Visa Run Or Extension For A Non-Imm-O

I have a Non-Immigrant-O Visa, based on retirement. It is issued by the Thai-Consulate in Stuttgart/Germany, expiring on May 20th. At May 15th my residence permit (the 90 day stamp) will expire. As I was always leaving the country earlier than 90 days until now, I never made a visa run or an visa-extension.

What will now be the most convenient way for me to proceed? (The costs should be roughly about the same)

1. Travelling from Pattaya to Cambodia to obtain a new 90 days stamp? In July I will return to Germany anyway and can apply for a new visa. This can be even done via mail. In October and January I will be abroad from Thailand again. That's why I will just face this situation again in May 2013.
  2. Extending the visa here (Jomtien). In this case I would apply for multiple re-entry and assume, that I don't need a re-entry stamp each time, I'm leaving the kingdom.

As mentioned before, I'm not experienced in either of the two options. I'm living in Thailand, and have enough money in my account - other documents were never required by the consulate before.

TIA for all your suggestions.

Only if you have a multiple non-O and the visa itself expires on the 20th of may can you make a border run and get a new 90 days.

Alternatively you can visit immigration for a 1 year extension of stay with proof of:

- having 800,000 baht in a bank acocunt in Thailand for 2 month (first time only, after that ir must be 3 months)

OR

- having an income of 65,000 baht a month (can be from abroad and must be certified by your embassy in that case)

OR

- having a combination of yearly income and money in the bank in Thailand, together totaing at least 800,000 baht.

and some porof of address

An extension of stay costs 1,900 baht and you would need a re-entry permit to travel abroad and return to Thailand.

Re-entry permit is 1,000 baht (single) or 3,800 (multiple, valid for 1 year)

As you have the money in account (800k in your name) just get a letter from bank and extend one year and then buy multi re-entry permit to allow travel for period of you one year stay. If you stay longer than 90 days you will need to make an address report but that will not be required if you travel often. Cost will be about 200 baht for bank letter, 1,900 baht for extension and 3,800 baht for multi re-entry permit.

Thank you both. I hoped that at least one of you both would advise me.

It will be more convenient to apply for an extension, than spending a day in a minivan, as long as I don't need to ask for a re-entry permission, when I'm leaving the country.

The cost for a new non-imm-visa + postage + visa run would be approximately the same, compared to extension of stay.

You need a re-entry permit. Which you get at the immigration office before you leave. You either get a single for 1,000 baht or buy a multiple (3,800) if you plan more than 3 trips out of Thailand. Most people buy one when the go for their extension of stay.

Once at the border you exit as normal and when you come back to Thailand you enter the number of your re-entry permit instead that of the visa on your arrival card.

Thank you again for your profounded advices. Could you please help me again and let me know what you personally would do in my situation?

It was absolutely correct, that you need to have 800 kTHB in a saving account to apply for the retirement visa. I missed that just by 7 kTHB. Yes lopburi3, the fundbook from SCB is not accepted. (Well, actually it could be accepted if ... - plz let me know, if you are interested in details)

For now, I decided to visit Cambodia and will get another 90 days. That will be enough, regarding that I will return to Germany anyway in July. As I'm living in Thailand, I have two options now.

(1) I will apply in Germany for another Non-Imm-O Visa. No problems about that. They will accept the fund book and it can be done easily by mail.

(2) I will transfer from funds to saving account now, and will apply for the retirement visa, after I come back in August. This is what I prefer. But ... Can I feel safe to get one, since I'm 50+ and will have the 800 kTHB in my saving account for at least 3 months then? Can I return just to TH by the 30 days stamp and apply for the visa here? Will I face any disadvantages by this retirement visa, e.g. when buying a new car etc. where I needed a Non-Imm-O in the past?

From August, I might want to stay more than 90 days in TH again. The costs are roughly the same. What is your appreciated opinion?

The problem with returning without a visa is that you will need a ticket out of Thailand within 30 days, or the airline might not let you board. Some airlines are very stric, some are not.

You could get a single non-O as planned and apply for the extension before you leave for Germany and also get a re-entry permit to keep your permisison alive. Alternatively get a non-O in Germany and if you wish extend that one.

I didn't consider the airline problem, since I'm about to book a return flight Thailand-Germany-Thailand. What a big mistake! So it will be better to apply for a Non-Imm-O, single entry, 90 days in Germany in July (Just 55 Euro + postage) and apply for the retirement visa here, in Thailand, from September.

A very helpful answer! THX

Yes and your money only has to be in the account 60 days for first retirement extension of stay so you could wait until you return to transfer funds into savings account (and then after 60 days do the extension) as it will be a 90 day stay.