Orange Hair

Soph

Ok, another dodgy girl thread, but one im sure alot of you will know all about.

A few months back, my lovely brown/blonde hair was bleached white and then dyed brown by an idiot hairdresser here.

After a while the brown colour faided to orange.

So, I let it grow out until I could stand it no more, and I thought I would dye it myself (as I did for many years in UK with no problems) with a medium brown hair dye I picked up here. (again as I did for many years in UK)

So dyed it, nice result although nowhere near as dark as I would have liked, and then low and behold, a week or so later, the familiar glimpses of orange colour are on their way back out.

I DONT WANT ORANGE HAIR ANY MORE!!!!

Why does this happen? At home I dyed my hair alsorts of colours but certainly never got orange.

I think they put too much peroxide in the dyes here - can any confirm that?

Also, is there a dye I can get sent from UK that doesnt have peroxide?

Any advise to help my orange hair blues would be great :o

Any advise to help my orange hair blues would be great  :o

What you need to do is go to a good salon and have all the haircolor removed. It is VERY much like bleaching hair, and yes, it's VERY hard on your hair. You will then be able to dye all the hair whatever color you like. Frankly, not dying it anymore and just cutting off the orange stuff as it grows out is a better plan.

You might try some drabber mixed with developer (peroxide) to just tone down the orange. I don't suppose it would be wise to ask why you colored your brown hair brown in the first place??

Edited by cathyy

Any advise to help my orange hair blues would be great  :o

What you need to do is go to a good salon and have all the haircolor removed. It is VERY much like bleaching hair, and yes, it's VERY hard on your hair. You will then be able to dye all the hair whatever color you like. Frankly, not dying it anymore and just cutting off the orange stuff as it grows out is a better plan.

You might try some drabber mixed with developer (peroxide) to just tone down the orange. I don't suppose it would be wise to ask why you colored your brown hair brown in the first place??

hey people said i should bottle my orange hair . it all natuall

CAthyy is right, best to get the color removed and have it done professionally, check out some of the hairdresser threads for good recommendations. Also, note, you cannot lighten colored hair with another dye, the color has to be removed.

It is possible to mix your own color, buy the same mix but use less of the developer.

Sorry to hear about your hair, I sympathise completely! I have been coloring my hair for years now (went prematurely gray :o ) and have had a few disastrous coloring experiences, but now pretty much have it down pat.

what about a wash in wash out soph, a lot calmer on your hair as not permanent but will tone down the orange whilst it grows out?

I decided, I am going to become very best freinds with my hairdresser in the UK & then when I come back to LOS for good I can invite her for holiday 2 times a year & get my hair done, with a once a year trip home it should be enough to keep the colour & cut as I only do it about once every 3 months now anyway :D:o

Hey Soph, sorry to hear about your hair, I had quite naturally dark hair and thought I would lighten it with one of those home streaking kits......

I followed the instructions left the bleach in for 20 minutes rinsed it out and shock horror my hair was orange! Apparently when you put bleach in your hair to lighten it you need to wait for the bleach to develope especially if you have brown hair 20 minutes is not long enough as the bleach strips the pigment out of your hair first you will notice your hair is orange, then yellow and then the last stage is blonde (if your lucky) then you need to use a toner to get rid of the yellow/golden highlights. If it makes you feel better I then had to ran down to the supermarket wearing a hat, I dyed my hair brown with a semi permanet colour and my hair then went green! My hair was very fragile from the bleach and the colour I put through it so I went to the hairdressers, cut my hair short and actually loved it!

Now I have blonde highlights in my hair which are done professionally as it takes about 1hr for the bleach to lighten my hair ,I also shampoo my hair with a toner (silver shampoo which is a purple colour) once a week to get rid of the gold.

When I travel to thailand I always take my toner as I have forgotten it on a number of occasions and the hairdressers don't understand what toner is....they want to bleach your hair which is a bit scary!

My advice to you would be to either keep dying your hair with brown until the orange grows out or bit the bullet and go short!

Cheers

Doonagirl

what about a wash in wash out soph, a lot calmer on your hair as not permanent but will tone down the orange whilst it grows out?

I decided, I am going to become very best freinds with my hairdresser in the UK & then when I come back to LOS for good I can invite her for holiday 2 times a year & get my hair done, with a once a year trip home it should be enough to keep the colour & cut as I only do it about once every 3 months now anyway :D:o

What a great idea Boo!!!

Anyway, the panic is over as last night I got my hair highlighted, stating that under no circumstances did I want to see any orange at the end of it. She hightlited 1/2 dark brown and 1/2 light blond, then left the rest as it is. The result is wonderful, very natural looking, not too much and just how I want it.

Im just worried about the condition of my hair, but it seems ok so far, and I will have be keeping a hat on at the beach at all times.

So if anyone has any wondertips of how to look after highlights and stop frizz head, send em this way :D

QUOTE(Soph @ 2005-12-30 09:30:15have be keeping a hat on at the beach at all times.
So if anyone has any wondertips of how to look after highlights and stop frizz head, send em this way :D

[right)

Keep conditioner in your hair under that hat.. It will soak in and keep your frizz (somewhat) under control

Once or twice a week I dont rince the conditioner out, and call that a hat day, or wrap a scarf around your head. When you do rince it, it should feel alright.

The humidity in Thailand is killer for frizzy hair! I like mine to be straight, but its curly no matter what, so it looks frizzy. (highlighted blonde as well)

Good luck!

Frizz? That means curly hair! Naturally Curly is the forum to go to. Think about trying the Curly Girl no-shampoo method. My daughter has been shampoo-free for a couple of years now. My hair is merely wavy, except for a few ringlets, so I shampoo weekly.

Oh, and the hair sounds lovely. Much better than orange!

Advice to anyone who wants to dye their hair brown after having it bleached, or who wants to dye very light naturally blonde hair: you need to "fill" the hair with red first or you will end up green.

Edited by cathyy

Ok girls, My last visit to a professional hairdresser's cost me big time. The fattwat suggseted I have my hair lightened at this juncture my natural hair is(very dark brown) with some silver highlights.

I agree to have my hair lightened big, big mistake The fattwat bleached my hair and it went orange. The mirrors in the salon were smoked/tinted.

A visit to the loo which had natural light pouring through the window and a normal mirror lets me see my hair is now ORANGE.

Now I had gone in to have my hair trimmed, it was almost down to my waist. I came out of the fattwats salon with short, spiky, yellow/orange hair. :o

Frizz? That means curly hair! Naturally Curly is the forum to go to. Think about trying the Curly Girl no-shampoo method. My daughter has been shampoo-free for a couple of years now. My hair is merely wavy, except for a few ringlets, so I shampoo weekly.

Oh, and the hair sounds lovely. Much better than orange!

Advice to anyone who wants to dye their hair brown after having it bleached, or who wants to dye very light naturally blonde hair: you need to "fill" the hair with red first or you will end up green.

I have long hair that is very naturally curly . I have visited the curly hair site mentioned many times and have even tried the no shampoo route. Believe me in Thailand it doesn't work and I have my doubts about it otherwise too. Over here you sweat so much that if you just use conditioner on your hair and no shampoo you will end up with stinky hair...........and believe me if you can smell you own hair and the smell isn't good, others around you can smell it too.

I have found that what worked for me stateside doesn't necessarily work here. A couple of products that have really helped keep my hair soft and manageable are the leave in conditioners by Pantene. I tried the new Dove leave in conditioner and didn't find that it worked as well. For naturally curly hair the thicker the conditioner the better it works. Also, I like the olive oil based shampoo by Feather and their creme rinse/conditoner(followed up with the Pantene leave in.) I put a little pantene leave in on my hair first then if I use any liquid gel in my hair I mix it with the Pantene and then scrunch that into my hair.

I haven't found any professional hair products in the states or here that have worked any better than these.........so far anyway. You can pay big bucks for supposedly curly hair products and they have the exact same thing in them as the regular stuff. Just look at the INCI listing.

Beachbunny

Ok girls, My last visit to a professional hairdresser's cost me big time. The fattwat suggseted I have my hair lightened at this juncture my natural hair is(very dark brown) with some silver highlights.

I agree to have my hair lightened big, big mistake The fattwat bleached my hair and it went orange. The mirrors in the salon were smoked/tinted.

A visit to the loo which had natural light pouring through the window and a normal mirror lets me see my hair is now ORANGE.

Now I had gone in to have my hair trimmed, it was almost down to my waist. I came out of the fattwats salon with short, spiky, yellow/orange hair. :o

Oh my Buddha I could cry for you!! What kind of masichist did you visit?? Always beware of the smokey mirrors.... and don't feel too bad - its only hair and it will grow out!