Calling All Englishmen!

OldeBellPedr

OK, so you'd forgotten! but it is and why not celebrate it? We at The Olde Bell celebrate all the Patron Saints Days of the British Isles and St. George's Day is no exception. We've go an evening of English music from artists as varied as Lindisfarne, Chas 'n Dave, sir Edward Elgar, Dame Vera Lynn and many more. to go with your entertainment we offer our menu of Great British Dishes. As Specials tonight we've got:

Roast Beef Dinner served with Roast Potatoes, Yorkshire Puddings, Onion Mash, Seasonal Veg and Gravy

Chicken Tikka Masala served with Pilau rice

Fish ‘n Chips served with garden peas

Buy any one of these dishes and we’ll give you pint of Chang, a large bottle of Cheers, Leo or Archa or a glass of house wine FREE!

There’ll also be a free prize draw. A ticket for every meal or drink you buy. The prize is your evening free! The bill of the winning ticket up to the time of the draw (10pm) will be cancelled!

Why stop at the British Isles, actually?

Wednesday is ANZAC day, Friday is South African Freedom Day, Monday is Queens Day (Netherlands), then Tuesday it's Communist Day, then Cinco de Mayo (also Thai Coronation Day), and so on. ;)

I'm all for equal-opportunity piss-ups. ;)

Its another excuse for a p-ss up.

St Georges Day doesnt exist in England sadly, it never did, and you would be hard pushed to find any person who actually knows the date.

It will not even get a mention on the news for sure.

Only St Pats day is recognised and again only becasue of the alcohol involved.

Traditions in England dont really run any more. Fish and chips has long since died (after the Govt dessicated the fishing fleets 35yr ago) and the national dish for the last 15yrs has surprisingly been chicken tikka masala.

Well hats off to you sir, obvously not a native Englishman trying to do your bit to shame us Limeys.

St Georges Day doesnt exist in England sadly, it never did, and you would be hard pushed to find any person who actually knows the date.

Traditions in England dont really run any more. Fish and chips has long since died (after the Govt dessicated the fishing fleets 35yr ago) and the national dish for the last 15yrs has surprisingly been chicken tikka masala.

Well hats off to you sir, obvously not a native Englishman trying to do your bit to shame us Limeys.

Well I partially disagree with you, Eyecatcher. Fish n Chips remains popular to this day and is still one of our best sellers....as is Chicken Tikka Masala which we have a particularly fine example of.

Also its not only St. Pat's Day that remains popular in UK. As a Welshman -so as you rightly say, not a native Englishman, St David's Day is a big day, as is St. Andrew's Day. Today has been very successful.... but, as you say, few Englishmen were around and the ones that were in the pub, were surprised to be greeted with 'Happy St. George's Day'. Nevertheless, the assembled Anglo-Celts, Anglo-Australians, Anglo-Americans, Swedes, French and yes, Chinese that came along, had a great evening!!! Time for you English to reclaim the day?

Guess you have been in Thailand too long,Totally out of touch Post of the week.

It's not really celebrated because the English don't feel the need, or have been silently discouraged, from waving the flag - which is a red cross, the bit in the middle of the union flag, for uninformed North Americans. Guilt of past transgressions/greatness aside, there's an unwarranted fear of upsetting others in the so-called United Kingdom and thus the obligatory putting up with all their whining.

Anyway, op is clearly taking the Michael... Lindisfarne and Chas 'n Dave indeed.

Saint George is also the patron Saint of these countries and was not even English. He was a Roman.

He is patron saint not only of England but also of Aragon, Catalonia, Georgia, Lithuania, Palestine, Portugal, Germany and Greece; and of Moscow, Istanbul, Genoa and Venice (second to Saint Mark). He's also patron saint of soldiers, archers, cavalry and chivalry, farmers and field workers, riders and saddlers, and he helps those suffering from leprosy, plague and syphilis. In recent years he has been adopted as patron saint of Scouts.

Looks like we can all celebrate St Georges day!

Guess you have been in Thailand too long,Totally out of touch Post of the week.

Forgive me sir but which part of your flippant conclusion are you referring in my post?

Let me know next St Georges Day so I am up to speed.;

Yesterdays news, in todays fish and chip paper..(oh thats gone aswell now)

Aight... 24 April.. What's the theme for Tuesday night?

Let's see... Armenian Genocide Remembrance Day .. ?

I thought about that Winnie, but decided it was a bit too macabre - and of course anti Turkish as the Turks say the whole genocide thing was exaggerated. no, today is the feast of St. Ecgberht of Ripon and if you happen to know where he is buried, you should take part in The Olde Bell Quiz tonight as that will be one of the questions (you could look up the information in the same Wikipedia article that gave you the Armenian Genocide date!!)

The quiz starts at 8.30pm and consists of a picture round and two rounds of 20 general knowledge questions. FREE entry, all welcome!

Chiken Tikka Masala....how <deleted> British

you are aware that its racist to be promoting an event that flys the cross of Saint George and promotes white supremacy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLph6ePNkGQ&ob=av2e

We played the song several times last night- it's become and English anthem in the same genre as Three Lions!! love the video BTW!! I'd never seen that before.

History sugests that the Welsh are infact the true decendents of the Englishman as they were not Normanised or mixed with any other marauding Europeans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No it doesn't. Unless you think that the Saxons were English. And before them, the Angles, and the the Breton, Celts, Picts, etc. No one really knows who the first "British" were, the UK being settled around 35,000 years ago - because pre-history was not recorded beyond a few standing stones and some art work on walls and found in the ground. All the othrs were invaders (including in Wales - Bretons for the main I guess, with a dash of Celts - Scottish - Scotti were an Irish invader who, along with the Viking raiders, saw an end to the Picts, who themselves were invaders too). Britain was a centre for trade in pre-history times (there was a land bridge to mainland Europe early on (Doggerland) about 8000 years ago, and stayed such until modern times - therefore, no one race can be creditted viably with being British. And for the wite supremisists out there, Britain was governed by a black man (African from Cathage) form many years during the most peaceful part of the Roman occupation.

And I challenge anyone to show the original inhabitants of any European or American country - only Africa and parts of Asia have maintained static peoples - and all of those were invaded, occupied and were subject to immigration influx.

Edited by wolf5370

For those wondering about the Curry dish...

http://en.wikipedia....en_tikka_masala

read this

and the best curries from from Glasgow

Rubbish the best Indian curries are from Brick Lane in East London.

Oh no they're not!! Yorkshire is the place, been back in Huddersfield for 6 weeks and had numerous curries, the only thing I'm enjoying.

Take a trip to Brick Lane http://www.visitbricklane.org/#/brick-lane-info/4537675957 and compare (some British curries were invented there so they will tell you - but I guess they tell you that every where!). Tikka massala was invented in the UK, but some say in Glasgow, others in the Midlands, yet others in London. Also around Slough too (not far from Heathrow) - one of Britains largest Indian communities (about 40% of the adult population of the area around Southall).

Best curry and chips I ever had in Yorkshire though - and no skimping on those fries either - yum! (can't stomach the scrags though!)

• Like 1

Yorkshire, Brick Lane, the 'Balti Triangle' in Birmingham, Southall, Glasgow - all have wonderful curries and we've even got a few mean curry houses in Cardiff!, but wherever your taste for great curry began, you should try ours at The Olde Bell - made by a Yorkshireman who was taught by Indians, they are the business! A good quality chicken Tikka Masala is as essential to most Brits as Fish 'n Chips or Roast Beef nowadays and ours at The Bell are the best in Thailand and, dare I say it, up to the standards set in the UK's 'Curry Capitals'

Yorkshire, Brick Lane, the 'Balti Triangle' in Birmingham, Southall, Glasgow - all have wonderful curries and we've even got a few mean curry houses in Cardiff!, but wherever your taste for great curry began, you should try ours at The Olde Bell - made by a Yorkshireman who was taught by Indians, they are the business! A good quality chicken Tikka Masala is as essential to most Brits as Fish 'n Chips or Roast Beef nowadays and ours at The Bell are the best in Thailand and, dare I say it, up to the standards set in the UK's 'Curry Capitals'

Talking of Cardiff I had some of the best "Indian" food in the UK at a restaurant just set back from the waterfront, in a place called Moksh, highly recommended.

This thread started with a celebration St George fighting a dragon on his charger in the rolling green hills of England...

....and we seemed to have ended up in the khyber pass discussing curries.

how threads inadvertantly digress. brilliant...........NEXT!!

anyone want to challenge the fact that the best Yorkshire puddings are from Yorkshire?