the protestors. If you must know I live in Laos. I decided not to wait around for a black militia civil war. I saw the black militia with balaclavas on Romklao Road in Romklao, Bangkok. I really don't want to be amongst that again. The fact is that the leaders and parties here don't love their people. They only want power to get the kickbacks. Does anyone remember the robbers finding millions of baht in a politicians house recently. They are all pigs to the trough. For better or worse people are waking up to this and this in my humble opinion will lead to civil war. Does anyone remember news about a large weapons cache ending up in Ubon and it was linked to a politician that they would not name. You may find the militias have already been formed and armed and ready to wage a guerilla war. That's why I have moved to Laos. Also being poisoned on Koh Pan Gan Island, chased for 15km on my bike tailgated by a robber forcing me to speed up to 140km/hr, would have arrived at Lee Gardens parking at exactly the same time of the bomb if not for forgetting to take a right turn at the Odeon complex coming from Diana shopping complex (saw a woman running out with her hand severely ripped apart) DID A U TURN ON A ONE WAY ROAD FEARING SECOND BOMB LIKE 6 YEARS AGO WHEN CANADIAN TOOK A LOOK AT 2ND BOMB AND IT BLASTED HIM IN THE FACE, being caught in the cross fire between insurgents and the army in Sungai Padi, Narathiwat. Drugs and increased crime makes it less desirable to stay here also - I figure a lot of solo travelers here who are murdered is linked to drug bandits. However, I still like Thailand and travel here while using Laos as my base. Edited by heiwa

What does it add to the chat where I live? I have lived in Bangkok for many years and the reds protests did stop me going to that area as shopping areas were closed on some days because of the protests. One good thing was I could take off my helmet because of the heat and I ride along sukhumvit amongst the protests in Ratchaprasong knowing there was no way the police would bother stopping me - they had their mind on other things. Multinational company employees in Silom were told to stay away during the execution of armed and unarmed (Sadaeng) protestors - clearly showing it was orchestrated. I was walking on the BTS the day before a hand-grenade was thrown on it. And when Big C got burnt down, well I could not go there any longer. I lived very close to Silom and used to enjoy walking around that area and Ratchaprasong so yes it did affect me especially after buildings burnt down. BUT you must remember this is Thailand. They permit such rage here. This is why the PAD airport hijackers went unpunished - as they are seen as the defenders of Thailand and the red ratchaprasong protestors are seen in the same way. Their violence stance to protect thailand is reverred. All these pending legal cases are just to appease foreigners, a show for foreigners. Power seized by violence is respected. Power is money. Money is respect in the kow tow society. Doesn't matter how one gets it. Everyone else who thinks differently is viewed as a bufallo. There is no intention to convict any. They call it "rai". Some say it is even a good thing. These kinds of people are the ones who fended of the Burmese and Laos. The Thais have deep respect for these alpha male types so you are really barking up the wrong tree when you use a Western perspective. Violence is respected - that's why the army could slaughter the protestors. If you must know I live in Laos. I decided not to wait around for a black militia civil war. I saw the black militia with balaclavas on Romklao Road in Romklao, Bangkok. I really don't want to be amongst that again. The fact is that the leaders and parties here don't love their people. They only want power to get the kickbacks. Does anyone remember the robbers finding millions of baht in a politicians house recently. They are all pigs to the trough. For better or worse people are waking up to this and this in my humble opinion will lead to civil war. Does anyone remember news about a large weapons cache ending up in Ubon and it was linked to a politician that they would not name. You may find the militias have already been formed and armed and ready to wage a guerilla war. That's why I have moved to Laos. Also being poisoned on Koh Pan Gan Island, chased for 15km on my bike tailgated by a robber forcing me to speed up to 140km/hr, would have arrived at Lee Gardens parking at exactly the same time of the bomb if not for forgetting to take a right turn at the Odeon complex coming from Diana shopping complex (saw a woman running out with her hand severely ripped apart) DID A U TURN ON A ONE WAY ROAD FEARING SECOND BOMB LIKE 6 YEARS AGO WHEN CANADIAN TOOK A LOOK AT 2ND BOMB AND IT BLASTED HIM IN THE FACE, being caught in the cross fire between insurgents and the army in Sungai Padi, Narathiwat. Drugs and increased crime makes it less desirable to stay here also - I figure a lot of solo travelers here who are murdered is linked to drug bandits. However, I still like Thailand and travel here while using Laos as my base.

"I was never stopped going to shopping areas where the reds protested."

"the reds protests did stop me going to that area as shopping areas were closed on some days because of the protests."

It's my observation that Red Shirt supporters have the prerequisite of being able to hold two mutually conflicting ideas in their heads. Now wonder all that angst.

If you must know I live in Laos.

:cheesy:

They all went unpunished. The law doesn't apply to them obviously so they will do what they like. Very sad indeed. In the West we hi-jack planes. In Thailand they hi-jack airports and get off scot free. Perhaps that could be the phrase for the Amazing Thailand marketing compaign

Another poster who writes things which are untrue.

There have been numerous charges submitted to the prosecutorial process in regard to PAD activities including the airport stuff, and it's all proceeding through the system right now. Just recently there were small news items about avrious PAD members reporting in answer to summonses for them to appear.

Has it taken a very long time? Yes.

Have charges against other people in the political arena also taken a very very very long time? Yes.

IMHO the PAD activity to block the airport was unwise. Their aim was to try to keep the then moninee PM Somchai out, but of course it blocked everything, and I say again IMHO they made a mistake using this strategy.

And one can fire the same criticiism at other mass activities of various poltiical parties.

By the way, how does such a ban (as per your suggestion) connect to the constitutional court?

And by the way, the current mob say they are the champions of democracy, which embodies the right to protest.

Do you really know anything about the process of the 2007 constitution referendum? If you did you wouldn't be spouting about it being 'voted for by the Thai people.'

Try reading your own references then you would realise your telling lies..........

A Permanent Constitution for the Kingdom of Thailand was drafted by a committee established by the military junta that abrogated the previous 1997 Constitution. On August 19, 2007, a referendum was held in which 59.3% of the voters voted in favor of the constitution. The current constitution succeeded the former supreme law of Thailand, the 2006 Interim Constitution.

A referendum on the new constitution was held in Thailand on 19 August 2007.[1] Had the draft been rejected, the military government would have had the freedom to choose any previous constitution to adapt and promulgate instead.[2] The turnout was around 60%.[3]

Waz,

It is hardly as thought the proposition of the 2007 constitution was entirely free. It was illegal to campaign "against" it, and plenty of the country was still under emergency control, with the tacit understanding that if it wasn't approved, the army wouldn't relinquish power.

I am not arguing that a new constitution may or may not have been necessary (after all it was necessary to absolve the coup makers of wrongdoing) but it can hardly be claimed that the vote was held in a completely free and fair way, with open debate and discussion. So it ultimately doesn't hold enough legitimacy just because of the way it was forwarded to the country.

Thats not what you said, you lied when you said, "Do you really know anything about the process of the 2007 constitution referendum? If you did you wouldn't be spouting about it being 'voted for by the Thai people.'

I have proven they did but you try to misdirect and confuse this fact with with an avalanche of infomation that has no relationship to your lie. I took you for being more credible than that.

Waz,

If this is what birdpooguava said Then I would have no arguments with him. However, it is a legal constitution and still stands. Hopefgully the charter amendments will be done in a fair, legitimate and constitutional fashion.

Edited by waza

Another poster who writes things which are untrue.

There have been numerous charges submitted to the prosecutorial process in regard to PAD activities including the airport stuff, and it's all proceeding through the system right now. Just recently there were small news items about avrious PAD members reporting in answer to summonses for them to appear.

Has it taken a very long time? Yes.

Have charges against other people in the political arena also taken a very very very long time? Yes.

IMHO the PAD activity to block the airport was unwise. Their aim was to try to keep the then moninee PM Somchai out, but of course it blocked everything, and I say again IMHO they made a mistake using this strategy.

And one can fire the same criticiism at other mass activities of various poltiical parties.

By the way, how does such a ban (as per your suggestion) connect to the constitutional court?

And by the way, the current mob say they are the champions of democracy, which embodies the right to protest.

Was it a mistake?

Who knows, how many more people would have died or being hurt under Somchai if they would not done it? No one knows, so hard to tell if it was unwise or worth it.

If this is what birdpooguava said Then I would have no arguments with him. However, it is a legal constitution and still stands. Hopefgully the charter amendments will be done in a fair, legitimate and constitutional fashion.

a charter amendment that is intended to help one single person can't be fair and legitimate.

But it will be in a constitutional fashion, because if you rewrite the constitution than it is automatically constitutional.

And also;

How about;

Oh and let's not forget;

The Thai Rak Thai party had several major objections to the draft constitution.

1. It disagreed with an appointed Senate, claiming that it reflected a condescending view of the electorate.
  2. It disagreed with Article 299, which provided amnesty to the military junta for staging the September coup.
  3. It disagreed with Article 173, which forbade ministers who are MPs from voting for a Prime Minister facing a censure motion, claiming that it undermined the authority of elected politicians.
  4. It disagreed with Articles 257 and 259, which barred politicians from interfering in the work of bureaucrats, claiming that it would make it difficult for governments to implement their policies.
  5. It noted fear of a return to bureaucratic rule in government, with too much power handed to officials and the courts.

Prime Minister

The CDC announced that future prime ministers and Cabinet members should be barred from running the country in a caretaker capacity after the dissolution of the House of Representatives. An interim administration, under a person not formally titled prime minister to avoid legal confusion, will be selected by the Supreme Court, Supreme Administrative Court and Constitution Tribunal. In justifying the move, Vicha Mahakun, one CDC drafter, noted that politicians were like "hungry tigers, so are we really going to allow them to stay on [after House dissolution]? The country is already in a bad way."[28] The proposal was attacked by several party leaders, including Thai Rak Thai Party caretaker executive Veera Musigapong, who noted that "They [the junta] hope that the next government will be a coalition and they can manage to be the leader of the coalition."

I put my answers between in color

The Thai Rak Thai party had several major objections to the draft constitution.

1. It disagreed with an appointed Senate, claiming that it reflected a condescending view of the electorate. It is a good argument, that can be discussed.
  2. It disagreed with Article 299, which provided amnesty to the military junta for staging the September coup. Without such articles we would have military rule forever. How the junta can go back to democracy if they fear for their own safety.
  3. It disagreed with Article 173, which forbade ministers who are MPs from voting for a Prime Minister facing a censure motion, claiming that it undermined the authority of elected politicians. No idea on that point.
  4. It disagreed with Articles 257 and 259, which barred politicians from interfering in the work of bureaucrats, claiming that it would make it difficult for governments to implement their policies. bureaucrats must act according to the laws which are set by the parliament. If they don't do that they are wrong and loose their job. If direct interfering without laws is possible than it opens the door to massive abuse of power and that is exactly what TRT did. Transfer of the bureaucrat in that golf place case and installing Thaksins brother in law as police chief shows how important such a law is.
  5. It noted fear of a return to bureaucratic rule in government, with too much power handed to officials and the courts. Yes that would be very disturbing if bureaucrats and courts can stop politicians from corruption. I don't believe that bureaucrats or courts make problems setting policies that help Thailand.

That shows the intentions very well. They don't want any checks or balance they want the full power them self. And obviously not for doing something good.

Remind me, under who's Foreign Affairs screw up did the Cambodians burn down the Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh?

They didn't get off scot free. Some have been jailed. Some are still going through court cases.

Some got punished. My god they ALL should have got punished for hi-jacking an airport, even the mom and pops. The ones that didn't get punished will feel no problem to hi-jack the airport again. I suggest you book your tickets to KL. Looks like history is about to repeat itself.

so all the thousands of red shirts that took over Rakprasong junction shoud be jailed too?

Some got punished. My god they ALL should have got punished for hi-jacking an airport, even the mom and pops. The ones that didn't get punished will feel no problem to hi-jack the airport again. I suggest you book your tickets to KL. Looks like history is about to repeat itself.

They didn't hijack an airport. They parked themselves in front of it.

Should taxi drivers that protest at airports go to jail too? Baggage handlers that strike and cause chaos at airports for days?

What about protesters that set up barricades stopping tourist access to major tourist shopping areas?

Looks like they moved the check in counters outside then:

e97f0e5a1bb836e78c4574e65cb0-grande.jpg

Nothing to add whybother? Oh and can you tell me how many yellow shirts have been jailed with respect to the "incidents" at the airports

And also;

How about;

Oh and let's not forget;

There are too many people, Thai and otherwise, who claim that the 2007 constitution is bad and want to amend it but have never read it nor understand the proposed changes and how, if at all, these changes will benefi the Thai people.

Should taxi drivers that protest at airports go to jail too? Baggage handlers that strike and cause chaos at airports for days?

What about protesters that set up barricades stopping tourist access to major tourist shopping areas?

Nothing to add whybother? Oh and can you tell me how many yellow shirts have been jailed with respect to the "incidents" at the airports

Apologies for not responding in the allocated time!

That doesn't look like hijacking to me.

I think as many yellow shirts have been jailed for airport incidents in 2008 as have been jailed for attacks by red shirts in 2007. Justice is slow in Thailand.

Apologies for not responding in the allocated time!

That doesn't look like hijacking to me.

I think as many yellow shirts have been jailed for airport incidents in 2008 as have been jailed for attacks by red shirts in 2007. Justice is slow in Thailand.

Oh I thought you were just ignoring my pointing out that far from the yellow shirts just "sitting in front of it" they were actually in the terminal as well - an important distinction. Likewise saying that "Some have been jailed" - well they haven't have they? It's important that people know what really happened.