Eurovision Song Contest 2012!

Shouldn't this be on the Gay forum?rolleyes.gif

Good question. Should it be? I see the camp factor of course.

I do know that in The UK The Eurovision song contest is the viewing highlight of the year amongst the gay communities. Eurovision parties are held, where gays watch it together, squealing and making bitchy remarks about the costumes. A complete mystery to me. But so is the obsession with Shirley Bassey, Barbra Streisand and Kylie. Could someone enlighten me?

Totally understandable. Sounds like the Oscar party phenom in the U.S. Making predictions is fun and it is common for there to be some kind of game with a prize for whoever predicts the most correct winners. I only know about Babs, so you'll have to ask someone gayer than me for your specific question.

You mean you have never heard of the great Burly Chassis JT? Oh dear, you would never pass muster in Old Compton Street, in London!

Shouldn't this be on the Gay forum?rolleyes.gif

Possibly - as Terry Wogan's replacement is the very Gay, Graham Norton!!

does anyone know if it'll be on Thai TV? I can't help it but I like the voting - 'Norvege nil pwant' etc!

I know that I will get castigated by my peers here, but the local radio station has decided to play the current Eurovision CD and kicked off with the Swedish song ... actually, it wasn't half bad ... post-104736-0-40759700-1336485309.gif ... who saw me admit that?

Edited by David48
  • Like 1

ESC is good for surprises. Due to the voting procedures, the winners often are bland mainstream songs. But among the runner-ups (or is it runners-up?) usually there's something for every taste. Likewise there's something to abhor for everybody as well. There are funny Leprechauns that can't stand still, there's great opera singers, there are nice melodies coupled with horrible lyrics, etc.

Germany had a great artist in the internal competition ( http://tvtotal.prosieben.de/tvtotal/videos/player/index.html?contentId=127113 ), but finally every-MIL's-dream got more phone-in votes.

Here's the (unofficial, highly subjective and not representative) vote from Austria:

Finland - 1 point - nice elvish song, if only the verses weren't so slow

Sweden - 2 points - not quite as euphoric as the title suggests

Israel - 3 point - pleasant retro music. If only the verses were Hebrew and the chorus English

Denmark - 4 points - harmless radio tune, nice as background music

Moldova - 5 points - never mind the bad English, great dance tune

Romania - 6 points - Spanish? what the heck? but fits with the Latin rhythm

Serbia - 7 points - melancholic ballad, Balkan sound

France - 8 points - French verses, English chorus, catchy tune, a winning recipe.

Montenegro - 10 points - funny sociocritical lyrics, funky sound, won't make it to the finals though

Turkey - 12 points - mainstream love song lyrics, but fine ethnic instrumentation

I guess out of my favorites only France, Serbia and Sweden will make it to the top 10.

I know that I will get castigated by my peers here, but the local radio station has decided to play the current Eurovision CD and kicked off with the Swedish song ... actually, it wasn't half bad ... post-104736-0-40759700-1336485309.gif ... who saw me admit that?

Hahaaahaha!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, we're down to the 26 finalists. Izabo's Israel entry happily dropped the clowns but still didn't make the finals. Lots of gossip online that the judging panel is anti-Israel. It wasn't a winning song but it seemed worthy of the finals.

Anyway ...

The finalists from wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurovision_2012

Edited by Jingthing

OK, now is the time to put yourself on the line.

If you please, name

1. Your personal favorite (who you think SHOULD win)

2. Your winner prediction (who WILL win)

Obviously there is some seriously messed up political stuff with the voting so they will tend to be different.

At this point, I like a number of the songs and probably won't be making picks.

But I do have a soft spot for the Babushskis!

I hear that Engelbert Humperdinck will be the first to perform......well he is quite old now and they don't want him nodding off during the song. violin.gif ,

Saw him on BBC news last night and thought..."GOD he looks old now",then found out that he is now 73, so it will be the English OAP and the Russian OAP'S

I guess everyone who cares knows who won by now!

I wasn't able to find a source in Thailand to watch the whole show yet so it's a bit of an anticlimax to know the winner before seeing the whole show.

Anyway, what's the dealio with the pattern of next year's host winning? I get the political stuff and the neighboring country stuff, but I don't get the next year's hosting country thing. But the winning song was definitely better than last year's winning song. I also think definitely overall the songs were better overall than last year. Watching this wrapup of the voting for the 26, I think my favorite is Macedonia.

Traditionally, next year's host, is the country that provides this year's winner, unless they've changed the tradition.

Anyway, it's supposed to be a fun thing, and not to be taken too seriously.

Traditionally, next year's host, is the country that provides this year's winner, unless they've changed the tradition.

Anyway, it's supposed to be a fun thing, and not to be taken too seriously.

Well, they're following the tradition then. I don't get it. Maybe it's a "European" thing. Like polite Japanese baseball where winning isn't everything? coffee1.gif

On the other hand, Sweden's Euphoria was a credible winner and was going to do well anyway. Last years winner, not so much ...

Edited by Jingthing

I don't feel so bad sheepish now.

Just saying like ...

Hey, I told y'all I was new to this Eurovision stuff. BTW, Graham Norton agreed with me that the songs were especially (mostly) good this year. Anyway, about the winner hosting ... so the winner MUST host then? That's the rule? And most countries don't want to pay for the hosting. That's very comical!

Under Eurovision rules, the winning nation must stage the pop contest in their own country the following year

Hey, I told y'all I was new to this Eurovision stuff. BTW, Graham Norton agreed with me that the songs were especially (mostly) good this year. Anyway, about the winner hosting ... so the winner MUST host then? That's the rule? And most countries don't want to pay for the hosting. That's very comical!

Under Eurovision rules, the winning nation must stage the pop contest in their own country the following year

I think the poor old Irish won three years running before twigging! biggrin.png