Bkk To Hua Hin

shdevine

Thanks to all of you for your comments and suggestions.

The minivan/minibus option seems a bit faster than the train (and cheaper), but poses some safety risks and I don't know if there's a fixed departure schedule from Victory Monument?

I will be meeting a friend at the airport (arriving from Chiang Mai) at about 1:30 p.m. mid-week and we plan to go directly to Hua Hin. Sounds like we can probably line up a taxi for approx 2000THB (maybe a bit more, inclusive of tolls) and it will take approx. 3 hours. This appears to be the best option (although a bit costlier than I would have planned on) when I consolidate all the responses received.

Even if we were feeling bold and adventurous, it sounds like it would be more like 5-6 hours if we were to go to Victory Monument and take our chances with the minivans, not to mention uncertainty as to schedule, and it will be mid to late afternoon by then, so we might be banging up against rush hour traffic. I don't want to run the risk of not pulling into Hua Hin until 8 or 9 p.m., and this would be a very real possibility based on a few of the responses I received.

Have I got it about right?

No I don't believe that you have. However, this is moot as you have already done your trip.

I would suggest that you would easily make it in 3.5 hrs , max 4hrs, from the Airport to HH using a combo of the Airport Line, BTS (1 stop) and mini van from Victory to HH which depart every 20mins. All up that would cost you 210 baht.

(I am not going to debate the safety merits of mini vans v taxis/private hire as many taxi drivers are hardly much better - for some vans are fine , for others not. The stark reality is one rolls the dice by just being present on a thai road regardless of the mode of transport).

It all depends on what your main priorities for a trip are, and these usually vary for each and every trip.

Pls do take the time to advise what you ended up doing in the end and your thoughts on your choice of travel as helps build the info base for others.

I have to second the minivans--they're much faster and more comfortable than the trains. And cheaper.

- and more dangerous!

I never go with MiniVans, havent you been aware of all the accidents? Young drivers, no experience, drive fast, earn a commission etc.

Take the train, dont sit in the frontcars, dam_n rodfai have accidents too!

Yep, I know, Im scared after 12 years in LOS with no accidents, the place is crazy, maybe my karma-number is up next, whoop-whoop!

I came today back from Pattaya and the driver did it from South Pattaya to Victory in 1:20h - 100Baht

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com