Monthly Cost Of Living In Phuket

petercallen

Some people claim it costs the 90 to 100K a month to live here which i think

is way over the top for everyday living expenses

Every day living expenses are as far as i am concerned are food and drinks minor items for the house

fuel and maintanance for vehicles, utilities water, electricity, phone, Internet etc clothes, insurance policys

and eating out at restaurants

I do not include one of purchases like a car, motorbike, plasma TV or holidays and overseas flights

We own our own home so do not pay rent we spend approx 30K a month and live well on this amount of money

and have what we want

It would be interesting to know what other people genuinely spend each month

not posting rediculous amounts to impress people

Spell check is not working so if i have miss spelt anything bad luck

• Like 1

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter you are beating a dead horse. You have commented on this topic many times. Get over it. People will spend what they want or say what they want. Who cares what they say or spend? I certainty don't! Thank Buddha I have a life! wai.gif

Peter you are beating a dead horse. You have commented on this topic many times. Get over it. People will spend what they want or say what they want. Who cares what they say or spend? I certainty don't! Thank Buddha I have a life! wai.gif

I have seen the life you live and know you are happy with it

Peter, I did agree with you in that topic....

I'm with you on this one. Much the same as us. We have no rent to pay or children to support and I estimate we spend 30K/month on general costs and the other 20K/month to cover car/medical insurance plus other incidental expenses. On the other hand we don't go out to bars or clubs at night, that can easily add much more to the monthly expenses.

I would say our costs have gone up slightly. Fuel for car up a lot, groceries maybe up 4%.

I have seen the life you live and know you are happy with it

I think you are happy with your life as well. So really, it's not about what one spends, is it? I'm in California right now though and gas, wine and many things are a lot cheaper than Thailand. We may move here next year. There is a lot more to do here, plus I have a great job here...

Edited by Jimi007

Peter, I did agree with you in that topic....

I'm with you on this one. Much the same as us. We have no rent to pay or children to support and I estimate we spend 30K/month on general costs and the other 20K/month to cover car/medical insurance plus other incidental expenses. On the other hand we don't go out to bars or clubs at night, that can easily add much more to the monthly expenses.

I would say our costs have gone up slightly. Fuel for car up a lot, groceries maybe up 4%.

I fill the car up once a month and there is not much difference in the cost

Groceries may be up slightly but we have bought most other items we needed

for the house so our costs are down

I could live fine on 30-35K month if I was here year around.

Are you single and you don't have a life? smile.png

Why would you think that, basic wage in Thailand at 300 baht a day working 6 days a week

is just over $3000 anually and Thai people live on that amount, 35k a month is $13500 anually

which is more than some people

have to live on in some fully developed countries

Why would you think that, basic wage in Thailand at 300 baht a day working 6 days a week

is just over $3000 anually and Thai people live on that amount, 35k a month is $13500 anually

So, you are Thai now Peter? Come on! Get a clue! You must have an annual income of over 800,000 Baht to maintain your O-A visa, don't you?

>>I'm in California right now though and gas, wine and many things are a lot cheaper than Thailand.

I was in KL a few weeks back and besides adult beverages, I found KL to be quite a bit cheaper than Phuket, not that I would live there, but Phuket is not the bargain it was years ago.

>>I'm in California right now though and gas, wine and many things are a lot cheaper than Thailand.

I was in KL a few weeks back and besides adult beverages, I found KL to be quite a bit cheaper than Phuket, not that I would live there, but Phuket is not the bargain it was years ago.

Phuket is probably the most expensive place to live in Thailand

How does KL compare to Bangkok

1000bht per day doesn't sound enough for a family to live on, especially in Phuket. Unless all meals are at home, you rarely go out, don't drink or use your car. Don't mean to sound rude, but that sounds terribly boring.

I live up North in the sticks and even there I couldn't live on 30k. Two tanks of fuel a week is 3000baht. Electricity 2000bht, annual insurances approx 50,000bht, the list goes on.

1000bht per day doesn't sound enough for a family to live on, especially in Phuket. Unless all meals are at home, you rarely go out, don't drink or use your car. Don't mean to sound rude, but that sounds terribly boring.

I live up North in the sticks and even there I couldn't live on 30k. Two tanks of fuel a week is 3000baht. Electricity 2000bht, annual insurances approx 50,000bht, the list goes on.

I do not use a lot of fuel in Phuket everything is close about 1600 baht a month

if we do not have people visiting not 12000 baht a month, our electricity is the same

Not single and a life few are in a condition to get whatever they earn/spend plus a wife who earn a good salary after Thai standards.

recently started living on 60-80k per month.

I hate life here. Boring. You need 200-300k if you want some fun in phuket. Even then its boring fun. Terrible waterpark, overly expensive water sports, country clubs for the millionaires taking up all the golf courses. If you want a national park not plastered with thai families throwing trash everywhere(and most of us from the suburbs are used to be able to take a bike out and be in a large forest/park in 5mins. you have to go 2-3hrs away for any shopping you have to fly to bangkok if you want choice. If you want any music show, theater performance, circus cirque du soleil style or whatever else type of art that has been entertaining civilizations for the past thousands years then you have to fly home a couple times a month.

Edited by Hostile17

Can we get back onto the topic about how much it costs per month to live here on Phuket island. If you want to talk about visa requirements then goto the Visa Forum.

Any more off topic posts will be removed.

Thanks for your input there LIK!

Many of the Thais on minimum wage have accomodation and some meals provided, so the 300baht a day is almost all disposable income

If accomodation is paid, no kids, expensive health cover, golfing, foreign bar scene, then 30k is adequate but as far as living..its more exsisting and is comparable to be in a council flat in Tower Hamlets on social security

Many of the Thais on minimum wage have accomodation and some meals provided, so the 300baht a day is almost all disposable income

Given the wingeing by a large number of employers about the 300 baht hike, I suspect that quite a few of the 'benefits' could well be eroded.

"I give you sam roi a day, you now pay for noodles".

OR

"You want free noddles, you stay on 250 baht a day. If you not like, you go see your lawyer"

If accomodation is paid, no kids, expensive health cover, golfing, foreign bar scene, then 30k is adequate but as far as living..its more exsisting and is comparable to be in a council flat in Tower Hamlets on social security

I'll have to agree with you. 30K a month is living cheap! Back when I got over 40 Baht to the US dollar, I spent way over a million baht a year living in Phuket. I still spend about that even though I've already paid for most everything and cut back on expenses now...