What Is It With Bib

chooka

I live in an Estate in Chiangmai and last night there were a number of burglaries in our street/soi. The homes on either side of us, and across the road as well as further down where hit. Ours wasn't touched, my wife was watching T.V until around 1 a.m when she fell asleep and woke at around 3 a.m and turned off the T.V. With the T.V going they probably thought someone was still up. The Estate has 24/7 security and CCTV in every soi.

The modus operandi of the crooks was to attempt to manipulate the front door locks or remove the louvre windows, gaining access and stealing phones, cash laptops and other such small items. The homes are are two storey with bedrooms upstairs. I have been a police officer in Australia for 18 years working in CIU/CIB units and other major departments and had a look around advising the nieghbours not to touch anything until the BIB arrived. What I observed was a smorgasbord of evidence and every coppers dream. Beautiful latent palm and fingerprints on the louvres and the best sole prints on the white tile floors. This is the 3rd such burglaries in 6 months and all identical. Each time they occured in the early hours of a Tuesday morning when the rubbish is collected (around 2 a.m) however in a different soi but the most blatant thing that stands out is that each time the CCTV camera's where not working in the paticular soi on these nights that the garbage is collected. Working in every other street that were not targetted.

Anyway this morning the BIB turn up as requested, 2 in uniform and 2 plain clothes alledgedly "DETECTIVES" and the cream of the local constabulary and armed with only a pen and piece of paper, no crime scene kit nothing. They simply took a few victim details, no list or serial numbers or models of items stolen, no photographs and when the beautiful latent fingerprints were pointed out along with the sole prints they just shrugged them off without even inspecting them. I stood there dunbfounded and totally amazed. When they were informed of the other incidents they simply replied "COINCIDENCE". They did not canvass other nieghbours just in case someone may have seen or heard anything and the result of thier investigation was, "No witnesses nothing we can do, speak to your insurance company and come and get a form from the police station for them.

I had never encounted such an inept group of investigators in my life. They whole investigation was on a plate for them, evidence and prime suspects. The ist thing I would have done was to lift the prints, photograph and measure the sole prints, check with security why the CCTV was not working in the particular sois on each night, cross check thier prints and those of the garbage collectors. I would have guessed that this matter and a number of others could have been wrapped up by lunch time.

Or maybe the BIB are just smart, issue the police report so people can claim their insurance with the least amount of fuss...

Investigating crime takes the BIB away from the real reason they are BIB....daily contributions to the policeman tea fund, lets face it the cost of lao khao is going up and they have to pay for their Mia Noi's some how....investigating crimes like this does not generate revenue..

I am sure if you offered Thailand finest a little financial incentive to find the culprits, they would have them in handcuffs within 24 hours, or let me rephase that..they would have someone in handcuffs who said they did it at least..signed confession and all....receive their financial incentive...you feel justice is done, and BiB can pay for their Mai Noi for another week...everyone happy

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

Or maybe the BIB are just smart, issue the police report so people can claim their insurance with the least amount of fuss...

Investigating crime takes the BIB away from the real reason they are BIB....daily contributions to the policeman tea fund, lets face it the cost of lao khao is going up and they have to pay for their Mia Noi's some how....investigating crimes like this does not generate revenue..

I am sure if you offered Thailand finest a little financial incentive to find the culprits, they would have them in handcuffs within 24 hours, or let me rephase that..they would have someone in handcuffs who said they did it at least..signed confession and all....receive their financial incentive...you feel justice is done, and BiB can pay for their Mai Noi for another week...everyone happy

probably true, our place didn't get knocked over so I can't complain. It was just my observations of thier police work that truely amazed me and thier total lack of committment to the job, the sheer lazyness.

So, I assume you took the prints yourself?

Next step, a few cans of beer laos to the garbage men keeping the cans. Cross reference. Then when they match, walk to the security guards room and hit him with a bag of somtam and tell him next time he turns the video off and lets his mates in, he'll get a smack in the chops with a Fortuna.

• Like 1

My house was broken into a number of years back while I was asleep in the bedroom. The missus (then gf) was away at the time. I'm actually thankful i'd had a few beers the night before, they put me out cold. I think if i'd woken up things would have turned nasty, and probably for me.

Anyway, woke up, realised through the fog of my hangover what had happened (it took a few moments though, my first thought was, 'what the fuc_k did I do last night, I wasn't that drunk was I?'). I called the missus so that she could call the BiB, which she did. Their response in was basically, 'oh really? that's unfortunate, make sure you change your locks.' Next call I made was to school, the Director (great bloke) came round. He then called the BiB, and they were there within 20mins fingerprinting the whole place, even my empty beer bottles from the night before.

As with so much in LOS, if you know the right people, things get done.

Next step, a few cans of beer laos to the garbage men keeping the cans. Cross reference. Then when they match, walk to the security guards room and hit him with a bag of somtam and tell him next time he turns the video off and lets his mates in, he'll get a smack in the chops with a Fortuna.

You should join the BiB...there we go...30 seconds cased solved..clap2.gif

"You. Passport. You dropped cigarette floor. Read. 2000 baht first offence. Me search. Oh you have big bag of YaBaaa in bag with evidence written on it. You go jail. They execute you. You pay on spot fine 40,000 baht no receipt."

How did I do? Would it be better is I went back to sleep after this?

Not much different from the U.K police force. Years ago my flat was burgled in the daytime along with the other two above and below us. The burglars sh*t in the kitchen of the flat above ours and left dogends in our flat and plod did nothing. Even when I pointed out that there have been a spate of burglaries in the area since the pikeys moved in up the road. All I got was a shrug and a crime number.

858 post and you are just figuring out now the the ineptness about the BIB ????

Either you are new to Thailand or you too are not a very good detective smile.png 555

I had heard the stories and read the remarks on here and took it all with a grain of salt. Thought couldn't really be that bad but then I witnessed it 1st hand and it was like being hit by a Mack truck.

"You. Passport. You dropped cigarette floor. Read. 2000 baht first offence. Me search. Oh you have big bag of YaBaaa in bag with evidence written on it. You go jail. They execute you. You pay on spot fine 40,000 baht no receipt."

How did I do? Would it be better is I went back to sleep after this?

I think you are a little low on the YaBaaa fine, After all this is a farang...they are all rich..but as a first attempt...give you 8/10..clap2.gif

Well done Corporal Somchai....now learn a little English to increase your earnings and we will make you a Sgt...

Either you are new to Thailand or you too are not a very good detective smile.png 555

I had heard the stories and read the remarks on here and took it all with a grain of salt. Thought couldn't really be that bad but then I witnessed it 1st hand and it was like being hit by a Mack truck.

One of those ..... it won't happen to me ..... lol

BIB ... estate security .... and Garbage collectors in bed together

Makes for a bad threesome

Sick B*stard....I cant get this image out my head now...bah.gif

Like "two girls and a cup", that image will stay with me forever.

probably true, our place didn't get knocked over so I can't complain. It was just my observations of thier police work that truely amazed me and thier total lack of committment to the job, the sheer lazyness.

They are committed to something, but its not investigative police work,....You are never going to see a TV show called CSI Thailand thats for certain

LOL

Sick B*stard....I cant get this image out my head now...bah.gif

Like "two girls and a cup", that image will stay with me forever.

Not that I know what you are referring to ... but for me Mr Whippy chocolate ice-cream has lost it's appeal for probably this decade.

There must be a department within the Thai police where Joe Public can make a complaint about the performance of police. In Melbourne it is called the Ethical Standards Department, if you are not satisfied with the level of service provided you report it.

My house was broken into a number of years back while I was asleep in the bedroom. The missus (then gf) was away at the time. I'm actually thankful i'd had a few beers the night before, they put me out cold. I think if i'd woken up things would have turned nasty, and probably for me.

Anyway, woke up, realised through the fog of my hangover what had happened (it took a few moments though, my first thought was, 'what the fuc_k did I do last night, I wasn't that drunk was I?'). I called the missus so that she could call the BiB, which she did. Their response in was basically, 'oh really? that's unfortunate, make sure you change your locks.' Next call I made was to school, the Director (great bloke) came round. He then called the BiB, and they were there within 20mins fingerprinting the whole place, even my empty beer bottles from the night before.

This and how much you Thai wife/husband/family are worth.

This and how much you Thai wife/husband/family are worth.

For sure.

Money and connections (and therefore influence) go hand-in-hand.

Do Thai police stations have individual bank accounts to pay into.

last week I was in an SCB branch near to a well known station that lets just say is well know for its practices, when a police woman came in with bundles of cash and paid it into an account.

What you think their job is to solve crimes? No, this is Thailand, you're mistaken if you think much works here as it is supposed to (but often doesn't even) back home.

They will give it a bit of effort if you pay them directly, or of course if you're powerful enough to put pressure on their boss.

There must be a department within the Thai police where Joe Public can make a complaint about the performance of police. In Melbourne it is called the Ethical Standards Department, if you are not satisfied with the level of service provided you report it.

Thanks George, I just spat coffee all over my key board when I read this. "Ethical Standards Department" This is Thailand there are NO ethics here.

• Like 1

No money to be gained out of investigating so why bother. No finger print data base i suspect and culprits were probably migrants from other area's and untraceable. Personally i would not even bother reporting it. Even with cctv they could not really do any thing as culprits are intransiant and unless caught in possesion no case. one thing that is clear who ever operates the cctc, security guard is in on it and knows culprits, that would be enough for me.

Edited by marstons

i went into a station one night to complain that someone had nicked the tax and number plate off my motorbike

3 cops in an otherwise empty station ,keep us waiting for 10 minuutes at reception even though they knew we were there

then invited us into the big room behind reception where they had a enormous plasma tv on the wall nearly as big as a cinema screen

and the 3 of them were watching a movie which ironically was about cops chasing down a bad guy in america (jumping from roof to roof and smashing through glass windows and high speed police chases to catch the suspect cheesy.gif )

all 3 of them glued to the screen ,watching it in fascination :D

the youngest cop was given the task of writing our report ,with one eye on the movie at all times he asked a couple of questions and them gave us the " official police report "

(a scrap of paper that says a number plate was stolen recently from a motorcycle ,basically worthless )

we said thanks and i left with a smile on my face ,to let them get back to their "police work "

fxxking hilarious !

OP,

Are you kidding me?

You claim to be in law enforcement yourself, when have you ever seen a forensics unit out for a burglary?

latent prints, are you joking?

do you have any idea how much it costs to process that stuff? or how much it costs to send a tech to the scene for a few laptops and the odd tv?

has anyone out there seen a fingerprint unit respond to a petty burglary in their home country, ever?

give me a break officer chooka (ret)

Edited by nocturn

Op, being a former police officer have you considered that your quote is a bit misplaced...........

I had never encounted such an inept group of investigators in my life.

Maybe you have encountered an excellent bunch of co-conspirators?

Follow the money Sir, always follow the money coffee1.gif

OP,

Are you kidding me?

You claim to be in law enforcement yoursef, when have you ever seen a forensics unit out for a burglary?

latent prints, are you joking?

do you have any idea how much it costs to process that stuff? or how much it costs to send a tech to the scene for a few laptops and the odd tv?

has anyone out there seen a fingerprint unit respond to a petty burglary in their home country, ever?

give me a break officer chooka (ret)

when i lived in dublin ,they cops actually did dust for prints after a burglary

there was a clear footprint on the bathroom floor of a certain type of sports shoe

(nike airmax ) when i pointed it out to them ,they just laughed and said nearly every scumbag

in the city has a pair of those ,i said do they all wear the same size as well ? would it not be another

piece of useful evidence if you happen to arrest someone ? they just shook their heads and said no

they also found a syringe half full of blood in the bath and told us that it was likely to be used to

threaten stabbing with "hiv infected blood " as was popular at the time for junkie related crimes

if anyone interrupted the burglary

it seems police are incompetent even in the west ,theyre just better at it in thailand ...:)