Major New Indian/Chinese (Vegetarian) Restaurant Find!

Jingthing

JT...can't you just go there and order masala dosa and chai for lunch?

Post a proper review!!

In good time. There is a huge menu and I won't be ordering masala dosa for a long time and I don't generally order chai. Too many more interesting things to order that are not on any menu in town. Like I said I already viewed and sampled their sweets case and they were super fantastic. Given this is a replica of well known, very well regarded Bangkok restaurant, the odds are their food quality is similar. I would like people as they try different dishes to comment on them to help people get some ideas on the best things to order there.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose that their prices are indeed more reasonable than paying the same amount in one of the non-aircon places across the road.

But it's still "best of a bad lot". I can eat Indian better and much cheaper in Singapore, and that just doesn't make sense.

Will keep my eyes open during the daytime to see if there are more people in there.

Ummmmmmmmm now let me see might Singapore have a lot more Indians and people of Indian extraction, supply and demand.

Ummmmmmmmm now let me see might Singapore have a lot more Indians and people of Indian extraction, supply and demand.

Certainly, but that should have little effect on prices. Prices are mostly dictated by costs and most if not all costs here should be much lower than they are in Singapore.

As for competition, most people would say that having a dozen empty Indian restaurants within a minute's walk of each other would normally lead to much competition and lower prices. But of course this is a land where cartels and price-fixing are endemic.

Some of us could use a little more information as to location than "across the street from Indian Touch." I mean, that description sorta make the presumptuous assumption that the reader has ever heard of, let alone knows the location of, Indian Touch! I assume they are located somewhere in the 3 dimensions we associate with normal space so would it be too much to ask for the street coordinates of this great new find?

Their website is included in my post, dude:

Which is what FarangBuddha himself replied when he was asked for details about Fairtex gym he mentioned in another thread. tongue.png

Some of us could use a little more information as to location than "across the street from Indian Touch." I mean, that description sorta make the presumptuous assumption that the reader has ever heard of, let alone knows the location of, Indian Touch! I assume they are located somewhere in the 3 dimensions we associate with normal space so would it be too much to ask for the street coordinates of this great new find?

Their website is included in my post, dude:

Which is what FarangBuddha himself replied when he was asked for details about Fairtex gym he mentioned in another thread. tongue.png

I was not providing a REVIEW of Fairtex...just a reply to someone looking for gym recommendations. When I review a new restaurant//store/gym/whatever, I certainly give more location information than "it is across the street" from some hotel no one has ever heard of!

Edited by FarangBuddha

In keeping with my suggestion that we report back on dishes tried at Saras, here goes.

I tried the

Sarson ka Saag Makki Di Roti, 140 baht

http://distinctlyuni...-makki-ki-roti/

First time I ever tried this dish. I asked for it spicy. The green vegetable mash curry was to my taste VERY MILD. The corn roti was excellent. I think Southern U.S.Americans would love the corn roti. The saag tasted lovely I suppose but too subtle for my palate. I think it would be a good light breakfast ... for a small child! I was suspicious that they "f-rangatized" me by making it mild, so I asked and was told this was SUPPOSED to be a mild dish. Reading the recipe, I remain skeptical. Does anyone know for sure? In any case, I am glad I tried it but probably won't order again as I am done with baby food. Also might be good for people trying to recover from stomach ailments.

Paneer Momos 135 baht

A GENEROUS serving of presumably Tibetan influenced Momo dumplings, stuffed with a very pleasant cheese and chopped veg. mixture, mostly cheese. Served with a very spicy dipping sauce. Not sure the dipping sauce will be the same as I got because remember I asked for spicy food, but it worked for me. Without the sauce, the Momos would have been too bland for me, but I used all the sauce, so I was happy.

These two dishes filled a hungry man (me) for about 300 baht including water. As the thalis are generally in the near 300 baht range, I think that's a fair estimate of the costs there if you skip dessert. I wasn't hungry enough for any sweets this time, but I was tempted.

Next time, I'm likely to check out one of the thali options.

Edited by Jingthing

I've never had that particular spinach dish but other Indian spinach dishes that I have had in the UK were indeed mild. Tasty, but mild.

You mention Thalis at 300B which seems a bit steep to me. How about the 120B Thali at the place over the road with the embarrassment of apostrophes? I quite fancy trying that.

I've never had that particular spinach dish but other Indian spinach dishes that I have had in the UK were indeed mild. Tasty, but mild.

You mention Thalis at 300B which seems a bit steep to me. How about the 120B Thali at the place over the road with the embarrassment of apostrophes? I quite fancy trying that.

I agree the thali price sounds a bit high but based on the pictures they are substantial plates. BTW, they are more like 270 and then there is a so called "South Indian meal" at 160 I think. I have had cheapo Thalis around that aren't very impressive. Personally I'm willing to pay more for more.

I think the corn roti dish with greens curry is supposed to be a different green than spinach. Namely, it is traditionally mustard greens which is why I ordered it because it sounded different. I honestly couldn't tell you if it was spinach or not but if I had to bet I would say it wasn't spinach. I have indeed had very spicy saag spinach dishes so I don't think there is a hard rule on that.

The Punjabi dish I had is a very specific famous dish in India. I had never heard of it before, but Indian people would know it.

BTW, tonight for an earlier dinner they had about 10 people eating. Given there are so many tables, that can look empty but not too bad.

Based on what I've sampled so far, I'm pretty confident they have their act together in the kitchen, not that I can make a direct comparison to their Bangkok location as I've never been there.

BTW, you could fill the old belly for well under 200 baht there I think. Perhaps a couple of their 15 baht samosas, then a masala dosa, and perhaps a sweet.

Edited by Jingthing

I agree the thali price sounds a bit high but based on the pictures they are substantial plates. BTW, they are more like 270 and then there is a so called "South Indian meal" at 160 I think. I have had cheapo Thalis around that aren't very impressive. Personally I'm willing to pay more for more.

BTW, you could fill the old belly for well under 200 baht there I think. Perhaps a couple of their 15 baht samosas, then a masala dosa, and perhaps a sweet.

This Thali http://saras.co.th/set-meals/daal-bati-churma-thali.html doesn't look as though it would fill my large yellow stomach, though appearances can be deceptive. I think I would have to order some samosas etc. to go with it. If it had a half-dozen chapatis instead of just one it might be another matter though. With Thalis I've had outside Thailand the chapatis kept on coming, and just one seems a bit mean to soak up all that sauce.

I would like to try this place. However, painful as it is to admit it, I still need further directions. Yes, I know where Pratamnak Road is. But despite living in central Pattaya for a number of years I don't know any of the landmarks mentioned by posters and websites.

Hidden deep in this thread is the information that Saras is located in somewhere called the Sun City Hotel on Pratamnak Road.

Where on Pratamnak Road is the Sun City Hotel? I assume it's between Pattaya Tai and the flyover?

The only landmarks I know are the VC Hotel and good old Punjabi Tadka.

Thank you for your indulgence.

Thanks, pauljones. Yes, I looked at their website before.

I'll be going with a friend who finds it difficult to get around. This is why I'm really trying to pinpoint the place.

I can feel a general moan about inscrutable Thai addresses coming over me (not directed at you pauljones, incidentally).

557 Moo 10 Pratamnak Road? What's that mean? 557 Pratamnak Road perhaps? Somehow I doubt that properties in that area will be numbered in a way that makes this useful information. (But I may be wrong.)

And I looked at that Google map that's linked to their website. It seems to call Pratamnak Road 'Sai Song' (which is of course Second Road). And much of the rest of the map is in Thai. Not fantastically helpful.

However, persevering with that map, battling the confusion, am I safe to deduce that the Sun City Hotel is on the same side of the road as Punjabi Tadka? And that it is perhaps 100-200 yards south of Punjabi Tadka ie heading towards Jomtien?

Thanks.

Edited by AbeSurd

And I looked at that Google map that's linked to their website. It seems to call Pratamnak Road 'Sai Song' (which is of course Second Road). And much of the rest of the map is in Thai. Not fantastically helpful.

However, persevering with that map, battling the confusion, am I safe to deduce that the Sun City Hotel is on the same side of the road as Punjabi Tadka? And that it is perhaps 100-200 yards south of Punjabi Tadka ie heading towards Jomtien?

Moo references are indeed a pain in the backside to make sense of. What was ever wrong with numbering by the meter from the start of the road? Accurate, sensible, extensible, easy.

As far as I know Pratumnak Rd starts where the bend and the stop sign are, and before that it is 2nd Rd.

The Sun City place is more or less opposite the Punjabi Tadka, close to the Siam Bayshore and the Nova place.

As far as I know Pratumnak Rd starts where the bend and the stop sign are, and before that it is 2nd Rd.

The Sun City place is more or less opposite the Punjabi Tadka, close to the Siam Bayshore and the Nova place.

"More or less opposite the Punjabi Tadka" will do me. Thanks.

This is fun. The Google map has Sun City on the same side as Punjabi Tadka - whatever road it is. And I have a hardcopy map that has the northernmost point of Pratamnak Road at the crossroads with Pattaya Tai. Of course both Sun City Hotel and Saras seem to believe they're on Pratamnak Road.

Looking at the map, it is across from the Camelot Hotel and just before the Erawan Hotel.

550 meters from Pattaya Tai.

130 meters from Thappaya Rd. (left to Jomtien)

It s easy to see the place when driving by.

When coming from Pattaya towards Jomtien, it will be on your right.

Edited by pauljones

^still no word on whether they sell beer???

No booze. No meat.

Well if that's the case, I give it 6 months tops...just eliminated 90% of their potential market!

How daft. Don't you realize their main target market is INDIAN people and that a huge percentage of them are strictly vegetarian? So for that segment, this place is going to be on the TOP of the list of places they will want to try. Edited by Jingthing

This is fun. The Google map has Sun City on the same side as Punjabi Tadka - whatever road it is. And I have a hardcopy map that has the northernmost point of Pratamnak Road at the crossroads with Pattaya Tai. Of course both Sun City Hotel and Saras seem to believe they're on Pratamnak Road.

I think that must be the old location of Punjabi Tadka. It is now on the other side of the road, next to the Camelot. So Sun City is about 50 yards down going towards Pratumnak on the sea side of the road, and next door to the entrance to Siam Bayshore.

Google Maps seems to call that road 2nd Rd right up to the flyover, where according to them it becomes Pratumnak Rd.

This Thali http://saras.co.th/s...urma-thali.html doesn't look as though it would fill my large yellow stomach, though appearances can be deceptive. I think I would have to order some samosas etc. to go with it. If it had a half-dozen chapatis instead of just one it might be another matter though. With Thalis I've had outside Thailand the chapatis kept on coming, and just one seems a bit mean to soak up all that sauce.

I paid a visit to Saras yesterday and I was the only customer at 19:00. As has been said, the place is huge and I felt a little bit lonely in there. It's not exactly laid out in a way that would give you an intimate dining experience, being more of a fast-food configuration - in fact, it says something like 'Fast Food Indian Restaurant' on the glass doors at the front of the place.

The menu certainly had a lot of items - I think that you could eat there every day for a year without repeating yourself. I am a bit of a novice when it comes to Indian food that is not of the UK variety, hence I didn't recognise most of the items on offer. So, I took the easy way out and opted for a Gujarati Thali.

I didn't really recognise most of the components of this either, except for the two rotis and the pappadum. There were a couple of vegetable dishes, a spicy soup of some kind, a yoghurt-based dish that I couldn't decide whether it was savoury or sweet - maybe a bit of both - and a sweet amorphous white ball of something in a syrupy liquid. There was also some pickle - not enough of this - and some cucumber and raw onion. The whole ensemble was extremely tasty and I really enjoyed it. It probably would not have been sufficient to fill our yellow friend's stomach though - in fact it didn't fill me up either so ...

... I ordered some paneer momos to fill the remaining space. The momos came in a set of six and were quite bland - just another variety of dim-sum I suppose. However, they did come with a sauce that I could have started a fire with! Very tasty!

The total bill, including a sweet lassi drink and VAT came to 535 Baht. This is really no more than I often pay at The Punjabi Tadka or at Indian Touch - albeit for different dishes - so not too bad really. The service was OK - but i was the inly customer so what it would be like when they are full - if they ever get full - is open to speculation.

Anyway, my verdict is that the place is well worth a visit and gives the opportunity to try some quite different dishes to those that you are probably used to. I shall go back - very soon - and I'll try to be a bit more adventurous next time.

DM

Good review, DM, but I'm surprised it took over 500 B to satisfy your hunger. I think most people can get out of there in the 300 baht range. I agree about the paneer momos, bland in itself but what a wow dipping sauce.

Yes it is billed as fast food. Not clear yet if they want you to order at the counter or not though they will take your order at the table. Of course there is food case for the sweet desserts (as said before, really excellent and definitely nothing like it in Pattaya) and some other savory items like somosas, etc.. Not sure the fast food label matters to the food. If you order a masala dosa, they fry you up a dosa just the same as any Indian restaurant not labeled fast food.

Edited by Jingthing

Good review, DM, but I'm surprised it took over 500 B to satisfy your hunger. I think most people can get out of there in the 300 baht range. I agree about the paneer momos, bland in itself but what a wow dipping sauce.

Yes it is billed as fast food. Not clear yet if they want you to order at the counter or not though they will take your order at the table. Of course there is food case for the sweet desserts (as said before, really excellent and definitely nothing like it in Pattaya) and some other savory items like somosas, etc.. Not sure the fast food label matters to the food. If you order a masala dosa, they fry you up a dosa just the same as any Indian restaurant not labeled fast food.

Price breakdown is as follows:

Gujarati Thali: 275 Baht

Paneer Momos: 135 Baht

Lassi: 90 Baht

VAT @ 7% 35 Baht

TOTAL 535 Baht

Agreed that you could feed for less but would you be replete?

DM

Edited by doctormann

I get it now. I drink water!

BTW, I recommend the colored malai desert with cheese balls! A seemingly small portion but very delicious and filling; something like 50 baht.

Edited by Jingthing

This Thali http://saras.co.th/s...urma-thali.html doesn't look as though it would fill my large yellow stomach, though appearances can be deceptive. I think I would have to order some samosas etc. to go with it. If it had a half-dozen chapatis instead of just one it might be another matter though. With Thalis I've had outside Thailand the chapatis kept on coming, and just one seems a bit mean to soak up all that sauce.

I paid a visit to Saras yesterday and I was the only customer at 19:00.

Waiting for those hordes of Indian vegetarians no doubt...sounds to me more like waiting for Godot :)

I paid a visit to Saras yesterday and I was the only customer at 19:00.

Waiting for those hordes of Indian vegetarians no doubt...sounds to me more like waiting for Godot smile.png

In any case they appear here to stay awhile and why would anyone care how empty they are unless you're an investor. For diners, it could be a good thing. Faster service. thumbsup.gif