Roof Ventilation

Dirk_brijs

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is what I put in my house in tripocal Oz. took about 4 deg off the living room temp.

http://www.scorigin....an__ventilation

That's the ticket. Did you get it from a dealer in Thailand? I'm looking at their site on my phone so maybe the local dealer address is there and I'm just not seeing it.

No, that's a Malaysian company. You could give thema call or email to see if they have a local distributor.

This is what I put in my house in tripocal Oz. took about 4 deg off the living room temp.

That's the ticket. Did you get it from a dealer in Thailand? I'm looking at their site on my phone so maybe the local dealer address is there and I'm just not seeing it.

No, that's a Malaysian company. You could give thema call or email to see if they have a local distributor.

Neat stuff. They do list Thailand on the website. A call or quick email to them would be worth it.

Neat stuff. They do list Thailand on the website. A call or quick email to them would be worth it.

That is good, strange you don't see a lot of that around here though, maybe an opportunity ........

I've been studying a lot of newly constructed houses here (i.e. looking at them as I drive by) and none are being built with any apparent attic ventilation. I suspect it's one of those things the architects leave off the design because it only raises the cost of the house and Thai people are resigned to dealing with sweltering indoor heat, so why bother?

So I don't really see a business opportunity here.

What about ridge vents?

Are these used in Thailand?

http://www.cor-a-ven...00e-shingle.jpg

a very effective method to ventilate attic space. unfortunately unknown in Thailand.

Not unknown, CPAC in Thailand have something the same called CPAC Monier Cool Roof System (ระบบหลังคาเย็นซีแพคโมเนีย)

http://www.cpacroof.com/roofsystem-heat03.html

Any thoughts on how effective a CPAC Monier Pipe Vent would be?

as effective as a drop in the ocean. but CPACs ridge vent system looks indeed effective, assuming there is sufficient and unblocked intake area under the roof overhang. but i think installing that system on an existing roof might cause a lot of damage to tiles because the normal ridge tiles are fixed with concrete mortar ands are therefore difficult to remove.

• 4 months later...

I had 2 whirlygigs installed at 3000 baht each, the best money every spent.

My neighbour came in this morning & commented on how cool my home was, he has 2 being installed tomorrow.

He was charged 7000 baht but is happy,

Cheers

After much research, I am convinced that the whirlybird works. But now I am puzzled as to which one to choose, as there are 14" and 22", made in Thailand, does it require more wind to move the bigger ones, and when rainning, does the bigger ones get more rain water in as the vents are bigger? Some comparisons for the small and big ones.

And also, the thai made has no bearings, so it will squeal after some time, was wondering how long before it starts to squeal.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/VkkP80bCYfU?hd=1&autoplay=1&rel=0

http://www.gulfcoastenergysavers.com/whirlybirds_67.html

• Like 1

My neighbor put a Whirlybird on his roof and it wasn't too many weeks later that it started squeaking. We have good wind here and I regularly see it spinning. I would really like to have 1 or more installed on our roof but the thought of having a squeaking device on my roof has stopped me thus far.

Does anyone have experience with ones here that don't squeak after a long time and if so, where did you get them. I'm on the darkside and I see them everywhere but I'm not sure how I can be assured that they will last and not make noise.

I had 2 whirlygigs installed at 3000 baht each, the best money every spent.

My neighbour came in this morning & commented on how cool my home was, he has 2 being installed tomorrow.

He was charged 7000 baht but is happy,

Cheers

Where did you get yours from Robin? Have a shop location or a contact number? It sounds like you are happy with yours and the install job.

Also, and I know there are other factors to consider but what sizes are the ones you got? In a 1 story 3-br home would it be better to go with 2 smaller ones or 1 big one?

Edited by Jayman

I got my 3 from a small shop opposite thesauna place net to Kiss Foods on Soi Siam. I originally had 2 installed at 6000, then installed another over the bedroon. The first 2 have been up for 2 years & I have never heard a noise from them. The last one was 3500 made & installed. It leaked during a storm but they came back & fixed it the next day. Do they work.....absolutely.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

Just came back from the shop, opposite Kiss. The smaller whirly was 2800, installed. But if you wanted the part that sets the Whirly straight, that cost another 1000, if I understood him right. It wouldnt leak around the attachment point, because its attached to a fiberglass just like the other roof tiles. But rain coming straight in, without any wind, seems like it might leak a bit, but maybe not.

My neighbor put a Whirlybird on his roof and it wasn't too many weeks later that it started squeaking.

Wow, didn't expect this will happen in such a short period of usage, according to the shop, it will usually last 2 years before it started squeaking.

I got my 3 from a small shop opposite thesauna place net to Kiss Foods on Soi Siam. I originally had 2 installed at 6000, then installed another over the bedroon. The first 2 have been up for 2 years & I have never heard a noise from them. The last one was 3500 made & installed. It leaked during a storm but they came back & fixed it the next day. Do they work.....absolutely.

So are yours 14" or the big 22"? Does the rain come in during heavy rain? I mean when properly installed and there is no leak, does the rain water come in from the open vent in between the blades, especially when there is no wind and it is not moving?

Just came back from the shop, opposite Kiss. The smaller whirly was 2800, installed. But if you wanted the part that sets the Whirly straight, that cost another 1000, if I understood him right. It wouldnt leak around the attachment point, because its attached to a fiberglass just like the other roof tiles. But rain coming straight in, without any wind, seems like it might leak a bit, but maybe not.

Have checked out this shop opp Kiss too, but they only sell, the job is contracted to other people, so maybe after sales service may be a problem. But my neighbour got a pair from them, have been up and spinning for 3 months already, and no leak or squeak yet. There is a shop further down on the same side of the suana, has anyone try that shop?

Edited by Cobrabiker

Thanks for all the info guys. We get decent wind on the roof even on calm days. I just can't imagine not having any wind when it's pissing down rain. I will check out the shop mentioned several times opposite kiss food on SSCC. Why would we need the piece that straightens the whirley? It's not like wind blows straight horizontal. Can anyone here make a claim as to why this is needed?

Perhaps the squeaky one my neighbor got has been fixed cause I was looking at it just yesterday and it was spinning and silent. I'm just worried about the lack of sealed bearings that another poster mentioned. If they last several years then I guess that's all that matters.

Now my neighbor put in vents in his gypsum ceiling as we have recessed ceilings and can be done without really being seen. He seemed to have good reason for doing so (he did all the work himself) but he has since passed and his wife is not the one to prime for good info. Do I need to put some vents to allow air from inside the house to enter the attic and been vented of if just having vents in the roof for entry and the whirley for exit enough to keep the house cool. After some reading it seems that just cooling the attic is enough to keep the inside of the house from getting heated. However, I could understand having the vents in the ceiling to create more airflow inside the house as well. What are your guy's thoughts on this. I noticed Pauljones has a picture of a vent.

My biggest concern with the whirlies is not the design of the whirlies themselves but the way they seem to install them here. It seems the whirlies are mounted on a plate that is put on top of the tiles, and they then try to seal it with silicone. I would be much less concerned with a design where the plate/tiles holding the whirlies would slide under the higher row of tiles. Does this make sense, kinda difficult to explain in writing?

I have 3 x 22", they MUST be vertical so the add on to facilitate this is vital. If they are at the angle of the roof, I think the rain will fall thru the vents as wind movement is restricted by not being vertical. I think you may have not understood the guy at the shop, he installs but maybe he has subbies if busy.

The shop on the same side as the sauna is his brother, the quality from him is very poor. My neighbour's wife didn't like a farang telling her where to buy one, she went to the sauna side. After 3 visits back & repainting a ceiling, she went to the guy opposite the sauna & paid for a new one.

Make your own decision tho.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

My biggest concern with the whirlies is not the design of the whirlies themselves but the way they seem to install them here. It seems the whirlies are mounted on a plate that is put on top of the tiles, and they then try to seal it with silicone. I would be much less concerned with a design where the plate/tiles holding the whirlies would slide under the higher row of tiles. Does this make sense, kinda difficult to explain in writing?

that's how it should be done, upper side sliding under the tiles and the plate on which the Whirly is mounted fixed with galvanised steel wire on the roof structure.

Thanks for all the info guys. We get decent wind on the roof even on calm days. I just can't imagine not having any wind when it's pissing down rain. I will check out the shop mentioned several times opposite kiss food on SSCC. Why would we need the piece that straightens the whirley? It's not like wind blows straight horizontal. Can anyone here make a claim as to why this is needed?

Perhaps the squeaky one my neighbor got has been fixed cause I was looking at it just yesterday and it was spinning and silent. I'm just worried about the lack of sealed bearings that another poster mentioned. If they last several years then I guess that's all that matters.

Now my neighbor put in vents in his gypsum ceiling as we have recessed ceilings and can be done without really being seen. He seemed to have good reason for doing so (he did all the work himself) but he has since passed and his wife is not the one to prime for good info. Do I need to put some vents to allow air from inside the house to enter the attic and been vented of if just having vents in the roof for entry and the whirley for exit enough to keep the house cool. After some reading it seems that just cooling the attic is enough to keep the inside of the house from getting heated. However, I could understand having the vents in the ceiling to create more airflow inside the house as well. What are your guy's thoughts on this. I noticed Pauljones has a picture of a vent.

there are two main reasons why the Whirly should be fixed straight. one is seapage during heavy rain, especially on a roof with a steep slope and the other one is not to put an uneven load on the bearing.

The guy that is across from Kiss does the installing himself, or someone working for him. The plate that the whirly is mounted on, is the same profile as the roof tile, so that shouldnt be a problem, if its installed just like the other tiles, so he takes on tile out, and puts this plate in its place, hope he puts some chalking compound under it. My house is not too big, so I think I will just install one whirly, and put some vents under the eves, for the new air to come in. If its still too hot, than can always install another, at the other end of the house. I understand that the whirly should be installed on the down side of the wind, but not sure of that. He said "no problem", if the whirly is not straight, but I dont go for it, better to have the added piece to make it straight.

• Like 1

Pauljones: If you don't mind, did you do the installation of that fan? Where did you get the fan?

Naam: you kinda did something similar, right? A "whole house" fan that you turn on in the am to draw the cool air inside.

I had a guy come out to give me a quote. He said my roof wouldn't support the whirlybird. I have a steel beam installation. Oh well....

Hey Jayman, that installation looks lousy. Doesnt it leak, and who did the work? It looks like the whirly is just setting on top of the tiles, not under the tile row above. I dont see how it can not leak, unless there is a ton of sealer under it. The angle doesnt look too bad, but I dont know. My roof is much steeper, so I will need the extra fitting.

I thought this would be a simple topic, but there is much more to this than I expected. I just dont want a leak, or it blown off in the first big storm.

The guy that is across from Kiss does the installing himself, or someone working for him. The plate that the whirly is mounted on, is the same profile as the roof tile, so that shouldnt be a problem, if its installed just like the other tiles, so he takes on tile out, and puts this plate in its place, hope he puts some chalking compound under it. My house is not too big, so I think I will just install one whirly, and put some vents under the eves, for the new air to come in. If its still too hot, than can always install another, at the other end of the house. I understand that the whirly should be installed on the down side of the wind, but not sure of that. He said "no problem", if the whirly is not straight, but I dont go for it, better to have the added piece to make it straight.

Kind of funny, I went there a few days ago and he told me he only sell, but got other people to do installation, and for the two 22", I was quoted 7,800 baht with installation, Hmm, I was told differently, interesting.

Gotcha Phil, I didnt notice your post. You said it right, but maybe different installers do it differently. I think it has to be installed just as if it was a tile, not thrown on top.

Craigt, I cant understand that the normal roof will not support a whirly, since all roofs seem to be built the same. Maybe he knows something we dont know!

BTW, I dont know about the whirlys, but just came back from KISS, and the food was terrible! Tom Yum Kung, and spagetti. Not the first time I have been there, maybe the last.