Why Is It So Difficult To Find A Good Friend In Thailand

thequietman

I agree with much of what BB has to say, but, in my experience if you offer to take someone to lunch it is generally understood that you are offering to pay.

In my experience if you offer to take a Thai lady out to lunch it is generally understood that you are offering to pay, and she is agreeing to sex after.

What a load of crap. BUT, l obviously mix in different circles than yourself eh. rolleyes.gif .

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the Falang who come to live in Thailand are not the cream of the crop of society, this would explain why it is so hard if you are a decent person to find good friends . Luckily for me I have never really enjoyed having male friends, and am happy enough in the company of my girlfriend, other ladies or myself.

"...not the cream of the crop of society" - 100's of posts seem to prove this correct. Sad situation.

Hmmm....perhaps a sadder reflection of their respective cultures. The developed ones.whistling.gif

I spent enough time working and dealing with oddballs and tossers day in, day out , to last a lifetime here

thumbsup.gif

so,you were a accountant then ? rolleyes.gif

I'd assumed he was a professional cricketer, using trade jargon.

I've worked in a number of different trades over the years..one of my favourite sayings.."there's always one at every site"..tossers that is

And no, has nothing to do with cricketthumbsup.gifsmile.png

I agree with much of what BB has to say, but, in my experience if you offer to take someone to lunch it is generally understood that you are offering to pay.

In my experience if you offer to take a Thai lady out to lunch it is generally understood that you are offering to pay, and she is agreeing to sex after.

thats my understanding of it as well ,dinner ,coffee , cinema ,drinks = as much sex as you want

a fair exchange .......

I get the feeling that most of the guys I see around in the day around my place are noobs or just weirdo's. They act sheepish and appear to be lost or uncomfortable. Like one poster commented - they look at the floor. I saw some guy in Big C yesterday staring about the mall for about half hour. When I went up he was staring about and when I came down - there he was.

Then there are the guys who might want to feel in with the in-crowd, but they are clearly (sex) tourists. Dress, demeanor or the dark skinned girl in 4inch heels is sort of a giveaway. I do not need this association. There is absolutely nothing this person can do for me aside from handing me cash money.

bangkokburning, it sound like you on the game? why are you surprised that no-one wants to make eye contact or meet hustlers like you?

If you crave the company of people of you own race, then you are living in the wrong place.

Get out an get to know the local people, find out what they do and how they think...............

• Like 2

I get the feeling that most of the guys I see around in the day around my place are noobs or just weirdo's. They act sheepish and appear to be lost or uncomfortable. Like one poster commented - they look at the floor. I saw some guy in Big C yesterday staring about the mall for about half hour. When I went up he was staring about and when I came down - there he was.

Then there are the guys who might want to feel in with the in-crowd, but they are clearly (sex) tourists. Dress, demeanor or the dark skinned girl in 4inch heels is sort of a giveaway. I do not need this association. There is absolutely nothing this person can do for me aside from handing me cash money.

bangkokburning, it sound like you on the game? why are you surprised that no-one wants to make eye contact or meet hustlers like you?

I'm with you on this one, I'm a little bit amazed at bangkokburning. In fact I cannot believe he wrote that post, I think he is needing to sit down and dissect it while holding a mirror.

A stunning piece of unintended personal commentary. Unbelievable.

Whatever -

First to the lunch. Of course I was paying, he asked to be certain so he could order something more expensive - and did!

I guess I am misanthopic, I have no idea what sort of introspection I am supposed to have for you.

Thailand has long since lost its edge and to this end, any idiot with B50k can "live the dream". Case in point the guy recently deported for solicting a proper BKK woman in the street. That is just psycho thinking.

I think I hit a nerve more than anything else. In 20 years I have never asked anyone out here for a baht. I often tell scamsters that hit me up - well, time to go home! I think you have misinterpreted my comment.

Edited by bangkokburning

dont know about that, to me he reads like a Bangkok version of an LA noir novel.

seems you have missed the point entirely.

It is quite the opposite. he is uninterested in meeting you.

Edited by nocturn
  • Like 1

I'm with you on this one, I'm a little bit amazed at bangkokburning. In fact I cannot believe he wrote that post, I think he is needing to sit down and dissect it while holding a mirror.

A stunning piece of unintended personal commentary. Unbelievable.

i disagree, having lived in Bangkok for a while now, i have this attitude towards many i meet, I simply do not have time or energy to spare for the transients.

I am far from a misanthrope, merely selective.

So, after 18 pages of replies, some open offers and a bucketload of advice my question for this thread is;

Is thequieteman any closer to finding a friend?

quite the opposite i would think, he was far to busy being glibly political on the "You Know it is Hot in Thailand" thread to be socially interacting.

• Like 1

Hadn't thought of that. It's a bit harsh but he may well be a Nigel.

I wonder if he plays piano accordion.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Ray French: "There's no point in speculating"

Alan Rooney: "No, none at all"

though in that case, they were talking about the identity of 'the man upstairs'; they thought it might be Steve Ganson.

SC

Perhaps QM could take an interest in a lively and entertaining sport, and watch it with fellow afficionados somewhere, and a greater level of shared interest may be developed in sociable surroundings. He could invite those around him to join him in related excursions. In such vein, I look forward to seeing him at the Selangor Club in four weeks' time, when I hope Thailand will meet Malaysia in the Division Two Asian rugby final.

(see you I made that seem relevant to the thread...?)

Edited by StreetCowboy

though in that case, they were talking about the identity of 'the man upstairs'; they thought it might be Steve Ganson.

SC

Perhaps QM could take an interest in a lively and entertaining sport, and watch it with fellow afficionados somewhere, and a greater level of shared interest may be developed in sociable surroundings. He could invite those around him to join him in related excursions. In such vein, I look forward to seeing him at the Selangor Club in four weeks' time, when I hope Thailand will meet Malaysia in the Division Two Asian rugby final.

None of that. Don't make me come after you again.

I think we should chip in and get something to cheer him up.

One of these maybe.

http://demotivators.despair.com/demotivational/lonelinessdemotivator.jpg

One of these maybe.

http://demotivators....demotivator.jpg

"Cheer up" they said. "Things could be worse"

So I did, and they were.

We never seem to know when its time to give up, until long after.

SC

Well he could always take up a sport ...

I was going to take this on a completely different tangent till I spied this ...

Maybe we can identify a few of the posters here on this clip?

Do watch the above clip ... it's ridiculous and funny in it's own right.

Fire on the poop deck!

Edited by David48

dont know about that, to me he reads like a Bangkok version of an LA noir novel.

But seems so interested in telling us all about how much he is uninterested.

But seems so interested in telling us all about how much he is uninterested.

you mean by responding directly to the question asked by the OP?

Whatever -

First to the lunch. Of course I was paying, he asked to be certain so he could order something more expensive - and did!

I guess I am misanthopic, I have no idea what sort of introspection I am supposed to have for you.

Thailand has long since lost its edge and to this end, any idiot with B50k can "live the dream". Case in point the guy recently deported for solicting a proper BKK woman in the street. That is just psycho thinking.

I think I hit a nerve more than anything else. In 20 years I have never asked anyone out here for a baht. I often tell scamsters that hit me up - well, time to go home! I think you have misinterpreted my comment.

50k would last me about a week in bkk ,i dont "hang around malls" looking to meet lonely farangs like yourself

If i am even in a shopping mall ,its normally to meet a woman ,id be waiting for her,not looking for a chance so i could make conversation with YOU !

No, just my organ............ occasionally.

You know the OP then. giggle.gif Perhaps should move this to another forum eh. smile.png

SC

One of these maybe.

http://demotivators....demotivator.jpg

http://www.searchquotes.com/quotation/It%27s_the_people_who_try_to_be_clever_who_never_are%3B_the_people_who_are_clever_never_think_of_trying_/140803/

So, after 18 pages of replies, some open offers and a bucketload of advice my question for this thread is;

Is thequieteman any closer to finding a friend?

Well, i've also read the bulk of this thread and all i can say is...if you had friends similiar to Thaivisa members, who'd need enemies??whistling.gif

After 18 pages, no matter how you debate it, it is hard to meet people in general. It is even harder in Thailand as a foreigner primarily due to the fact that there are a tremendous amount of damaged goods people here ranging from alcoholics, delusional sexpats, runners from their home country, drug abusers, Pedo's and social misfits. I am in no way saying that there are not normal folks here in TL living out a clean happy socially normal life, I am just saying it takes a lot more work screening out the DB's.

I to this day have not figured out the the guys who seem to be annoyed that another foreigner is in "their" store, "their" neighborhood, "their" condo complex. Its interesting to watch their body english when they see you.

• Like 1

After 18 pages, no matter how you debate it, it is hard to meet people in general. It is even harder in Thailand as a foreigner primarily due to the fact that there are a tremendous amount of damaged goods people here ranging from alcoholics, delusional sexpats, runners from their home country, drug abusers, Pedo's and social misfits. I am in no way saying that there are not normal folks here in TL living out a clean happy socially normal life, I am just saying it takes a lot more work screening out the DB's.

I to this day have not figured out the the guys who seem to be annoyed that another foreigner is in "their" store, "their" neighborhood, "their" condo complex. Its interesting to watch their body english when they see you.

Maybe that body language stems from an underlying feeling that you may be from some law enforcement agency and someone may be getting close.