Transgender's Candidature A New First For Provincial Poll: Thailand

webfact

Transgender's candidature a new first for provincial poll

MAYUREE SUKYINGCHAROENWONG

THE NATION

30180639-01_big.jpg

A beautiful transgender has caused a stir by registering as an election candidate for the Nan Provincial Administration Organisation.

BANGKOK: -- "I'm confident that my experience and ability will be useful in the development of Nan," Yonlada "Kirkkong" Suanyos, 30, said yesterday.

This is the first time a transgender has run for a political post at the provincial level. Although she is a new face in politics, she is famous as president of the Trans Female Association of Thailand.

For many years, she has campaigned for the rights of trans-females. The PhD candidate owns a jewellery business and runs a satellite television station.

Last year, she was named by a media organisation as one of the most influential women in Thai society.

"I believe transgenders and homosexuals will support me," she said.

After undergoing a sex-change operation at the age of 16, she is physically a woman but her official documents give her title as "Mr".

Some entertainment personalities have encouraged Yonlada's campaign for the Nan councillor post.

Pongthorn Chalearn, a project coordinator for the M Plus Foundation, said Yonlada's presence in the Nan poll would enhance political diversity.

"Men have long dominated the country's politics," he said.

She would have a good chance of winning because she has solid support in the northern province, he said. Her mother used to be the head of the Ban Suan Tan community.

Yonlada is contesting as candidate "No 1" in Constituency 1 in Tambon Nai Wiang. Her rivals are Pawat Sattayawong and Suchart Jitbanjong - both men.

Candidacy applications, which opened on Monday, will close on Friday.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-25

Nothing like a stereotype. Maybe that demographic is looking for someone with some ooomph?

You know, virtues such as integrity,or an intelligent social and political platform?

• Like 1

Nothing like a stereotype. Maybe that demographic is looking for someone with some ooomph?

You know, virtues such as integrity,or an intelligent social and political platform?

Do you mean the same values and virtues as the current government by any mischance?

Go girl. I hope for her success. At least she isn't some crooked phu yai's sister or neice. Being a Ph.D. we can assume that she knows how to put a card in the correct slot.

Is anybody wondering who her Mr. Wonderful is or is that being too salacious or personal?

• Like 1

yes being transgender or homo is no achievement. a politician should be honest, what he likes in his sex life isn't important

Is it me or is this guy hotter than Yingluck?

The worlds first transgender PM, What are the chances?

Let's just give her the benefit of the doubt, after all,she had the "chop-n-drop" or nip and tuck" when she was

only 16 giggle.gif , and has been successful ever since.

I say,good luck to her and hope she shakes some of those old Nan political wanke_rs up.thumbsup.gif

Homosexuals despise Kathoyes.

Homosexuals despise Kathoyes.

Not at all. That's as bad a stereo type.

Some do, most could care less about them.

Others like them as another alternative.

Just as in other areas of life there are few absolutes.

This person here is talented, smart, well spoken and motivated.

A potent combination in a politician, when so many are

greedy morons who blather inane crap day in and day out.

More power to "her". It's refreshing to see how generally accepted transgenders and homosexuals are in Thailand. However for the sake of accuracy unless "she" has suddenly developed the ability to bear children she's not a woman.

Edited by mca

More power to "her". It's refreshing to see how generally accepted transgenders and homosexuals are in Thailand. However for the sake of accuracy unless "she" has suddenly developed the ability to bear children she's not a woman.

I can see where you are coming from but I think quite a few barren women would take exception to that comment.

• Like 1