Skimping On The Check

nietzche

I know what you are saying but, happened to me in Phuket a couple of months back, got involved in ringing the bar bell, and low and behold farrang guy and his girl, and her friend, come time for their shout gotta go.

I say well what a bunch of tightarse's, I'd hate to be like that.

You rang the bell..then its open season on your bill...thats your own fault...dont blame everyone else, just because you do it doesnt mean everyone else has to, nothing to do with "time for their shout"

I understand your point.. however, at the time there was like 8-10 people in the bar, and everyone "was" taking turns in ringing the bell, until the those last in line took the opportunity, to put the step on, and head for the door.

Which I feel was poor form, you had to be there I guess.

8-10 people in a bar

so you go in and ring the bell

some of the 8-10 people might have been drinking all day or already had 10 drinks when you rang the bell

so the next 7 times the bell rings ,they could have downed 18 drinks in that session

i know its shit when someone leaves who "owes" you a drink etc ,but how do u get out of a situation of being

stuck in a circle of bell ringers ? because at any time ,someone will have bought 1 round of drinks more than everyone

else

tricky business ........i must say .biggrin.png

Look my bell ring cost me around AudA$50 give or take, so I couldn't give a monkeys, but "I" couldn't let 5 or 6 people shout me a drink in a row, happily drink those drinks, then slowly edge towards the door and the disappear, must be something wrong with me. huh.png

Look my bell ring cost me around AudA$50 give or take, so I couldn't give a monkeys, but "I" couldn't let 5 or 6 people shout me a drink in a row, happily drink those drinks, then slowly edge towards the door and the disappear, must be something wrong with me. huh.png

if they did it as sinisterly as you say ,then yes ,i dont agree with it

but do you know how many drinks was consumed by every one of the 8-10 people in the circle before you came in ? probably not ,someone people might not be able to drink to more than 6 large bottles of chang without puking their guts up ? who knows ?

if they had of bought a round and immediately after ,someone else had bought a round ,then they still couldnt leave for 6 more rounds without short -changing that person a drink ,could they ? :D

• Like 1

I know what you are saying but, happened to me in Phuket a couple of months back, got involved in ringing the bar bell, and low and behold farrang guy and his girl, and her friend, come time for their shout gotta go.

I say well what a bunch of tightarse's, I'd hate to be like that.

You rang the bell..then its open season on your bill...thats your own fault...dont blame everyone else, just because you do it doesnt mean everyone else has to, nothing to do with "time for their shout"

I understand your point.. however, at the time there was like 8-10 people in the bar, and everyone "was" taking turns in ringing the bell, until the those last in line took the opportunity, to put the step on, and head for the door.

8-10 people in a bar

some of the 8-10 people might have been drinking all day or already had 10 drinks when you rang the bell

so the next 7 times the bell rings ,they could have downed 18 drinks in that session

i know its shit when someone leaves who "owes" you a drink etc ,but how do u get out of a situation of being

stuck in a circle of bell ringers ? because at any time ,someone will have bought 1 round of drinks more than everyone

else

tricky business ........i must say .:D

That's the reason I gave up gambling. Always felt bad leaving with my winnings. :rolleyes:

8-10 people in a bar

else

tricky business ........i must say .biggrin.png

The problem with bell ringing is that once the staff here the bell and are given the nod, they will serve everyone drinking. Generally, when the bell is rung, this includes the staff as well.

At least with buying rounds, it gives people the chance to opt out. If they slink away while being in a round, then that is different and deserves comment!

• Like 1

The problem with bell ringing is that once the staff here the bell and are given the nod, they will serve everyone drinking. Generally, when the bell is rung, this includes the staff as well.

At least with buying rounds, it gives people the chance to opt out. If they slink away while being in a round, then that is different and deserves comment!

You can opt out of a bell ringing as well simply by saying no thanks, I'm off soon anyway. I'll only ring the bell if it's all mates/people I like and then it's usually for the staff to have a drink when in a bar I'm a regular.

Thankfully this seems to be a dying custom (or I'm going to better places ;).) I much prefer telling the girls get him, him and him a drink on my bill.

Sent from Android please excuse errors in type or judgement

You can opt out of a bell ringing as well simply by saying no thanks, I'm off soon anyway. I'll only ring the bell if it's all mates/people I like and then it's usually for the staff to have a drink when in a bar I'm a regular.

Thankfully this seems to be a dying custom (or I'm going to better places wink.png.) I much prefer telling the girls get him, him and him a drink on my bill.

Sent from Android please excuse errors in type or judgement

Agree 2unique, it is a dying custom. Below is a sign I did for the bar with reference to this (was a bit p1ssed when I wrote it blink.png , but has been on the wall for the last 12 years & has worked well:

FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS

The ring of the bell will raise a cheer,

For all, free drinks of whiskey and beer.

Whoever so chimes the bell on the ceiling,

Will pay for the bill with no thoughts of ill-feeling.

This story is told to inform one and all,

This story will always be shown on the wall.

If its not your intention that the bell should ring,

Then don't mess about with my ding-a-ling!

The bell is rung because, out of the goodness of their heart, they would like to buy everybody a drink.

Don't abuse it!

Rules are as follows:

1/ Don't change your drinks. Accept a drink of what you are drinking when the bell is rung.

2/ If you are drinking from your own bottle, accept one drink of the same, or similar from the bar.

Don't wait for a full bottle to be bought or brought!

This one is doing pretty good. We all now know of the bad behavior of Farangs in Thailand.

If I was you I would start a thread like, “Least trustworthy people in Thailand” or “Why did you decide to leave Thailand.”

Those topics would give you a lot more information about Farang bad behavior in Thailand.

I would imagine if a person started three threads designed to talk about Farang bad behavior in Thailand it would be time for him to leave. Maybe not though. There are some people who just love to whine.

Anyway to answer your question, never happens to me. I don't go to bars to meet guys.