Homeless Farang

farang000999

some people are a little harsh, okay in Thailand granted: these homeless farang may well have spent all their money and have nowhere to live and ultimately need help (to get home) but most / a lot of homeless in the UK are ex-servicemen. That said we often used to see a guy in soi 8 who was offered help but never wanted it, still the local stall holders and the 7-11 used to hand out stuff to him - he hasn't been seen in over 6 months, he had tatty shorts, ripped shirt and one shoe, only God knows how old he is and where he came from, he kept himself vey much to himself.

I think for some people, life on the streets is the natural path they would follow wherever they are and they would rather do it somewhere warm.

Someone posted mental health issues in many homeless and I cant deny that. But what came first, the mental health issue or the homelessness. I know id probably go insane after awhile of being homeless, treated as if you don't exist, and maybe I wouldn't want to exist.

what about his visa? surely an 'overstayer'? how does he (they) go unnoticed by the Police?

The guy is penniless. They don't care about him.

yea I get that - but he can't have a valid visa right? so you would think he would be given to his embassy and shipped home? otherwise 1000s of farang would catch onto the new 'dodge a visa gig' and claim they were 'penniless' and don't need a legal visa

Who really cares? I've seen homeless Thais but I've never seen anybody start a thread about them...

Most of them (the Thais as well as the Caucasians) strike me as being good-for-nothing, lazy bums.

Given the choice between working or living off of others they choose the latter.

Oh, and the counter argument that "farangs" aren't allowed to work in Thailand is a pretty lame excuse. I'm not Thai and I work here (legally).

Yes, both thais and foreigners are like that. We do not even have to split it up between caucasians and other foreigners.

what about his visa? surely an 'overstayer'? how does he (they) go unnoticed by the Police?

The guy is penniless. They don't care about him.

yea I get that - but he can't have a valid visa right? so you would think he would be given to his embassy and shipped home? otherwise 1000s of farang would catch onto the new 'dodge a visa gig' and claim they were 'penniless' and don't need a legal visa

That would be work to do that involved more than strutting around in a brown uniform. Maybe one day ther will be a crackdown on foreign vagrants.

Its not a choice it is a consequence. Sad really....

i agree with this. It would be very surprising to me that someone would consciously choose to be homeless - wondering where you were next going to eat, sleeping on the street, etc.

I think most of the foreigners that are seen here that are homeless do have some sort of mental disease, but like "glbv" said - was it the homelessness that caused the illness, or the illness caused them to become homeless. My guess is 33% for the first, and 66% for the second.

Its not a choice it is a consequence. Sad really....

Many years ago a british girl was found living in the monsoon drains around Penang. She was showing signs of what appeared to be mental illness.She'd been backpacking around the region. Over time money ran short to the extent where she skipped meals. The lack of adequate food and shelter slowly took its toll leading into a downhill spiral.

The Aussie airforce community took her to their medical department where she recieved treatment, was cleaned up and her family back in the UK contacted. Her family organised her return to the UK.

In those pre internet days contact with the UK or any overseas country was by mail or overseas trunk calls through an operator.

Once back in the UK her family sent a message of thanks informing she had fully recovered.

• Like 1

It is unfortunate that there are homeless on the street, this goes for anyone of any nationality. A foreigner, especially someone from the UK, USA, Germany, Norway, etc should have the right mind to understand when to leave, they got here, how did they get here? They are not from Cambodia or Loa where they crossed the border trying to find a job and better life. We, I could write a book on this and everyone go round and round about what is right and wrong. It's unfortunate but there will always be the poor and of course always be the much more fortunate, life is just as much about being lucky as it is being skilled, not everyone wins. Not everyone uses there capabilities or talents OR even their brains when they come to Thailand - they are to busy trying to be something that they are not and not focused enough to be productive for themselves, society or even most other things unless it's contained in a 1 liter bottle and has an alcohol content label.

Now for all those people here stating they have jobs legally in Thailand with a work VISA, this is great. Would definitely be interested in knowing how to find a job in Thailand as I have been here for years and not a single person I have come into contact with (exception being diving instructors most of which are here illegally or on a student Visa which is still mostly illegal in most cases, not all) can't get or find a job. Most generally always came here with a job already working for an international company or opened their own business, the previous don't want anything to do with Farangs or anyone unemployed, they only want to hang out with the successful and hi-so Thai's which represent very few of the population in Thailand. It is the dream of many farangs that are here in Thailand, they come here they love it! Many want to stay forever and work, they can't find a job, most are very under skilled which is a whole other topic and not qualified any more than many Thai's searching for good jobs. There are some farangs though that are HIGHLY skilled and educated that can't find work, everyone hides the jobs because they want to stay forever is what I have been told by many farang that works here in Bangkok.

I would say if anyone is highly concerned about farangs on the street then help those that are talented that come here. Start a network, invite those that you would want to be here to represent your culture and nationality in Thailand, we are foreigners here, we don't deserve anything special, this is not our country, it belongs to the Thai's and not to anyone else. Action speaks louder than words, want to see change, work to make it happen, be an advocate for what you feel is important, help those that are not as fortunate as you are when you can.

Edited by commande

Someone posted mental health issues in many homeless and I cant deny that. But what came first, the mental health issue or the homelessness.

Excluding some cases of temporary situational or elective homelessness, in most cases the tendencies and cognitive processes come first. Nevertheless, a distinct mental illness may take a while to develop and be triggered by a traumatic experience (later) in life.

There's one that lives under the stairs of Nana station near soi 6 as well.. I used him to illustrate to my girlfriend why we had to jump through so many hoops to get a UK visitor visa.

You have to jump through so many hoops to get a UK visitor visa because there is a homeless farang living under the stairs of Nana station? That's a new one.

I assume poster was referring to USA governments concerns about foreign visitors becoming destitute and being a burden to the welfare system. It actually happens a lot .... apparently even here in Thailand with Americans and Europeans living on the street.

Not to worry, he probably eats out of bins, so has a healthier diet than most Thais.

What?? Actually Thailand's traditional cuisine is probably the healthiest in the world.

Who really cares? I've seen homeless Thais but I've never seen anybody start a thread about them...

Most of them (the Thais as well as the Caucasians) strike me as being good-for-nothing, lazy bums.

Given the choice between working or living off of others they choose the latter.

Oh, and the counter argument that "farangs" aren't allowed to work in Thailand is a pretty lame excuse. I'm not Thai and I work here (legally).

That's how it "strikes" you, huh? How would you know? Sounds like you have already made your judgement without knowing anything about the people, or their personal story.

Actually, farang are allowed to work here legally. I do, I have a work permit. And I.m a farang.

But the point I want to make is that most homeless people are in their situation due to psychological problems, and those problems are often quite severe. Whether the problems have been aggravated by use of drugs, including alcohol, shouldn't really matter. What's important, I think, is that people should try to understand that some people have awful things happen to them that can send their lives into a tailspin. To look at some poor homeless people and instantly condemn them, assuming they are lazy worthless bums who have chosen such a dismal fate is quite naive and immature.

djayz, I have to assume that you are a young man who has been pretty much spoon fed a comfortable life and are unable to see the world from another person's perspective. Of course, you don't like what I say here, but it's not said to make you angry or start a battle -- only in hope that you may find a little more compassion for the less fortunate. Challenge your mind to find a way to empathise with those you encounter through your life. You'll honestly be a better person for it.

... and I too have no desire to start a battle of words, but I would like to point out that I most certainly have not been spoon fed and I am anything but naive or immature. The way I see it, some people live in houses/apartments, have jobs and families, others don't. That's life. It could happen to you or me, that I know and understand.

I'm understand some of the homeless have psychological problems, but I'm convinced most of them are on the streets because of drug/alcohol abuse, bar ladies, mismanaging their money and through pure laziness (the most common reasons). That's just my opinion and I have absolutely no sympathy for any of them - farang or otherwise.

As long as you recognize it's your "opinion" and not necessarily a fact. And if indeed you ever find yourself in a homeless situation ... which you admit is possible ... you better hope others are not as negatively judgmental as you are.

Not to worry, he probably eats out of bins, so has a healthier diet than most Thais.

From what I have seen in the past 12 years, most Thai's eat much healthier food then Farangs, unless they are eating Farang food at McDonald's or other fast junk food chains, from Farang country's.

We brought the junk, coke, plastic, Styrofoam and other things that have made Thailand a dumping ground of junk foods and non-biodegradable products, without the education on how to control it. mirror mirror on the wall...Thai's were doing fine before the Farang and their bad habits changed it all.