Work Visa And Then Dont Like The Job

Hi there,

I write to ask about a scenario that occurs where I have job interview. They like me and give me doc's to obtain Non Imm B visa. I get this then I eventually get the proper Work visa. 4 months into the job my situation changes and I quit the job.

What happens then with the work visa. How do they cancel my Work visa?

Will they ask for my passport to cancel it?

Will I have to do a border run to revert back to a double entry tourist visa?

Please explain full logistics...

thanks

The Visa remains valid, if however it was an extension within Thailand or a change from one type to another then it is invalid and you would have to leave within 7 days. If received from outside of Thailand it remains valid until the run out date.

Also there is no such thing as a work visa, it is a Non Immigrant B.

Edited by beano2274

You probably would only get a single non-B, good for 90 days. So in your fourth month would probably mean that you are on an extension of stay from immigration. In that case, you have to visit the labour office and immirgation with a letter from your employer stating that your employment has terminated on that day. The labour office will cancel your work permit an immirgation will cancel your permission to stay. At immigration you can get 7 days to leave the country for 1,900 baht.

Every day you are in Thailand after your employment has finished means you are on overstay

Do not give your employer your passport, have them give you a letter for the labour office and 1 for immigration.

The Visa remains valid, if however it was an extension within Thailand or a change from one type to another then it is invalid and you would have to leave within 7 days. If received from outside of Thailand it remains valid until the run out date.

Also there is no such thing as a work visa, it is a Non Immigrant B.

Actually you dont even have 7 days, unless you pay for it, if on extension of stay and they pull you WP, you are actually expected to be out the country within 24 hours

Is this a theoretical scenario you are describing?

There is no such thing as a 'Work Visa' you must have a Work Permit (Blue Book) to work; one of the conditions for a Work Permit to be issued is that you have a Non Immigrant Type 'B' Visa with a valid 90 day border entry stamp.

If you have a Non Immigrant Type 'B' Visa then leaving your job and cancelling the WP does not affect this type of Visa and the associated Border Entry Stamp - you can also continue to use the Non B Visa (whilst valid for entry) for additional 90 day entries to Thailand.

However if you are on an Extension of Permission to Stay (Issued at you local Thai Immigration Dept) based on Working in The Kingdom of Thailand (National Police Order 777/2551 Section 2.1) then this is cancelled the day you finish work/your WP is cancelled - with this extension you must immediately leave Thailand or make other arrangements for a new Extension of Permission to Stay with Immigration. If you have no other basis for an extension then at best you can get a 7 day extension before you must exit at a Thai Border. After that it's up to you if you come straight back on a 15/30 day (land crossing - 15 days/air entry -30 days) Visa Exempt Entry or if you go to a Thai Consulate to get a new Visa before you re-enter.

• 1 year later...

Is this a theoretical scenario you are describing?...

If you have no other basis for an extension then at best you can get a 7 day extension before you must exit at a Thai Border. After that it's up to you if you come straight back on a 15/30 day (land crossing - 15 days/air entry -30 days) Visa Exempt Entry or if you go to a Thai Consulate to get a new Visa before you re-enter.

As a follow-up please: If you do have some other basis for an extension - such as marriage for instance - what are the logistics for converting to that extension without having to leave the country?

It depends on from what you currently have. If you already have a non-immigrant visa you simply apply for an extension based on marriage. If you have a tourist visa or visa exempt entry for instance, you will need to actually convert and will need about two weeks left on your current permission to stay. Based on marriage you will probably be sent to BKK for the conversion.

It depends on from what you currently have. If you already have a non-immigrant visa you simply apply for an extension based on marriage. If you have a tourist visa or visa exempt entry for instance, you will need to actually convert and will need about two weeks left on your current permission to stay. Based on marriage you will probably be sent to BKK for the conversion.

Thanks, that sounds good. Actually I am in BKK and came in on a Non-O marriage visa. Then I received a 1 year marriage extension at Chaengwattana. My latest employer did 2 extensions for me based on employment, at the One-Stop center (along with the work permit). The paperwork had Non-B written on it, but the extension stamps don't mention anything (in English anyway).

So, from what you are saying, it seems I can just apply for the marriage extension again. The parts still unclear for me, is: am I to cancel the extension? Where do I need to cancel, and where do I apply for the new marriage extension? I don't think I can do the marriage extension at the One-Stop center, but not sure I can cancel the employment extension at Chaengwattana. Do I need to visit both places? Can there be an interval between the cancellation and the application, say within the 24-hour period you need to use to get out?

My employer made it so easy for the extensions, but now it seems a mess to get back to my previous state...

Edited by sanooki

"... you can also continue to use the Non B Visa (whilst valid for entry) for additional 90 day entries to Thailand."

Only if it's a multiple entry visa, I believe.

Correct; a Single Entry 90 day Non B Visa cannot be valid for entry once it has already been used to enter Thailand.

Believe you

Thanks, that sounds good. Actually I am in BKK and came in on a Non-O marriage visa. Then I received a 1 year marriage extension at Chaengwattana. My latest employer did 2 extensions for me based on employment, at the One-Stop center (along with the work permit). The paperwork had Non-B written on it, but the extension stamps don't mention anything (in English anyway).

So, from what you are saying, it seems I can just apply for the marriage extension again. The parts still unclear for me, is: am I to cancel the extension? Where do I need to cancel, and where do I apply for the new marriage extension? I don't think I can do the marriage extension at the One-Stop center, but not sure I can cancel the employment extension at Chaengwattana. Do I need to visit both places? Can there be an interval between the cancellation and the application, say within the 24-hour period you need to use to get out?

My employer made it so easy for the extensions, but now it seems a mess to get back to my previous state...

Indeed believe you will have to visit both but One-Stop seems to still provide 7 days to leave/convert/obtain new extension without application of extension so should be fine. Others have done this so they should be able to tell you exactly how/what to do.

Believe you

Indeed believe you will have to visit both but One-Stop seems to still provide 7 days to leave/convert/obtain new extension without application of extension so should be fine. Others have done this so they should be able to tell you exactly how/what to do.

Thank you much sir. That seems enough information to get started.