Biscuits And Gravy

Heng

Heng, you can take the Thai boy out of Texas, but then you can't take his biscuits and gravy away from the boy.

I first got to Texas at age 18, and couldn't understand a breakfast of biscuits&gravy, scrambled eggs, ham, sausage and buttered toast. "Howdy, just rustle me up a pound of cholesterol, muchas gracias."

I once met a Porsche mechanic from Chicago, on the road through the King Ranch in Texas. He kept muttering, "Crazy Texans! Eating beefsteak for breakfast!"

Both Sojoes near Suriwong Books and the Art Cafe at Thapae Gate in Chiang Mai have American biscuits and sausage gravy and both tasted pretty good to me.  :o

Thanks UG. Might just have to catch a flight up there to check it out.

:D

I first got to Texas at age 18, and couldn't understand a breakfast of biscuits&gravy, scrambled eggs, ham, sausage and buttered toast.  "Howdy, just rustle me up a pound of cholesterol, muchas gracias."

I once met a Porsche mechanic from Chicago, on the road through the King Ranch in Texas.  He kept muttering, "Crazy Texans!  Eating beefsteak for breakfast!"

"I'm pretty sure the license people are gonna need to see a birth certificate. Otherwise you'd have a bunch of Oklahomans trying to get Native Texan license plates. " -King of the Hill

:o

hehe .. naughty u

by the way , i heard that it has "biscuit" at pop eyes (fried chicken) - (no mpre pop eyes in TH methinks)

and also the MBK ( name holywood somethings) read from TH site

did u check soi Convant yet? i saw it has a small farang bekery in front of starbuck .. u might found there

Edited by BambinA

Sorry I'm a Brit.

Can someone explain biscuits and gravy please

Hard to explain to a non-American.

Something like a sour-dough roll with a light, fluffy, crumbly texture, but much better than they sound.

I don't eat them with gravy, but rather hot, dripping with butter or strawberry jam.

They are every bit as tasty and addictive as good French croisants, once you get a taste for them. :D

The ones in Chiang Mai are better than nothing, but KFC and Popeye's biscuits were much better. :o

They just look like 'fruitless' scones to me.  I still don't get the 'gravy' side of the equation.  Is it like a meat gravy, ie savoury? or a sweet gravy?

As always when it's not something you are used to it sounds a bit weird!

sometime i see people love it , dip with the gravy in mashed potato (KFC)

when i went to HK, i found biscuit in KFC ..but its sweet stuff ..cover with caramel something..diff from biscuit i ate at KFC in TH)

for me, i love plain(or with jam /butter) ..(even its dry and stuck at my throat :D )

if i want biscuit , i 'll eat scone instead... (easier to find)

from the biscuit recipe.. seem its easy to bake also :o

They just look like 'fruitless' scones to me.  I still don't get the 'gravy' side of the equation.  Is it like a meat gravy, ie savoury? or a sweet gravy?

Scones are always sweet, right?

Biscuits taste good because of the slight sour taste of the bread and the unusual texture, together. The texture is simular to scones, but not the same and they are only sweet if you top them with something.

They are great with just butter - like a fantasic, hot roll with a slight sour-dough taste and a crumbly, flaky texture.

Really they are the opposite of scones.

Many people like them with (American) sausage gravy - a meat gravy - at breakfast time but it covers up the "sourness" as far I am concerned, however I do like them that way too.

In the US, if you eat strawberry shortcake, the cake is often really a biscuit and the sweet, tart, strawberries taste even better because of the slight sourness of the biscuits. That and the texture of the biscuits is just amazing. I'm afraid that that is the best that I can explain it. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

Biscuits taste good because of the slight sour taste of the bread and the texture, together. They are like the opposite of scones.

Many people like them with (American) sausage gravy, at breakfast time but it covers up the "sourness" as far I am concerned, however I do like them that way too.

In the US, if you eat strawberry shortcake, the cake is often really a biscuit and the sweet, tart, strawberries taste even better because of the slight sourness of the biscuits. That and the texture of the biscuits is just amazing. I'm afraid that that is the best that I can explain it. :D

I grew up in Texas and all this talk about biscuits and strawberry shortcake has me scrambling looking up recipes. :ohttp://www.texascooking.com/recipes1.htm and here http://www.virtualcities.com/ons/0rec/11biscut.htm

I make pretty good southern fried chicken followed up with chicken gravy spread over buttermilk biscuits. Don't think I can get buttermilk in Thailand though. :D

Edited by tywais

The Art Cafe in Chiang Mai on Thapae road has buttermilk, buttermilk pancakes, buttermilk biscuits.  :o

Sounds great! Thanks for the info. Guess the Brits on here are saying <deleted>. But what's with Yorkshire Pudding, reminds me of eating paste in grade school. :D However the English roast beef I had outside of London was some of the best ever.

Edited by tywais

Buttermilk is fantastic for giving things a sour dough taste, although you can also us it in sweet cakes for a nice contrast and texture.

My mother used to bake Irish soda bread to die for. It was perfect for all occasions, sweet or savoury. You could also toast it or fry it (a very irish thing to do) and add any topings you liked. How versatile is that?

Edited by suegha

From my experience biscuits in general and especially buttermilk biscuits are a lot lighter than scones. Scones, I believe, are also usually sweet; whereas biscuits aren't. They can be used with sweet jams or savories. It makes no difference. Wonderful with southern fried chicken. Good homemade buttermilk biscuits beat any you can buy.

You can make your own buttermilk, but the problem is finding the cream at a decent price. In the states you can buy powdered buttermilk next to the powdered milk. Might get someone to send you some. Comes in small packets too.

Beachbunny

sounds like a scone,

reminds me of when I was in Canada and had to ask what an english muffin was

I like scones, but with gravy?

I suppose us Brits have dumplings that we would eat with gravy or stew - must be the american copy. :o

I don't know if American dumplings are different from British dumplings, but breakfast biscuits, Southern style, are like an undersized hockey puck, toasted well enough to hold together, dry on the outside and soft dough in the middle. Dumplings, OTOH, are balls that are quite moist, and untoasted. Is my description clear enough? Also, I doubt that dumplings (used in stews or gravies) are sour (not that breakfast biscuits are very sour).Indeed, 'English muffins' in America are similar to biscuits in appearance, especially before they're toasted.

I always like English muffins crisply toasted, then covered with margarine or butter that quickly melts. Yum! So, are they not English, after all?

Of course, 'biscuits' in the USA are for breakfast; they're not cookies.

Edited by PeaceBlondie

Biscuits are very similar to scones, yes. They are not at all sweet, and are much lighter in texture due to the relatively large (1 TBS) amount of baking powder used. They are extremely easy to make and very quick to bake, only 10 to 12 minutes. You can even make them a few at a time in a toaster-oven. I think I have even seen Bisquick in Thailand, a US buttermilk baking mix for biscuits, dumplings, coffeecakes, and pancakes. You only add milk to make biscuits, and while they are not as good as "scratch" they are worth eating.

Sausage gravy is a milk gravy made with pork sausage drippings and cooked pork sausage. Spicy sausage is better than mild sausage, and the gravy is usually seasoned with black pepper as well. The single most critical ingredient is the sausage, as it is the major flavor.

Milk gravy is a sauce made by cooking 2 TBS of flour in 2 TBS of pan drippings until the desired brownness is achieved -a roux. Sausage gravy is not very bown, so the roux should be golden tan or so. Then 1 to 2 cups of milk are added and mixed up well with the roux and simmered until thickened.

Add the cooked pork sausage to the gravy, and spoon it over split hot biscuits for a breakfast made in heaven.

• 1 month later...

Biscuits taste good because of the slight sour taste of the bread and the texture, together. They are like the opposite of scones.

Many people like them with (American) sausage gravy, at breakfast time but it covers up the "sourness" as far I am concerned, however I do like them that way too.

In the US, if you eat strawberry shortcake, the cake is often really a biscuit and the sweet, tart, strawberries taste even better because of the slight sourness of the biscuits. That and the texture of the biscuits is just amazing. I'm afraid that that is the best that I can explain it. :D

I grew up in Texas and all this talk about biscuits and strawberry shortcake has me scrambling looking up recipes. :ohttp://www.texascooking.com/recipes1.htm and here http://www.virtualcities.com/ons/0rec/11biscut.htm

I make pretty good southern fried chicken followed up with chicken gravy spread over buttermilk biscuits. Don't think I can get buttermilk in Thailand though. :D

I live in Texas also but can't seem to find buttermilk nor lard here in Thailandia for my biscuits and cornbread. I also have corn meal for the cornbread but had to have it sent from Mississippi fresh. Ya know what I mean jellybean? By the way where the heck are the chicken and dumplings or from S.Carolina chicken and pastry??? Are there any canned biscuits here? The little fat doughboy needs to get his ship together.

They just look like 'fruitless' scones to me. I still don't get the 'gravy' side of the equation. Is it like a meat gravy, ie savoury? or a sweet gravy?

Gravy ain't wavy. First of all comin from a tried and true southern boy from Mississippi.. raised on cornbread and crowder peas, biscuits and gravy and cornbread. First of all whenever you get through cookin that piece of pork or chicken or meat don't throw out that grease but pour some out and add a little thickener preferably some cornstarch and milk to it or some wheat flour and simmer slow even add some water if too thick with a little salt and pepper. The texture is simi-creamy and has some meat fragments left over in a real cast -iron fry pan but here in Thailand I have yet to find a cast iron pan for my bread nor fry pan.

• 2 months later...