Look Who Came To Play

nocturn

Just how explosive was the involuntary bowel voiding episode..

he stopped me in my tracks, but didn't freak me out. sent me running for the camera. i have seen him around before, usually hanging out in the trees. I have never seen him this exposed, usually my cat chases him away. he is actually tiny as the hose shows.

he stopped me in my tracks, but didn't freak me out. sent me running for the camera. i have seen him around before, usually hanging out in the trees. I have never seen him this exposed, usually my cat chases him away. he is actually tiny as the hose shows.

You're aware it is a Pit Viper and not a harmless green tree snake right?

Uhm..The emerald green colour made me think of a tree snake..Well, i'm not an expert anyway.

Uhm..The emerald green colour made me think of a tree snake..Well, i'm not an expert anyway.

Green Pit Vipers live in trees...not pits...which makes you wonder why they don't call them tree vipers....whistling.gif

A friend of mine formerly of Krabi told me that those little guys kill more people down there than any other snake. He says they are difficult to see among the tree leaves and that people are usually bitten in the face.

it is a green viper, yes, i am well aware.

Venomous but not deadly. They are bad tempered and are quick to bite but they won't kill you unless you have an allergy to their venom. My dog was bitten a couple of times on the nose. His nose swelled enormously and he was simply put on saline and oxygen to help his breathing. A few hours later he was fine, but will not mess with snakes anymore.

Interesting and beautiful creatures.

it is a green viper, yes, i am well aware.

I applaud your naturalism. I would have killed.

Or at least tossed it into the next doors yard.

Never kill a snake.......

Reminds me to that guy who posted proudly that he kills all snakes he can find.

6 Month later he posted on how to fix that big problem with rats and he don't know why there are soooo many now.

Scary stuff, but wow extremely beautiful! I adore snakes and reptiles, but have a healthy fear of how dangerous some can be. I never know which ones are ok or not, so stay well clear. Great shot nocturn.

Scary stuff, but wow extremely beautiful! I adore snakes and reptiles, but have a healthy fear of how dangerous some can be. I never know which ones are ok or not, so stay well clear. Great shot nocturn.

Hes, good shot. Credit to the snake though, he got "See my playful side" and "I'm going to inject you with poison" all into one pose.

• Like 1

I took this photo when I was down in Borneo last year, I think its the same type of snake. Apparently this snake can sit stock still on a branch for a couple of weeks at a time waiting for its prey to come along. This guy certainly did not move for the whole day I was in the area.

I was told that the juveniles are the most dangerous as they inject all their venom when they bite, the adults reserve some venom for defensive and future kill reasons.

post-132287-0-51087900-1334907466_thumb.

I would love to see a Cobra in the wild here in Thailand.

I took this photo when I was down in Borneo last year, I think its the same type of snake. Apparently this snake can sit stock still on a branch for a couple of weeks at a time waiting for its prey to come along. This guy certainly did not move for the whole day I was in the area.

I was told that the juveniles are the most dangerous as they inject all their venom when they bite, the adults reserve some venom for defensive and future kill reasons.

Sounds like a description of every German man who frequents Soi 7 in Bangkok!

• Like 1

Mate, I've been face to face with a Cobra from about 2 feet away, trust me, you wouldn't want to get close to one....... not unless you needed a bowel evac.

cheesy.gif ........I am jealous though. biggrin.png

Sounds like a description of every German man who frequents Soi 7 in Bangkok!

That must be Teutonic humour.

Right over my head.

I've been too close to a Monocled Cobra. I was scraping leftovers into the dogs dish. Wasn't looking, and I heard the hiss. I looked around and it was crawling away, hood flared. My hand must have been about 6" away at the time. We've had a big KC behind the house. It was fully grown. I was on the balcony, and that was close enough.

Mate, I've been face to face with a Cobra from about 2 feet away, trust me, you wouldn't want to get close to one....... not unless you needed a bowel evac.

cheesy.gif ........I am jealous though. biggrin.png

Don't be; be thankful. I had one camped on my door step in Hong Kong when I came back with the dogs from a walk once; reared up as the lab piled forward to say hi. I thought it was a stick right until the point that the fecker was a foot in the air, hood puffed out, and arching backwards. My pulling the bloody lab back was just in time I think. Lucky my old neighbour popped round to see what the fuss was, hit it with his stick and slung it in his bag. He then got an almighty ear ache from his wife for killing it; he could have sold it for double to the price to the Sheung Wan restaurants if it had been alive she said.

• Like 1

This is a post I made elsewhere, just to give you the full picture, it's fairly long......

Sitting at my computer desk in my den one day, watching yet another pointless argument in a Thai based internet forum dissolve in to the usual name calling session, I noticed that it was nearly 5pm and my stomach had started to rumble. Having no food in the fridge I decided to venture in to town to see what international culinary delight the local farang bar was going to destroy today.

Closing my den door behind me, I walked through the kitchen and heard a sound that I recognised immediately, plastic bowl on tiled floor, the first thought I had was “the poodle has knocked her dish under one of the units and the mice are back” so I got down on all fours for a quick look, the second thought I had was “Oh crap”...... it had less legs than a mouse, i.e. none, was about two meters longer and shiny.

I thanked whatever god you may believe in that I hadn't just waved my hand around under there and backed away slowly. Now, I know that 80% of the snakes in Thailand are not venomous, but that means that 20% are and there was no way on earth that I was going to lock the house up and drive in to town leaving the beastie inside.

So, what to do? I could ask for help from one of the locals, but if you know what the Thai word is for snake and how fiendishly difficult it is to pronounce, I could only surmise that it would cause much mirth and merriment, but not a lot of action. Or I could try and chase it out myself.

First things first, close all the doors except the kitchen door to the outside, so it only has one way to go, second, something to protect myself, easy, a small but sturdy blanket from one of the beds, thirdly, something to prod it with, something longer than two meters at least.

That morning I had been cleaning the cobwebs from the ceiling, Thai ceilings are quite high and the vacuum cleaner was still propped up in the corner with the extra long nozzle still attached. Five minutes later I'm ready, a Knight in jeans and trainers kneeling on the kitchen floor, a blanket as a shield over one arm and a plastic lance made by Electrolux in the other.

In a flash of brilliance or a moment of insanity depending on you viewpoint, I actually turned on the vacuum cleaner.

I slid the tube underneath the unit very very slowly and it wasn't long before I heard the satisfactory thud and increased motor whine meaning something was stuck on the end of it. I started to withdraw it even more slowly than it went in and my heart sank when the motor noise returned to normal.

The snake did not give me time to think of what to do next and made an appearance. I can only assume that it was a little bit pissed off and quite possibly somewhat embarrassed about being disturbed in this fashion. It came towards me, raised itself off the floor, spread the hood and showed me its fangs, so I now know what sort of snake it is. Remember, I'm kneeling on the flood, so I have a King Cobra literally inches away from my face (like Indiana Jones, but without the sheet of glass) I instantly went from Def-Con Oh Crap to Def-Con Oh <deleted>, sorry for using that word, but it is the only way to describe it.

I thought, don't stare at it, don't stare at it, I'd read somewhere that was a bad thing to do as they can spit at you. I turned my head to one side cautiously while keeping my eyes on it, I saw the snake look around and examine the situation, it saw the open door leading outside, must have decided that I was too big to eat, lowered itself down and slid graciously out, and I'm sure I heard it mutter 'prat'

My legs gave way and I became a crumpled mess on the floor, about an hour later I stopped shaking.

I've been in scary situations before, but I can honestly say, that was the first time that I knew what absolute terror felt like, I hope it's also the last.

So what Farang food did you have ?

This is a post I made elsewhere, just to give you the full picture, it's fairly long......

Sitting at my computer desk in my den one day, watching yet another pointless argument in a Thai based internet forum dissolve in to the usual name calling session, I noticed that it was nearly 5pm and my stomach had started to rumble. Having no food in the fridge I decided to venture in to town to see what international culinary delight the local farang bar was going to destroy today.

Closing my den door behind me, I walked through the kitchen and heard a sound that I recognised immediately, plastic bowl on tiled floor, the first thought I had was “the poodle has knocked her dish under one of the units and the mice are back” so I got down on all fours for a quick look, the second thought I had was “Oh crap”...... it had less legs than a mouse, i.e. none, was about two meters longer and shiny.

I thanked whatever god you may believe in that I hadn't just waved my hand around under there and backed away slowly. Now, I know that 80% of the snakes in Thailand are not venomous, but that means that 20% are and there was no way on earth that I was going to lock the house up and drive in to town leaving the beastie inside.

So, what to do? I could ask for help from one of the locals, but if you know what the Thai word is for snake and how fiendishly difficult it is to pronounce, I could only surmise that it would cause much mirth and merriment, but not a lot of action. Or I could try and chase it out myself.

First things first, close all the doors except the kitchen door to the outside, so it only has one way to go, second, something to protect myself, easy, a small but sturdy blanket from one of the beds, thirdly, something to prod it with, something longer than two meters at least.

That morning I had been cleaning the cobwebs from the ceiling, Thai ceilings are quite high and the vacuum cleaner was still propped up in the corner with the extra long nozzle still attached. Five minutes later I'm ready, a Knight in jeans and trainers kneeling on the kitchen floor, a blanket as a shield over one arm and a plastic lance made by Electrolux in the other.

In a flash of brilliance or a moment of insanity depending on you viewpoint, I actually turned on the vacuum cleaner.

I slid the tube underneath the unit very very slowly and it wasn't long before I heard the satisfactory thud and increased motor whine meaning something was stuck on the end of it. I started to withdraw it even more slowly than it went in and my heart sank when the motor noise returned to normal.

The snake did not give me time to think of what to do next and made an appearance. I can only assume that it was a little bit pissed off and quite possibly somewhat embarrassed about being disturbed in this fashion. It came towards me, raised itself off the floor, spread the hood and showed me its fangs, so I now know what sort of snake it is. Remember, I'm kneeling on the flood, so I have a King Cobra literally inches away from my face (like Indiana Jones, but without the sheet of glass) I instantly went from Def-Con Oh Crap to Def-Con Oh <deleted>, sorry for using that word, but it is the only way to describe it.

I thought, don't stare at it, don't stare at it, I'd read somewhere that was a bad thing to do as they can spit at you. I turned my head to one side cautiously while keeping my eyes on it, I saw the snake look around and examine the situation, it saw the open door leading outside, must have decided that I was too big to eat, lowered itself down and slid graciously out, and I'm sure I heard it mutter 'prat'

My legs gave way and I became a crumpled mess on the floor, about an hour later I stopped shaking.

I've been in scary situations before, but I can honestly say, that was the first time that I knew what absolute terror felt like, I hope it's also the last.

and why would you pray to whatever god i believe in?

If I remember correctly it was a very bland steak pie with custard.

and why would you pray to whatever god i believe in?

Because I'm agnostic, duh.

When I went to visit my boyfriend's family in Phatthalung (he lives in the jungle proper) there was a Cobra snake in the kitchen area. I screamed and everyone laughed at me. Some guy killed it and then later on that night whilst eating (I couldn't speak southern Thai at the time) so I had no idea what I was eating but yup... I was eating that dam_n cobra. I nearly died a little inside!