• Topics

• Latest posts...

1. 26

Famous Singer Tik Shiro Involved in Fatal Bangkok Car Accident, Two Dead

2. 0

Survivors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki Awarded Nobel Peace Prize for Nuclear Disarmament

3. 0

Controversy Surrounds Guardian Review of Oct 7 Documentary on Hamas Massacre

4. 0

Unlikely Justice for Victims of Novichok Poisoning, Says Former PM Theresa May

5. 0

The Growing Influence of the US Far Right on Ireland's Extremist Movements

6. 0

Boris Johnson Hints at Potential Return to Front-Line Politics

7. 0

Pro-Palestinian ‘mob-rule tactics’ Force Postponement of Braverman’s Cambridge Speech

8. 0

Taylor Swift Donates $5 Million to Hurricane Relief Efforts

9. 0

Honeymoon Period Over for Kamala Harris Polls Show Tight Race

10. 0

DeSantis Pushes Back on Climate Change’s Role in Stronger Storms

11. 0

German Politician Calls for Ban on Greta Thunberg Over Pro-Palestinian Protest Involvement

12. 0

U.S. Seeks to Weaken Hezbollah’s Grip on Lebanon Amid Israeli Offensive

13. 0

YouTuber and BBC Star Yung Filly Arrested in Australia Over Alleged Hotel Rape

Roof Ventilation

Dirk_brijs

Hey Jayman, that installation looks lousy. Doesnt it leak, and who did the work? It looks like the whirly is just setting on top of the tiles, not under the tile row above. I dont see how it can not leak, unless there is a ton of sealer under it. The angle doesnt look too bad, but I dont know. My roof is much steeper, so I will need the extra fitting.

I thought this would be a simple topic, but there is much more to this than I expected. I just dont want a leak, or it blown off in the first big storm.

I will ask my neighbors for more details re who did the work and if they have any leakage issues and post the results.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jayman,

That installation photo isn't done by the guys opposite Kiss, that is so wrong.

I will photo mine tomorrow, it is late now & I may have trouble finding the front door, so forget the whirly thingy.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Well I will certainly be stopping by the place you recommended opposite Kiss foods in the coming days. Thanks again mate.

I had a guy come out to give me a quote. He said my roof wouldn't support the whirlybird. I have a steel beam installation. Oh well....

Craig, I think you didn't talk to the right guy. I've seen your house and it's certainly as solid as the houses in my village and at least 3 houses here have the whirlybirds installed. Big 22" ones afaics.

The installations look just like the picture jayman posted, the whirly on a plate that's profiled to sort-of fit with the roof tiles, but it still looks like a plate slapped on top of the roof and the whirly is not straight up but at a bit of an angle, maybe 5-10 degrees. It just doesn't look that well installed.

I'm looking forward to see ROBINPATTAYA's picture!.

Pauljones: If you don't mind, did you do the installation of that fan? Where did you get the fan?

Naam: you kinda did something similar, right? A "whole house" fan that you turn on in the am to draw the cool air inside.

I had a guy come out to give me a quote. He said my roof wouldn't support the whirlybird. I have a steel beam installation. Oh well....

i have a whole-house fan, an attic fan and a few ceiling exhaust fans Craig. each of the tree types has a different function.

-the whole-house fan is used in the very early morning hours to replace all inside air with fresh air within a few minutes. during the cool season (outside temp <25ºC) this fan is run for several hours (~04.00 till sunrise) not only for cool fresh air but to cool down inside walls and floors.

-there is the attic fan which has only one function, namely to get rid of heat in the attic.

-and i have, beside the exhaust fans in the bathrooms ceiling exhausts fans (low wattage ~30w) which run day and night in three rooms because these are the rooms in which the ruthless, good-for-nothing not health-minded husband of my wife smokes Marlboros and Habanas sick.gif

• Like 1

I had a guy come out to give me a quote. He said my roof wouldn't support the whirlybird. I have a steel beam installation. Oh well...

you should talk to real people Craig, not clowns who talk rubbish!

Craig, I think you didn't talk to the right guy. I've seen your house and it's certainly as solid as the houses in my village and at least 3 houses here have the whirlybirds installed. Big 22" ones afaics.

The installations look just like the picture jayman posted, the whirly on a plate that's profiled to sort-of fit with the roof tiles, but it still looks like a plate slapped on top of the roof and the whirly is not straight up but at a bit of an angle, maybe 5-10 degrees. It just doesn't look that well installed.

I'm looking forward to see ROBINPATTAYA's picture!.

That's what I thought! He had a shop on Suk with whirlybirds out front. I had him stop by and he said "no way"!! Guess I'd better ask another shop!!

-and i have, beside the exhaust fans in the bathrooms ceiling exhausts fans (low wattage ~30w) which run day and night in three rooms because these are the rooms in which the ruthless, good-for-nothing not health-minded husband of my wife smokes Marlboros and Habanas sick.gif

I agree with your wife on the Marlboros...but the Habanas!!! A man's gotta have some fun!!!biggrin.png

That's what I thought! He had a shop on Suk with whirlybirds out front. I had him stop by and he said "no way"!! Guess I'd better ask another shop!!

he was a racist Craig. doesn't install Whirlies for Farangs.

• Like 1

This last month I had two whirlybirds installed in my tile roof and the cost was mid 5k in Chiang Mai. Bought the things from a busy hardware shop on a major street that had them on display on their overhang. They gave me discounted prices on hedge trimmers and other garden gadgets previously and I think some price reduction on the whirlybirds with installation quoted above.

No leakage and the things really do work. On days when there is absolutley no breeze, neighbors whirlybirds turn due to the heat rising principle so I can confirm breeze is not necessary to make them turn.. I also have a roof that is staggered, that is four overlaping roofs which are common in Thailand. Each V shaped roof with tiles have triagular vent panels at each end and vents in the overhangs to allow inflow of air.

None the less, the wirlybirds did make a difference in the coolness of the house. For the money involved, I think most have nothing to lose if they install them, more so if you can have them placed where they are not visable as you approach the house.

Stainless steel is the way to go.

• Like 2

I had two installed from a shop on soi siam cc also. There are many shops but this one is on the north side and they have a brake. So you know they are making their own gutters. Also they have the vents on display in front of their shop. Mine are installed so they are vertical and under the roof tiles. No leaks or noise in two years.

• Like 1

On days when there is absolutley no breeze, neighbors whirlybirds turn due to the heat rising principle so I can confirm breeze is not necessary to make them turn.

that is correct. but correct is also that without breeze the "whirly" hampers the flow/exchange of hot attic with ambient cooler air. a simple opening with rain protection would do better. i'm only mentioning that fact because once i had a hard time with a technical ignorant (Farang general building contractor who possesses a wealth of no idea laugh.png ) who did not, and still does not, believe me.

On days when there is absolutley no breeze, neighbors whirlybirds turn due to the heat rising principle so I can confirm breeze is not necessary to make them turn.

that is correct. but correct is also that without breeze the "whirly" hampers the flow/exchange of hot attic with ambient cooler air. a simple opening with rain protection would do better. i'm only mentioning that fact because once i had a hard time with a technical ignorant (Farang general building contractor who possesses a wealth of no idea laugh.png ) who did not, and still does not, believe me.

I'm in the US now. Near Vegas. It's hot here in the summers. And I've yet to see a whirlybird. Here in our house, they have roof tiles interspersed around that vent hot air. Ridge vents are also quite popular. But no whirlybirds....

• Well, some people think whirlys are only for industrial buildings, so maybe thats why LV doesnt have any. There are many ways to cool a house, im just looking for the most efficient and cheap, if it may look a bit ugly for some, thats their problem. I cannot afford to have the air con working 24h, and its stupid anyway.

I'm in the US now. Near Vegas. It's hot here in the summers. And I've yet to see a whirlybird. Here in our house, they have roof tiles interspersed around that vent hot air. Ridge vents are also quite popular. But no whirlybirds....

We have a long way before (thai standard) insulation and cooling becomes remotely close to usa standards

I'm fairly certain we had a whirley on the warehouse I rented in LV that was just off of the strip and Desert Inn. If course, it had no AC and just a swamp cooler and got quite uncomfortable in there.

Sample of my installation

thanks for the picture. It doesn't look like you have the piece to make it more vertical do you? I'm gonna go with that install with the guys you recommended. It sounds like they know what they are doing.

Thanks again for all the info.

thanks for the picture. It doesn't look like you have the piece to make it more vertical do you? I'm gonna go with that install with the guys you recommended. It sounds like they know what they are doing.

it looks vertical

• Like 1

it looks vertical

Does it? I guess I don't see the piece that they are charging an extra 1000thb for to accomplish that. Also Robinpattaya stated he paid only 3000thb. Maybe robinpattaya can come and clarify.

it looks vertical

Does it? I guess I don't see the piece that they are charging an extra 1000thb for to accomplish that. Also Robinpattaya stated he paid only 3000thb. Maybe robinpattaya can come and clarify.

Looking at his roof i believe we live in the same village. His vent looks almost identical to mine. If you look at the piece between the roof tile and the silver vent (the transistion) it is high in the front and low in the back this levels the vent.

it looks vertical

Looking at his roof i believe we live in the same village. His vent looks almost identical to mine. If you look at the piece between the roof tile and the silver vent (the transistion) it is high in the front and low in the back this levels the vent.

Ok.. The picture is so small and from that angle it's hard for me to see what's going on there. It sounds like he has a good setup and got it from a good seller/installer. I am interested if there is more detail he can give to help me get a similar setup. Another poster commented that when they went to his suggested location that there was some addon piece that was being sold to make it more vertical and that was an added fee of 1000thb so that is why I'm asking for clarification.

Thanks again for all the

Ok.. The picture is so small and from that angle it's hard for me to see what's going on there. It sounds like he has a good setup and got it from a good seller/installer. I am interested if there is more detail he can give to help me get a similar setup. Another poster commented that when they went to his suggested location that there was some addon piece that was being sold to make it more vertical and that was an added fee of 1000thb so that is why I'm asking for clarification.

if i remember i will go by the shop and snap a pic then you can go and get a price....Maybe they have different prices for different roof styles or locations...

Edited by yankee99

it looks vertical

This looks like as vertical as it can get.The pice under the " swirl " that isn't shining is in my opinion the extra piece.

Guys,

My first 2 cost 3000 each & the last one was 3500, maybe a discount for 2 or another example of a farang copping it up the clacker again on the last one. I had them spray the bit that evens out the angle (pitch) of the roof to make it vertical, that is why it isnt clearly visable. If you click on the pic it can be enlarged.

Cheers

Edited by ROBINPATTAYA

Robinpattaya, thanks for the photo, but it's really tiny. Any chance you could post a full size picture, possible a bit more from the side? I'd really like to see the workmanship for this installation as I'm contemplating using the same guy for my house. You know how it's like here, they all say they're doing super work and most of them don't, but you don't know until they're done.

The tiles in the photo are flat, so that is an easier installation. Seen one or two more shops on Soi Siam today, but didnt have time to stop. Will go again this afternoon and check them out, see what the quality looks like. If the price is 500 difference here or there, thats no problem, more a question of quality and installation workmanship that is important. I would like to take the whirly home and have it painted, the same colour as the roof, before they install it. Stainless sounds good, but I would hate to that that catching the eye of everyone in the estate, including me, I hate gaudy stainless, and its everywhere.