Defiant Sondhi Vows To Continue Rallies

cdnvic

Defiant Sondhi vows to continue rallies

Published on December 24, 2005

Faced with a dwindling attendance during his weekly anti-government talk show in Lumpini Park, Sondhi Limthongkul vowed to continue mounting the soapbox “even if only a single person man is left to attend”.

“The problem is not whether 200,000 people turn up at Lumpini Park or 40,000 to 50,000 or less,” he said. “I will carry on even if only a single person is left to attend.”

Sondhi claimed a victory over the leaking of the Russian fighter plane scandal two weeks ago, saying because of his outspokenness the plan had now been stalled. As a result, more than Bt10 billion of taxpayers’ money has been saved, he said.

Only about 10,000 people turned up yesterday evening for his show in stark contrast to the more than 50,000 who attended just weeks ago. Sondhi claimed, however, that about 10 million people watched his talk on satellite television.

Apparently in response to the concern by opponents of Thaksin who do not trust Sondhi’s own integrity because of his past record in supporting the premier, the media baron made it clear again that he had been “foolish” in his views of the prime minister in the past.

“Yes I did praise him once,” he said. “I was foolish. But the important thing is that I realised I was wrong and have changed over time.

“The prime minister has looted the country so he should return his [ill-gotten] wealth.”

Sondhi wasted no time in attacking the numerous government projects in Chiang Mai, the PM’s home province. He denounced them as shady deals benefiting only people close to the PM and his ruling party.

He cited the recently opened Night Safari project as one example, saying people had no clue about the venture because it was initiated without public consultation.

“About 10,000 rai of mountainside forest was treated as if it belonged to one clan,” said Sondhi, accusing Phumtham Vejyachai of benefiting from the 30-year concession to run a restaurant at the site of the safari.

Sondhi pledged to reveal further details during his next talk scheduled for January 13.

He alleged that Kanaen Boonsupha, a father-in-law of senior Thai Rak Thai Party member Nevin Chidchob, had in turn benefited from a number of construction contracts in Chiang Mai amounting to some Bt1.88 billion.

“The contracts are not transparent,” Sondhi said. He made disparaging comments about Nevin’s Khmer ethnicity, for which he won a round of applause from the crowd.

The media mogul then turned to the issue of the recent flooding afflicting the south of Thailand. He said Thaksin had been reluctant to visit the region because many people there did not vote for the Thai Rak Thai Party.

“If people there weren’t cursing [Thaksin],” he said, “he wouldn’t have gone there only today [but a lot earlier].”

Pravit Rojanaphruk

The Nation