Are The Russians Getting A Free Ride.....

CiaranO

If you think about this more.....there is something that we are all missing.....there will come a point when the Thai's get fed up with the Russians and some of there shady dealings as stated by a few posters.........what will happen then ?

As long as the cash flows in the right amounts, Thai's will never get fed up with the Russians

I guess you are right.............or maybe until it starts to affect tourism.....
  • Like 1

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It also annoys me when I am walking on Jomtien beach road and I am approached by a Russian tout offering me a tour. I bet that it annoys the legitimate Thais more than me or the OP.

Why does it annoy you more if the tout is Russian? Russian tout, Thai tout, Nigerian tout...makes no difference to me...

Because I came to Thailand to live with Thais not Russians. All the signs, menu's and even TV channels showing are now in Russian. If I had have wanted this I would have moved to Moscow. Russian is not the world language.

If you think about this more.....there is something that we are all missing.....there will come a point when the Thai's get fed up with the Russians and some of there shady dealings as stated by a few posters.........what will happen then ?

Prediction?..........nothing. They will stalemate each other, there may be a low level war of attrition and the occasional victory for the BiB but at the end of the day deals will be done, transgressions will be ignored and that will be it.

Then the Chinese will pour in and blow us all into insignificance. Wait till you see the spending power that mob will bring in, and they will be 5 minutes wrapping the Thais around their fingers. It's started already.

Once again, just saying coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Prediction?..........nothing. They will stalemate each other, there may be a low level war of attrition and the occasional victory for the BiB but at the end of the day deals will be done, transgressions will be ignored and that will be it.

Then the Chinese will pour in and blow us all into insignificance. Wait till you see the spending power that mob will bring in, and they will be 5 minutes wrapping the Thais around their fingers. It's started already.

I well believe you.....some great posts btw

I well believe you.....some great posts btw

I know, I'm very clever. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

This whole discussion brings to mind a story my uncle told me when I first started working with him in Chicago. He had just opened up his first bar in the windy city.....and things were going great until one day he got a visit from the mob. They wanted to install their own jukebox, pool tables and gambling machines in his bar. They made it very clear that he had no real choice and they would be back with the machines the following week. My uncle told me he was never so fearful of people in his whole life.

During the week he asked a friend of his for some advice because he wanted to operate a legitimate business and certainly did not want to get involved with the mob. His friend asked him did he play poker and if so did he know how to bluff. His friend told him that he needed to bluff his way out of this situation and use what he had to his advantage.

The next week came and the mob turned up with poker machines, pool tables and a beautiful jukebox. He met them at the door and told them they couldn't install the equipment. The mob were apparently very confused by this and asked why not. My uncle, in his best Irish accent, told them that his IRISH friends wouldnt be very happy if the yfound out there were mob equipment in his bar. (suggesting that his Irish friends were IRA members).

My uncle told me he never has seen 5 grown men move that much equipment out of a bar that fast. ...

• Like 2

There was an article a while back about how tour guides for some languages like Russian or Korean are sometimes given leeway and given work permits as translators and allowed to guide tours without a lot of hassle, because there aren't enough Thais that speak those languages. I imagine some of those Russian tour guides don't even bother with that and just pay 'fines' when ever they have a problem

Its terrible to think because I have an opinion about something I should get back on the plane and go home. Are opinions not allowed in LOS or on the forum??????

I'm just saying you might enjoy it more in a country where you can spend all day grassing your neighbors in for not paying their TV license.

And I'm just saying an 'English teacher' should know the difference between there and their thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Its terrible to think because I have an opinion about something I should get back on the plane and go home. Are opinions not allowed in LOS or on the forum??????

I'm just saying you might enjoy it more in a country where you can spend all day grassing your neighbors in for not paying their TV license.

And I'm just saying an 'English teacher' should know the difference between there and their thumbsup.gif

please stick to the post topic......cheers......
  • Like 1

As long as the cash flows in the right amounts, Thai's will never get fed up with the Russians

Depends what you mean by Thai's. Government and resorts are happy but that's about it.

Depends what you mean by Thai's. Government and resorts are happy but that's about it.

i mean the Thai people.....

and the Thai gangsters....

So the man on the street so to say?

please stick to the post topic......cheers......

OK let's stick to the topic. The Russian tourguide is there because of a lack of Russian speaking Thais. Working visa rules are in place so that a foriegner can do a job as long as a qualified Thai is not put out of work. I did notice however on a recent trip to Koh Samet the beach sellers were grasping basic Russian language skills.

That's fair enough if that is the case and I have no reason to doubt you. The demand for Russian teachers is becoming huge in the resorts, however the majority of Thai hotel staff have no interest in learning it.

That's fair enough if that is the case and I have no reason to doubt you. The demand for Russian teachers is becoming huge in the resorts, however the majority of Thai hotel staff have no interest in learning it.

Can't blame them. sad.png
  • Like 1

OK. I can only speak for my own experiences and what has been passed on to me by close friends in Lamai, Koh Samui. Local small businesses such as mom and pop stores, bars and restaurants are very rarely used and if they are then they find the customer rude, arrogant and obnoxious. Never even so much as a hello, please or thank you.

The local ladies of the night knock back potential clients for the same reason that they are rude, arrogant and obnoxious to both them and their workmates.

Border run agencies are now asking to see passports for overstay because of the number of Russian passport holders who simply overstay so they can go down as a group. One overstay or perhaps two on a run to Malaysia and back is not such an issue, ten is an issue because of lack of time.

Samui immigration is not happy because people come in dressed in beach clothes, fill out the form wrong then start shouting like they own the place.

I could carry on but I think it's enough.

ps. Old soldier story coming up, I was on Operation Lionheart in 1984, known as a REFORGER exercise to the US forces. It was the biggest mass movement of NATO troops into Germany since WW2. I think 160,000 troops flew in in 5 days.

Anyway, theblether was on guard duty at a River near Hannover, I was in the Royal Engineers, and we had just built a Bailey Bridge.

theblether was proud of himself.

Just sayin'. smile.png

Shh, crap hat

:)

Believe me, those with the real power in Thailand are being well recompensed for allowing the Russian mobsters to operate here. When things get out of hand, as recently happened with Thai police getting shot at and the "farang" let go with no charges, believe me there were heavy civil penalties there and everyone who matters was happy in the end.

If the Russians really get out of hand and don't pay the appropriate commissions, I'm sure this is one area where the Thais with the real power show a lot more competence than they do in the areas they don't care about, those in the public interest. There might be a bit of shooting in the streets of Pattaya, but if they wanted to the Russian mobsters would be out in a fortnight.

Nobody gives a crap about them or us, we're not making TPTB rich.

It just annoys me that people get away with this.....when so many of us have to bend over backwards to live a legitimate life and keep our papers in order.

No need to be so flippant. The guy has a point the Russians are running ragged the immigration and business laws. I see it daily in Pattaya, but nothing will happen because as we all know. Money talks!

It just annoys you that you "have to" and they don't, pure jealousy.

I to wonder where did all those Russians suddenly come from? 3 or 4 years ago I dont remember them!

No, even ten years ago there were plenty around Pattaya. Been spreading ever since, no sudden increase, you just started tuning into them then.

It just annoys me that people get away with this.....when so many of us have to bend over backwards to live a legitimate life and keep our papers in order.

No need to be so flippant. The guy has a point the Russians are running ragged the immigration and business laws. I see it daily in Pattaya, but nothing will happen because as we all know. Money talks!

I to wonder where did all those Russians suddenly come from? 3 or 4 years ago I dont remember them!

No, even ten years ago there were plenty around Pattaya. Been spreading ever since, no sudden increase, you just started tuning into them then.

Now the pity is that we end up thinking that every Russian is a gangster.

It is not possible to be economically successful in that part of the world (not just Russia proper) without being in some way connected - the richer the more so.

Personally I doubt it's a good idea to start getting pally with random Russians if you're trying to live a safe clean life here, unless they're actually on a short holiday and you like to drink.

Because I came to Thailand to live with Thais not Russians. All the signs, menu's and even TV channels showing are now in Russian. If I had have wanted this I would have moved to Moscow. Russian is not the world language.

First the British empire, and now the US is on the decline, get used to it. The world language is money, and English speakers are already second-class citizens in many parts of the world. About time too. . .

Jealous of what you tosser.

May I kindly suggest the next time you find yourself with some free time from 'teaching' you brush up on your English spelling.whistling.gif

When you've finished that, learn about paragraphing.

whistling.gif

Well 4 posts in and the English Nazi's kick off well done thumbsup.gif

If he's going to go on a public forum and announce that he's an English teacher, he should at least show some mastery of the language.thumbsup.gif

Give him a break, English is his profession, not his hobby. He may be posting in his own time.

It also annoys me when I am walking on Jomtien beach road and I am approached by a Russian tout offering me a tour. I bet that it annoys the legitimate Thais more than me or the OP.

Why does it annoy you more if the tout is Russian? Russian tout, Thai tout, Nigerian tout...makes no difference to me...

LOL, surely you can see the absolute hypocrisy in your statement? So it's OK for you, a non-Thai, to be in Thailand and have everything written in English for you, but you want to keep everyone else out, especially foreign languages...except English of course...

Maybe the Russians don't want you around? Maybe they moved here to be with Thais...maybe they don't want to see menus in English, if they'd wanted that they would have moved to London...

• Like 2