What Whiske/Y Should I Buy A Thai Man As A Gift

ShanePashen

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

if you want to play safe, but still make it a little different spend an extra couple hundred baht on a bottle of Johnny Walker Double Black.

the packaging is quite impressive.

same same but different

Gotta say that looks mighty impressive, and at around the same price even better.

Looks very upmarket and I never knew such a thing existed.

Shane ... forget the double black or ANYTHING slightly exotic ... seriously.

They aren’t about to sip it quietly by the fireside.

The only 'fireside' they are going to see is if the neighbour rubbish burn gets out of control.

A bottle of so-so plonk in a nice box duty-free is more then adequate.

The heart you have to win over is her Mum's.

More importantly ... how is the Thai language practise going?

A 21 year old Glenlivet fits the ticket. Lovely stuff

I've never seen Thais appreciate good malt whisky, always lots of soda and ice. Black label is OK as it is a status thing, but any old stuff would do. Suggest filling a 'Black Label ' bottle with cheap blended and seeing if they notice .Makes me feel homesick for a decent bar in Edinburgh with it's row of good whiskies..

I think I'm with Tommo on this. It has the hallmarks of a good troll.

I must admit the reference to the OP's gf's 'brother' made my eyebrows arch slightly, when I first read it.

I liked the Japanese whisky suggestion.

I'm surprised no-one has followed up with suggestions on that score.

Nevertheless, it behoves us to be as helpful as we can, for the benefit of third parties who might come across this thread while seeking advice

SC

A 21 year old Glenlivet fits the ticket. Lovely stuff

I've never seen Thais appreciate good malt whisky, always lots of soda and ice. Black label is OK as it is a status thing, but any old stuff would do. Suggest filling a 'Black Label ' bottle with cheap blended and seeing if they notice .Makes me feel homesick for a decent bar in Edinburgh with it's row of good whiskies..

Or pink diesel

Edited by StreetCowboy

The only 'fireside' they are going to see is if the neighbour rubbish burn gets out of control.

Hi David

yes i managed to get a copy of rosette stone level 1 Thai off a torrent site.

So slowly working my way through that.

i also got a great migration agent, I think you know who that is?

He used to be on these forums.

What is with all the conspiracy theorists here, I'm a fairly transparent person.

I have no agenda and nothing to hide, this merely one of many internet forums I use for information.

Same as I use for my 4X4 for e.g.

It's useful, and has and continues to help me.

I take everything here with a grain of salt however, as there is seems to be some very bittier and burned people here.

get a life some of you ;)

Hi David

What is with all the conspiracy theorists here, I'm a fairly transparent person.

I have no agenda and nothing to hide, this merely one of many internet forums I use for information.

I take everything here with a grain of salt however, as there is seems to be some very bittier and burned people here.

get a life some of you wink.png

What are you on about? I thought this was about whisky?

Hi David

Perhaps we are all grains of salt eh. smile.png

Hi David

What are you on about? I thought this was about whisky?

yeah so did I, until I was accused of being some Tool with so little time on his hands, that he has to concoct some elaborate fictitious life or something.

*yawn*

Lets stick to the subject of hard liquor please

If the brother drinks like a fish, then Ian Forbes might be able to offer some valuable advice

SC

IanForbes was able to give advice on many a subject and I am sure that he helped many a newbie (and not so new) here.

I have a cunning plan.

I have an empty bottle of Johnny Walker black label.

I am willing to sell this bottle to the OP for 200 baht. Then all he has to do is buy a cheap bottle of Thai gut rot liquor for around 80 baht and pours it into the Johnny Walker bottle.

Lets face it, most of these country carrot crunchers couldn’t tell the difference anyway. The OP saves money, the GFs brother in law`s cousin twice removed Uncle believes he has a bottle of Johnny Walker and everyone’s happy all round.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 2

http://www.suntory.c...rize/index.html

It has been known for some time now by those truly knowledgeable in the area that the best whiskeys are now made in Japan. This is especially true if you want value. Scottish whiskeys are grossly overvalued like many things in the 'old countries'.

Get him a good Japanese whiskey, and there's nothing wrong with a couple words of education when handing over the gift.

"This is for you. It's a Japanese brand of whiskey which is regarded by whiskey experts around the world to be among the best there is. Don't worry, it was not too expensive. Enjoy."

Case closed.

Edited by xthAi76s

It has been known for some time now by those truly knowledgeable in the area that the best whiskeys are now made in Japan. This is especially true if you want value. Scottish whiskeys are grossly overvalued like many things in the 'old countries'.

Get him a good Japanese whiskey, and there's nothing wrong with a couple words of education when handing over the gift.

"This is for you. It's a Japanese brand of whiskey which is regarded by whiskey experts around the world to be among the best there is. Don't worry, it was not too expensive. Enjoy."

Case closed.

I 'm sure Japanese wiskey is OK, unfortunately we who have lived in the land know it's called 'whisky' not 'whiskey'. That's from other parts- Ireland, America and Japan. So real whisky, the best, comes from bonnie Scotland

Case closed.

I 'm sure Japanese wiskey is OK, unfortunately we who have lived in the land know it's called 'whisky' not 'whiskey'. That's from other parts- Ireland, America and Japan. So real whisky, the best, comes from bonnie Scotland

Hmmm... I thought whisky/whiskey was invented in America by Scottish immigrants. Anyways, I'm sure either would do.

Black Label is definitely the safest choice. Although Red Label is perfectly acceptable as well imo. The vast majority are just going to mix it with 90% coke and soda water anyway.

Although a bottle of decent gin or vodka would be fine too. Maybe he might appreciate something a bit different. You are allowed to take your own bottle of whiskey to bars and restaurants in Thailand, so a nice looking bottle of something they don't normally have might be nice

Years ago while working for a Thai company my Thai boss would stop be occasionally. I don't like any scotch but decided to buy a bottle of JW Red Label for the next time he stopped. While he was sitting in the living room, I got out the bottle of Red Label. He came right out and told me that he couldn't drink Red Label because it was just too rough tasting and thet Black Label was much better.

A few days later I stopped at a friends bar and picked up an empty Black Label bottle. I took it home and poured the Red label into that bottle. The next time my boss stopped by, he had the Red Label from the Black Label bottle and thought it was great and very smooth. That is a true story and confirmed my belief that it is the cost of the booze and not the booze itself. I probably wouldn't have done that if he drank it straight with no mixers.

This is also worth trying:

http://i1150.photobu...a/CIMG1940c.jpg

Still not sure where this originated; was given to me 2 years ago and have never seen it since.

That is hilarious, where did that come from , fell off the back of a truck from Laos

Would have been better if they called it Black Labia cheesy.gif

Maybe fell onto the back of a truck in Laos..............

post-76988-0-85303500-1335355191_thumb.j

post-76988-0-72097900-1335355244_thumb.j

I think I'm with Tommo on this. It has the hallmarks of a good troll.

I must admit the reference to the OP's gf's 'brother' made my eyebrows arch slightly, when I first read it.

I liked the Japanese whisky suggestion.

I'm surprised no-one has followed up with suggestions on that score.

Nevertheless, it behoves us to be as helpful as we can, for the benefit of third parties who might come across this thread while seeking advice

SC

No, you're not allowed to do that. You have to show off your arrogance to all the members who might otherwise ignore your self proclaimed genius.

After reading more information from the OP, the Double Black appears to tick the right boxes.

• Like 1

Black Label is definitely the safest choice. Although Red Label is perfectly acceptable as well imo. The vast majority are just going to mix it with 90% coke and soda water anyway.

Although a bottle of decent gin or vodka would be fine too. Maybe he might appreciate something a bit different. You are allowed to take your own bottle of whiskey to bars and restaurants in Thailand, so a nice looking bottle of something they don't normally have might be nice

Years ago while working for a Thai company my Thai boss would stop be occasionally. I don't like any scotch but decided to buy a bottle of JW Red Label for the next time he stopped. While he was sitting in the living room, I got out the bottle of Red Label. He came right out and told me that he couldn't drink Red Label because it was just too rough tasting and thet Black Label was much better.

A few days later I stopped at a friends bar and picked up an empty Black Label bottle. I took it home and poured the Red label into that bottle. The next time my boss stopped by, he had the Red Label from the Black Label bottle and thought it was great and very smooth. That is a true story and confirmed my belief that it is the cost of the booze and not the booze itself. I probably wouldn't have done that if he drank it straight with no mixers.

Ooooh... you're walking a thin line there. I think I could recognise the difference. I drink Black or Chivas with Soda and a dash of coke when out on the sauce with friends. It's mainly for the fact that the hangover is reduced when compared to Red Label.

Perhaps your boss noticed but took the more commonly adopted course of action for Thai's and said nothing - You are now a marked man !!! ;-)

Ooooh... you're walking a thin line there. I think I could recognise the difference. I drink Black or Chivas with Soda and a dash of coke when out on the sauce with friends. It's mainly for the fact that the hangover is reduced when compared to Red Label.

Perhaps your boss noticed but took the more commonly adopted course of action for Thai's and said nothing - You are now a marked man !!! ;-)

Hmmm, but perhaps they will think your a pussy. Don't forget what others think eh. laugh.png

Case closed.

Hmmm... I thought whisky/whiskey was invented in America by Scottish immigrants. Anyways, I'm sure either would do.

How wrong can you be?smile.png

Case closed.

Of course thumbsup.gif you are right.

the 'e' makes all the differencesmile.png ( not in the morning however!!)

Just say 'no' to drugs

SC

Every thing is/was a drug, even my sherbert dab. tongue.png

But surely one should be able to drink oneself to incontinent unconsciousness without taking Ecstasy as well?

I'd keep shtum about the dabs if you don't want to stay at the Hilton...

SC

Case closed.

And you are ALMOST correct.

http://www.whisky.com/

Whisky vs Whiskey: The spelling Whisky is used for whiskies distilled in Scotland, Wales, Canada, and Japan, while Whiskey is only used for the spirits distilled in Ireland and America. However, a 1968 directive of the United States Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms now specifies Whisky as the official U.S. spelling!