Yippee Beans On Toast

raymp

Finally after starving for so long, i have found a can of BAKED BEANS in a supermarket.

Australian farangs will know the food i mean.

Tops supermarket on Suksawat Road, Phrapradaeng have some cans and i bought them all.

The top is a little rusty but the baked beans are supurb.

I didnt know i missed them so much.

Lucky i have a supply of vegemite i brought from australia.

My thai wife had a sniff and went Yukkkkkk.

What is the farang food you miss from your old country?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah! Such memories....

I had an e-mail today from my cousin who has lived in the southernmost part of Spain, Algeciras for 40+ years. She has just taken delivery of 10 kgs of haggis delivered along with 2kgs of sliced sausage - haute cuisine a l'Ecosse.

I envy her even though she must have paid a fortune for it to be flown from Linlithgow via London to Seville.

At the beginningof the year I received the tragic news from an old friend that our favourite butcher's shop had been subject to an arson attack by errant kids. That brought back memories of his World Championship Scotch Pie awards - 2 Firsts in 3 years before I left. I could think of nothing else for weeks but the smell and taste of those delicious combinations of minced lamb, fat, pepper and water pastry.

Baked beans are widely available although Heinz tend to be expensive, Brook, Mayam, and Mayam Light seem to be some popular choices see this thread for further info http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/541935-baked-beans/

As for vegemite... yes is also available. My wifes comment on the smell is not printable on this forum.

Baked beans have been available at pretty much all supermarkets in Bangkok for years. What has taken you so long to stumble across them Ray?

If you go with Mayam brand, do make sure you get the light ones. The standard non-light ones are very sweet.

Baked beans have been available at pretty much all supermarkets in Bangkok for years. What has taken you so long to stumble across them Ray?

If you go with Mayam brand, do make sure you get the light ones. The standard non-light ones are very sweet.

Perhaps he normally lets the wife do the supermarket run?

Perhaps he normally lets the wife do the supermarket run?

Perhaps so... himself to blame then.smile.png

If I have to go with the standard Mayam brand then I use a couple of splashes of Malt Vinegar or Tobasco Sauce to get rid of the sweet taste.

Edited by mallyrd

If I have to go with the standard Mayam brand then I use a couple of splashes of Malt Vinegar or Tobasco Sauce to get rid of the sweet taste.

Light ones not available in your area then?

Re-read the post, I said "if", light are sometimes available as are heinz.

Now children, don't squabble - they are all baked beans in tomato sauce Edited by pastitche

No need to go bean hungry.

Brooks Beans are just as good as Heinz or SPC....I used to buy SPC here all the time, have not seen them for a little while though...but we do not live in Bkk anymore either.

Brooks are available in Tesco.

Someone told me...not sure if true or not....but Brooks is made by the same company, or owned same same etc so the taste is the same, but cost a lot less....that would make sense.

I am having them tonight....my special blend....I cut up smoked cocktail sausages, cracked pepper and a splash of tobasco sauce and mix it all up in the pan....outstanding.

Looks like i need reading glasses more than i do beans. Sorry.

No need to go bean hungry.

Brooks Beans are just as good as Heinz or SPC....I used to buy SPC here all the time, have not seen them for a little while though...but we do not live in Bkk anymore either.

Brooks are available in Tesco.

Someone told me...not sure if true or not....but Brooks is made by the same company, or owned same same etc so the taste is the same, but cost a lot less....that would make sense.

I am having them tonight....my special blend....I cut up smoked cocktail sausages, cracked pepper and a splash of tobasco sauce and mix it all up in the pan....outstanding.

Agree with you about Brooks.

What is cracked pepper?

To me sounds like that dish could use something in the way of potato.

What is cracked pepper?

Excellent idea re potato...might try that.

Cracked pepper is black pepper, small black peppercorns, in the grinder and 'cracked' over your meal...

What is cracked pepper?

Excellent idea re potato...might try that.

Cracked pepper is black pepper, small black peppercorns, in the grinder and 'cracked' over your meal...

Thanks for the explanation. Must admit i thought that was referred to as ground pepper. Anyway, enjoy your beans tonight and do take my advice and throw in a spud or two! You won't regret.

I believe ground pepper is like the dust...what you get in the pepper shakers on any restaurant table.

Cracked pepper is just that...the peppercorn cracked into small chunks.....not ground into dust.....tis much more tasty

I believe ground pepper is like the dust...what you get in the pepper shakers on any restaurant table.

Cracked pepper is just that...the peppercorn cracked into small chunks.....not ground into dust.....tis much more tasty

You learn something every day as they say. Thanks.

My God you have all made me hungry. My Atkins diet has just been blown clean out the water thanks to you lot. Spuds are cooking, beans are ready, and a big home made chicken and veg pie with short crust pastry is on the go. mmmmmmmm fat boy again tonight :) ooooh mustn't forget a couple of slices of bread and butter!

• Like 1

I'm amazed that this thread has mainly focused on baked beans, something so readily available in supermarkets. Don't you guys miss anything else? If I were an Australian I would long for things Australian like Moreton Bay bugs, WA crayfish, barramundi and if I were from Adelaide perhaps a pie floater; and your country has the best lamb in the world.....

Edited by pastitche
  • Like 1

My God you have all made me hungry. My Atkins diet has just been blown clean out the water thanks to you lot. Spuds are cooking, beans are ready, and a big home made chicken and veg pie with short crust pastry is on the go. mmmmmmmm fat boy again tonight smile.png ooooh mustn't forget a couple of slices of bread and butter!

You only live once Jim.

Seems to be cliché Sunday.

Now that i've said that, i've given myself a hankering for quiche lorraine and beans. Oh dear...

I'm amazed that this thread has mainly focused on baked beans, something so readily available in supermarkets. Don't you guys miss anything else? If I were an Australian I would long for things Australian like Moreton Bay bugs, WA crayfish, barramundi and if I were from Adelaide perhaps a pie floater; and your country has the best lamb in the world.....

You should add that the Kiwis can't play rugby as well for maximum effect.

I agree about beans not really something one need hanker for here, with their widespread availability, but to question you on the lamb, are you saying Aussie is better than New Zealand?

hmpf....goes to show how much you know.

Moreton bay bugs are here...just different name and about 5/700 per kilo from memory.

Crayfish is over rated....the bugs are much tastier than any crayfish or lobster.

Barramundi is available in plentiful supply...we have it regularly.

We have a freezer currently stocked with lamb chops and 2 legs....easily available and if you know where to shop...priced right too.

Pies available from 2 suppliers I know of and one sells a tub of mushy peas if that takes your fancy.

Vegemite a plenty.

hmpf....goes to show how much you know.

Moreton bay bugs are here...just different name and about 5/700 per kilo from memory.

Crayfish is over rated....the bugs are much tastier than any crayfish or lobster.

Barramundi is available in plentiful supply...we have it regularly.

We have a freezer currently stocked with lamb chops and 2 legs....easily available and if you know where to shop...priced right too.

Pies available from 2 suppliers I know of and one sells a tub of mushy peas if that takes your fancy.

Vegemite a plenty.

Where are you getting your lamb?

NZ lamb chops are simply the best in the world....Mmmmmm!

Where are you getting your lamb?

NZ lamb chops are simply the best in the world....Mmmmmm!

Well...I guess you will not be interested in ours as we only by the much better Oz lamb.

Here is a quiz for you....how much would you expect to pay per kilo for lamb chops and a leg....??

Brook actually do taste the same as heinze you can buy them anywhere in Pattaya also nice with some curry powder added,as for vegamite ,its just a poor immitation of marmite ,but then what can you expect when we sent our convicts to Australia they tried but just couldnt quite manage the same taste whistling.gifbiggrin.pngcheesy.gif