Financial Expectations Of A Thai Women

Longbow212

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If she wants to break things off at that point I would say it's only fair and certainly practical to offer her a small severance package.

they have been in a 50/50 relationship which was more like 70/30 since he says he paid for everything for the last year or so

why on earth would she deserve a severance package ???

He means cut her head off when they finish.................I mean thats what I normally do, never had a complaint yet!!

• Like 1

OP... I think you should ignore the cynics saying she just wants your money... if she is decent looking she could have found another guy (probably older than you) making ten or twenty times more than you who would give her lots of money... on 20k/month she is probably really struggling and anything you can do to help would be appreciated... however, you need to explain to her (if you haven't already) that you are not making big bucks so you don't have much spare cash to share with her (maybe also explain the type of lifestyle you expect to be able to provide for your family in the future if you stay together)... if she really loves you, this will be no problem... if money is important to her, she will be gone pretty fast and you can move on...

Brit, 20k is a decent salary for a Thai they will not struggle on a salary like that.

What do you mean by "for a Thai"?... surely the cost of living is the same for everyone (except a few places with dual-pricing)

The major costs are the same regardless of whether you are Thai or foreign... a half-decent apartment rent is +30k baht/month... a half-decent car costs +500k THB... food isn't free...

30k what are you nuts? 20k will get you something very nice these days, right next to the BTS if you want, prices have fallen over the last few years

Those who are saying that 20k/month is a good salary for a Thai are not wrong, however a few points:

1. Bangkok is VERY expensive these days. Example. Just went to a local shop for khao-moo-dang. They must have given me only 5 or 6 pieces of meat and the Thai price of 50baht. This is not even remotely filling and you can only imagine the profit margin and applicable rent. In the last few years especially inflation is rampant and Bangkok is spinning out of control. You look in the shopping malls now and they are selling bubble tea for 75 baht. The same thing sells outside on carts for 10 baht (though you are more likely to get sick). My wife has commented on how much more expensive everything has gotten.

2. Yes, you can get by on 20k a month but it is not like you are going to have a good life style. saying stuff like "Thais get by on less" is just silly. Yes, sharing a crappy studio w/ 2 friends and only taking buses and breathing in blame fumes on the way to and from work is a cheaper way to live but that way of life sucks.

This stuff about, well a farang cannot survive on 20k a month but Thais sure can... It's a lie. Thais are not happy to live this "cheap" life style, it is that they have no choice.

• Like 1

This stuff about, well a farang cannot survive on 20k a month but Thais sure can... It's a lie. Thais are not happy to live this "cheap" life style, it is that they have no choice.

Most people almost anywhere have 'no choice', we on Tv are some of the lucky ones out of the world population.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

Again, please leave "I spend x baht living in a villiage in Roi Et" out of the discussion.

This is Bangkok we are talking about people. And this girl is trying to LIVE not survive.

That said, at 30 she better like exercising if she expects to be upkept.

I suspect it is her personal choice to live in Bangkok, most Thais have a farm in the sticks they could easily go and live.

i was seeing a young girl who lived in huai kwang a while back ..........

her building was nice ,had a pool and a gym and the room was on the 17th floor with a nice view of the city (45-50 sqm )

the multistory parking lot was loaded with mercs ,beamers ,fortuners ,lexus and other lovely cars and motorcycles

her rent was 8000 a month

some thais aparently do spend more on vehicles than accomodation ......

That or they just spending an hour or two.

Again, please leave "I spend x baht living in a villiage in Roi Et" out of the discussion.

This is Bangkok we are talking about people. And this girl is trying to LIVE not survive.

That said, at 30 she better like exercising if she expects to be upkept.

I suspect it is her personal choice to live in Bangkok, most Thais have a farm in the sticks they could easily go and live.

Maybe she is from Bangkok, maybe her family are from Bangkok. My wife is. Most of her friends are. I doubt the majority have even stepped foot on a farm, let alone own one. I would say that is exactly the same for the millions of other Thais who were born in Bangkok.

okay let's break down her cost of living:

apartment - studio or share rent w/bf... she wants to live within 200m of bts.. let's say 6k/month for something crappy.

wants to take taxi to bts instead of riding on back of motorcycle 45 baht x 2 each working day. BTS 35 baht x 2/ day.

apartment utilities and internet. she never runs the AC and enjoys sweating in her tiny tiny room. 1500 baht/ month

25 working days x 160 = 4k a month

we are already at 11.5/month without even talking about food or living expenses. this leaves her 8.5/30 = 280 baht per day.

now are you gonna tell me something like "How dare she take a taxi to work instead of sweating it on on the back of a motorcycle?" or "BTS???? That is a luxury for HISO people only. She should take a bus to work, wake up an extra hour early".

Those who are saying that 20k/month is a good salary for a Thai are not wrong, however a few points:

1. Bangkok is VERY expensive these days. Example. Just went to a local shop for khao-moo-dang. They must have given me only 5 or 6 pieces of meat and the Thai price of 50baht. This is not even remotely filling and you can only imagine the profit margin and applicable rent. In the last few years especially inflation is rampant and Bangkok is spinning out of control. You look in the shopping malls now and they are selling bubble tea for 75 baht. The same thing sells outside on carts for 10 baht (though you are more likely to get sick). My wife has commented on how much more expensive everything has gotten.

2. Yes, you can get by on 20k a month but it is not like you are going to have a good life style. saying stuff like "Thais get by on less" is just silly. Yes, sharing a crappy studio w/ 2 friends and only taking buses and breathing in blame fumes on the way to and from work is a cheaper way to live but that way of life sucks.

I don't know where you live that you pay 50 baht for khao moo daeng but I pay 30 and get a lot of meat. All street food where I live (in Bangkok) is 30 baht and is filling. Even indoor sit down places are 30-50 and you get a lot of good food for that amount. 50 baht for khao moo daeng in Bangkok, especially a bad one, is overpriced

I don't think 20k a month is a difficult lifestyle at all, especially for a Thai that doesn't have expensive foreign food habits. 20k provides a good lifestyle for a single Thai person with no family obligations. You wouldn't need to share a crappy studio on 20k at all, you can EASILY rent a studio on your own or even get an apartment all to yourself and still have plenty per month to spend on daily living expenses. Lots of Thai people on this amount even own cars. I fully understand that many people spend FAR more than 20k per month and think that is fine, but people are just out of touch with real prices if they think it is unlivable or that Thai people have to suffer on that amount, even in Bangkok.

apartment - studio or share rent w/bf... she wants to live within 200m of bts.. let's say 6k/month for something crappy.

wants to take taxi to bts instead of riding on back of motorcycle 45 baht x 2 each working day. BTS 35 baht x 2/ day.

apartment utilities and internet. she never runs the AC and enjoys sweating in her tiny tiny room. 1500 baht/ month

we are already at 11.5/month without even talking about food or living expenses. this leaves her 8.5/30 = 280 baht per day.

now are you gonna tell me something like "How dare she take a taxi to work instead of sweating it on on the back of a motorcycle?" or "BTS???? That is a luxury for HISO people only. She should take a bus to work, wake up an extra hour early".

It's normal for 3 or 4 girls to share, they won't have Internet, reducing your estimate from 11.5k to just under 7k each (assuming 3 sharing). Living alone with private Internet is very much a foreigner concept. Thais don't like to do anything alone. Internet is done at an Internet cafe.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

Quite right, and if she collected her sweat she could save an extra 10 baht a day on mineral water.

Edited by Kananga

lol at internet in ur home being a western concept.

the place where i paid 50 baht was sukhumwit 38, by the hawkers. it was the thai price.

the cost of yam mama (noodles w/ seafood salad) is 60 baht.

perhaps Thong Lo is expensive but it seems like the areas around teh BTS and MRT are all pretty dam_n expensive these days.

Edited by farang000999

Further on from this comment, I am getting the impression that some posters are trying to imply, how dare a Thai earn more than THB 20k/m, how dare a Thai drive a nice car, how dare a Thai live in a nice apartment in BKK which costs 42k/m....is this more of case of envy creeping in that a middle class Thai living in BKk is better off than an average farang living in Thailand, it shatters the myth that a farang in Thailand is the high and mighty Bwana ruling over the "natives" ?

Edited by Soutpeel

I find the whole 'take care me' thing a piss take tbh. Ok if the girl is really skint and you make more then sure when you go out you pay ect... but being expected to pay for everything and still give her 'pocket money' is rude imo. And I don't think it's a cultural thing either. If she expects you to do things the Thai way when it comes to marriage then maybe you should introduce her to some western concepts ie ha sip ha sip. Put your foot down.

I do not believe that Thai girls are different from any girl in the world, maybe more honest with what they want. If you enter a relation anywhere it will not take long before she wants you to share your fortune.

It's up to you if you think it's worth it. And no one can tell you if your doing right or wrong, it's only up to you. As any deals, sometimes it is worth it, sometimes not. Hard to say before you tried it out.

However, you can be clear of the expectations by talking to her, maybe not straight questions but be a little bit clever and you will get the answers.

Further on from this comment, I am getting the impression that some posters are trying to imply, how dare a Thai earn more than THB 20k/m, how dare a Thai drive a nice car, how dare a Thai live in a nice apartment in BKK which costs 42k/m....is this more of case of envy creeping in that a middle class Thai living in BKk is better off than an average farang living in Thailand, it shatters the myth that a farang in Thailand is the high and mighty Bwana ruling over the "natives" ?

I wonder who has that image i certainly not. I would not care much if someone made more then me. I don need to keep up with anyone. Also more important i dont need to pay the upkeep for anyone.

Some foreigners don't make much others do, i could not care less as i make enough to live and save money for a rainy day.

Or more to the point, how dare a Thai earn more than me.

8-10k a month in bkk is a tiny rat hole.

I know of many three-four bedroom townhouses for under 10k near Sukhumvit BTS.

But then again, I'm not a tourist.

for that price i know a few nice places also

fully loaded villages ,you wouldnt even have to go outside if you didnt want to

massage shops ,7-11s ,hairdressers and barbers ,grocery stores ,atms ,laundrys ,resturants ,swiming pool ,sauna fitness

and a few hundred metres from the mrt stations

i think some landlords must be rubbing their hands together when they see some of you guys coming ......

and just because there are thais in the same building ,doesnt mean they are paying the same rates ;)

I know of one building in ratchada that charges farangs double if they walk in and ask how much is a condo here .....

• Like 1

You can get rooms cheaper than 6k if you just want a crappy studio, think more like 2 or 3k. 6k could get you a nice one in a building with a swimming pool on top. Many prefer to share regardless of the cost as well. I also have Thai friends that rent entire townhouses in Bangkok for 6-10k and share it. Not in Thonglor for sure, but in Bangkok. 1.5k per month is too expensive if no air. I certainly wouldn't waste money on a taxi to the BTS everyday if I lived 200m from it and don't know many Thais that would either.

Your final number, which is too high for most Thais, leaves them with 280 per day...and you think this isn't enough? That is a very comfortable daily average for most. Plenty of good food and on weekends can afford some drinks. I know a lot of Thais earning in the 15-20k range and they usually SAVE money every month on that salary. Others just spend it on expensive cell phones and other gizmos. Very easy if your single. A parent with kids is a totally different story.

• Like 1

Lol a Thai person driving an imported luxury car and paying 42k/m rent isn't remotely middle class. They are the 1%. Congratulations though if you're so wealthy that that is middle class to you.

• Like 2

I am barely qualified to comment on this subject however I remember coming across someone pointing out the perfect test to see if your partner was genuinely interested in you. I can't remember where it was that I saw it and it may well have been here on Thaivisa.

In effect it was the " In her mind " test. Are you in your girlfriends mind? Does she consider you in any way, at all?

Does she do anything spontaneous for you?

Does she bring you in your favourite fruit from the market?

Does she ever bring you anything in of any value?

Does she ever nip out to 7/11 to buy for herself and not ask you if you want anything?

etc etc.................if the answer to all of the above is negative then it means that you are not in her mind.

I wouldn't want a gf that didn't ever think of me.

Just saying, maybe it's relevant to the OP, maybe not, but just saying.

I would be interested in other people's opinion on that.

Nice post Blether,

My girlfriend who just got back from her job at the Krung Thai bank came back to our 8k a month townhouse with a box of Cow man Gai for me and our son. Seeing that the fridge was empty she has just rode her push bike to seven to by some stuff for breakfast and a couple of beers for GFL tonight.

We both work. I earn more than her but she is much better with money. She saves and I spend. I give her half my salary every month as I know that way there will be money saved for when we go on holiday, or have an emergency etc.

I think that the OP's Mrs has a good job and has probably not be taught how to manage money. I would suggest not giving her anymore spending money until she has learned to managed the amount she has.

I don't like the I've got more money money that you have nature of some TV posters here.

Regards,

GFL.

• Like 1

Lol a Thai person driving an imported luxury car and paying 42k/m rent isn't remotely middle class. They are the 1%. Congratulations though if you're so wealthy that that is middle class to you.

Who said anything about an imported luxury car ?...I said a nice car

OP... I think you should ignore the cynics saying she just wants your money... if she is decent looking she could have found another guy (probably older than you) making ten or twenty times more than you who would give her lots of money... on 20k/month she is probably really struggling and anything you can do to help would be appreciated... however, you need to explain to her (if you haven't already) that you are not making big bucks so you don't have much spare cash to share with her (maybe also explain the type of lifestyle you expect to be able to provide for your family in the future if you stay together)... if she really loves you, this will be no problem... if money is important to her, she will be gone pretty fast and you can move on...

Brit, 20k is a decent salary for a Thai they will not struggle on a salary like that.

20k is jack shit. Anyone, Thai or otherwise would struggle on that without the help of a support network,

Most Thais earning half that in the city are supporting family members.

• Like 1

It's incredible how things spin out of control if you dont keep an eye on the word twisters.

• Like 1

It's incredible how things spin out of control if you dont keep an eye on the word twisters.

thumbsup.gif

I suspect this thread is going to turn into the normal farang cheap charlie.."I can live cheaper than you p*ssing match"....clap2.gif

and of course the normal statements like..Our native Thai dont really need anything to be happy, just a wooden hut, a threadbare sheet and eat leaves from the side of the road...whistling.gif

• Like 2

Not really. In his previous post where he was talking about 42k/m rents he was mentioned all the Mercedes, BMW, and Audi he sees and later mocked farang who could not afford one as being jealous because they want to to be a 'Bwana' (whatever that is) , so it seemed like that was what he was talking about by a 'nice' cars. And all of those are luxury cars in Thailand due to the 200-300% tax on imported cars. If he just meant a Honda, ok, but I know Thai guys on 20k per month that drive those.

Not really. In his previous post where he was talking about 42k/m rents he was mentioned all the Mercedes, BMW, and Audi he sees and later mocked farang who could not afford one as being jealous because they want to to be a 'Bwana' (whatever that is) , so it seemed like that was what he was talking about by a 'nice' cars. And all of those are luxury cars in Thailand due to the 200-300% tax on imported cars. If he just meant a Honda, ok, but I know Thai guys on 20k per month that drive those.

I didnt see that, but it does amaze me how so many Thais will spend more on their car than their property. Can't beat that Asian new money syndrome when it comes to getting life's priorities out of whack.