I Blew It And Didn't Get Visa In Time

I didn't get the visa forms to our closest consulate in time.

I'm the detail person in my family and I thought I had this covered. Husband has total faith in my ability to keep everything in order. I'd love to blame my oversight on the craziness of the holidays or the exhausting task of finishing up my projects at work while trying to clear 27 years of accumulation out of the house we just sold. It doesn't matter - I blew it.

I thought our visa would be processed in a couple of days. Wrong! The day I was going to send our forms in I read the FAQ at Los Angeles consulate web site and found out the normal processing time is 2 weeks, "not" including air delivery time to/from. It was 14 days before our departure with Christmas looming. I didn't want to chance it.

End result: Husband and I have airline tickets for 90 day visit but no visa.

Arriving in BKK at 11:30 PM on Jan 5. It will be after midnight by the time we get off of the plane and pick up our luggage. Will there be someplace at the airport, this late, that can assist us in getting a tourist visa?

As U.S. citizens we can stay for 30 days without a visa. Will we be in trouble because we have outbound tickets that exceed 30 days?

Do we simply go to the motel, get a good nights sleep and sort things out the next day? If so, where?

Ideas?

Suggestions?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could try another Consulate if you can not hand carry to LA Consulate.

You will not be able to obtain a tourist visa in Thailand at any time. They are just not available.

If you can not obtain a visa prior to travel you should expect to have airline challenge you at boarding time and possibly not allow you to board the aircraft or require you to purchase onward travel within 30 days of your arrival in Thailand. This could be tickets to Singapore for example.

You can not sort this out in Thailand. You will have to leave the country every 30 days (for a new 30 day stamp) or obtain a real visa from another country and then return.

//edit: You will likely not have any problem once you get to Thailand - it is the airline that normally will have heartburn over no onward transportation within 30 day rule.//

You can not sort this out in Thailand. You will have to leave the country every 30 days (for a new 30 day stamp) or obtain a real visa from another country and then return.

Your best and only real option.

No big deal, just go with one of the VIP buses that leave from Sukhumvit to a Cambodian border..

2000b each, (rtn) trip to the border, includes Cambo visa, cross and walk back over the border, problem solved. :o

Use the Search facility and read the "visa run" topics for more background info..

2 weeks turnaround time for a tourist visa at Thai embassy in Los Angeles, I don't understand. When I bring my paperwork there before 11AM it is ready to pick up the next day. It's hard to imagine it would take so much longer just because they receive the paperwork in the mail instead of in person.

I believe there may be a "rush" option - for a small additional cost, of course. If I were you I'd call the RTE and inquire about that. You could FedEx documents back and forth in just a few days I reckon.

It's worth at least a phone call to possibly save the inconvenience of having to cross the border every 30 days.

Skydancer the way i see it is that border runs are going to be the least of your worries if you cant get a visa sorted out before leaving............as Lopburi says you might never even get on the plane without an onward ticket.

What i would do is this...................if you cant get a visa then you are going to have to exit at least once after 30 days no getting round that, so why dont you book a flight down to Penang from Bangkok with AirAsia or one of the other cheap carriers to coincide with the first 30 day exit that way at least you/ll be able to board the plane in the US.

Then if you wanted to you could get a single entry tourist visa from the Thai Consulate in Penang and that would cover the rest of your stay without the need for anymore border runs.

:o

The airline wear the problem of no visa, you get a 30 day on arrival, but they can refuse to carry you without the correct paperwork.

Could you organise a return train, bus or airline ticket exiting the country within your initial 30 day stay.?

There is no problem, as stated easy enough to do a couple of border runs but to be sure airline out of US lets you board without a visa, go to www.airasia.com and book either a one way to Penang, KL or Singapore, around your first 30 day time if you actually want to do a border run or a return for a couple of days if you fancy a side trip. Cheap cheap and the sooner you book the cheaper it will be.

I am sure dealing with the entry permit side of things in Thailand will actually be less stressful than in the US.

I really cannot see that you will have a problem with the airline, but then I suppose I don't know as I never flew out of the US to LOS. Have however many times entered without a visa and with a 3 month return ticket, never a peep out of anybody. Cannot believe you need an air ticket out specifically in 30 days. What if I am a backpacker doing a round trip say BKK -Sing -Bkk by train?

Quick phone call to your airline should settle the matter anyways

Edited by OlRedEyes

I really cannot see that you will have a problem with the airline, but then I suppose I don't know as I never flew out of the US to LOS. Have however many times entered without a visa and with a 3 month return ticket, never a peep out of anybody. Cannot believe you need an air ticket out specifically in 30 days. What if I am a backpacker doing a round trip say BKK -Sing -Bkk by train?

Entering isn't the problem its getting on the plane in the first place ...............if the carrier was to bring you here and Thai Immigration were to refuse you entry because you had no onward ticket within the first 30 days of intended stay then the onus is on the airline to take you back from where you came and they are penalised.

Thai Immigration set down that an onward air ticket is required to qualify for visa exempt stays of up to 30 days although in practice it is hardly ever checked by Immigration upon entering the country a lot of the airlines will simply not take the risk.

Entering  isn't  the  problem  its  getting  on  the  plane  in  the  first  place  ...............if  the  carrier  was  to  bring  you  here  and  Thai  Immigration  were  to  refuse  you  entry  because  you  had  no  onward  ticket  within  the  first  30  days  of  intended  stay  then  the  onus  is  on  the  airline  to  take  you  back  from  where  you  came  and  they  are  penalised.

I don't doubt that you are correct TF, but the OP has already paid for a return fare. The airline has been pre-paid to bring them back.

A change of date is all that is required.

A change of date is all that is required.

Now that would depend on the terms and conditions of the ticket..........as i seem to recall the OP was looking for a good deal on the tickets these normally come with stricter t&c's.

If it were possible that could also be an option.............change the ticket to exit within the first 30 days and then change it back again once in Thailand.

It could be really too late to get visa from any consulate, considerig they would be closed during Thai holidays from Dec. 31 - Jan. 3.

Generally, the immigration does not ask for tickets and if so might be happy with what you have.

The Ministy of Foreign Affairs neither requires tickets, their stipulation is

The applicant must possess instrument of means of living expenses 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family accordingly. as long as we talk about to 30 visa exemptin for tourists.

(If you have problems at check-in print out this one:

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/12.php#Type ) to talk you way on board.

If everthing fails, buy tickets at the airport which are fully refundable (BKK-SIN or BKK-PEN) pay by credit card and ask for refund afterwards.

Bear in mind, once you are here with 30 day - stamp, you can extent by 10 days and MAY BE by another 5 days (Baht 1900) but than have to cross a border, come back or get a 60 days tourist visa in Penang or SIN.

Good luck!

Or delay both dates 10 days and come out when you have a  visa

Thetyim has it right. The most logical, and perhaps the easiest thing to do is simply delay your departure from the US until you have the visa.

If it is at all possible, hand carry your visa request (with cash in hand) the the RT Consulate in LA. It is easy to find, parking is a cinch, and there are generally no crowds there. I really think that the "two week" time period mentioned on their website is merely to denote the worst case scenario. Generally the visa is ready the next day.

Entering isn't the problem its getting on the plane in the first place ...............if the carrier was to bring you here and Thai Immigration were to refuse you entry because you had no onward ticket within the first 30 days of intended stay then the onus is on the airline to take you back from where you came and they are penalised.

Thai Immigration set down that an onward air ticket is required to qualify for visa exempt stays of up to 30 days although in practice it is hardly ever checked by Immigration upon entering the country a lot of the airlines will simply not take the risk.

That is exactly what I am saying... Far as I know the airline has no problem with it. Anyways.... its a simple matter to confirm.

If it is at all possible, hand carry your visa request (with cash in hand) the the RT Consulate in LA. 

I do not think that is an option.

The OP lives in Oregon

From another thread we are told that the OP has a temporary walking problem and is recouperating.

Visa runs would be best avoided.

If it is at all possible, hand carry your visa request (with cash in hand) the the RT Consulate in LA. 

I do not think that is an option.

The OP lives in Oregon

From another thread we are told that the OP has a temporary walking problem and is recouperating.

Visa runs would be best avoided.

I've been to Poipet in a wheelchair and taxi, no problem.

Next visit was on crutches on the vip coach, again, no problem, you get preferential treatment both sides of the border. :o

I'm with the Air Asia option.

Buy tickets online to Penang departing just before your first 30 days is up, bring the confirmation email to show your airline that you have onward flights within 30 days as required by Thai law.

Then buzz down to Penang on those tickets and get tourist visas (60 days per entry), no more visa runs, problem solved.

QED.

Thank you all for your advise. I am so angry at myself for creating this mess.

Last week I researched "rush" visa options and they wouldn't work due to the holidays. All consulates that service Oregon are closed until Jan 3rd (per phone message when I called).

Will buy round-trip airline tickets from BKK to Penang. Just priced and cheapest was $318/ea. Didn't plan on this expense but it seems to be the best solution. I'll order the tickets today so that I will have outbound e-ticket to show to United when we board international flight (to BKK).

Our inbound tickets could be changed for a $300 - $400 penalty (each ticket, each change) so changing them to show outbound flight within 30 days is cost prohibited, as would be changing them back to outbound in 90 days. Flight from BKK to PEN is cheaper than paying the penalty.

I can't express how much I appreciate your assistance. It is nice to know that help is there when you need it.

Deborah

I'm with the Air Asia option.

Buy tickets online to Penang departing just before your first 30 days is up, bring the confirmation email to show your airline that you have onward flights within 30 days as required by Thai law.

Then buzz down to Penang on those tickets and get tourist visas (60 days per entry), no more visa runs, problem solved.

QED.

Not sure about 900 baht (probably right if you play with the dates you go)but here's a price end of Jan with AirAsia............big difference between $300 and this one............

V FARE Guest Web THB999.00

Tue, 31/Jan/2006

Flight FD3543 07:25 Depart Bangkok (BKK)

10:05 Arrive Penang (PEN)

U FARE Guest Web THB1,499.00

Fri, 03/Feb/2006

Flight FD3542 10:35 Depart Penang (PEN)

11:15 Arrive Bangkok (BKK)

Going Out (V FARE)

1 Guest at THB999.00 THB 999.00

Taxes and Fees ( details) THB 450.00

Coming Back (U FARE)

1 Guest at THB1,499.00 THB 1,499.00

Taxes and Fees ( details) THB 900.00

Total Cost of Flight THB 3,848.00

:o

After reading about AirAsia problems (on the forum) I was afraid to use them. Even their website is funky. I wanted to Fly to Panang on Feb 1 and return Feb 4 but on the drop-down selection bar for flight dates it shows two March 2006 but no February. I couldn't have booked on line if I wanted to. Took this as a sign to not use them.

Before I booked the overpriced tickets to Penang I talked to husband and he doesn't want to go to Penang. He would rather go to Singapore - thinks the sights will be better. That's okay, he can look all he wants but I'll beat him with my cane if he touches. (grin).

Used the great search feature on ThaiVisa to get info on Singapore visa run. Found out about JetStarAsia.com. Price for round-trip flight from BKK to SIN is very cheap. I hope they are a better airline than AirAsia.

Haven't booked motel yet but used Octopustravel to do initial search - ouch - prices seem high. $72.00 US, and up. Will get airline tickets purchased before I go to bed tonight but may have to research motel more tomorrow.

You guys and gals are great. Keep the advise coming.

Deborah

900bt if you go end of January BKK to Penang rtn for 2 days

See http://www.airasia.com/site/en/home.jsp

It/ll be Hubby keping an eye on you and the credit cards if you go to Singapore.............shop till you drop.

Here's a starter for a room try Asiarooms.com and search for the City Bayview Hotel in Bencoolen street 2600 baht/night inc breakfast( 2 pax)..........ive just stayed there its fine and fairly handy, 5 mins for the transit system.

If moneys no object then the Marriott is in the prime spot on Orchard Road but its 6700 baht/night inc breakfast.

Bought tickets from BKK to SIN. Leave Wed, Feb 1, return Sat Feb 4. Used jetstarasia.com to book. Price was quite a bit higher than AirAsia but still half of what I was originally going to pay for Scandinavian Airlines.

I now have tickets to show outbound flight within 30 days of arrival in Thailand.

Booked 3 nights at City Bayview Hotel. Thanks to thaiflyer1 for that recommendation.

Whew. It took all of you to make this happen. Can't thank you enough.

It/ll  be  Hubby  keping  an eye  on  you  and  the  credit  cards  if  you  go  to  Singapore.............shop  till  you  drop.

Here's  a  starter  for  a  room  try  Asiarooms.com  and  search  for  the  City Bayview  Hotel  in  Bencoolen  street  2600 baht/night  inc  breakfast( 2 pax)..........ive  just  stayed  there  its  fine  and  fairly  handy,  5  mins  for  the  transit  system.

If  moneys  no  object  then  the  Marriott  is  in  the  prime  spot  on  Orchard  Road  but  its  6700 baht/night  inc  breakfast.

Bought tickets from BKK to SIN.  Leave Wed, Feb 1, return Sat Feb 4. Used jetstarasia.com to book. Price was quite a bit higher than AirAsia but still half of what I was originally going to pay for Scandinavian Airlines.

I now have tickets to show outbound flight within 30 days of arrival in Thailand.

Booked 3 nights at City Bayview Hotel. Thanks to thaiflyer1 for that recommendation.

Whew. It took all of you to make this happen. Can't thank you enough.

It/ll  be  Hubby  keping  an eye  on  you  and  the  credit  cards  if  you  go  to  Singapore.............shop  till  you  drop.

Here's  a  starter  for  a  room  try  Asiarooms.com  and  search  for  the  City Bayview  Hotel  in  Bencoolen  street  2600 baht/night  inc  breakfast( 2 pax)..........ive  just  stayed  there  its  fine  and  fairly  handy,  5  mins  for  the  transit  system.

If  moneys  no  object  then  the  Marriott  is  in  the  prime  spot  on  Orchard  Road  but  its  6700 baht/night  inc  breakfast.

All is well that ends well. :o