Australia Wants Thai Workers To Work In Its Construction Industry

webfact

Australia wants Thai workers to work in its construction industry

BANGKOK, 3 May 2012 (NNT) - Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Labor Mrs. Songsri Boonba has revealed Australia is seeking skilled labor from Thailand to work in that country’s construction industry under a government-to-government contract.

The Permanent Secretary said she had met with a delegation from Australia’s Northern Territory led by Mr. Greg Wallace, the charge d’affaires from the Australian Embassy in Bangkok, as well as representatives from the business sector in Australia to discuss the possibility of sending Thai workers to Australia.

Over 20,000 workers have been requested by Australia, all of whom must have experience and possess some English speaking skill that is acceptable to Australian employers. She stressed that it is important for them to be able to communicate in order to express their thoughts and feelings.

Language skill is required for workers’ own safety and to prevent them from being taken advantage of. To fulfill this requirement, the Department of Employment and the Department of Skill Development will provide those who are qualified for the positions with a language training program.

Mrs. Songsri said, however, that both countries will have to discuss this matter in details including the methods of selecting workers and testing their skill and which sides should be responsible for the process.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-05-03 footer_n.gif

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This could be great opportunity for Thai workers who are skilled to a high degree, some are though most aren't but all receive a comparative pittance to what they could earn in Farangland.

But you have to ask why?

after watching my house being built i wouldnt employ any workers from this coutry even though they call themselves technichines , never saw anything technical in anything they did but as a farang coulndt say a word about it to them and only got thats how thai do from my wife when complaining to her to try and get things done properly.

• Like 2

after watching my house being built i wouldnt employ any workers from this coutry even though they call themselves technichines , never saw anything technical in anything they did but as a farang coulndt say a word about it to them and only got thats how thai do from my wife when complaining to her to try and get things done properly.

This is part of the reason why I said what I posted in post #4

Hope they have to do 90 day reporting in Aussie. smile.png

On a serioous note, the Aussies must be desperate, there are NO standards in this country. Thousands will die in Australia from collapsing buildings, bad electrical installation etc.

and bamboo scaffolding...

But in reality, there would be much better countries to import labour from that do have basic english skills already......like New Zealand.

Edited by samsiam

I recall reading on this very forum some years back that Thai workers were popular in Saudi because of their cheerful attitude. I'm pretty sure they must have had to have some English skills.

I wholeheartedly agree with the posters reporting their trials and tribulations with those locals (not all necessarily Thai, most are either Burmese or Mon) who are in turn employed by the Thai gangmaster/boss who sees only what cash is in it for him and never mind the customer, the cheaper the labour the better.

Then of course there may be the odd friend of a friend who's trying to scrape by before the harvest is in and will do a botch job, for peanuts.

However, the THAI workers I have had the good fortune to have work for me most recently, the latest being an excellent electrician, the former, a carpenter, have carried out remarkably good work and asked and were paid over and above the former group. Yes more expensive, but no problems, unlike the many rip off farang fleecing people, leaving shoddy work in their wake at three times the rate, minimum. Farang trust their own kind, I have no idea why.

• Like 2

I think it would be a huge culture shock.

As some have already said English language skills to communicate, OH&S requirements in the Australian workforce. Add the fact that a lot of the jobs are in remote places with no Thai soap operas on TV, and few Thai food options.

As some have already said English language skills to communicate, OH&S requirements in the Australian workforce. Add the fact that a lot of the jobs are in remote places with no Thai soap operas on TV, and few Thai food options.

Yes! No som tam and cannot drive like a lunatic. They will return home in a week. :)

• Like 1

The food would not be a problem if they all learn to like lamb. wink.png

well, it's not so much Australia wants Thai people to work in Australia but, Australia does need experienced and qualified people to work in Australia regardless of where they come from. the shithouse "tradesmen" that build your thai houses would not get a look in.

if you ever get the chance to see the places in Australia where skilled labor is in demand, it is full of people on 457 visas living out of dongas making a shitload of cash. Lots of Irish, Philipinos, the greeks and spanish will be part of the next influx.

Employers who employ people on 457 visas pay as much and sometimes more as the Australians, it's not a grab for cheap skilled labor but a need to fill vacant positions.

some of you TV posters should get on it.

Edited by dickyknee
  • Like 2

This could be great opportunity for Thai workers who are skilled to a high degree, some are though most aren't but all receive a comparative pittance to what they could earn in Farangland.

But you have to ask why?

I think the Australians are also hoping to pay them a comparative pittance.

Hope they have to do 90 day reporting in Aussie. smile.png

On a serioous note, the Aussies must be desperate, there are NO standards in this country. Thousands will die in Australia from collapsing buildings, bad electrical installation etc.

Have thousands died in Thailand from collapsing buildings, bad electrical installation etc?

Surely there would be supervision by Australian architects, builders......

But you have to ask why?

I think the Australians are also hoping to pay them a comparative pittance.

nope, it's not about replacing local staff with cheaper imported staff. it's about finding qualified tradesmen to fill fill the job vacancies.

they get paid the same or more.

• Like 1

I've worked overseas with Thai workers for about 15 years. With the Philippine workers they are definitely the best in Asia and probably are the most comfortable workers to work with in the world! The problems start when they come home, then they become the laziest, dumbest most switched off workers in the world, bar none! I've seen guys who can hold their heads up amongst the best of the best become lao kow, mango eating, under tree sleeping zombies in one week of their return to the of land of smiles...I've asked them "why?" "Because we can" is the usual response!

20,000 workers, look out Australia, these little guys are going to give you a lesson in co-operation and good work attitude!

Yes! No som tam and cannot drive like a lunatic. They will return home in a week. smile.png

hahaha you guys are so funny, i have been laughing my head off reading your comments

Buildings falling down on our heads lol oh dear

So i would guess that the buildings would end up looking the same as they do after a year in the hands of the indiginous population anyway, so i guess we could live with that. Northern Territory? a normal day. haha

Edited by HowardH

I recall reading on this very forum some years back that Thai workers were popular in Saudi because of their cheerful attitude. I'm pretty sure they must have had to have some English skills.

You recall incorrectly, as Thai workers have not been welcome in Saudi for many years because of the Blue Diamond Affair.

There's already loads of Philippinos working here in the NT. I honestly don't see what Thais could offer nor why they are needed in such numbers. They won't get near big projects such as Inpex.

Additionally there are no direct flights to Darwin from Thailand, the only way here is via another Australian city or via Singapore on Jetstar or Silk Air.

I suspect the idea will never see the light of day and it is wishful thinking on the Thai minister's behalf.

20,000 is almost a tenth of the population of the NT.

Fortunately no Thai soaps here, we have enough of our own!

The remotest parts parts of Australia funnily enough cater for the Asian table.

As well as learning English language skills for their own safety I also hope they are educated in OH and S standards.

I've worked overseas with Thai workers for about 15 years. With the Philippine workers they are definitely the best in Asia and probably are the most comfortable workers to work with in the world! The problems start when they come home, then they become the laziest, dumbest most switched off workers in the world, bar none! I've seen guys who can hold their heads up amongst the best of the best become lao kow, mango eating, under tree sleeping zombies in one week of their return to the of land of smiles...I've asked them "why?" "Because we can" is the usual response!

20,000 workers, look out Australia, these little guys are going to give you a lesson in co-operation and good work attitude!

cheesy.gif