Anzac Day Memorial Service

Ok, all of you man up.

Who tears up watching these ANZAC vids......every dam_n year.

jaapfries

It's proabaly fair to say it is "the" sacred day for Aussies and Kiwis and we work hard to keep it that way.

But to be fair and balanced, they way Anzac Veterans and Aussies generally get treated at certain places in Europe, Particualrly the little out of the way farmer towns is equally impressive.

• Like 2

Memorial to what?? A long past war of British aggression against Turkey. Australian and New Zealanders fighting for a foreign power in a foreign country far from their home. As a New Zealander I am ashamed by what we did

It's also remembrance for those killed in Australia and Asia. Are you ashamed of those defending Australia from the Japanese?

Lest we forget , and what about all the Aussie Service men who died an horrible and lingering death as POW's in Japanese prison camps , and the "railway of death" ! Edited by Colin Yai
  • Like 1

Memorial to what?? A long past war of British aggression against Turkey. Australian and New Zealanders fighting for a foreign power in a foreign country far from their home. As a New Zealander I am ashamed by what we did

ANZAC day is for the fallen, of all conflicts ANZAC troops have fought and died in. It should also be noted that Turks are welcome in the march.

And as Dawn is breaking.

LEST WE FORGET

ipad-art-wide-anzac-20day-420x0.jpg

What a beautiful and heart moving picture ,even for a POM like me .

Ok, all of you man up.

jaapfries

It's proabaly fair to say it is "the" sacred day for Aussies and Kiwis and we work hard to keep it that way.

But to be fair and balanced, they way Anzac Veterans and Aussies generally get treated at certain places in Europe, Particualrly the little out of the way farmer towns is equally impressive.

Quite true the UK is justly proud of our Aussie Allies on their "special day" ,.the debt owed to the fallen by all the Allied forces will never be repaid but will always be remembered .
  • Like 1

The day could have been made a little better if only I could have found the ANZAC Day NRL game somewhere live on tv. It was good to see Collingwood get up, but only saw highlights for the StGeorge/Roosters game.

Regardless, a great day for remembrance.

Lest we forget.

That is just a sick thing to say! Sickening!smile.png

Ok, all of you man up.

jaapfries

Quite true the UK is justly proud of our Aussie Allies on their "special day" ,.the debt owed to the fallen by all the Allied forces will never be repaid but will always be remembered .

"Hear Hear"

• 2 weeks later...

@madivad, I recall that we all had to be at Hellfire Pass at 5.15am and the service commenced at 5.30am as you say. In any case, if you go with the Australian-Thai Chamber (www.austchamthailand.com) they'll organise everything and you will definately be there on time- I was told to wake up at 4.30am and head for the bus around 4.45am.

As for the Kanchanaburi war graves cemetary service, it may have begun at 10 but I can't remember exactly as I last went 4 years ago. In any case everything is taken care of by the Chamber (in conjunction with the Kiwis).

Not sure about how to receive NRL games in Thailand (or SEA in general) since the Australia Network generally only shows Aussie Rules (I could be wrong, but I don't recall any NRL games ever being shown on the Australia Network). Local Aussie or expat pubs may have broadcast the game and will do so again next year i presume. I did catch some of the Anzac Day AFL game on the Australia Network and of course they also broadcast Anzac Day services in Gallipoli and France.

Not sure about how to receive NRL games in Thailand (or SEA in general) since the Australia Network generally only shows Aussie Rules (I could be wrong, but I don't recall any NRL games ever being shown on the Australia Network). Local Aussie or expat pubs may have broadcast the game and will do so again next year i presume. I did catch some of the Anzac Day AFL game on the Australia Network and of course they also broadcast Anzac Day services in Gallipoli and France.

Not the main topic but you can watch NRL on Setanta Sports (channel 107 True Visions gold package). They show all types of rugby football as well as Aussie rules, Gaelic football etc.

If you are ashamed of what u did then when did you do it. As far as i know England took 2/3 of the world and did a bloody good job. Allot of these countries that we have handed back or givem independance to have us Brits to thank for that. Now England has been left to piss and all other countries have prospered.

I would rarther be an Aussie than a Brit. i am sorry but OZ is just a better country. England is cramped and full and cold ! Thailand is the nuts. So what memerioal are we talking about. cause thanks to our ancestors we do have 1 thing and that is freedome to travel almost anywhere so thank my ancesters for fighting for that.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you equally ashamed of the British agression that got you what you consider your home land

It's also remembrance for those killed in Australia and Asia. Are you ashamed of those defending Australia from the Japanese?

Lest we forget , and what about all the Aussie Service men who died an horrible and lingering death as POW's in Japanese prison camps , and the "railway of death" !

i visited the cemetries at Kanchanaburi and Singapore and its a real choker to read the stories and look at the age's of those who died. The Singapore museum is definatly worth a visit.

Many New Zealanders faught and died for the freedom of others, sparing a few moments every year is the least we can do.

Are you equally ashamed of the British agression that got you what you consider your home land

sorry formy ignorance but what is Anzac. is it from World war 2 with the Bridge over the river Kwai?

answered my own question

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anzac_Day

yes i agree this should a memorial day

Edited by BigC

You need to check the history. The Ottoman Empire was aligned to Germany & therefore was an enemy of the allied forces. However ANZAC day is not about politics it is in memory of ANZ military members who have died and suffered in war; have some respect.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Link & Podcast of interest from the BBC this w/e:

There were 130,000 lives lost on the World War I battlefields of Gallipoli. Among them was Harry Biles, a writer and grandfather, who recorded the events of his final journey.

In early summer, the fields of Gallipoli are full of poppies. They enrich the national park which is dotted with Turkish, Commonwealth and French memorials to those who died fighting nearly a century ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-19207134

http://www.bbc.co.uk...player/b01lsqkb

(18 to 24 mins)

Edited by evadgib

• 2 weeks later...