Tourist Visa Extension For Group Of 10 In Pattaya

I have a group of 10 friends (from Western Europe) who are currently staying in Thailand on a Tourist Visa. Their return flight requires them to stay 15 days longer than their 60 day stay permit allows.

Originally they planned to go for a border run to Cambodia, but I advised them they should rather get a 30 day extension at the immigration office. During the last two weeks of their initial 60 days they will stay in Pattaya. Before that they will be in Chiang Rai.

I am quite familiar with the process of applying for an extension from personal experience (mostly in Bangkok), but I have never done it in Pattaya.

I am also not sure if all ten of them will have to go to apply for the extension themselves or if the process could be streamlined.

So does anybody know...

1. whether the immigration office in Pattaya handles tourist visa extensions similarly efficient as in Bangkok? In Bangkok it took me between 1hr and 1,5hrs (travel time excluded) to obtain an extension. How long does it take in Pattaya (approx.)
  2. should they rather try to extend at the Chiang Rai immigration office (viewer tourists?, less busy?, more friendly?)
  3. whether it is possible to apply 15 days before the end of the 60 day stay in Chiang Rai
  4. in Pattaya or Chiang Rai, is it possible to streamline the process for a travel group of 10 persons.

Thanks to everybody for sharing their experience

thanks, LiteBeer.

Concerning Chiang Rai - do you think they will do the extension even 15 (or more) days before the end of the 60 days?

To everybody:

Any other comments on Pattaya immigration?

thanks mario. I think I rather send them to the Pattaya immigration office since nobody says anything horrible about it. The location of the Chiang Rai immigration office seems a bit off the grid ;)