Travelled To India Recently?

simple1

I am considering travelling around India for 2/3 months and would appreciate pro/con on travelling with Thai wife/GF staying in two/three star hotels. My wife likes Indian food, but is concerned about the hygine e.g. is it true that people deficate in the street? Thinking of going to the Himalayan foothills (Utter Pradesh?) Goa, Kerala, Pondicherry, Rajasthan, Taj Mahal, any other destination recommendations or is the intinery too crowded?

staying in two/three star hotels

that might be a problem. you find quite a number of freaking expensive 5-star hotels and a zillion ½-star hotels in which i wouldn't let my dogs stay overnight. anything in between you have to search with a magnifying glass.

Sounds like a great trip. My wife and I did something similar in India a few years back and had a great time.

Yes there were unpalatable situations which we were unaccustomed to and learned very quickly to avoid them where possible.

I found the people particularly in Goa and Kerala to be great, very hospitable and welcoming.

I will send you a link for starters by PM and you can do some research from there.

Have a great time.

I worked in Bangalore last year and my family were with me , I can recommend a few hotels in that area - it's true about the deficating in the street - but here in Los I see men pissing in the roads on a daily basis.

Edited by chonabot

When you book your hotels make certain they have exceptional bathrooms; preferably with a TV installed as this is where you will spend most of your time. Over the last 14 years we have had several port projects in Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh making it necessary for me to travel there on a regular basis. Out of dozens of trips I cannot remember one time I did not get sick, and this is eating only at 5 star hotels. Personally I would rather vacation in hell than India. If you have never been there before, I would suggest you take a trial run at it first with a short trip as you may find somewhat of an anaphylaxis response from the Thai GF upon arriving in India. Our engineering teams are made up of multinational races. I would regularly deal with mutinies from the Thai engineers. We all have personal likes and dislikes, and you may end-up disagreeing with me completely. I would just caution against a 2 to 3 month commitment without "testing the waters" first. Also, go to the pharmacy and buy a case of those little green and white Imodium packages, it will be invaluable.

Edited by KHR1010

I worked in Bangalore last year and my family were with me , I can recommend a few hotels in that area - it's true about the deficating in the street - but here in Los I see men pissing in the roads on a daily basis.

But it won't be compulsory for you to do it also.

India is one of those places that you immediately either love or hate.

If you love it you'll enjoy your 2/3 months (I travelled around for 4 months), if you hate it you'll be back in Thailand within a week.

Edited by PattayaParent
  • Like 2

The Best thing to do is to Get a Tour package with one of the travel Agencies here in Thailand. That way you do not have to worry about anything about food, accomodation etc. You can ditch the plan of travel company or traveling with them in India, but u might wanna use their boarding adn loadging facilities as it will be difficult for you to arrange.

In every country the touts are always on the look out for the tourist, so they can get some extra green stuff out from their pockets.

PM me if you need more details. I am from India and been here for more than 10 years now.

Get a couple good guide books, do some research of your own on the internet. Go to the WHO travel advisories and/or the CIA country guides. So much information available, why ask a few TV posters for the information you want. Everyone will have their own stories (truths or exagerations) to tell.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_1764.html

http://search.who.int/search?q=India&ie=utf8&site=default_collection&client=_en&proxystylesheet=_en&output=xml_no_dtd&oe=utf8

http://www.indiahotels.com/

Can tell you this time of year is super hot from my travels to Northern India and Kashmir. Be careful of the heat and heat exhaution, and food sanitation. Stay at International chain hotels if you can afford it. If not, check out the rooms before you stay.

Will plan a trip to Jaipur for the cooler season.

I did a 4 week trip there several years ago. Had a fantastic time. But, I hired a car and a driver. It was a package deal for Rajasthan and the Taj that included the hotel, breakfast and dinner every day. The driver was great and very flexible. He also knew where to eat and where not to eat. What hotel was good and which one was bad. I had ZERO problems and enjoyed it immensely. I met others who were doing this via train and their horror stories were unreal. Bad food, bad hotels and hordes of touts at the trains stations upon their arrival. This guy even knew where to get beer!! A god send after a long day of driving and being a tourist.

I still stay in touch with him if you are interested. The price was extremely reasonable. I would love to do it again. A fantastic experience. Overwhelming at times, but worth the trip.

But it won't be compulsory for you to do it also.

If you love it you'll enjoy your 2/3 months (I travelled around for 4 months), if you hate it you'll be back in Thailand within a week.

Quoted for truth.

I am from India - lived there until 2006 and visit almost every year. There are some crazy things about it but everyone either loves it or hates it, not much middle ground.

Food poisoning can happen, make sure you eat at places where there is a huge crowd at most times. This can be a restaurant or a roadside stall. But make sure that you avoid the ones that look deserted. The rest is all fate tongue.png You'll want to avoid meat as much as possible but don't worry, there's a lot of vegetarian food everywhere and it's freaking delicious. In most cities, you'll find McDonalds/Dominos pizza, etc where you can have your meat fix if necessary. But remember- most of them don't serve beef products so you'll have to make do with chicken.

Seems like the places you have mentioned are all up North except for Goa. Since this is your first trip, make sure you plan ahead. If you love it there, you can extend your stay and go on your own adventure. If you don't love it, you can finish up your trip without worrying about any further planning.

EDIT - of course if you're going to Goa, make sure you have some seafood curry :)

Edited by Neha
  • Like 1

Get a couple good guide books, do some research of your own on the internet. Go to the WHO travel advisories and/or the CIA country guides. So much information available, why ask a few TV posters for the information you want. Everyone will have their own stories (truths or exagerations) to tell.

http://travel.state....tw/tw_1764.html

http://search.who.in..._no_dtd&oe=utf8

http://www.indiahotels.com/

Can tell you this time of year is super hot from my travels to Northern India and Kashmir. Be careful of the heat and heat exhaution, and food sanitation. Stay at International chain hotels if you can afford it. If not, check out the rooms before you stay.

Will plan a trip to Jaipur for the cooler season.

I did it with just a copy of Lonely Planet India.

Spent a total of few years traveling and working in India, some with my Thai wife.

Like some people said, it's not for everyone, but certainly a powerful experience.

As Naam mentioned, getting a decent mid-range accommodation is a pain - most are either over-priced or just plain rubbish. Low cost used to be almost as good an option until a few years back, but then the economy picked up and I got older :-). High end hotels are expensive, and even then there will usually be something...odd (like a worker coming armed with a hammer to fix the AC).

Indian food abroad is generally better quality than what you get in country. Drinks are a sad sad issue as well.

Hygiene...umm, better leave some preconceived notions behind and go with an open mind. No way of dealing with it otherwise :-). People do their business in the street, yes, but it's not the rule. Just more than you would see elsewhere. Then again, the cows are at it and they're holy so it's all good.

Treat like a circus show or a white knuckle ride and you'll be fine. Trying to change it to your point of view is useless.

Planning your trip you need to consider weather - hot season is a pain, monsoon makes it harder to travel (and even unsafe in some areas). Distances should be factored in as well (better to sort transportation ahead, when possible).

Your itinerary does take you all over the place, but given the time frame, sounds ok. I'd give Pondicherry a miss, though. Not exactly a must. A few other places I like are Varanasi, Sikkim, Darjeeling and Ladakh, but those will take you off course.

All of the above depends on your budget and how much you'll come to like it - as some said, keep an option to call it off or hole down in some place you really like while dropping others.

Hope you'll have a memorable trip :-)

^You've been away too long Neha, you've forgotten your geography, Kerala and Pondicherry are in the south also

Oops, you are right. Seems I skimmed over part of the post - saw it as "Utter pradesh, goa, rajasthan, taj mahal" hahha! Talk about selective reading. I made the comment about the North and then Goa because it seemed like Goa was out of the way. Of course Kerela and Pondicherry are a great idea and would make it seem like more of India is covered, but I would advise the OP that it's too much to do in 2/3 months. I reckon if Uttar Pradesh/Himachal Pradesh/Rajasthan alone could take up all of that time depending on how old one is and what kind of traveling is desired. If OP just wants to see touristy spots and retire to the hotel room (which is totally fine and a personal preference of course) then 2/3 months would be sufficient.

Dharamsala, Ladakh, Leh, Kasol, Jaipur are also my recommendations up north. :) Cheap jewellery, especially silver and some stones are available in Jaipur -your wife might like that a lot. I know all the farang ladies go crazy for it (as do I). There are also lots of old monuments to see there.

It is a long long time since I used a 6 month IndrailPass however it is worth looking at. The higher classes provide acceptable beds as you travel comfortably from one side of the country to the other. I would love to know how many mile we traveled.

I'd like to add one more thing. I hope you have acquired some haggling skills while living in Thailand because you will need them in India. Whether it's a roadside shop selling souvenirs or an air-conditioned shop selling clothing material, if you don't see a price tag, then the shopkeeper will most likely give you a number at least 2x as much as the item actually costs. When you hear this number, just say you will pay 50% of whatever is quoted to you. If they agree without much convincing, try taking the number down a little more.

More often than not, they will say no but they might ask you how many items you want to buy - the more you buy, the cheaper it will be. Also, try walking away and they will call out to you and offer a lower price.

Personally in the Indian cities I wouldn't stay in under 4 star accommodation as in my opinion their 4 star is equivalent to 2/3 star in Thailand. As India is vast; a good way of getting around is by train and there are Indrail passes which are useful if you are going to quite a few areas. Information on this on http://www.indianrail.gov.in/international_Tourist.html

As for where to go, it all depends on what appeals to you and your wife. Northern India is completely different from the south as is the east from the west. On the west coast you have Goa an ex Portugease colony with many foreign tourists and the sea; Move southwards you have Kerala with the Periyar sanctuary for wildlife; going further south is Trivandrum with its many temples and if you move up the east coast is Chennai which is the major city of south India. In southern India the people are more polite than the northerners and you will get superb and very cheap vegetarian food. Bangalore is another pliace; originally the computer hub of India and has many pubs. Then there is Kolkata! This is possibly Indias' largest city, vibrant with culture and contrasted against a mix of mass poverty and extreme wealth. I personally love the place but like many Indian cities the filth may not appeal. Kolkata is also the hub for travel to eastern India to the states of Assam, Meghalaya and Arunchal Pradesh. Arunachal is beautiful and has many tribes but I think a special permit is required to enter this state. In Assam you have the Kaziranga wildlife sanctuary and which is famous for rhinos. Assam also has the massive Brahmaputra river which during the monsoon season is a sight to behold. Weather varies in different parts of India and the monsoon months may have a large bearing on travel.. India has hill stations which were areas in higher land created by the Brits as a retreat from the heat of the plains. Look up Simla, Ootacamund and Darjeeling. I am very familiar with Darjeeling and if you fancy it there is a miniature train which goes fthere from the plains (Siliguri). A short distance away from Darjeeling is a place called Tiger Hill where you may be able to see Everest. Try the Windermere hotel in Darjeeling; a very old and established hotel from the days of the raj! Your wife is quite right in thinking the hygiene is not up to much and you should take hand sanitisers, wet tissues and plenty of Immodium. Don't forget the visas.

Many thanks for all the suggestions and tips. I'm currently thinking of planning to travel with my wife for 3/4 weeks, perhaps travelling in the region of Uttar Pradesh/Himachal Pradesh/Rajasthan and then review the situation. I've done some research with the likes Agoda and Tripadvisor and it doesn't look as though hotel accommodation is inexpensive. I know quality will vary enormously, but has anyone used the B&B/homestays in India or based upon your experience is a no no.

One thing I found about food there. Always look for the kind of resturants a normal office worker eats at. In the south the vegetarian ones are little problem. Non veg is more problematic if it is the kind of fancy resturaunt that uses fridges that keep going on and off and the food is kept too long. Basic resturaunts buy meat direct from the market and have it in a strongly boiling pot when they finish the pot they may start a new one. Much more healthy. I second the info re Darjeeling but advise earplugs if you go on the toy train, the whistle is used every few minutes....possibly they employ thai security guys but have a stronger whistle.

Edited by harrry

what about those like me who love and hate India? when i'm in Thailand i love India. when i'm in India i love it for a day or two, then start to hate it and count the days till my flight leaves.

• Like 1

lol @ booking a 3 month trip. your wife will be on the first flight home. she may like Indian food but doubt she can eat it for 3 months straight. also, unless she is past her prime every man will stare at her relentlessly like they have never seen a woman before which will unvaribly make her uncomfortable. i took my wife to Indian town in Singapore which is probably like 1/50th as revolting as the real India and she almost puked when she saw a man scooping curry and rice into his mouth with his hand in the middle of a food court.

Edited by farang000999

^Grab a copy of Lonely Planet India and they'll have a range of hotels listed.

Guidebooks, by nature, are almost always somewhat out of date - LP is no exception.

Much more reliable to check relevant websites which are more updated.

Many thanks for all the suggestions and tips. I'm currently thinking of planning to travel with my wife for 3/4 weeks, perhaps travelling in the region of Uttar Pradesh/Himachal Pradesh/Rajasthan and then review the situation. I've done some research with the likes Agoda and Tripadvisor and it doesn't look as though hotel accommodation is inexpensive. I know quality will vary enormously, but has anyone used the B&B/homestays in India or based upon your experience is a no no.

3-4 weeks and focusing on a smaller area is a much sounder plan.

Weather is a factor as well, so best to plan accordingly.

Our experience with homestays and B&B is a mixed bag: some were great, many were not quite as advertised. Tripadvisor was helpful to some extent, but we did score a few "misses" while using it.

http://www.indiamike.com/ might have some good info too. One thing we did learn is that booking those places is better done directly and by phone.

For flights i will suggest (if you are going north - Delhi) - fly cathay pacific -you will not regret it - excellent service and they really take care. I have been flying them for 3 years now.

"hygine e.g. is it true that people deficate in the street" - I frankly fail to understand - where do thai's get their general knowledge on India? But yes, india has too many folks to look after - and in the slums - ppl head to the field for "kichakaam soon-tua".

Hotels are very expensive in india. You willl need to hunt for serviced apartments - i say google google till you find ! I have seen plenty in Delhi / Bangalore - stayed in a couple in Bangalore. I remember paying about INR 1900 - 2500 per night (in Bangalore) about 2 years back.

Hope this info helps.

I will suggest you to fully book you travel + accomodation before you leave.

Guidebooks, by nature, are almost always somewhat out of date - LP is no exception.

Guide books can be out of date with regards to new hotels, current prices, current transportation options, etc. But they are a great place to plan a trip in terms of what do you want to see. Very hard to do that via websites...especially when you are on the road or walking around looking at places during the day. For example, LP has great day walks listed for many cities. They take you through various parts of town showing all sorts of neat stuff. Worth the expense for sure.

For flights i will suggest (if you are going north - Delhi) - fly cathay pacific -you will not regret it - excellent service and they really take care. I have been flying them for 3 years now.

"hygine e.g. is it true that people deficate in the street" - I frankly fail to understand - where do thai's get their general knowledge on India? But yes, india has too many folks to look after - and in the slums - ppl head to the field for "kichakaam soon-tua".

Hotels are very expensive in india. You willl need to hunt for serviced apartments - i say google google till you find ! I have seen plenty in Delhi / Bangalore - stayed in a couple in Bangalore. I remember paying about INR 1900 - 2500 per night (in Bangalore) about 2 years back.

Hope this info helps.

I will suggest you to fully book you travel + accomodation before you leave.

Wow, prices have gone up since I was ther paying INR 25 a night!!

Guide books can be out of date with regards to new hotels, current prices, current transportation options, etc. But they are a great place to plan a trip in terms of what do you want to see. Very hard to do that via websites...especially when you are on the road or walking around looking at places during the day. For example, LP has great day walks listed for many cities. They take you through various parts of town showing all sorts of neat stuff. Worth the expense for sure.

It also gives you an idea about an area that you want to be looking for a hotel in. It's no good if the 3 star hotel is 10kms out of town when you want to be walking around the middle of town.

In most places I didn't use LP to find a hotel but an area I wanted to be in and looked around for Indian hotels rather than the ones full of backpackers that were carrying LP. If you travel on trains you will meet travelling Indian businessmen who will tell you good Indian hotels, many are near the railway stations.