20 Years ....The Premiership Nostalgia

MrRed

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

every bit of me that loves football and gifted geniuses wants to find a place in the side for matt le tissier. hard though.

100% on that. If he's just put aside club loyalty for a couple of seasons what a mark he could have left playing in one of the bigger teams.

Best English penalty taker ever?

every bit of me that loves football and gifted geniuses wants to find a place in the side for matt le tissier. hard though.

Have to agree the stevie, excellent player who never used his potential by moving to a bigger club all though i admire his loyalty to his boyhood club.

100% on that. If he's just put aside club loyalty for a couple of seasons what a mark he could have left playing in one of the bigger teams.

he had a really interesting mentality to penalties. he said that when he heard the referee's whistle go to award the penalty he translated it to the crowd cheering a goal inside his head. so when he ran up to take a peno he was 100% convinced that they'd already scored. hence why he only ever missed 1 out of 49 or whatever it was.

he had a really interesting mentality to penalties. he said that when he heard the referee's whistle go to award the penalty he translated it to the crowd cheering a goal inside his head. so when he ran up to take a peno he was 100% convinced that they'd already scored. hence why he only ever missed 1 out of 49 or whatever it was.

The one he missed against Forest saved by Crossley i think was the only time he ever changed his mind on placing it.

with my reds hat on, the best liverpool team of the 20 years of premier league - all playing at their best form from that period - would be:

reina

babbel hyypia agger aurelio

alonso mascherano gerrard

suarez torres fowler

bench: dudek, carragher, riise, hamann, mcmanaman, kewell, collymore

with my reds hat on, the best liverpool team of the 20 years of premier league - all playing at their best form from that period - would be:

reina

suarez torres fowler

Who asked? coffee1.gif

reina

suarez torres fowler

Typical liverpool line up with no wingers, no wonder you have been so far of the title biggrin.png

Schmeichel

Neville

Irwin

Vidic

Stam

Ronaldo

Scholes

Keane

Giggs

Cantona

Henry

Subs

Seaman

Dixon

Evra

Adams

Desailly

Beckham

Gerrard

Le Tissier

Overmars

Bergkamp

Van Nistolroy

Realistically most teams will probably contain a majority of Utd players and Henry. i don't agree with Vidic but its not as he looks out of place. Midfield same as mine Red and its hard to argue isn't it! Henry ofcourse, but Cantona for the mercurial Berkamp,,no way.

Just edited.....Was that an oversight not putting Viera on the subs bench? Or you genuinely don't think he was good enough?

Edited by carmine

I don't think he was any better than Gerrard who scores goals and Le Tissier was just pure genius same mould as Cantona.

Although Viera and Petit was a special pairing.

You could argue that the Arsenal team was as good a team as there has been in the Premier League but what goes against that team is it was not dominant over a longer period.

Ian Wright in his day was another great goalscorer,it is still good to see that a British side from the last 20 years would have some top talent in it but put against a foreigners side i wonder if they would have the technique to win through??

I don't think he was any better than Gerrard who scores goals and Le Tissier was just pure genius same mould as Cantona.

the midfield of pires, vieira, petit and parlour or ljungberg was pretty damned good. not quite as good as giggs - keane - scholes - beckham, but close.

interesting that so few people are naming shearer in their sides, the premier league's record goalscorer.

the midfield of pires, vieira, petit and parlour or ljungberg was pretty damned good. not quite as good as giggs - keane - scholes - beckham, but close.

interesting that so few people are naming shearer in their sides, the premier league's record goalscorer.

Good point. That Blackburn side weren't bad at all...

Good point. That Blackburn side weren't bad at all...

I'm not actually surprised at Shearer not being included baring in mind the choice available. For example, i'd say 95% would include Henry straight away, so realistically theres only one place on offer. look at the options for that second spot.

Ruud Van Nistelrooy had a better record than Shearer in the Premier League

Henry and RVN it should be.

Also of all Shearers 260 goals 58! were penaltys

Edited by MrRed

Ruud Van Nistelrooy had a better record than Shearer in the Premier League

Henry and RVN it should be.

It was a very close call for me between RVN and Berkamp i'll admit.

Why wasn't Andy Carroll name on the list.

• Like 1

Bergkamp goals where average in the League he is well down the list 87 in 315 games To give you an idea Berbatov has scored 69 in 171 thumbsup.gif

Who needs Abrak tongue.png

Edited by MrRed

Why wasn't Andy Carroll name on the list.

For me, right that it isn't. He didn't tend to create much, just loitered around the goal and profited from other people's work. Not of course that there isn't a skill in that, but doesn't really dazzle.

P.S. Actually i tend to remember him as much for his awful misses as for the ones that did go in. If someone has the stat for goals versus number of chances, it would tell the story.

Edited by rixalex

reina

suarez torres fowler

honestly, you beleive this? I originally wrote something quite rude. i've self censorored myslf.....you beleve this shit? please, tell me yescheesy.gif

And you have the balls to critisise my teams..........cheesy.gif

i must apologise, you're talking best liverpool team. still <deleted> though.

No space there for a young Owen or McManaman?

ahead of whom? all at their peaks owen never came close to fowler, torres or suarez imo. mcmanaman was good though. very good actually.

Are you talking about Andy"carthorse"Carroll?

Oops. Something definitely up with my eyes today. How i read Carroll as Cole i'll never know.

Thats more like it....that was freaking me out!!

Glen Hoddle when incumbant England manager called it right about cole. said he needed too many chances. I'll add that he may well have scored forty odd in a season for the barcodes but he had Peter Beardsley putting the ball on the end of his boot. i remember Cole be a hard worker and excellent at finding space but always missed sitters.

i must apologise, you're talking best liverpool team. still <deleted> though.

No space there for a young Owen or McManaman?

ahead of whom? all at their peaks owen never came close to fowler, torres or suarez imo. mcmanaman was good though. very good actually.

To be honest mate i think Suarez has missed a lot of chances. Saying that i'm still not sure i'd pick Owen over him.