Tsunami Remembered In Patong

Phuket Post

Patong’s tsunami commemorative ceremony was marked this morning with a brief visit from Thaksin Shinawatra. The Prime Minister offered his condolences to relatives of the dead and signed the tsunami memorial book. “We have done our best and Phuket has so far recovered,” he said in a brief statement to Thai and foreign press, asking Asian press to spread the word to their readers that the resort island is ready to receive them again. “If tourists can come back, especially Japanese and Korean, we will be happy.”

The island also played host to three other high-ranking government officers. Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Industry, Suriya Jungrungreangkit attended the commemoration at Kamala Beach and Deputy Prime Minister Witsanu Krea-ngam was present at the Mai Khao ceremony.

The ceremony in Patong began with a speech by Pracha Maleenont, Minister of Tourism and Sports, on behalf of the government and Thai people, to the thousand-strong crowd. “The tragic moment that occurred on the morning of December 26 last year will be recorded as among the world’s largest natural catastrophes in the history of mankind.”

“Today one full year has passed and we are all here in this particular place to share our sentiments of love and sympathy... The feelings that we share here remind us that we are not alone,” the minister said. His speech was followed by a minute’s silence for those who had lost their lives in the tsunami.

Mustafe Gumusoglu, flew in from Turkey today specifically to be at this ceremony, and will fly home tomorrow. “My wife and I were here last year,” he said. “We were at Ocean Plaza Patong when the wave came. She died and I was injured.”

Norwegian, Roger Helgeland who lost his wife in the tsunami, brought his two sons to Phuket to participate in the ceremony. Asked what he thought of Phuket’s recovery over the last year, Mr Helgeland said, “Phuket is getting better again.... but not for me at the moment. We will stay for three more weeks, and we will be back here every year.”

Pisamai Plubjedriew said, “My sister, her husband and my two nephews, one is seven and the other is five, were with me that day. The water came in very quickly and I didn’t know what to do. I saw them floating away and I could not help.” Pisamai’s sister did not survive.

Kanoklada Koosakul and Lanat Potipanditsakul brought wreaths to lay at the temporary memorial at Loma Park. The two women work for Patong-based companies, QRI and QVC, and their office was destroyed by the waves. “Luckily, it was Sunday and we were not working at the office,” Lanat said. “We have just finished our new office building at the other end of the beach, near Tri Trang, and will soon start our business again. We have survived but we will always remember the people who died in tsunami.”

The remembrance ceremony did not end well. Tempers flared when foreign and Thai press photographers jostled for position while people queued to lay white roses and flowers at the Loma Park memorial. To applause from the disgusted crowd, one foreign mourner took the stage and lambasted the press for their callous disrespect. “Why don't the police do their jobs? We are here because some of us have lost their daughters and some lost their loved ones. We don't care about pictures in the newspapers!”

http://phuket-post.com/article.phpid=115&p...7a5167d970c2e28