Top Three Things That Brought You To Thailand?

smokie36

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

laugh.png Thanks for the laugh...Although it did make me realize

how many years have past.

30 years ago I moved somewhere basically for the same three reasons.

Except pic number 3 would have looked like this.....

post-51988-0-72717600-1335726847_thumb.j

Now moving to Thailand my reasons are a little different

First time around?

1. Friend's recommendation.

2. Ditched friend, went home after seeing Pattaya.

3. Ditched home after another English 'summer' and came back...

Main reason: warmth

The company I started working for gave me the option. The US or Thailand. I'd been to the States a couple of times and never been to LOS so I thought I'd give it a go.

Nearly 2 decades, 1 of them married and an eight year old daughter. <deleted>? laugh.png

Things that brought me to Thailand

Curiosity - 4 flights around Thailand deal for 12000 baht including flight in from Penang

Why I revisited Thailand

Party lifestyle

Friendly people

Why I have continued involvement with Thailand

Wife and children

Food and climate

relaxing lifestyle

To be continued.....................

These types of discussions on why one moves to Thailand always amaze me with their dishonesty. Come on! There's only one reason people move to Thailand, and its located under your zipper! And I'm not, repeat NOT, saying theres anything wrong with that. The draw could me one particular woman or man or not. But we ALL know what it comes down to. The rest are just justifications.

Someone mentioned culture???? Give me a break! You just love Thai entertainment, music, sports, movies, art SO much better than in your home country. I just don't believe you for half a second.

Edited by FreedomDude

Things that brought me to Thailand:

Pure luck after responding to a 3 line job advert in a National news paper. After interviews followed by a week worth of tests etc as fresh graduate at 22 I along with a handful of others were given a choice between Thailand or Brazil. I chose Thailand on nothing more than a whim, there were no other reasons.

Things that kept me in Thailand:

The work and expat deal

The travel, sightseeing and lifestyle

The friends I’d made who I worked with and lived with

Things that now keep me in Thailand

The work and expat deal

Wife + her family

Friends

Lifestyle

The one thing that would make me move away.

The offer of work and a deal else where which is too good to overlook. If I chose this option I could always come back to my current position and would loose nothing other than time.

Other Comments:

Some of us came here without the idea of chasing women, many of us have lived and existed outside of that ‘singular dimensional box’ for years here. When reading these posts you can spot the type of expat who lives here for more than ‘the one’ reason many allude to, usually by the lack of prejudice, bias and insularity of their posts.

• Like 1

Things that brought me to Thailand:

Pure luck after responding to a 3 line job advert in a National news paper. After interviews followed by a week worth of tests etc as fresh graduate at 22 I along with a handful of others were given a choice between Thailand or Brazil. I chose Thailand on nothing more than a whim, there were no other reasons.

Things that kept me in Thailand:

The work and expat deal

The travel, sightseeing and lifestyle

The friends I’d made who I worked with and lived with

Things that now keep me in Thailand

The work and expat deal

Wife + her family

Friends

Lifestyle

The one thing that would make me move away.

The offer of work and a deal else where which is too good to overlook. If I chose this option I could always come back to my current position and would loose nothing other than time.

Other Comments:

Some of us came here without the idea of chasing women, many of us have lived and existed outside of that ‘singular dimensional box’ for years here. When reading these posts you can spot the type of expat who lives here for more than ‘the one’ reason many allude to, usually by the lack of prejudice, bias and insularity of their posts.

Epic condescension.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

My main reason was a job offer. I went back to the US during the economic crash of 1997. I came back and retired for the warm weather, I absolutely despise ice and snow. I was also interested in finding a Thai wife. It took me ten years to find one who would put up with me but it was well worth the search. It must have been a good choice because more than seven years with her, I'm still happy.

Beaches, mountains and scenic beauty plus the lower cost of living were also important.

Uncle Sam gave me a 21 month job in Bangkok, but it was "volunteer" or else a tour of duty in Vietnam situation. I had no idea when I volunteered what it was all about and how much I would like it... just figured I could end up dead in Vietnam.