Iopenbill Storks (Asian Openbills)

isanbirder

Huge black and white birds (well, off-white) feeding on the apple snails in the rice paddies, or soaring, with necks outstretched. Usually in flocks. The name comes from the gap between the upper and lower mandibles, but you have to be fairly close to see that.

There seems to be a bit of an explosion of these this year. I've heard of them as far north as Uttaradit, which is most unusual, and am beginning to hear of records in Isan and Laos.

If you see them, please post here, or give me a pm, with as exact a location as you can.

They're really big; you're not likely to make a mistake.

• Like 2

I know it's not what you're asking for, but as a connected point of interest, I've noticed them moving closer into Bangkok over the last couple of years. Last week, from my condo balcony I could see a few wheeling around over Phrakhanong!

Just drove back from the Roi et area 2 weeks ago and I passed a field with about 50 of these Open Bills. I think it was about 130 Km North East of Pattaya. Sadly, cannot remember a place name.

Whilst I was up in Roi et, I saw what I believe was a very large Vulture 10 km South East of Selephum. I have seen large eagles before but this bird had the classic splayed wing tip feathers so I am sure it was a Vulture. I lost sight of it when it obviously saw food a long way off and went into a long slow straight line dive. I've seen many Vultures in, Africa, India and Brazil so in my mind I am right. Any one else see one ?

The bird books say they exist but are getting rare - in fact over the last 20 odd years 99% of Vultures in S.E. Asia have died off due to Veternary Diclofenic in cattle and better animal husbandary resulting in a lack of corpses.

Edited by lonewolf99

Yeah you are right. Sansai Chiangmai and yesterday i saw a very large flock (50) flying around. It is the first time I have seen these birds in this area. Been here 11 years. Get plenty of herons in but not these.

Yeah you are right. Sansai Chiangmai and yesterday i saw a very large flock (50) flying around. It is the first time I have seen these birds in this area. Been here 11 years. Get plenty of herons in but not these.

Thanks. That really comes as a surprise; I lived in Chiangmai for 17 years, and never saw any there.

Thanks indeed. It's always nice to see photos when something turns up in an unusual place!

I gather Chiangmai is pretty rainy at the moment; the rains haven't reached us here in Buriram, so the paddy is still too dry for Openbills.

• 2 weeks later...

No storks yet, but after the recent rains the paddies here are flooded, and you may see one of Thailand's most beautiful birds, the Black-winged Stilt., feeding in the shallow areas. Slender, elegant black-and-white birds, with small heads, needle-like black bills, and long pink legs which trail behind them in flight. Usually in small parties.

No picture needed; they stick out like the proverbial sore thumb.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Over the last few weeks I have had to travel back and forth several times to BKK from Jomtien on both Highway 7 and the old Western one (number 3 ?) any way ...all the way up and down I saw Open Bills.. hundreds of them. They seem to be everywhere in numbers I have not seen in the last 6 years I have been in Thailand. I also spotted in open stretches of water what appear to be black ducks. They are fairly small and I only saw what could be called a pair once. They seem to be solitary. They were too far off to get a sense of colour or markings. I've looked at a couple of books and found nothing resembling them. In Europe it would be a small Scoter ? I see there is a small Grebe here but the necks were too short and thick and head too rounded for it to be them.

Other than that the skies are getting more filled with birds and sadly many of them are crapping on my balcony. I Hope the bird life will increase and it might be down to western diets creeping into the local population and the lizards and insects will get a chance as well...I am also seeing more bats at nights than before which is a good sign.

Over the last few weeks I have had to travel back and forth several times to BKK from Jomtien on both Highway 7 and the old Western one (number 3 ?) any way ...all the way up and down I saw Open Bills.. hundreds of them. They seem to be everywhere in numbers I have not seen in the last 6 years I have been in Thailand. I also spotted in open stretches of water what appear to be black ducks. They are fairly small and I only saw what could be called a pair once. They seem to be solitary. They were too far off to get a sense of colour or markings. I've looked at a couple of books and found nothing resembling them. In Europe it would be a small Scoter ? I see there is a small Grebe here but the necks were too short and thick and head too rounded for it to be them.

Other than that the skies are getting more filled with birds and sadly many of them are crapping on my balcony. I Hope the bird life will increase and it might be down to western diets creeping into the local population and the lizards and insects will get a chance as well...I am also seeing more bats at nights than before which is a good sign.

I can't really help with the 'black ducks'. The options are Lesser Whistling Teal (the commonest breeding duck), Moorhen, and Little Grebe which you've already rejected. The fact that they are largely solitary argues for Little Grebes.

There is a protected wetlands area just off the 7 (and not far from the 3) that is home to hundreds of Openbill right now, as well as a handful of painted Stork, at least four Darters, and a number of other waders and etc.

As for "Black Ducks," Isanbirder has alreeady pointed out the probabilities. Moorhen a good bet. Fairly common around these parts, as are Little Grebe. Surprisingly, I have thus far only seeen a few Whistling Duck, and those some months ago. I expect more soon, though.

I would expect far more Openbills in suitable habitats within, say, 100 kms of Bangkok, and north as far as Nakorn Sawan (Bung Boraphet), but this year they seem to be common in many places far beyond their usual range. Phitsanulok, Uttaradit and Chiangmai towards the north, Udon in Isaan. But I have yet to hear of any between Udon and my home in Buriram.

• 3 weeks later...

I know it's been a while but open bills have taken up residence behind my house in Phapai. See 40 to 50 per day now. Sat in my office typing this I can see them in the trees outside. Do you know if they would breed up here and at what time of year that would be?

Here is a video i took today. Sorry for some of the video is not that good but could find my tripod. Will find it for next time.

http://adf.ly/CW52H

They breed at Bung Boraphet in Nakorn Sawan and at various locations in the provinces round Bangkok (the famous colony is at Wat Phailom in Pathum Thani).... but this year there are far more than usual, and who knows? Breeding season is October to April.

T-dog, a flock of large white birds will be egrets of one kind or another.