Amway

cornishcarlos

Another issue with Amway is that the upline doesn't care about saturating distributors in a particular area - most companies grant some form of exclusivity to an area (not 7-11 btw but that is another story) re sales so that the sales rep can work over their area unemcumbered by competition with the same products. With Amway it's about signing up absolutely anybody and everybody with no quality considerations whilst most will drop by the wayside they will buy nearly all their products from Amway whilst they are giving it a go which delivers profits for their upline. Yes capatlism it most certainly is and a very clever and hugely profitable business model for those at the top as they effectively have a free messianically motivated sales force working their butts off selling overpriced second rate products to their (often soon to be ex) friends and neighbours. All so they can live a dream of big houses,cars ,boats and 'exotic' holidays. If given a choice I would choose Dhammakaya over Amway and that's saying something

Here's a list of very succesfull Amway distributors and 'inedpenent buisness owners' who having got to the higher levels of the organisation saw it for what it is and quit.

http://www.amquix.info/amway_exdiamonds.html

The 99% Factor

A key aspect of the suit is the charge that Amway misleads consumers with false income claims and promises for its “business opportunity.” Pyramid Scheme Alert’s analysis of Amway payouts
to distributors shows that more than 99% of all who sign up never earn a profit. When actual costs are factored, including the related “tools” business, some estimates put the loss rates at 99.9%. This 99% loss figure correlates with tax data gathered as early as the 1980s when the state of Wisconsin prosecuted Amway. It was also verified by data gained
by federal regulators in England who sued to shut down Amway in that country just several years ago.

http://pyramidschemealert.org/analysis-amway-accused-of-fraud-pays-150-million-wheres-the-ftc-and-doj/

Edited by beautifulthailand99

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been exposed to Amway ever since 1960: liquid shoe polish that cracked our shoe leather, fire extinguishers that induced flare-up, other marginal products that were overpriced by two and three times. I saw friends become enemies when you didn't buy into their products or program. I saw husbands encouraged to leave wives who were "pouring cold water" on their dreams. I even went to the "holy land" of Amway (Ada, Michigan, the Amway world headquarters) while doing graduate study nearby.

It's a very cleverly-crafted business cult that preys on gullible foot-soldiers and customers who are too lazy to do their due diligence. Yes, they originally marketed it as a Christian company with heavy doses of religion at their weekend seminars and retreats. That helped to suck in the evangelicals--a huge customer base in the USA. But as America became more secular, and the company internationalized, they dropped that marketing angle.

As a favor to a Thai friend, I went to a "success seminar" with him in Khon Kaen. Of course, he wouldn't give me the company name. Of course, it turned out to be Amway--all the same evangelistic hype and parade of success stories (including the rags-to-riches, and tragedies-to-triumph testimonials) I heard back in the USA. Here, in Thailand, they parade out government officers, army generals and university professors to give the company credence. Commoner Thais are awed by it. Don't be fooled, it's big business here:

After 50 years, I can spot an Amway salesman 50 meters away. They start with, "Mr./Mrs.__________, what are your dreams?" Then they lay out this marvellous program which will allow you to accomplish your dreams. If you've got a sick grandma who needs more expensive medicine, they'll jump on that dream. If you want a university education, they'll jump on that one. As all clever sales people, they hit you where you're the most vulnerable.

Unfortunately, by now, I know more disillusioned ex-Amway salespeople than I know current successful ones. A lot more are cast by the wayside, than those who rise to the top. Yup, kinda like that Egyptian structure referred to earlier.

What are my dreams? Only one: not to get involved with this nightmare.

I'm moved by the video - just confirms me that if Amway could hook up with Dhammakaya then Thailand would be their's ....spot the difference !

http://youtu.be/81NZZ1prg-Q

I love most things about LOS..

Like most people, there are certain things that frustrate me but overall I'm happy to live here..

However, why can't they ban Amway ??

Or just ban relatives of the wife from being involved with it... We had over an hours sales pitch for a water filter that we already told them we did not want or need !! 30,000 baht for something to treat our rain water which we drink

Anyone else have trouble kicking annoying relatives out the house ? My dog loves it though as I tend to take him on longer walks when this happens..

Don't sell that water filter short - it is quite good!

Are you having relations with this Amway chick?

No as a matter of fact, she is a good friend. You know men can have women as friends only. You should try it some time

No as a matter of fact, she is a good friend. You know men can have women as friends only. You should try it some time

It's very noble that you defend and support her and I have no reason to criticise her life choices. I spent 3 months in Amway and did a lot of soul searching and research on the way out. What I will say it did for me was promote a more positive go get em approach to life and that you own your problems and their solutions. Good lessons for life in general but better without the need to flog stuff to others and a never rest as there is business opportunity in every interaction which is the core of their offer. There is always a better way than Amway and one that leaves your friends, family and karma intact is a better path to follow..

We add an amway water filter. It costed 30K. It was a gift from the parents of my wife. The maintenance costs were so high we sold it. I think it was actually a good filter but it was much too expensive. We sold it for 10K and gave the money to the parents of wife. I will never buy an amway product.

We bought a new filter online for 2700B. The maintenance cost is less than 1000B per year, but I've to admit the build quality is less good than the 30K amway filter and it's more difficult to replace the filter.

Edited by kriswillems

It's very noble that you defend and support her and I have no reason to criticise her life choices. I spent 3 months in Amway and did a lot of soul searching and research on the way out. What I will say it did for me was promote a more positive go get em approach to life and that you own your problems and their solutions. Good lessons for life in general but better without the need to flog stuff to others and a never rest as there is business opportunity in every interaction which is the core of their offer. There is always a better way than Amway and one that leaves your friends, family and karma intact is a better path to follow..

It is refreshing to read your reasonable and rational comments ...

Edited by JDGRUEN
  • Like 1