Dydns

skippybangkok

If you are able to ping your DynDNS name from another internet connected computer, most probably you have to set up port forwarding in your new router. You application should tell you what ports to forward, or may have the option to enable UPnP for automatic forwarding.

If you are able to ping your DynDNS name from another internet connected computer, most probably you have to set up port forwarding in your new router. You application should tell you what ports to forward, or may have the option to enable UPnP for automatic forwarding.

Thanks....... ping works.

UPnP enabled..........

guess it must be the port forwarding. As per the above, its not an app, just simply the URL. When i click it ( with the right ABCDE part of the URL ), it normally does something magic ........ and the lights in the room or aircon go on or off. Easy at night, just click the link on iphone, and lights out ( ya - lazy).

but nice when coming home late and tired, can turn on aircon 20 mins early, come home to cool bedroom, shower and zzzzzzzzz.

how to forward the port ? (have done it for xbox, but not sure how to forward a URL )

Did you set up the router to use Dyndns? The router has to announce what IP is used to reach the public IP necessary to activate the thermostat.

If you had a static IP, you wouldn't need dyndns.

Did you set up the router to use Dyndns? The router has to announce what IP is used to reach the public IP necessary to activate the thermostat.

If you had a static IP, you wouldn't need dyndns.

Yur nailing it !..... dont know how to set this up. As most people in thailand, we are all on dynamic IP, thats why needed to use DyDNS anyway ( i think )

1. At the PC where the software for controlling your house is used go to web site http://www.whatsmyip.org/ to check your IP address. make a note of it.
  2. From the same or a different PC Ping the name you registered with DynDNS (instructions for this are athttp://www.mymommybi.../howtoping.html)
  3. The result should show you Pinging IP "xxx'xxx'xxx'xxx) which should be the same address as you noted in step 1. If this is the case Dyn DNS is probably working OK. If not there is definitely a DynDNS issue
  4. If the Ping command returns a response in the form reply from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is as noted in step 1, then all is OK. and the problem is almost certainly with port forwarding
  5. If the reply is Request timed then the problem is with your DynDNS settings check the steps above

If your problem is port forwarding, then there ar many good sites with detailed instructions.

Here is one http://www.howtogeek...on-your-router/

Edited by thaimite

Thanks !....... well, kinda made it half way...........

1) Managed to make both pings the same............. ( had to update dyndns IP address )

2) established that the web box to connect to lights is on 192.168.1.15

3) i know port 8080 because h t t p : / / ABCDE.dyndns.org:8080/PPG=CCB=BBX=6LLG=2

tried to put the stuff in single port forwarding....... but seems not to do anything......

did i get it wrong ?

1) Managed to make both pings the same............. ( had to update dyndns IP address )

3) i know port 8080 because h t t p : / / ABCDE.dyndns.org:8080/PPG=CCB=BBX=6LLG=2

tried to put the stuff in single port forwarding....... but seems not to do anything......

did i get it wrong ?

You need to forward port 8080 to 192.168.1.15. This device must have a static IP address

You probably only need to forward TCP traffic but there will be no harm in setting up a port forward for UDP as well

did i get it wrong ?

You need to forward port 8080 to 192.168.1.15. This device must have a static IP address

You probably only need to forward TCP traffic but there will be no harm in setting up a port forward for UDP as well

Cheers.... will try again tonight..... all internal IP's are static, so should be ok...... but not sure the .15 is the right one. Its the only one without a Id ( the rest is i.e. desktop, laptop, iphone etc.... will unplug / replug the box and see if it comes up with a IP. I kinda understand the logic now, and thanks a million.

for the other OP, its called ALL-Light, i think made in China. Not super, is a little buggy, but has been good for turning lights on/off and aircon using iphone.... pretty handy, and the pre-cooling down the bedroom before coming home to zzz is a function i like.

Not sure if i am solving anything, but learning tons in the process..............

new learnings.......... 192.168.1.15 was not the box "web box" which connects through to the lights controller............

I have found all of the IP's in the DHCP Client Table for laptops / iphone etc....... BUT......... could not find the web box controller which connects to the Port #2 on the modem.

The i realized that the AP (which comes into the house, and is on 192.168.1.1 is on Port #1, and it does not appear also in DHCP Client Table

.............. so..............

HOW DO I KNOW WHICH IP IT USES WHEN I CANT SEE IT?

Thanks.......... almost there i think.

Not sure if i am solving anything, but learning tons in the process..............

new learnings.......... 192.168.1.15 was not the box "web box" which connects through to the lights controller............

I have found all of the IP's in the DHCP Client Table for laptops / iphone etc....... BUT......... could not find the web box controller which connects to the Port #2 on the modem.

The i realized that the AP (which comes into the house, and is on 192.168.1.1 is on Port #1, and it does not appear also in DHCP Client Table

.............. so..............

HOW DO I KNOW WHICH IP IT USES WHEN I CANT SEE IT?

Thanks.......... almost there i think.

For port forwarding to work, the box must have a static IP, i

To find this you will have to go in to the configuration of the box to find out how it is set up.

If you are using DHCP the box will get a new IP each time it starts and the port forwarding will stop working unless you use UPnP.

If it has UPnP and UPnP is also enabled in the router then it should negotiate the correct port forwarding as needed. This does not appear to be happening

I am assuming you have only 1 router and that is the one connected to the internet. If you have multiple routers things are a little more complex.

Items with fixed IP addresses will not show in your routers DHCP table.

From what you have said the only issue is to find the IP address of your box, and if it is manually set and not DHCP, then there must be someway to configure it.

edit

Also check if your router has a firewall enabled. This can also cause issues for incoming traffic

Edited by thaimite

We have progress

When key this in.....192.168.1.10/PPG=CCB=BBX=6LLG=2 from in the house, it works ( good start ).

IP is confirmed fixed on 10 ( static )

Dyndns ping to both ip # and ip URL both return same result.... Works....

But below URL does not work. I am assuming 8080 is the port to forward below ?

H t t p : / / ABCDE.dyndns.org:8080/PPG=CCB=BBX=6LLG=2

Checked firewall, even when off, still nothing happens .....

Any which way... That I got the internal working is a good start & thx ! Have learnt alot in the process

I have a similar setup in Germany, to switch on my TV-server, so lets go:

That just means, you router answers, but not your device.

If this URL is really correct and works:

192.168.1.10/PPG=CCB=BBX=6LLG=2

this one can never work, because of the wrong port 8080

In you local network, you connect via port 80

Why do you try to connect via port 8080 from outside?

SO:

1. what is the correct port? (I reckon your device has a Web interface, so post the complete local URL on which it is accessible!)

2. If its really 80, change the device port (via Webif), to 8080

3. If 8080 is set, set your router to forward incoming connections on port 8080 to 192.168.1.10

4. forget UPNP

You are very close

You do not need the port number (8080) when on the local network and it knows how to find 192.168.1.10 to issue the command.

When issue the command from outside the house then it uses the port number (8080) to direct the command internally to 192.168.1.10, thus you need to prt forward port 8080 to 192.,168,1,10.

If it does not work there are only 4 possibilities

1 dyndns is not working (already checked)

2 Port 8080 forwarding to 192,168.1.10 is not set up correctly

3 Port 8080 is not the correct port in your configuration (Check the box settings and if not correct change your port forwarding accordingly)

4 Fiewall issue (you say firewall is turned off in the router), you could try opening oort 8080 in the firewall anyway for good measure but it should make no difference if the INCOMING firewall is turned off in the router

You are almost there

You do not need the port number (8080) when on the local network and it knows how to find 192.168.1.10 to issue the command.

Who is it, do you mean the browser or a special tool?

If you don't have a "special tool" for this device, which is able to find it automatically, you HAVE to specify the port.

Everything else is nonsense.

I am running several services on my machine and the local network, under different ports, and for every admin Webif/page/whatever, I have to specify the port number in the browser, even from the local network.

As I mentioned before, I have a similar device and FF/Chrome definitely needs the port number to connect!

How else should it work, the browser cannot know, which server do you want to reach on "localhost" or "192.168.1.10". wink.png

PS: If you don't specify a port number, the browser only tries to connect on port 80. (Why should he try 8080?)

If the device is really running on 8080, you won't be able to connect, without transmitting a port number!

Edited by roban

Who is it, do you mean the browser or a special tool?

If you don't have a "special tool" for this device, which is able to find it automatically, you HAVE to specify the port.

Everything else is nonsense.

I am running several services on my machine and the local network, under different ports, and for every admin Webif/page/whatever, I have to specify the port number in the browser, even from the local network.

As I mentioned before, I have a similar device and FF/Chrome definitely needs the port number to connect!

How else should it work, the browser cannot know, which server do you want to reach on "localhost" or "192.168.1.10". wink.png

PS: If you don't specify a port number, the browser only tries to connect on port 80. (Why should he try 8080?)

If the device is really running on 8080, you won't be able to connect, without transmitting a port number!

When sending commands from a PC on the local LAN the IP address (192.168.1.x) specifies the machine to send the command to. In this case a port number may not be required unless that box is running multiple services in which case it will be.

When connecting from outside your home network, you are using your WAN internet address (via DynDNS) When the data then gets to your router the router does not know where to send it unless there is a port number attached (8080 in this case), and prt forwarding is enbaled correctly.

The point was, the port number is mandatory from outside the local LAN, but may not be required when issuing the command from another PC on the local LAN depending on the unit and the number of services it is running. Some boxes have multiple ports for different functions, others do not.

Whether the correct port is 80, 8080 or other is up to the configuration of the box. It can almost certainly be changed, to avoid conflicts with other devices and applications that may be on the network.

You are very close

When issue the command from outside the house then it uses the port number (8080) to direct the command internally to 192.168.1.10, thus you need to prt forward port 8080 to 192.,168,1,10.

3 Port 8080 is not the correct port in your configuration (Check the box settings and if not correct change your port forwarding accordingly)

4 Fiewall issue (you say firewall is turned off in the router), you could try opening oort 8080 in the firewall anyway for good measure but it should make no difference if the INCOMING firewall is turned off in the router

You are almost there

Thanks guys....

Before changing to a new modem, I used this URL for years :

H t t p : / / ABCDE.dyndns.org:8080/PPG=CCB=BBX=6LLG=2. ( abcde = dummy for real URL to prevent all TV-ers from turning on and off my lights ).

Like I said,used it for years and it worked... Could manage lights/air on from anywhere.

I suspect that 8080 there for is still correct, but my final issue as per Thaimite would be ie problems with DYNDNS, modem firewall, or port forwarding....

But I used "single port forward" , put in 192.168.1.10, both tcp and the other ( udp I think), port 8080, ticked box to make it active in linksys modem.....

Also tried DMz and no firewall.... Still not work

..... Kinda feel DYNDNS is the last remaining issue ???

You are very close

You are almost there

Thanks guys....

Before changing to a new modem, I used this URL for years :

H t t p : / / ABCDE.dyndns.org:8080/PPG=CCB=BBX=6LLG=2. ( abcde = dummy for real URL to prevent all TV-ers from turning on and off my lights ).

Like I said,used it for years and it worked... Could manage lights/air on from anywhere.

I suspect that 8080 there for is still correct, but my final issue as per Thaimite would be ie problems with DYNDNS, modem firewall, or port forwarding....

But I used "single port forward" , put in 192.168.1.10, both tcp and the other ( udp I think), port 8080, ticked box to make it active in linksys modem.....

Also tried DMz and no firewall.... Still not work

..... Kinda feel DYNDNS is the last remaining issue ???

DMZ will not help.

Firewall should be off

From your previous correspondence DynDNS seems to be OK., so my money is on the port not being correct.

If you wish to eliminate the DynDNS issue , go to WhatsMyIP.org as above, and find your IP address. Issue the command but replace your DynDNS name with the your current WAN IP address from WhatsmyIP.org.and it should work.

I assume you are not on a mobile connection such as 3G or CAT CDMA as that will never work!!

DMZ will not help.

Firewall should be off

From your previous correspondence DynDNS seems to be OK., so my money is on the port not being correct.

If you wish to eliminate the DynDNS issue , go to WhatsMyIP.org as above, and find your IP address. Issue the command but replace your DynDNS name with the your current WAN IP address from WhatsmyIP.org.and it should work.

I assume you are not on a mobile connection such as 3G or CAT CDMA as that will never work!!

Interesting.,,,,,,,

If command in browse

htt p: / / myURL.dyndns.org:8080/PPG=CCB=BBX=3LLG=2

Result i get is

h ttp:// 192.168.1.254:52000/Unsecured.asp?myURL.dyndns.org:8080/PPG=CCB=BBX=3LLG=2

BUT......

if i command ( the IP address my modem is connected to as per whatsmyIp.org)

http :// 124.120.xxx.yyy:8080/PPG=CCB=BBX=3LLG=2 i get the modem login screen pop up asking login and password.

When i look at DYNDNS.ORG, it has myURL, with the IP addresss 124.120.xxx.yyy in the box next to it, and the comment below the box that "your current ip address is 124.120.xxx.yyy " (same as the above - so match ! ).

Conclusion, something happens on 8080..... using the raw IP address, replace the IP with myURL, you get a different result......

so DYNDNS is giving 2 different responses

Edited by skippybangkok

DMZ will not help.

Firewall should be off

Interesting.,,,,,,,

If command in browse

htt p: / / myURL.dyndns.org:8080/PPG=CCB=BBX=3LLG=2

Result i get is

h ttp:// 192.168.1.254:52000/Unsecured.asp?myURL.dyndns.org:8080/PPG=CCB=BBX=3LLG=2

BUT......

if i command ( the IP address my modem is connected to as per whatsmyIp.org)

http :// 124.120.xxx.yyy:8080/PPG=CCB=BBX=3LLG=2 i get the modem login screen pop up asking login and password.

When i look at DYNDNS.ORG, it has myURL, with the IP addresss 124.120.xxx.yyy in the box next to it, and the comment below the box that "your current ip address is 124.120.xxx.yyy " (same as the above - so match ! ).

Conclusion, something happens on 8080..... using the raw IP address, replace the IP with myURL, you get a different result......

so DYNDNS is giving 2 different responses

I wonder if the remote login for your modem is also port 8080? If that was the case maybe it would intercept the command beofre forwarding it. Can you configure tyour control box to be a different port to 8080 (any will do e.g. 8081) OR can you change the remote login to your modem.

By the way what is the model of modem you are using.

I have a similar setup in Germany, to switch on my TV-server, so lets go:

That just means, you router answers, but not your device.

If this URL is really correct and works:

192.168.1.10/PPG=CCB=BBX=6LLG=2

this one can never work, because of the wrong port 8080

In you local network, you connect via port 80

Why do you try to connect via port 8080 from outside?

SO:

1. what is the correct port? (I reckon your device has a Web interface, so post the complete local URL on which it is accessible!)

2. If its really 80, change the device port (via Webif), to 8080

3. If 8080 is set, set your router to forward incoming connections on port 8080 to 192.168.1.10

4. forget UPNP

local url is 192.168.1.10/PPG=CCB=BBX=6LLG=2

checked with yougetsignal.com and it says 8080 on my WAN IP is closed, when i actually opened in my modem - weird

I wonder if the remote login for your modem is also port 8080? If that was the case maybe it would intercept the command beofre forwarding it. Can you configure tyour control box to be a different port to 8080 (any will do e.g. 8081) OR can you change the remote login to your modem.

By the way what is the model of modem you are using.

Cant change the box...... i believe made in china and re-branded. it was "AllLight" web box....... impossible to find any web support on it.

Using Cicso / Linksys X2000 modem, quite a new model.

interesting - found the remote mangement disabled on 8080........ i did go in, change to 888, and then disable again ./ save...........

test with myURL.dydns.org and the myWanIP.DYDNS.org give same results.

:)

When sending commands from a PC on the local LAN the IP address (192.168.1.x) specifies the machine to send the command to. In this case a port number may not be required unless that box is running multiple services in which case it will be

This is just wrong!

My device (192.168.1.111), will never connect, unless I use: "192.168.1.111:8888".

Do you really think, your browser tries to connect on every available port?

checked with yougetsignal.com and it says 8080 on my WAN IP is closed, when i actually opened in my modem - weird

For me it seems, his device listens on port 80, but unfortunately, his answers are a little bit "confusing".

He is not sure about the used port, he just "suspects"....sorry...I am out

Edited by roban

When sending commands from a PC on the local LAN the IP address (192.168.1.x) specifies the machine to send the command to. In this case a port number may not be required unless that box is running multiple services in which case it will be

This is just wrong!

My device (192.168.1.111), will never connect, unless I use: "192.168.1.111:8888".

For me it seems, his device listens on port 80, but unfortunately, his answers are a little bit confusing.

He is not sure about the used port, he just "suspects"....sorry...

Traffic originating from a PC outwards will always return to the PC that sent it. Unsolicited inbound traffic needs to know where it is destined for hence the port number

As stated earlier it is possible that the port number is NOT required for internal traffic. It depends on the box.

Admittedly the port 8080 maybe wrong, but the OP has been adamant of that port number since the conversation started so why would it not be correct.

There should be a way of configuring the IP address of the box, (what would happen if your LAN was 192,168.0.x or 10.x.y.z? Where this is set up I would normally expect that to contain the port number setting.

if not somewhere in the manual there must be some indication of what port to use along with the description of how the commands work.

As the system was working until the modem was changed the suspect has to be a modem setting, or a conflict betwen the port configuration and the modem.

I am afraid I am running out of ideas.

For me it seems, his device listens on port 80, but unfortunately, his answers are a little bit "confusing".

He is not sure about the used port, he just "suspects"....sorry...I am out

Took a while to figure out i am confused !.......... your absolutely right :).........

(p.s. have tried port 80, port 8080 , no port, with myURL, with myWanIP........ and any combination there of......... if some one was tracing my activity, i would almost be seen as a hacker as i have tried every combination i can think of )

This is just wrong!

For me it seems, his device listens on port 80, but unfortunately, his answers are a little bit confusing.

He is not sure about the used port, he just "suspects"....sorry...

Traffic originating from a PC outwards will always return to the PC that sent it. Unsolicited inbound traffic needs to know where it is destined for hence the port number

As stated earlier it is possible that the port number is NOT required for internal traffic. It depends on the box.

Admittedly the port 8080 maybe wrong, but the OP has been adamant of that port number since the conversation started so why would it not be correct.

There should be a way of configuring the IP address of the box, (what would happen if your LAN was 192,168.0.x or 10.x.y.z? Where this is set up I would normally expect that to contain the port number setting.

if not somewhere in the manual there must be some indication of what port to use along with the description of how the commands work.

As the system was working until the modem was changed the suspect has to be a modem setting, or a conflict betwen the port configuration and the modem.

I am afraid I am running out of ideas.

I very very much appreciate all your advice........ i have already the internal part running...... thats already 70% of what i wanted......

have learnt alot about port forwarding which was gobbeldy goop before this...... so still a win !

last try:

This definitely means, the web server on his device/network switch, runs on port 80!!!!!

I don't know where the 8080 cr*p comes from.

So he needs to portforward port 80 to his device. period.

last try:

This definitely means, the web server on his device/network switch, runs on port 80!!!!!

-was in the URL i have been using for 4 years.......... as per the below........... My logic is (right or wrong) is that if it worked for 4 years, and i changed the modem ( old one died), then the problem is in the modem, not the URL and the web box controller

h ttp:// (deleted URL).dyndns.org:8080/PPG=CCB=BBX=3LLG=2 (original URL)

Just tried (external/internal) 8080/80 80/80 80/8080 8080/8080 ./. non worked.

Thank for your kind help anyway.,

Edited by skippybangkok

last try:

This is just plain wrong,

One last suggestion, if Skippy has been testing from inside his own network, some routers do not like receiving data for their wan address from inside their LAN. Try from another PC on another network.

As you are not using a prt address when using a local command, it is quite possible the port you select does not matter, as long as that port is forwarded to your IP address in the router