Thailand To Host Motocross World Championship Next Year

webfact

Thailand to host Motocross GP next year

Lerpong Amsangiam

The Nation

30181200-01_big.jpg

Philippe Rahmani

BANGKOK: -- After more than a decade of involvement in the Thai motocross scene, former rider Phillipe Rahmani has finally realised his dream of introducing the first ever MotorCross World Championship here next year.

Rahmani, now overseas developer for Youth Stream Dreams Factory, sanctioned by the International Motorcycling Federation (FIM) to organise the MotorCross World Championship, signed a threeyeardeal with Thongchai Wongsawan, president of the Federation of the Motor Sports Clubs of Thailand (FMSCT), to stage the event.

The date of the first race has yet to be announced, but the venue will be at the Pinthong Industrial Estate No 3 in Sri Racha, Chonburi.

"When people arrive at Suvarnnabhumi Airport, they are within an hour's highway drive of Sri Racha. And it takes 10 minutes to reach the circuit. So there's no worry about traffic,'' said Rahmani.

Apart from easy access and good facilities, the exotic ambience is another aspect Rahmani considers will make the Thailand stop unique among the other 15 championship races, most of which take place in Europe.

"It's very green for people in Europe. We've never seen tapioca fields, coconut or papaya trees along a track," he said.

At 1.75 kilometres long and eight metres wide, the planned circuit will be designed to meet FIM requirements and must be completed four months ahead of competition. As the European series normally kicks off in April, Rahmani is planning for the Sri Racha leg to be the season opener in March next year, to avoid the hottest month, April.

Thailand's event will feature two classes, the MX1 450cc fourstroke and MX2 250cc fourstroke, each racing two heats. Some 39 competitors will take part in each class over 16 circuits, with the best time from all races deciding the winner.

Confident that the event will receive positive reactions from local and international motor sports fans, Rahmani also wants to bring the FIM World Motorcross of Nations - the socalled Olympics of Motorcross - to Thailand in 2017.

"It will be very big. There would be some 60,000 people arriving for this event where competitors ride for their countries,'' said Rahmani.

Thongchai, also the Motorcycle Sport Association (MSAT) president, expects the event will combine sports with entertainment.

"It's not only riders who are looking forward to the Thailand race but fans too. We will have a food festival, racing academy and a rock concert the day before the race so people can stay overnight. "Our concept is 'Sporternainment','' said Thongchai.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-05-03

<deleted> is 'Sporternainment' ...

This will be pretty good if it can be done and I really hope that there is enough support in Thailand to assist all the visiting teams to make their trips worthwhile and as trouble free as possible,

but.....

• Like 1

Ahhh...cool! I hope I am here to see this. Coming from America I really miss motocross riding. That is why I go back every summer to ride ride ride.

Why don't you ride in Thailand? Tons of tracks around. Or do you compete competatively?

• Like 1

This is gonna be sweet, but I didn't even know there was a "Thai motorcross scene". I posted a while back about where to ride motocross in Thailand and no one ever replied. Ahhh!! It just came to me why no one replied...it's 'cause I'm a girl! giggle.gif

• Like 2

To give it the authentic Thai flavour helmets will be banned and there must be three other people on the bike apart from the rider.

And don't forget, talking on a cell phone while driving drunk. That should about cover it. w00t.gif

This is gonna be sweet, but I didn't even know there was a "Thai motorcross scene". I posted a while back about where to ride motocross in Thailand and no one ever replied. Ahhh!! It just came to me why no one replied...it's 'cause I'm a girl! giggle.gif

Its not huge, but I went to the local races acoupla months ago. In the boonies. Some semi? pros were there kitted out, but also guys in flannies and Dunlop volleys, no gloves. They were still racers though, I think prizemoney in one class was 10k baht but didn't hang around for the prize giving. I've seen a few tracks around in other places.

I hope they can carry this off OK I will make the effort to come down for sure

Its not huge, but I went to the local races acoupla months ago. In the boonies. Some semi? pros were there kitted out, but also guys in flannies and Dunlop volleys, no gloves. They were still racers though, I think prizemoney in one class was 10k baht but didn't hang around for the prize giving. I've seen a few tracks around in other places.

I used to ride AMA (not WMA) Class A, so nothing could ever compare to that experience, but it would be fun to race again before I slip into my twilight years of mediocrity. So It looks like I'm gonna ship my bikes over from the States, dust off my pink helmet and up my medical insurance!

I used to ride AMA (not WMA) Class A, so nothing could ever compare to that experience, but it would be fun to race again before I slip into my twilight years of mediocrity. So It looks like I'm gonna ship my bikes over from the States, dust off my pink helmet and up my medical insurance!

Check how much that is going to cost you, otherwise your nice bikes will end up being ridden around bangkok by a police colonel who got them "cheap in an auction"

How do you think most of the Ferrari club of Thailand- who are police - got their cars???

My initial reaction to this announcement was " brilliant ", but then I started to think about all those poor international teams trying to compete with the Thai riders. Whilst the international riders would be revving up behind the tapes, countless Thai riders would simply pull up in front of them -- just like they do at every set of traffic lights.....

To give it the authentic Thai flavour helmets will be banned and there must be three other people on the bike apart from the rider.

And don't forget, talking on a cell phone while driving drunk. That should about cover it. w00t.gif

Who would pay to watch that? You can see all of it for free everywhere in Thailand!

ROTFLMAO!!! cheesy.gif

What about having to stop at some point to hand over 200 baht to somebody in a brown uniform?

This is a MUST SEE!

I've been to many pro MX races and could never have imagined how exciting this is.

I hope Thailand supports this venture. It would be great to see some former pro MX racers from all over race there.

What a get-away! Not far for the incredible Kiwi and Ausie racers too. Team 2-2 moto needs to show up for drill here.

Albertine where are you?

If you guys could see Villopoto race up close it would be so cool, but he snapped his knee off again and will be out a while. This guy was scary fast even as a 65cc MX racer kid.