Alternatives To Thailand?

jamman

Bali is a Muslim country? First, Bali is not a country, and second, it is primarily Hindu. Figures I have seen are that it has less than 5% Muslim population, with more than 90% following Balinese Hindu tranditions. You might want to re-check your other research facts before moving to Thailand just in case.

Bali is in a Muslim country and surrounded by Muslims.It is a target for Muslims. :o

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really enjoyed Chile and Peru and both on the cheap, but like everyone else has been saying, it's all in your taste.

Oh, I adore South American women; Peru, Columbia, Guadalajara. They are fabulous creatures.

But then I've never had the opportunity to date Asian women.

Except that I married an Asian from Kazakhstan. She was very aggressive, but that was just her personality.

I love this thread.

After hearing all the advice, I might want to marry a Philippino, live in Thailand, and vacation in Bali. :o

After hearing all the advice, I might want to marry a Philippino, live in Thailand, and vacation in Bali.

Bret has got it exactly right - the best of everything.

Filipino women, ahhhh, but nowhere in the PI is anywhere I'd want to live.

I don't even want to visit there again.

Having lived in Thailand, yes, in certain areas the living is superb for a white man with a bit of money to spend.

Must disagree heartily with the poster who said the food in the Philippines is the same as Thailand. For the most part it is horrible-mostly very bland, composed of offal or worse, fried in oil, just ugh. Sanitary conditions of restaurants/stalls much worse than Thailand too. And don't get me started about the rice. Too late-Thais wouldn't feed their dogs the rice they eat in the Philippines (seriously), and the way it is served it often has the consistency of mashed potatoes. I am sorry if I am offending any Filipino readers. You couldn't ask for nicer people-but the food-sorry! There are other reasons I much prefer Thailand over the Philippines, but if the food is no good what else matters? OK-Adobe is pretty good, and Bacolod chicken...

How about Cebu having the most charming girls in the Philippines, the best educated in that country, the food much better than in all other parts of that country. Some of these charming beauties :o know how to cook Thai food. Try, find out.

How about Cebu having the most charming girls in the Philippines, the best educated in that country, the food much better than in all other parts of that country. Some of these charming beauties :o  know how to cook Thai food. Try, find out.

Do you really think Cebu women are better than Thai women.

I have been thinking of taking a trip there with the Cherry Blossoms group

to meet a cross section of women.

I've known them for years and they seem to be very reliable.

Are you aware of a good thread or forum board for the Cebu area.

Note of caution: There was a foxy girl named Linda from Cebu who was scamming guys on the Internet for Visa money, etc. My buddy almost got

taken for $5,000 until I explained the facts of life and put him in touch with Mike

at Cherry Blossoms.

Check out baexpats.com for info on Buenos Aires.

Just got back from there, it is an amazing city.

It is not unsafe, though petty crime is on the rise.

There is a retirement visa option based on pensions and there are some other angles. Some people just make visa runs every three months and stay as a tourist for years. Unlike Thailand, they will not throw you in jail for overstays!!!

The food is amazing and an incredible bargain if and only if you like beef (really is the best in the world), wine, pizza, pastas, sweets, and Italian ice cream. Nothing much for 15 baht though.

Other than those things, there are very slim pickings. This is the most common complaint of expats, they tire of the world class steaks, pastas, and wines, the poor dear darlings. Asian food is dreadful except maybe Japanese. Argies are spice and pepper PHOBIC. The typical table has salt on it but NO PEPPER. Nuff said.

It is necessary to learn Spanish, thankfully not so hard to do.

Real estate in BA to buy is in my opinion not that different a level than Bangkok and also in my opinion rentals are a bit higher, though as in Thailand, getting a local's deal is a struggle.

Edited by Thaiquila

How about Cebu having the most charming girls in the Philippines, the best educated in that country, the food much better than in all other parts of that country. Some of these charming beauties :o  know how to cook Thai food. Try, find out.

Do you really think Cebu women are better than Thai women.

I have been thinking of taking a trip there with the Cherry Blossoms group

to meet a cross section of women.

I've known them for years and they seem to be very reliable.

Are you aware of a good thread or forum board for the Cebu area.

Note of caution: There was a foxy girl named Linda from Cebu who was scamming guys on the Internet for Visa money, etc. My buddy almost got

taken for $5,000 until I explained the facts of life and put him in touch with Mike

at Cherry Blossoms.

What is Chery Blossoms ?

What is Chery Blossoms ?

http://101date.com/dating_services/cherryblossoms.html

or: www.blossoms.com

They are a dating service out of Hawaii and have been around since 1974.

Maybe you know other good ones out there.

Never used any of them. Spending money for downgraded replacements turning up at the arranged meetings ? My sister is gone abroad etc, etc

Just sit around in the the beautiful restaurants and cafes and visit upscale department stores in Cebu and meet the real Cebuana beauties.

Never used any of them. Spending money for downgraded replacements turning up at the arranged meetings ? My sister is gone abroad etc, etc

Just sit around in the the beautiful restaurants and cafes and visit upscale department stores in Cebu and meet the real Cebuana beauties.

I'm hoping it's that easy when I get to Cebu.

It's always nice to meet LBFMs.

But I've had Internet relationships that have outlasted gf's and marriages.

It gives me a chance to know a person without the distraction of physical

contact. And it's given me a chance to meet introverted, highly intelligent, and successful women that I wouldn't meet in a mall.

I've met some dear friends out there in cyberspace.

If you are single, Cebu is awesome. Easy to meet girls, and Blossoms.com is also a fairly good way. I met quite a few from Blossoms.com while I was there. Most are honest and looking for a LT relationship. Some are just scams. But easy to meet girls just walking around, especially in the big malls. At the night clubs, most are pros, just like in Thailand.

BUT...I did not like Cebu City at all. I was amazed at the heavy security everywhere...with all guards carrying shotguns or heavy firearms. Crazy. And horrible air pollution in the streets. Try Dumaguette (sp?). Nice college town, but not much to do there.

If you are single, Cebu is awesome. Easy to meet girls, and Blossoms.com is also a fairly good way. I met quite a few from Blossoms.com while I was there. Most are honest and looking for a LT relationship. Some are just scams. But easy to meet girls just walking around, especially in the big malls. At the night clubs, most are pros, just like in Thailand.

BUT...I did not like Cebu City at all. I was amazed at the heavy security everywhere...with all guards carrying shotguns or heavy firearms. Crazy. And horrible air pollution in the streets. Try Dumaguette (sp?). Nice college town, but not much to do there.

Nice colleges and beauties there in Dumag.

The downside of Cebu and especially Mandaue is the security, do not walk around alone after 10 pm. The northeast cost has many beautiful beach resorts for 2-3 day visits with mall beauties

I am a argie and i have lived in Buenos Aires all my life , i really fell confotable living here. There are a lot of places / bar and pubs to go out at night and 'La Noche Porteña' is really wonderfull .

Regarding if B.A is a safety city , to say the true i have never had a problem so far but of course there are robbery as there are in all city around the world.

However if you came to Argentina you shoud visit not only Buenos Aires , You should go to Patagonia :Calafate (Perito Moreno ) /Bariloche / San Martin de Los Andes / USuahia .. And the North of Argentina is also wonderfull to see different landscapes .

IMO ,i think that you don't need to speak spanish because argentinian people don't speak good english but they make the effort to try to speak english .

I am a argie and i have lived in Buenos Aires all my life , i really fell confotable living here. There are a lot of places / bar and pubs to go out at night and 'La Noche Porteña' is really wonderfull .

Regarding if B.A is a safety city , to say the true i have never had a problem so far but of course there are robbery as there are in all city around the world.

However if you came to Argentina you shoud visit not only Buenos Aires , You should go to Patagonia :Calafate (Perito Moreno ) /Bariloche / San Martin de Los Andes / USuahia .. And the North of Argentina is also wonderfull to see different landscapes .

IMO ,i think that you don't need to speak spanish because argentinian people don't speak good english but they make the effort to try to speak english .

Muchos gracias, Mariana ...

You come from a wonderful city and I am sure there are lots of places to visit in your vast country.

However, I do disagree with you about the Spanish language question.

It was my very strong impression that socially, without basic Spanish, you would not get very far at all there, and even worse, you really have to learn the peculiar slang of the region as well.

I have travelled all over the world and found Buenos Aires one of the most difficult without some basics of the language (happily I had some basics), and also compared to other Spanish speaking countries like Mexico, more difficult.

People will assume you speak Spanish, if you don't or you speak poorly, every day is a drama just getting basic services.

It is also worth mentioning that the degree of anti USA feeling in Argentina is very high and the press there is filled with anti USA bias. USA- Latin American relations are at a low point and probably going to get worse before they get better. However, I do feel that Argentianians are a warm people and would generally judge people as individuals.

Edited by Thaiquila

I'm about to move to Bali, but am wondering if there isn't a better option.

I hear that Prague is a relatively inexpensive city. Buenos Aires is said to now be one of the least expensive. I've heard people on this forum say good things about Goa and other places in India.

What places can readers recommend to live in? I make my money on the internet now, in U.S. dollars, and cost of living is an important factor, but so is culture and lifestyle. Asia has been great in that it is so easy to date, but I don't feel I fit in enough to be socially happy, generally.

:o

This is totally off-the-wall, but I was just looking last night at the Malaysia My Second Home program sites on the net. I have been looking for places to retire to in 3 to 4 years from now. I suggest you look at the MMSH info. Not that I'm reccomending it, but roughly equivalent to retirement in Thailand.

For my personal choice, IF I WAS to retire in Malaysia (big IF), I would go for Penang.

Places like Belize...Ambergris Caye, would be an option for me. Belize used to be British Honduras and has a British legal system. Tax breaks, passports, long term visas are easily available for investors...It has beautiful islands, beaches and amazing wildlife. For more modern conveniences one can fly to Mexico, Miami, Dallas...which are abot 4 hrs away by plane. Cable tv, internet, cheap housing, good food are all positive aspects as well. Although after Thailand, one would have to get used to no 7-11s', skytrains, Supermalls etc....

Another viable option would be Brazil. An amazing place with a variety of facets and people. The good thing about Brazil, is that anyone can look Brazilian. There is no"Farang factor". The women are some of the most beautiful in the world.

India is not an option IMO. Some great times to be had in India, it is truly a lifetime experience but to live there long term is very demanding for a foreigner. It is also too male dominated and very hectic.

Thailand was and still is for many a fantastic place to live in. When you evaluate the pro's and con's, the positive definetely outweighs the negative. Having said that, on a personalnote,after 11 yrs living here, I am closer to leaving then ever before and am seriously considering other destinations. Thailand has changed immensely, mostly for the best and life has become smoother in many ways, but the novelty has long faded away!

I know a lot of Thailand "old hands" have left for places like Cambodia, S.america, and the Philippines. I don't think that is for everybody( apart from S.America). Philippines is absolutely dreadful and Cambodia , although in full evolution is not very appealing either. My 3 choices for the moment would be;

1. Brazil

2. Belize

3. Costa Rica

How about Cambodia? Actually I think in the future, say 30 years from now Cambodia will be what Thailand is now in economic terms. The main reason why so many foreigners come to Thailand is the low cost of living and well developed infrustructure. I don't think Thailand can keep the prices low for 30 more years. I see Cambodia as the future because Thailand will be too expensive in 30 years maybe even Laos also.

It is also worth mentioning that the degree of anti USA feeling in Argentina is very high and the press there is filled with anti USA bias. USA- Latin American relations are at a low point and probably going to get worse before they get better. However, I do feel that Argentianians are a warm people and would generally judge people as individuals.

Really ? The anti USA felling is very hight in Argentina. IMO , it is very hight in S.America all, but it doesn't have to do with AMERICAN people , we don't hate to american people. It have to do with say NO to the ALCA because it will bring too much unemployed , much poverty and there is too much of it in LatinAmerica.

According to my British friend who has been living and studing at the University here for 3 years , she say that the cost of living is cheap here .

Brasil is definitely the top of my choice for living. After spending 7 years in Sao Paulo as a teen, I manage to go back to Brasil a few times a year. My brother never left Brasil even after my family went back to Danmark, and he decided to stay on. I just cannot resist the temptation of this beautiful country(and women and food too). I actually miss Brasil more than Danmark and I would say I prefer Brasil about 10 times over Thailand in overall living aspects.

But I would not live in these mega cities like Sao Paulo ot Rio, there are many other beautiful and safe and inexpensive cities on the coast.

My top 2 picks are:

(1)Florianopolis(Floripa)

(2)Fortaleza

Really ? The anti USA felling is very hight in Argentina. IMO , it is very hight in S.America all, but it doesn't have to do with AMERICAN people , we don't hate to american people. It have to do with say NO to the ALCA because it will bring too much unemployed , much poverty and there is too much of it in LatinAmerica.

According to my British friend who has been living and studing at the University here for 3 years , she say that the cost of living is cheap here .

Claro que si ...

Yes, anti USA feeling is high all over South America for many reasons, some historical, some economic, and some clearly specific to anti george bush sentiment.

However, the level and intensity of feeling really might be disturbing to a lot of Americans not prepared for it. I wouldn't recommend your country to a pro bush American (not a problem I have).

I was in BA when bush recently visited, and as you well know, the entire city looked like an anti bush theme park, with posters portraying bush as a nazi all over.

And, yes, you are correct, for people bringing in dollars, pounds, or euros, they are going to find the prices attractive.

Edited by Thaiquila

Claro que si ...

Yes, anti USA feeling is high all over South America for many reasons, some historical, some economic, and some clearly specific to anti george bush sentiment.

However, the level and intensity of feeling really might be disturbing to a lot of Americans not prepared for it. I wouldn't recommend your country to a pro bush American (not a problem I have).

I was in BA when bush recently visited, and as you well know, the entire city looked like an anti bush theme park, with posters portraying bush as a nazi all over.

And, yes, you are correct, for people bringing in dollars, pounds, or euros, they are going to find the prices attractive.

I always like to be open minded when I visit a country and just accept people as they are, if you respect people they will usually respect you.

Regarding Bush , I don't know but who likes Bush ?

How about Cambodia? Actually I think in the future, say 30 years from now Cambodia will be what Thailand is now in economic terms. The main reason why so many foreigners come to Thailand is the low cost of living and well developed infrustructure. I don't think Thailand can keep the prices low for 30 more years. I see Cambodia as the future because Thailand will be too expensive in 30 years maybe even Laos also.

Anybody here who actually lives in Cambodia and knows the rules about owning/building a beautiful tropical villa with BIG verandas.... :o

I'm really curious.

LaoPo

Brasil is definitely the top of my choice for living. After spending 7 years in Sao Paulo as a teen, I manage to go back to Brasil a few times a year. My brother never left Brasil even after my family went back to Danmark, and he decided to stay on. I just cannot resist the temptation of this beautiful country(and women and food too). I actually miss Brasil more than Danmark and I would say I prefer Brasil about 10 times over Thailand in overall living aspects.

But I would not live in these mega cities like Sao Paulo ot Rio, there are many other beautiful and safe and inexpensive cities on the coast.

My top 2 picks are:

(1)Florianopolis(Floripa)

(2)Fortaleza

Do you have some more info on Floripa? :D Fortaleza has a 'dubious' name in Europe...sex-tourists? Is that true?

LaoPo

Claro que si ...

I always like to be open minded when I visit a country and just accept people as they are, if you respect people they will usually respect you.

Mariana, you are correct, people won't have a problem with the Argentianians.

I was only saying a pro bush USAer would feel alienated by the mainstream politics there, and sad to say, mr bush was elected twice, one time by a majority vote!

Claro que si ...

I was only saying a pro bush USAer would feel alienated by the mainstream politics there, and sad to say, mr bush was elected twice, one time by a majority vote!

And such a shame that is, eh? :o

On topic: Brazil is the closest I've found as an equivalent to Thailand.

Claro que si ...

And such a shame that is, eh? :o

On topic: Brazil is the closest I've found as an equivalent to Thailand.

I agree Brazil shares some qualities with Thailand. However, if someone is looking for an alternative to Thailand, perhaps they are looking for something entirely different.

Also note, the financial requirements for retirement in Brazil are much higher than Thailand.