Physical Assault By Bangkok Taxi Driver

freakingcat2

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A person on twitter suggested today after we know that filing a police complaint would lead to nothing (The witnesses would be too scared of the taxi mafia to testify, no physical harm done apart a few bruises on my arm) to call Thai radio to create awareness.

Did you report it to the police this morning despite this advice? I think it would be worth a try.

closing the door strongly aka slamming ( not mentioned in the original post) is a pretty provocative thing to do to any cab driver anywhere! sorry about the incident but thats the truth.

Yeah you're right. Anytime someone slams my car door I automatically take to their unprotected head with a metal bar. After all, they deserve it!

Jesus.

Try slamming the car door on a NYC cab driver and see what that gets you. (I'd bet the guy mentioned something under his breath as well.) In almost every case of Thai violence towards a foreigner, something happened to provoke the Thai. They don't just mindlessly attack foreigners without provocation. I'm sure in your mind, there's never any situation that justifies violence. But on the planet Earth, people have been subjected to physical attacks for much less.

Even we got a lot of support of great Thai people who offered to use their connection with high ranking police offers to make sure that a report will be filed (the only way here is to have connections) it would lead to nothing. Even if the driver is caught, he would deny everything. There were no security cams. The witnesses which we could of course point out, would surely say they did not witness anything (as they are scared of the taxi mafia and probably also the police). apart from a few bruises we were not hurt, so even there would be a follow up of this incident, nothing would come out. Sad to know that even the taxi complaint line could easily identify the driver, as we gave them the license plate number 6112 and an accurate description of the driver, they said as we don't know the Thai letter in front of the license plate (what foreigner in such a situation could memorize it?) they wont even file a complaint. So that guy is driving still around and we hope that he wont assault other passengers. Nothing can be done in the Land of Smiles. We will get over it, but we learned our lesson

Just one follow up. My friend did not "slam" the door. It was closed stronger than normally, but definitely it was not done in a way which would normally provoke somebody. I was very surprised that the driver got out of the car and immediately started to yell at my friend, trying to punch him and so on. As also the security guards hinted when I talked with them afterwards they said that the driver very likely was high on yah-bah which causes extreme agressive behavior.

Just one follow up. My friend did not "slam" the door. It was closed stronger than normally, but definitely it was not done in a way which would normally provoke somebody. I was very surprised that the driver got out of the car and immediately started to yell at my friend, trying to punch him and so on. As also the security guards hinted when I talked with them afterwards they said that the driver very likely was high on yah-bah which causes extreme agressive behavior.

was your friend a little bit pregnant at the time?

It`s all very easy.

Just abide by the unwritten rules of using a taxi in Thailand as I have described in my previous post and I am quoting this from over 30 years experience.

If anyone would like to experience being at the mercy of real hard core scamming taxi drivers, than I suggest they try out the black cabs in London, that makes the OPs incident appear miniscule in comparison.

I am looking forward to the comments from the Thai apologist when they start piping in and blaming the OP for not understanding Thai culture and not being at one with their thainess...

I think the OP only has himself to blame.

Everyone knows all taxi drivers are criminals and drug addicts, why even approach one?

I would not agree with this. Some taxi taxi drivers are quite friendly from my experience. You meet bad people all over, but the troubling part is that the police didn't give a s*it. I have been advised by my Thai friends that if I have an issue, not to go to the police. I have luckily not been in such a dangerous situation as yourself here in Thailand.

Few years ago I was traveling in Bolivia with a friend. We were at a nightclub, and I went outside to smoke a cigarette. A plain clothes cop (who was drunk as hell) approached me and tried to sell me drugs. When I declined, he got angry and grabbed me saying he was arresting me. At that, the head bouncer from the club grabbed the cop and kicked him down a flight of about 10 steps.

A couple of uniform cops in a cruiser then drove up. The club security then began shouting at the cops, who appeared to be quite scared. The cops then drove off with their compadre who was a little worse for wear.

From what I heard, all of the nightclubs there were run by the local drug bosses. Seemed like the drug gangs did most of the policing themselves, and I had never heard of anyone being robbed or even ripped off by a taxi, bar, overcharged, etc. It was actually a very safe place for tourists.

I got a feeling that the drug gangs, understood to a greater extent that tourists put money in their pocket, and any misbehavior by the local populace was not acceptable.

I do not think there is that same understanding here. The taxi driver probably felt he could do whatever he wanted because there would be no consequences from the police or anyone else. That type of environment, can be very dangerous I think.

closing the door strongly aka slamming ( not mentioned in the original post) is a pretty provocative thing to do to any cab driver anywhere! sorry about the incident but thats the truth.

Yeah you're right. Anytime someone slams my car door I automatically take to their unprotected head with a metal bar. After all, they deserve it!

Jesus.

Try slamming the car door on a NYC cab driver and see what that gets you. (I'd bet the guy mentioned something under his breath as well.) In almost every case of Thai violence towards a foreigner, something happened to provoke the Thai. They don't just mindlessly attack foreigners without provocation. I'm sure in your mind, there's never any situation that justifies violence. But on the planet Earth, people have been subjected to physical attacks for much less.

exactly that. the slamming of the door was the missing element to understand this situation better.

exactly that. the slamming of the door was the missing element to understand this situation better.

I am intrigued....please explain..."understanding this situation"....there was a fing loonie taxi driver trying to beat someone over the head...not hard to understand

• Like 1

I have stated as truthfully as possible my view of that incident which could have ended really badly. My intention to post it is that it serves as a warning to be extra cautious. I have been living and working in Thailand for 8 years and take taxis on a regular basis. In the last year it became more and more common for taxi drivers to refuse to turn on the meter, but this is the first (and hopefully last) time that I have been physically assaulted. For me it was an experience which made me understand that in a situation like that, being a foreigner, absolutely nothing can be done. The taxi drivers know that and I am quite sure that an incident like that is not an exception but that many foreigners, who are mostly tourists, just dont know how to make it public. I learned that in this kind of situation nothing could be done, nor will this incident lead to any action to increase the security for taxi passengers. One can only hope not to have the bad luck as we had to encounter a taxi driver who is high on drugs and extremely agressive. Maybe apologizing politely when refusing to pay a rip off price for the taxi driver to go without meter would work not provoke any agression, but I am sorry, I can't and wont do that.

This incident should show and serve also as a warning that public security is decreasing even further in this country. Whoever hasn't had a bad experience with a taxi driver (and there are many who are just nice and good ones) was just lucky.

Thanks for the interesting posts. I wont reply any more to this threat

• Like 2

I have stated as truthfully as possible my view of that incident which could have ended really badly. My intention to post it is that it serves as a warning to be extra cautious. I have been living and working in Thailand for 8 years and take taxis on a regular basis. In the last year it became more and more common for taxi drivers to refuse to turn on the meter, but this is the first (and hopefully last) time that I have been physically assaulted. For me it was an experience which made me understand that in a situation like that, being a foreigner, absolutely nothing can be done. The taxi drivers know that and I am quite sure that an incident like that is not an exception but that many foreigners, who are mostly tourists, just dont know how to make it public. I learned that in this kind of situation nothing could be done, nor will this incident lead to any action to increase the security for taxi passengers. One can only hope not to have the bad luck as we had to encounter a taxi driver who is high on drugs and extremely agressive. Maybe apologizing politely when refusing to pay a rip off price for the taxi driver to go without meter would work not provoke any agression, but I am sorry, I can't and wont do that.

This incident should show and serve also as a warning that public security is decreasing even further in this country. Whoever hasn't had a bad experience with a taxi driver (and there are many who are just nice and good ones) was just lucky.

Thank you for sharing this with the forum and giving some warning of what may occur. I fully understand how this shocking incident and the lack of empathy by law enforcement left you and your friend feeling traumatised and disempowered. I feel there is an increasing trend of violence by Thais, not only towards tourists, but in general Thai society.

Thank you for sharing this with the forum and giving some warning of what may occur. I fully understand how this shocking incident and the lack of empathy by law enforcement left you and your friend feeling traumatised and disempowered. I feel there is an increasing trend of violence by Thais, not only towards tourists, but in general Thai society.

True, but to be fair they are being unfairly provoked into instigating attacks of mindless violence with metal bars by the sound of car doors closing and children's balloons, so really who can blame them? As foreigners we should really learn to tip toe around even quieter to ensure we don't provoke them into more incidents of mindless violence.

I've learned my lesson alright. From now on when I get out a taxi I'm leaving the door open. They obviously don't like it when you close them.

Edited by Kananga
  • Like 1

The so-called complaint lines are a waste of time.

In most cases they are not interested and will fob the complainant onto somewhere else and you will find the same applies with the police unless someone is seriously injured or killed. Even then they maybe reluctant to come out. Hardly worth the effort of making a phone call.

The golden rules when taking a taxi here in Thailand are:

In unmetered cabs, always agree a fare before making the journey, than there can no disputes later on at the destination.

Well, a few years ago, on my way to BKK i missed the bus at Koh Chang pier..Having noticed a taxi parked on the side of the road,i asked the driver how much to BKK.

As a Thai friend told me, when taxis take customers from BKK to Koh Chang, more often than not , they go back empty..So there i went, and i bargained a price of 2000 B., while the normal fare would have been 3000 B. or maybe little more.

I thought it was a good deal for the taxi driver more than for me, as the price of the bus ticket is around 250 B.

Finally, when we arrived in Sukhumvit, i handed the guy 2000 B., but he said 2500...I said 2000, he said angrily 2500...As i had already noticed, the taxi was parked not more than 5 meters from a Police Box;

In the case of a serious confrontation, it would have been my word against his word.so i handed him 500 more than the previously agreed price, and not so happily walked away.

This is my only bad experience with taxis in Thailand, except careless driving which i find more common, specially on the highways.

Back to serious - might be unnecessary repetition, but only these rules are necessary.

In thirteen years using taxis daily I've never had a problem like the OP experienced - not saying it doesn't happen, but it's rare - if you follow these rules and at all times keep the mood light and friendly, remain softly spoken and smiling, remember it's just a friendly game no need for confrontational tone body language. Note I also don't drink, so that may be a factor.

1 Never accept a ride from anyone approaching you or standing around waiting for customers anywhere, especially bus/train stations, nightlife or tourist areas, and never in places like Patpong where the mafia-BiB are blocking the normal cruising cabs from operating. Just step out, walk down the road, get to a normal busy street and flag down a cruising taxi.

2 Stand outside the cab and get agreement wrt your destination and the use of the meter before getting in. Possible exception - it's raining or otherwise few taxis around and you're getting desperate and willing to take the *very* slight chance he'll freak out being asked to use the meter. Sometimes it's even worth doing it for a fixed rate agreed beforehand, I've had to do that twice in 13 years and it only cost me an extra 20-40 baht, well worth it in certain circumstances.

3 If you do have a problem, note the color/company and the cab number - the ID in the dashboard holder is often inaccurate, especially for the drugged out whackos.

Well, a few years ago, on my way to BKK i missed the bus at Koh Chang pier..Having noticed a taxi parked on the side of the road,i asked the driver how much to BKK.

FFR I was in the same situation, found a few van drivers hanging around and negotiated a flat fee up to 11 passengers no extra to the On Nut BTS.

Rounded up a few fellow stranded passengers from in front of the bus station and off we went, cost us 30 baht more apiece than the bus ticket and far faster and more comfortable.

And I got the guys card, next weekend got a whole gang together from work and gave the guy some more business, worked out all round.

Whoever hasn't had a bad experience with a taxi driver (and there are many who are just nice and good ones) was just lucky.

Actually I think it's you who was unlucky, definitely not the other way round.

no,it isnt

Back to serious - might be unnecessary repetition, but only these rules are necessary.

In thirteen years using taxis daily I've never had a problem like the OP experienced - not saying it doesn't happen, but it's rare - if you follow these rules and at all times keep the mood light and friendly, remain softly spoken and smiling, remember it's just a friendly game no need for confrontational tone body language. Note I also don't drink, so that may be a factor.

1 Never accept a ride from anyone approaching you or standing around waiting for customers anywhere, especially bus/train stations, nightlife or tourist areas, and never in places like Patpong where the mafia-BiB are blocking the normal cruising cabs from operating. Just step out, walk down the road, get to a normal busy street and flag down a cruising taxi.

2 Stand outside the cab and get agreement wrt your destination and the use of the meter before getting in. Possible exception - it's raining or otherwise few taxis around and you're getting desperate and willing to take the *very* slight chance he'll freak out being asked to use the meter. Sometimes it's even worth doing it for a fixed rate agreed beforehand, I've had to do that twice in 13 years and it only cost me an extra 20-40 baht, well worth it in certain circumstances.

3 If you do have a problem, note the color/company and the cab number - the ID in the dashboard holder is often inaccurate, especially for the drugged out whackos.

Suggested additions:

1. Never ever consider using any Taxi coloured Yellow/Burgandy.

2. Don't get in if you can see any tattos on the head, neck, hands of the driver or Barry Gibb medallions.

3. Try to photograph/video the driver, side door, reg plate & ID numbers (on the inside of the door) or at the very least write them down.

4. Check the meter after any sudden jolts (speedbumps; I once had a bloke 'try it on' as we drove through Bumrungrad & then tried "face" when rumbled-see 2)

I've had a couple of clowns over the years but nothing serious.

Edited by evadgib

i was in a class once and the thai lady teaching us asked if anyone has had a bad experience with a taxi or tuk tuk driver in thailand

the whole class erupted in laughter and a frenchman summed it up perfectly

he said " better to ask if anyone has had a good experience with a taxi driver in bkk "

almost everyone has a story about being overcharged ,taken the scenic route ,ripped off ,taken to places they didnt want to go so the driver could get commision etc etc etc

Edited by wana
  • Like 1

I have never had such a dangerous situation with a taxi driver but did have a lots of negative experience. Having lived in countries in Europe, never encountered this kind of behaviour by taxi drivers. It is hard to say any words in the defence of the thai taxi drivers. Those having only good experience must have been lucky.

Unfortunately these bonkers exactly know that they can intimidate, attack people without any consequences.

I find it strange that a topic like this can turn to a blaming the OP and the westerners thread.

And also, I find strange the suggestions how to deal with a taxi driver. When we have to follow these "commandments" , does not it imply the possibility of a dangerous event?

Why do we have to follow "commandments" or "suggestions" before dealing with a taxi driver?

Why don`t we just listen to the facts? Travellers often get into trouble with taxi drivers in Thailand.

• Like 2

I have never had such a dangerous situation with a taxi driver but did have a lots of negative experience. Having lived in countries in Europe, never encountered this kind of behaviour by taxi drivers. It is hard to say any words in the defence of the thai taxi drivers. Those having only good experience must have been lucky.

Unfortunately these bonkers exactly know that they can intimidate, attack people without any consequences.

I find it strange that a topic like this can turn to a blaming the OP and the westerners thread.

And also, I find strange the suggestions how to deal with a taxi driver. When we have to follow these "commandments" , does not it imply the possibility of a dangerous event?

Why do we have to follow "commandments" or "suggestions" before dealing with a taxi driver?

Why don`t we just listen to the facts? Travellers often get into trouble with taxi drivers in Thailand.

Well said.

Reminds me a little of the story from 9 years ago of Canadian Mark Douglas Shargool, 38, and Briton Sean Neil Strache, 28, who were stabbed in 2003 by a BKK taxi driver after getting in an altercation with him after a drunken night out in BKK. They were accused of vomiting in his taxi and putting their feet up on the seat during the journey. Unfortunately Strache lost his sight in one eye. Apparently they were both University lecturers in BKK, with Shargool, working at at Mahidol University, while Strache, worked at Kasetsart University.

http://www.iol.co.za...ntPageLayout.ot

The incident was reported on Thaivisa by Mark Shargool himself:

http://www.thaivisa....-driver-attack/

I have vomited in a taxi - and paid extra for cleaning and it all went fine.

I have also had taxi-drivers acts drugged out, crazy, threatening, drive around 'by accident' etc - but I have also had drivers that were good, that drove wrong by accident and deducted the extra from the fair etc.

So, all of the extremes and everything in between can happen to normal people.

And I take taxi atleast 15 times a week.

Edited by TAWP

And lots of foreigners get AIDS here too, but the sex biz still thrives.

Suggestions for sensible precautions on how to avoid problems are helpful - the precautions I listed will signal to the driver that you're not a mark.

Inconvenience, annoyances like being overcharged etc are hardly worth taking more than normal precautions, get those in many more developed countries. Actual physical threats are completely different and are very very rare.

About six months ago I was battered by a taxi driver and six of his mates ,I was hammered drunk coming out of a club in the city ,splashing cash like a idiot ,was more than likely pegged by some dude inside ,was driven somewhere then dumped out ,that said I threw the first punch and cracked some teeth ,his mates returned the favor ,lost about 7k and a blackberry

Now my missus insists I call her when I wanna go somewhere and she books me a taxi ,I wait in a 7/11 and scoff ham n cheese croissants ,cost about 50baht extra but well worth it

Back to the initial thumping her ol man is a copper ,told me with out the I'd and the color of the taxi there was jack I could do and even if I could he would need to call in favors and I'll be parting with more cash ,seems he wants to keep his favors and told me to pay up or forget it

This is Thailand the wheels of justice need oiling and even then you are not sure they will turn,best advice ,preplan travel and when confronted by a scum burger yabba head either put him to sleep or rip out the cash ,trying to discuss rational with a junkie usually ends up sloppy

• Like 1