Ac Dehumidifier Mode - Any Good? Any Savings?

This is the first time I've spent April here in Thailand since becoming a homeowner. It's HOT! I find we are running the AC a lot more than we usually do. In our former small condo, running the AC most of the day was no biggie. In a large house, it's a biggie!

I've noticed a mode on the AC called Dehumidifier. I've done some research on it and know it reduces the humidity, thus making it feel cooler even though it's not cooling. But my question is, how much energy do you really save? I can't seem to find any stats on this.

I've been testing it the past few days and it helps a fair amount. Especially if you do this in conjunction with a fan blowing on you. What I was previously doing was to run the AC for 30 minutes or so, then turn it off for 45-60 minutes. Worked OK, but a pain in terms of turning on and off and on and off....

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!!!!

In the 'dehumidify' or 'dry' mode the fan is operated at lower speeds to increase the amount of moisture removed from the air and not be blown back into the room.

And unless you have an inverter, the compressor will run at the same speed, regardless of the setting.

IMO the 'dry mode' is more efficient during the rainy season and the 'cool mode' is better during the hot, dry season.

I also found that using floor or ceiling fans in either AC mode helps circulation and improves the comfort level.

I don't have hard numbers. But, I haven't seen any noticable changes in my electric bill for either setting, except off!

Edited by rijb
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure all the units are inverters. It was interesting that one unit seemed to cycle on and off and the humidity did go down a bit, but not that much. The air coming out was not really "cold". The other unit was pretty much on all the time (maybe not an inverter?) and the air coming out was fairly cold.

After several hours, it just wasn't cold enough, so I switched it over to AC. If it's only a bit more energy, the AC is worth the difference.

Oh well....I tried...

yeah...I noticed that the electric bill is not much different when running either dry or cooling mode as the compressor operation is about the same...and man, it is hot! and I expect a thb3k EGAT bill this month when just running one 18k btu unit full time...but, gotta have it and can't sleep without it...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I'm pretty sure all the units are inverters. It was interesting that one unit seemed to cycle on and off and the humidity did go down a bit, but not that much. The air coming out was not really "cold". The other unit was pretty much on all the time (maybe not an inverter?) and the air coming out was fairly cold.

After several hours, it just wasn't cold enough, so I switched it over to AC. If it's only a bit more energy, the AC is worth the difference.

Oh well....I tried...

the difference in energy consumptionis is either zero or that small that it can't be measured Craig. TV-Member "rijb" stated correctly "the 'dry mode' is more efficient during the rainy season and the 'cool mode' is better during the hot, dry season."

we have presently during day time very low humidity levels, i.e. forget about using "dry mode".

worthwhile to mention is that the different modes (when "dry mode" is effective in times of high humidity) draw the same electric energy when operating. the savings of dry mode are indirect because it takes less operating hours to achieve lower relative humidity which makes most people feel more comfortable even if the actual temperature is higher. as i just realised that this lecture in my tcherman english might be to cumbersome to understand here a simple example:

room temperature 28ºC / rel. humidity 60% feels more comfortable than

room temperature 26ºC / rel. humidity 85%

hig humidity levels occur in airconditioned rooms when units are overdimensioned. they cool down the room within a rather short time period but because of that short running time dehumidification is insufficient.

yeah...I noticed that the electric bill is not much different when running either dry or cooling mode as the compressor operation is about the same...and man, it is hot! and I expect a thb3k EGAT bill this month when just running one 18k btu unit full time...but, gotta have it and can't sleep without it...

i expect around the same amount or most probably slightly higher albeit... for every week of this month ermm.gif

Thanks guys. This is what I was expecting. Our last bill was 4.5k, but I'm guessing this month will be around 6k. It's just to hot, not worth being uncomfortable. I love sitting outside by the pool, but right now, unless I'm IN the pool, it's too hot!!!!!

Big houses in Thailand should have a small enclosed family space so that members can take refuge from the heat and not having to pay out a huge electric bill.

i never understood the big discussion about airconditioning, its "huge" cost and alternatives like dropping ice cubes in one's underwear to save on cooling. is that discussion also going on in home countries where it's several months below freezing point and are suggestions floating around like shooting a bear, wrap his fur around the body and wearing a racoon fur cap with the tail attached? huh.png

Big houses in Thailand should have a small enclosed family space so that members can take refuge from the heat and not having to pay out a huge electric bill.

i never understood the big discussion about airconditioning, its "huge" cost and alternatives like dropping ice cubes in one's underwear to save on cooling. is that discussion also going on in home countries where it's several months below freezing point and are suggestions floating around like shooting a bear, wrap his fur around the body and wearing a racoon fur cap with the tail attached? huh.png

Just as an FYI....ice cubes in the undies works pretty darn good....but the shrinkage factor kinda pissed off wifey....

I just open the windows to keep cool, but have to weight down every bit of paper and keep hold of nearly finished cans of beer.

• Like 1