Bike In Chiang Mai... Need Some Help/Advice

NinjaNick

hey guys! I'm looking to buy a retro style bike (ie triumph bonneville style etc...) for less then 30,000 baht (cheaper the bike the better as there is registration on top of that) any ideas? anybody selling?? second hand? were to look? etc. Just moved here last week and want to get things going

If not I guess I'll just have to settle for a wave or something :( may be practical and good on gas... but just doesn't feel right

Thanks!!

Nick C

You're dreaming at that price unless it's a typo and you meant 300,000 not 30,000.

Up it to about 60 or 70k to start looking at crap unless you want a 200cc Honda Phantom which are actually pretty decent bikes so long as you don't want MotoGP handling and speed. Even then you are looking at 50K+ for a reasonable 4 or 5 year old bike.

Cheers,

Pikey.

haha nope! not dreaming (found a 1966 refurbished suzuki s32 2 for sale today with the green book... gorgeous classic bike. He let me take it out for a spin and it ran like a charm smile.png the guy is moving next month and is selling it.

Good for you. I thought you were after a larger capacity bike but if that's what rings your bell then you have bought right. Great thing about old bikes here in CM is that there is a lot of underground culture with the locals who love them, esp the older Honda singles & twins. Personally, I'd love a nice original XL125 from the mid 70's - orange tank, low front mudguard e.t.c.

Enjoy your ride,

Pikey.

Err, OK, so you were talking about a "Triumph Bonneville style e.t.c" bike and an SR400 was mentioned. Now you have settled on a 150cc Suzuki?

OK. for you but it would've been better to qualify what you were after when you posted. Enjoy your bike and make friends with lots of the locals cos they love the old stuff and can help you with the spares you will probably need. Personally, I hanker for an old mid 70's XL125 - orange tank, upswept exhaust, low front guard e.t.c.

Cheers & many happy miles,

Pikey.

haha yes yes you're correct :P I mentioned them as they are popular and represent the style I like... although finding one for cheap my be difficult.

ps.. I've been working on bike for awhile with my dad.. but I have a question, I know its possible to install and electric start on some bikes.. but how bout one from back in the 60's.. is it possible? just curious :)

and I wanted to get the fuel tank professionally painted.. any tips on were to get that done for a good price?

Legit Bonneville for under 30,000THB? Yeah, good luck with that one!

Re: and I wanted to get the fuel tank professionally painted.. any tips on were to get that done for a good price?

Try the motorbike shop on the right-hand-side after you cross Nawarat Bridge, heading towards the train station. They do powder coating for reasonable prices.